Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

i am playing the perfect console right now, the Nintendo Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Any chances that the new Pokemon game will have some sales next Friday? Don't know how Nintendo does Black Friday stuff since I haven't had a new Nintendo console since the N64.

Pokemon literally just came out...

Also Nintendo hardly ever does sales on its main titles.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'm exactly the guy that complains about Pokemon Let's Go and how I prefer the old encounters, while using repels in Ultra Moon because the random encounter rate is so annoying.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

I just got bayonetta 1 and 2 and started playing them for the first time and it’s a good job the gameplay is fun because the presentation is seriously annoying - big titty anime witches are one thing but the incredibly irritating sidekick and lovely cutscenes nearly made me switch it off before I even got to the actual game

bayonetta is extremely good and the cutscenes are great

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So what's persona? And why is it good?

It's an off-shoot of the Shin Megami Tensei series. Persona 5 is about the Phantom Thieves and their special ability to infiltrate someone's psyche, and Joker is the leader. Inside the psyche "palace", they attempt to steal the person's "heart", which can manifest itself as different things and is guarded very heavily by that person because they don't want to give it up. If successfully stolen, that person will have a change of heart. So the Phantom Thieves use these powers for good and try to change the hearts of bad people.

It's kinda a really really long story and P5 can take over 70 hours to complete. But the Persona series has seen huge success lately because it's super anime. There's a social link aspect where you grow your relationship with other characters. With the female characters, the fans essentially consider it to be a dating visual novel. Persona has very many powerful waifus, and the SMT thread is plagued with waifu chat.

Persona is super anime, but it's also legitimately good. Persona 5 oozes with really loving good art, design, and music. It's extremely stylish.

It's a JRPG but it's not as forgiving and easy as Final Fantasy. It has a pokemon theme to it, too, where you try to capture "personas" (based on real world demons/angels/gods/etc) and level them up or fuse them to make stronger ones. The personas give you certain stats, strengths/weaknesses, and spells.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Persona 5 is light years ahead of XB2. XB2 is a good example of why anime was a mistake. Persona 5 is a good reason for why anime isn't always bad.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

teacup posted:

I’ve been playing smash and I’ve realised with so many fire emblem fighters I’ve never really gotten into the series. Is the switch one any good? Does it have the smash characters in it? I like strategy games and played a lot of FFTA, advance wars and disgaea. I’m mainly scared of it being dumb anime titty poo poo which sometimes disgaea got close to but not bad enough I guess.

FE Awaking is great.

FE Fates gets close to dumb anime titty poo poo.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The Lobster posted:

Hi goons I, Lobster, am bad at Smash. It is true.

How do I make the challenger room appear so that I can fight them again? I can't seem to figure out what triggers it. I have like four guys queued up at this point.

I also believe it's based on time played, but haven't tested it. It's appeared for me after a classic mode as well.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Anyone have things to say about Just Shapes and Beats? I saw one stage on YouTube and it looked real cool but I’m open to differing opinions. How does it feel, control-wise?

I really liked the game! The controls feel pretty tight, and each stage is mostly just learning the patterns. The story is surprisingly cute and better than I expected. Even if you have difficulty with stages, there's an easier mode which is perfectly fine to just play and chill. I recommend getting it if the visual and audio aesthetic interests you.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

That's unfortunate, I wanted to play another quirky RPG but I guess I'll pass on YIIK. Don't really wanna touch pretentious garbage and scoff at people that haven't read Murakami.

Can anyone recommend if GRIS is actually good?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

YIIK more like YIIKES

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

They shouldn't make any new FF games anymore. Just keep porting the old ones to switch, thanks.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The best FF is Tactics and should be on the switch and allow you to play with either translation

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

in botw2 let us date the fish man, you cowards

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

You guys are top notch with your detailed responses. Thanks a lot.

Any dungeon crawlers in the style of Etrian Odyssey or Dungeon Travelers (fanservice not required.. gameplay is really good, I swear). I know there's D3 but I'm looking for something more explore/team/turn.

How about rhythm games? I played a good lot of P5 Dancing Whatever game and enjoyed it. I see there's quite a few out there - any standouts?

Look, I'm trying really hard to justify buying a Switch so I can play Tetris 99. TIA :D

There's Crypt of the Necrodancer, which is both a roguelike and a rhythm game.

I hear Darkest Dungeon is good, but I haven't played it.

For rhythm I recommend Thumper, and Just Shapes and Beats.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Octopath's art style is reallybad for anything thats not an RPG and it sucked exploring dungeons and I am excited to play the LA remake because its a good game and I don't have rose tinted glasses with regard to bad gameboy pixels

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

link's awakening is extremely good and the remake is going to be good

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Put bowsette in smash

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Reggie decided to crash an orientation I was in at NoA one time. He took up most of our time talking about how he playtested Goldeneye and had competitions with the other testers. The dude is great. Nintendo execs not being mindless suits is a good thing for this industry.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm kind of bummed that they're replacing Reggie, a person of color, with another white guy. I mean I understand that he is likely the right guy for the job and all but still. :(

also lol

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

No it's your mansion you're the resident

Get off my lawn and get a job, you drat zombies

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

lmao

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

speaking of final fantasy, how's the WoFF port? I see it's $20 on the eshop right now instead of $40 and i'm kinda eyeing it

WoFF is not very good but some people think its a really cute game

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

FFT is amazing because you can break it and play it in so many different ways and still get bodied by a few bosses if you're not prepared. It's such a good game.

FFTA wasn't very good, but I did enjoy FFTA2 for what it was. It's just nowhere near as memorable as FFT.

Port FFT to the Switch, or I'll blame myself or god.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

only if liquid ocelot's super attack involves him on a boat and killing everyone with finger guns

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

They can update the graphics and add some speed-up option, so w-summon kotr doesn't take 5 minutes.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

re-translate ff7 with better localization and maybe voice acting, but keep her name "aeris".

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

the speedup has only been added recently, but if you played the pc re-release any time after like 2016 then it's been there. there's no reason the switch version shouldn't have it

I just downloaded ff7 switch. It has a x3 speedup option with left click. That's really cool and will really help with bahamut and kotr.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Did it launch a nuke at you?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

Bombs are like a spit in the wind against actual enemies you need to fight. Everyone says bombs are useful but theyre useful against the trash mobs Im already just running past because theyre timewasters.

I've killed plenty of Hinoxes with bombs, especially the one on the island because I didn't have the resources.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't know who the guy in the Gameboy pic is and I didn't realize that's a problem. Some people (including myself) just don't watch many movies and don't know poo poo about celebrities.

I'm a pretty normal dude, I think.

it's just weird to some people that you haven't been exposed to any popular culture whatsoever in the past 10 years.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Trasson posted:

There's a difference between being exposed and actually taking in that information. Like I might read or hear someone's in some movie or other but it's going to get forgotten in like ten minutes unless that information is actually something I care about because I watch about five movies a year.

Not recalling every bit of data that you're exposed to regardless its relevance or your interests isn't being some weirdo who lives under a rock, it's called being human.

I can understand that, but it's still a little hard to believe that something as ubiquitous as the MCU didn't leave a small impression on you in the past eight years to the point where you can maybe slightly recognize Chris Evans as some dude in that one popular thing other people watch that you don't care about.

Like you don't have to lecture me about not giving a poo poo. I am the king of not giving a poo poo about things.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Huxley posted:

How are you all seeing that playtime rank screen? I updated but can't find it.

Go all the way to the right to see all the software . Then there should be a dropdown menu where you can select your sorting criteria.

I have mine sorted by recently played. If I sort by total playtime, disgaea is up there but I know I'll never play it again.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Square’s business model in 2019 is releasing games from last time they were good, and games that reference that time like music crossovers, fighting crossovers, and like 17 different mobile game crossovers

The window between new FF games is so wide that children literally grow into adulthood without seeing any new FF titles. Squeenix lost a whole generation of kids to impress their biggest IP upon so they rely on ancient and stupid people like me to pay $100+tax for FF10 and 12 in the year 2019.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

Does H'aanit's plot in Octopath become interesting at any point or is it all just concerned growling and people talking like ren fair idiots?

you get a cool dog tho

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

gamers rise up

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

People bring up the combat, which is bad imo, but the story isn't very good and the characters aren't very good either. If you like spending hours automating your combat, FF12 might be cool for you I guess.

I hear DQ11 is cool for automating combat too but I dunno, I like the stimulation of manually micro-managing each encounter even if it is mindless.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

finally i'll be able to play the game on god's chosen console

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Has anyone played Gato Roboto yet? It's 15% off right now and I'm curious if it's actually decent or if I'll regret spending my 20 piece chicken nugget money on something else.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

i am so dumb that i will buy two versions of the same drat pokemon game despite the versions only having 3 things different from each other that you can trade with other people to get for free, and then happily do it all again next year when sharper sword and bigger shield comes out

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

HK controls and animations all feel very tight to me. Bloodstained feels slow, floaty, and laggy at parts and sometimes I just have to put it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Conquest had really great gameplay but the story dragged it down. Birthright was pretty bad. Awakening was great altogether imo.

The 3ds FE era of going full on anime tiddies and waifu wars is over, unless three houses also has dating and petting simulations.