Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nobody was ever poor betting on Smash and Pokemon though. And speaking of smash:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1057270899957776384?s=19

40 minutes, sweet Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's mediocre as hell. The plot swerves between typical anime and poo poo being mildly interesting, the combat is passable at best, and for a game about music, I couldn't tell you a single song from the game. It wishes it was a Tales game, and falls short on basically every measure.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You can, but not freely. It requires an item called an Overdrive, which is fairly rare. In all honesty, having blades on the "right" drivers is not nearly as important as it might seem, so don't sweat it too hard - pretty much everyone gets at least one plot-locked Blade only for them so you can't gently caress anyone up too badly.

As for the generics, you'll want a decent amount of them for merc missions and they help if you're lacking in a certain element when those checks come up. You can also use this to get more Overdrives late-game by maxing out a 4* (iirc) generic blade and then releasing them.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The difficulty sliders are pass only as well iirc, but by and large the rest of it is available to everyone.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So something new I did notice is that 7.0 broke the YouTube app. The first time I tried to boot it up it said something about my TV not supporting HDCP, and every time after that I just get a black screen that I have to blindly close out of.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What about undocked

Works as normal.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I feel like "outputs sound without requiring you to sync an external speaker" is one of those things important enough that it doesn't count as "working fine".

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The art style is taken directly from the anime, and while the new art is decidedly less striking, I think I probably like it a bit more. It's not a massive difference at any rate. As for Elite specifically, it has been streamlined a bit (I've noticed a couple small conversation branches that have been condensed down to just one route) but it's mostly in service of keeping the plot moving forward so it's not a huge loss.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Digital Foundry ran an article on it and said it runs about 540p and drops to 50-ish FPS in some of the more intense fights but otherwise works great.

E: In performance mode. Standard is 720p at 30 FPS with minor drops.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
She might miss some of the deeper lore references but overall it's pretty standalone. Not a fan of the new main character though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You can't *buy* vouchers after the end of July, but the vouchers themselves are good for a full year after purchase. Plus there's already three unreleased games that are eligible, including Astral Chain which doesn't release until August (?). Would be very surprised if they aren't good for basically any first party game until next year, because they do say the selection will be expanded on the eShop page.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Policenaut posted:

It's very much a series of diminishing returns. I like 3 even if it has the infamous plot twist near the end, and imo 4's gameplay is very fun although you have to suffer some godawful characters to play it. I've never played 5 but all I ever hear of it is that it's like 20 hours long and half of it is backtracking.

Yeah, pretty much. I actually liked what I played of it and thought having all 9 party members out at once was fun a in clusterfuck kinda way but it's suuuuuuper obvious they had negative amounts of budget because they constantly shuffle you back and forth between like, three places.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Midnight EST for all major first party games, noon-ish the next day for most other games but ultimately a crapshoot.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
This... actually looks pretty good? Like, there's a lot of modern DKC in that trailer and even a shoddy approximation of that would be miles ahead of the first game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There's harder modes including a permadeath option if that's your thing, yeah. It definitely is easier than I expected once you get a heart container or two to get rolling.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's like 2.8 GB, the preload has been up for like a month.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Ys 8 is fine, if way too long for its own good, but really you should play it on PS4 if you can. The Switch version runs *really* poorly, like Bloodstained levels of bad.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

DLC Inc posted:

also SolSeraph reviews are out and the verdict seems to be that It Sucks I guess

I really wanted Sol Seraph to be good but the consensus seems to be "Tower defense part is fine, platforming is ball-breaking hard to just poorly designed depending on whose review you read." :(

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

MarcusSA posted:

Yo am I fuckin stupid or what because I can’t for the life of me figure out how to change the perma death mode in FE:Awaking.

Like do I gotta restart the game? I was under the impression you could do it on the fly.

I don't remember if Awakening uses the same system as Fates or not but aside from the beginning of the game, there should be an option in the settings menu for difficulty which lets you switch to casual mode (as well as go down in difficulty, but you can't go up).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
As someone who does like Fire Emblem a lot and finds 3H to be mostly eh, I'm gonna say that a lot of your enjoyment is going to depend on how down you were with Shadows of Valentia. Most of the new mechanics are refinements from that game and they do work very well for the most part (magic especially), but being a better game than Shadow Dragon and Fates is not exactly overwhelming praise.

E: To be clearer, objectively it is pretty good but it is not a game that meshes with my tastes very well.

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 15, 2019

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

sigher posted:

It's weird because I swear I was able to pre-order (and use a voucher) for Link's Awakening like 2 months before the release, and Luigi's Mansion 3 is less than 2 months away. :shrug: I'll just keep waiting.

And holy poo poo a week from Friday I'll be playing Link's Awakening. Hell yeah.

You can spend a voucher and download TMS Encore right now, and it comes out in January. There is no rhyme or reason besides when Nintendo turns on the preloading switch.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

DanielCross posted:

So, I'm at the point right after Yashiro joins in Tokyo Mirage sessions. Is it worth finishing the game on my Wii U, or do I wait for the Switch version and start over?

You're about 75-ish% done. You might as well see it through at this point.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

AI: Somnium Files got a day one patch that supposedly improves performance for those who were concerned from pre-release reviews.

Only played 30 minutes on my commute but seems fine?

I played it for about an hour before the patch and about 2 after, and if it improved things it didn't change much. The game really does not like having to load the AI picture-in-picture stuff and it noticeably chugs when it has to load up a new location, even after the patch.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Most of the moment to moment gameplay actually resembles Phoenix Wright, to be honest. The investigation parts could have come right out of the series and no one would have batted an eye. There are a small handful of sections that basically work like the courtroom segments (someone gives a statement, you have to tell which piece(s) of evidence you have to prove they're lying) but they're short and have no real fail state. And then the dream sequences are puzzle rooms where you have to work out how to clear a sequence of "locks" based on interactions in the room. If you liked PW you'd probably enjoy AI a lot, to be honest.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Macaluso posted:

Anyone tried the Yooka Laylee side scroller yet? Anyone know how it is or how it runs?

Runs perfect, had one small bit of choppiness when it loaded a boss arena but otherwise a straight 60 FPS. The actual game is way tighter than the original and reminds of Tropical Freeze in a good way.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It probably isn't ready for preload, which is when the prepurchase options show up. Give it a week or two and it'll show up.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Willo567 posted:

So did they change anything other than making all the female characters less skimpy?

Because holy poo poo, the comments on this article are pure cancer

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/10/nintendo_apologises_for_tokyo_mirage_sessions_censorship_misinformation_offers_refunds

No. They changed a handful of outfits (all except for one for the better and even that one just looks dumb now), and the reworked the second chapter to be about street fashion and photography rather than gravure modelling and if I hadn't told you that, you would have literally never known it had such a major change.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's good but probably better played on PS4 if you can. Switch version is fine but runs at half frame rate among other things.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There is a lot of school sim in 3H, yes. It's a large part of why I never went back to it after finishing one route, I never wanted to see a second of the monastery again. It's really good if that's your thing, but if you just want to get to the stabby bits, expect to be disappointed.

E: To be clear, the stabby bits are very good, and the game is definitely the best the series has been since like, Path of Radiance. But there's a lot of game there and expect to spend a minimum of ~30 hours on four different routes to see it all, so you had better like what you're getting into.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I just control the protagonist and let the AI do the rest which works pretty well. I do hate that it constantly spams the most powerful, MP hungry attacks all the time though. No Rab, this fight with four slimes does not need a loving Pearly Gates.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

SeANMcBAY posted:

What is this game? I gather no information from the trailers.

It's a surreal adventure game steeped in an Americana setting. It's really hard to describe beyond that because it dabbles in so many things, but the core gameplay is a point and click where your dialogue choices are less about changing the story that is to come and more about fleshing out the background and characters. It's basically a giant play.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

gey muckle mowser posted:

jesus. I'm like 55 hours in and was thinking it must be wrapping up soon.

For what it's worth, I hit the credits around 55 hours, which is roughly the 2/3 mark. It's a long, meaty game, but it's not that long. Like, I spent way longer on Persona 5 and Xenoblade 2.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Savage enemies are always scaled to be above your level no matter what and are intended to be fought using every trick you can throw at them. SP attacks, ad libs if you can rig one, pretty much anything goes and you need to be explicitly hunting them if you want to kill one.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Serious answer, just carry around a bunch of smoke balls, they're a guaranteed escape from battle and they cost like 200 yen at the dark hee ho Mart clerk.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FirstAidKite posted:

Regarding Tokyo Mirage Sessions, idk much about the original game but for the remaster I know they added some new party members in (or at least I think they did). Did they redo any parts of the story to factor in these characters or were these characters basically already there in the story and weren't playable?

They did not. The only thing they added re: party members is that they added a session skill for Barry, Maiko, and Tiki who are otherwise NPCs start to finish and their role in the story hasn't changed.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kvlt! posted:

Are there any decent football/hockey/baseball games on this console?

I don't want stuff like Mutant Football or Golf Story or anything wicked arcade-ey, I'm looking for the closest to NHL/Madden/The Show I can get on Switch

Real deal MLB The Show is supposedly coming for 2021 but in the meantime Super Mega Baseball is a p good substitute. It's a touch more arcadey than The Show but it hits a good balance of arcade concessions and real baseball for me. Plus the third one is coming out in like a few weeks which is going to add free agency and other management type stuff.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It is not related until like 60 hours into the game when it suddenly is but to be honest you don't *really* need to know, it stands on its own just fine.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

not a bot posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sort of interests me. Long enough jrpg with mechas sounds like a good thing and reviews haven't turned me off of it. Still I haven't played any games of the series before and haven't played a lot of modern jrpgs. Octopath Traveller was so boring I couldn't finish it even though I was a huge fan of older jrpgs and I'm wondering if XC2 is tedious in a similiar way.

Worth getting it?

I quite enjoyed XB2 but yeah it does have to be said that it comes with a mountain of small caveats, all of which may or may not be deal breakers. It is absolutely Anime as gently caress (admittedly it's more of a shonen Anime than anything so this could have been way worse), it uses an in-game gacha to summon new blades (there are no microtransactions of any kind, it's purely an in-game thing), you can get sniped by dudes 50 levels higher than you when you're trying to explore, the combat is MMO-y where what you actually do is more of managing and using your skills while the game does auto-attacks, etc, etc, etc. If you're looking for reasons to not like it, Xenoblade 2 has them in spades and I'm not gonna lie to you.

That said, the actual core game underneath is really good (imo). It looks like rear end in portable mode, but the art direction is fine, the sense of exploration is fantastic, the music is gorgeous, and once the full combat system unlocks in Chapter 3, it's really interesting and fun. The storyline gets really interesting once it gets the worst of the anime out of its system (which is thankfully frontloaded), and if you enjoy it at all, the standalone DLC (Torna: The Golden Country) fixes almost all the underlying problems with the game. Plus the season pass comes with a bunch of DLC blades and quality of life stuff that is absolutely worth it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The point of permadeath in FE is less to Ironman it (although you certainly can play it that way) and more to establish character loss as an actual failure condition. It's a lot less appealing to send someone on a suicide mission for some side objective when you don't get them back at the end of the chapter even if they got a bunch of spears through the chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Has anyone tried Raji? Is it good?

Raji so far is okay, the combat feels like it could use a little more meat on the bones and the targeting is kind of rear end (on the bow especially) but the art is great and it's a perfectly functional beat-em-up with light platforming.