Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So this is what we do now, people are lovely to each other and we make new threads and pray it won't happen again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you know what all the possible bonus stars are (there's usually 6 and it picks 3 randomly) you can work towards trying to fulfill the conditions if you want to.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

SMP Toad picks two conditions out of a hat at random.
There may be a reward for the most coins, or there may be one for sticking with an ally, or using the most items, or moving the most, or moving the least, having the most events or whatever...

Huh I had no idea they added so many more for this one. In that case I agree it kinda sucks.

From what I'm finding on google there may be as many as 10 or more possibilities and some (like most or least traveled spaces) are directly contradictory. That's lame

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't like Touch Detective

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It sounds like the handheld controls for TWEWY are identical to the mobile version, is that not the case?

I really wanna see the new chapter but I dunno the DS combat was so fun I think I'd really miss it in this version.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Larryb posted:

I've never played the mobile version so I can't comment and it might be due to the smaller screen or the fact I still had the joycons attached to the sides but I found the touch controls on the Switch to be super awkward when just using my finger. Your mileage may vary of course.

Yeah I always avoided the mobile version for that very reason and was hoping they might find a way to improve the Switch version since there are buttons that could've been used for something in addition like the DS version. But it sounds like nothing was changed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The fact that you can just quit to menu and start up from exactly where your player was standing means that in almost all cases having no pause isn't a big deal.

The one annoying part is if you're fighting a boss since that's the only time that quitting out doesn't put you right back where you were (it puts you outside the boss arena instead).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

That is not and never will be a substitute for a pause button, what the gently caress are you thinking

You think I'm going to quit and reload my save whenever I want to take a sip of water or read the text I just got?

You're not in such constant danger that you can't just stand there for a moment to do something like that. I'm talking about when you need to get up and do something for a bit.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you need to walk away you save and quit.

If you need to occupy yourself in the same room you stand still in a safe place.

It's very simple

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Weedle posted:

This just doesn’t sound like very good advice when the game tries to trick you into thinking unsafe places are safe.

It doesn't

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

you can assume fault all you want but the penalty for me looking away for a matter of seconds was hours of anguish, mandatory grinding and backtracking to fix it.

The suffering of the cursed is too much to bear...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Does Dark Souls at least give you enough time to bone it to the skeletons before they kill ya, I need to know before I start investing in one-handed controllers.

There's binoculars that let you look at skeletons from a safe distance at your leisure!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Seriously, is there something I'm missing or is Night Trap basically designed to be completely unenjoyable?

I don't think it's a huge leap to say that the weird FMV early 90s game might not be very good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Argue posted:

Is there anything I'd dislike about Valkyria Chronicles 1 coming from VC4? Which is better? I only have vague memories of playing the first few missions of it back when it first came out.

I'd say VC4 is overall better thanks to its new mechanics, but VC1 is still great. I'd miss the grenadiers a lot if I replayed it but the map design is still really good and I think you'd still enjoy it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Huxley posted:

I always thought Guacamelee was a side-scrolling beatemup. Is it more like HK/Dig 2? If so, that's $15 spent as soon as I get home.

It's a Metroidvania with beat-em-up style combat. Both it and its sequel are a lot of fun. Go for it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Guac 2 has a room that makes fun of people who complained about the first game's background memes. :twisted:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Yep, basically "look at us being not funny some more! You love it!"

That room cracked me up, it was very good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spirit Tracks had better dungeons, story, and characters than Phantom Hourglass (with the exception of Linebeck, the Best Character, though technically a version of him was in Spirit Tracks too) but its overworld is so miserable that it's the only Zelda game I've tried and failed to replay. I guess I could suffer through it once to get to stuff I hadn't seen, but a second time was too much to bear.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Holy poo poo those cg pokemon are hideous lmao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/JoshuaYehl/stat...3D79%23lastpost

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

psylent posted:

As someone who has never played Pokemon and never really played any JRPGs the last few pages have been... weird. I'm in my late 30s and Pokemons was something my annoying little cousins were obsessed with in the 90s.

I'm happy you're all having fun though.

Alright gramps ;)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Any chances that the new Pokemon game will have some sales next Friday? Don't know how Nintendo does Black Friday stuff since I haven't had a new Nintendo console since the N64.

No

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

Thanks buddy, I'll do that one next and then go back for my proper mercy ending

that song is dope af

*waves arms frantically while shaking head*

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So, about undertale, if I already know that the deal is not killing anyone is it still worth it or have I ruined the big surprise for myself?

That's not a twist. Just play it with that in mind and have a good time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Doom

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

What's the verdict on Octopath, I'm kind of itching to play a jrpg. I know people were kind of down on it because the character stories don't really interact?

Good combat, especially the bosses. Kind of lame story. Goes on too long and the final dungeon really sucks. Definitely a B-tier RPG, there are better choices out there but it could scratch the itch if it's what you really want to play.

And I love super long RPGs as long as the story and characters hold up for the length. Octopath wears out its welcome at about hour 50 and keeps on going.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 3, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cavauro posted:

Is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 good or bad? You don't have to tell me why because that would be too much to ask for free. I'm not on here to make other people go to work all over again

It's okay

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Haanit's path action is bizarre because all it does is let you fight overleveled townspeople that Olberic won't. But it's not actually easier to do her fights (I think it's honestly harder) so you're probably gonna lose and then get penalized.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Sounds great what is this?

Monster Hunter Generations is down to $38 on Amazon, by the way.

The World Ends With You is a really cool RPG that was originally on the DS. It's got a really unique style in its art and music, a fun story, and really good real time action based gameplay. On the switch it can be controlled either in handheld via the touch screen or with joycon motion controls (the DS version was primarily stylus controlled). Handheld is the easiest but I recommend playing with joycons in co-op mode by yourself, letting you control each of the two characters with one hand. It best replicates the DS's original control scheme and is really fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Beastie posted:

Yeah if Tropical Freeze was $60 you can bet that this will be too. I never played any of the Prime games, would I be remiss if I jumped into 4 when it comes out?

Well they're only 3 of the best games ever so you tell me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Gonna smash so hard.

I saw reviews for Smash in general news feeds. Which struck me as weird. Like either you bought smash or you aren't going to buy it right?

Was anybody waiting for reviews on that?

Me

Though really I'm waiting to try it for myself and see if the single player is any good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The switch game is Fire Emblem Warriors, it is not a Fire Emblem game. There will be one on the Switch eventually but for now your best bets are the 3DS or GBA ones.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

LA Noire fuckin sucks

Sad but true

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

disagree at least the open world like, worked. the interrogations and detective poo poo and that whole act of the game where they force you to solve a crime wrong are the worse parts

It's hosed up that the best mysteries in the game occur when you're a traffic cop

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't care about spritegate

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Is the DLC worth getting if you haven't played the game in over a year? I want to check it out, but I heard that some people found it kind of difficult, due to forgetting some controls/mechanics after having not played it for awhile.

Unless you want to play the whole game over again, it should be fine to just play the DLC on your old file. It's not that hard and you'll get back into it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was under the impression that any Amiibo-accessed content was somehow legitimately accessed via gameplay, albeit maybe not easily. Is that not the case?

It varies by game, but no there are lots of them that have Amiibo exclusive stuff. BOTW has a bunch of Amiibo exclusive outfits for instance.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mean maybe it's just me but I don't like the original Donkey Kong Country games at all but I love DKCR and Tropical Freeze in particular. They're just so much better. Skip the old ones and move on to the good stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

To be clear if anyone was momentarily confused like I was, this only applies to the Wii shop, not the Wii U eshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Their faces are totally different and they have like a stalk at the top!

That's just the top of their head above their signature angry eyebrows.