Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Anyone know anything about the allegations made against Waid by Shannon Pierce-Outlaw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It was the reason I asked here, I'd never heard of boundingintocomics before but after clicking round it seemed like a solid comicsgate platform so couldn't be trusted and I'd never heard of her before. Doesn't seem to have gone much further than that CG site and her facebook.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I think the worst thing is when someone changes the gender of a character they say 'no backsies' so you can never change the gender again at any time ever.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, my. The CG subreddit.

I wonder what constitutes 'concern trolling' for ComicsGate.

I admit I might not want to know this but what is the Batgirl variant cover controversy?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

RevKrule posted:

DC solicited this as a variant for an issue:

The theme is incredibly in bad taste and people were not happy about it because of that. The artist himself wished for it to be unlisted as well. DC did just that and it upset a bunch of mega chuds who refused to see why it's problematic.

Here's a quick article on it.
http://time.com/3755285/batgirl-joker-cover-controversy-feminism/

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

^^^ much better explanation than mine and ugh, that’s so much worse than I remembered!

From memory (so apologies if I gently caress up a detail) this refers to a Batgirl cover from a few years ago that featured Joker threatening her in a chokehold or something similar. We get plenty of covers like this in comics, but there was a strong negative reaction to this one, especially due to her terrified, weeping expression. Given the history of the characters the cover felt like it was selling the story on fallout from The Killing Joke and reveling in that. The pushback was enough for DC to change the cover, and of course chuds screeched censorship.

I don’t remember what the changes were. I do think you could have done the exact same pose but changed Batgirl’s expression to be angry and annoyed - something that communicates she’s over Joker’s poo poo, unafraid of him, and the next 28 pages are her kicking his rear end in classic bat-fashion the average person would expect from a bat-book. I think someone even photoshopped the cancelled cover to that effect to demonstrate how the change in expression communicates a very different story.

Thanks, I think I remember something about it now, but I'd forgotten most of the details. That is some cover :holymoley:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Oh it's someone I've known for a long time and usually when confronted with facts he backs off.

Not hanging on every opinion of a white man is 'white genocide' don't ya know.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Renfamous has a whole little thread about how CG IndieGoGos are failing this year whereas EVS' new one for even more of the same issue of Cyberfrog is already at 80K, shooting the idea of 'ComicsGate wants a community of new comics' in the head.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1107733387362607104

(One wonders how much of that is Ethan trying to prime the pump.)

So this Ethan fella opened a kickstarter for Cyberfrog and got it funded, but didn't deliver. He then opened a second kickstarter for the same thing(?) that also got funded, but didn't deliver. Now he has started a third kickstarter for the same thing and it looks like it will get funded? That is mind blowing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Would you now be shocked to learn how little of the project he's done since the first Kickstarter? He openly states - brags, almost - how it's not been scripted, possibly even plotted, and he's been posting panels that some of which he has drawn before. The original IGG is seven months late and counting.

Was his the one that was having "problems with the printers"?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Now that you mention it I don't think he's played that card. That's more Dickie Meyers and Mike Miller's go-to excuse.

Now you say it I think that may have been him.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kojiro posted:

It's really worth underlining here that it isn't Kickstarter they're using, it's Indie "Get The Funds Even If You Don't Reach Goal" GoGo

Yes, you are correct I missed the IGG in the tweet.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

TheHan posted:

Look at how much I don't care about these crappy toys, as I buy dozens of them and then record myself dismembering them for Youtube.

It's the "for the entertainment of tens of thousands" part that makes me laugh. What collection of Baevis and Butthead motherfuckers think cutting up an action figure is entertaining?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I have read stuff that says it's the chuds who are the ones who actually engage with that sort of thing the most, so they probably are plopped in front of his YouTube channel going 'you MAY take in a billion dollars at the box office but you'll NEVER TAKE our freedom to cut up your action figures!'

Wanderer posted:

There's a certain lunatic fringe out there in the Discourse who would ritually self-immolate if they thought it would, somehow, even if only for a second, "trigger a lib."

They could hold the action figures while they did it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1114152157542924288

Once again, for the cheap seats, "deadlines and women are made to be broken."

Somewhat less ghastly, wasn't one of the reasons EVS got bounced by DC was he couldn't meet deadlines?

The way he said it makes it seem like a "trigger the libs" type quote. But if I had considerable brain damage and was an EVS fan I'd be quite pissed off that he's doing these videos and not getting the comic out there. One deadline missed you can forgive and maybe at a push two, but he seems to miss deadlines as a hobby. He says the SJWs are obsessed with him but he seems absolutely obsessed with them, like his job is to make videos and the comic is a side hustle.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dreqqus posted:

Making the videos/riling up the chuds is his job now. I wouldn't say making the comic is enough of a priority to qualify as a side gig.

Skwirl posted:

If he actually published the comic he couldn't have anymore "go fund me's" for it.

Probably showing my naïvety. I guess I thought EVS to be saying something like "Forget those comics with politics. I'm doing comics that have men with big muscles and women with big tits and awesome fights. Fund me and you'll get a copy." I guess I forgot it's all about the grift.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Well you see, Disney bought out all those theaters so...

Yes, I remember going to watch it and the theater was empty, the people around me agreed the theater was empty as well. So sad.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

When was the first kickstarter for cyberfrog? I'm trying to figure out how many pages Kirby would have completed in the time it's taken EVS to not draw his single, 44 page comic.

It's gotta be a couple hundred right? During the early years Marvel published 8 books a month and I think at least half of them were drawn by Kirby.

That's why I love this tweet

https://twitter.com/d_yeisley/status/1115976034904629250

Man, with the amount of time that has gone by you'd better see the characters DNA.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Every reason not to? Are they still salty over what she said about critics?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

*What she said about members of press in prerelease functions and interviews.

Did she say anything beyond not caring so much about what white middle aged male critics said about A Wrinkle in Time?

I had a look at some stories on Bounding into Comics (is that a chud site?) and I don't see what these people are getting at, she had a fun exchange with Hemsworth that people seem desperate to turn into a poo poo fight and she differs with Renner about what she wants to do with celebrity which...ok I guess.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dreqqus posted:

Bounding is a terrible chud site. I had a protracted battle with Google's algorithm to get that off of my Discover.

Dawgstar posted:

Bounding Into Comics and Bleeding Fool are both giant ComicsGate house organs. BiC is run by noted absolute twit Edwin Boyette.

Thanks. I thought that was the case after seeing some of the headlines on the site.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, CG thinks they have it covered. This was the "evidence" that the deposition was a lie.

https://twitter.com/AndreaCheeseca1/status/1120852830594588672

Weird that they've had this since June and DiC's lawyer hasn't, as far as I know, used it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

On the one hand, you're probably making a big assumption that Dickie's lawyer(s) are actually good at their jobs. On the other, it's certainly fake.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on being competent. Yes, I have a feeling you're correct.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I was screencapped at the Farms posting the picture of the results talking about it in Trad Games:

It is frankly baffling how they've attached their egos to a crappy YouTube lawyer's legal prowess.

Who are the NPCs in this context? I thought NPCs were what they called the SJWs.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Dawgstar is the NPC, because anyone who argues leftist sentiments is a programmed non-person.

It is, of course, projection.

Thanks, I've let this whole NPC thing pass me by.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wanderer posted:

You were better off.

Seriously, it blows my mind. The idea behind the "NPC" designation is that they're accusing people of not thinking for themselves and downloading pre-programmed arguments, which means they aren't really people and can be conveniently ignored. This, from a political bloc that thinks in tweets and image macros while all using the same shallow pool of slang and congregating around a handful of political figureheads.

I feel like I am better off. I guess because they're willing to 'discuss' race & IQ then they feel as if they're true free thinking people rather than morons regurgitating centuries old racism.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

You should see the mental hoops they jump through to accuse people against them of stuff. Like Renfamous, who cancelled her ticket to a con that had dis-invited then RE-invited Vic Mignogna. They claim she knew it was going to happen and that planned to make a big deal out of getting her refund. That is the mental leap you must make to not be an NPC.

Even if it was true, so what? Or is Renfamous so popular that her decision can cripple a con?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The way CG talk about those two reminds me of the Straw Feminists comic from Hark, a vagrant.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just think how much Endgame would have made if it didn't have Brie Larson in it. My sources found here say Endgame has underperformed.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

https://twitter.com/chloehandler/status/1126946967546777600?s=21

Patiently waiting for this dickhead to suffer literally any consequences for this scummy bullshit

Are we watching a breakdown happen in real time?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

site posted:

no hes just being real lovely and insulting trans people

He's coming across like a massive bellend crybaby. But I guess that's par for the course for him.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/cosmicbooknews/status/1127237340785782785?s=19

Underperforming compared to the movie its already made hundreds of millions of dollars more than?

That story is like a cry for help.

Ironically some interesting stuff here though

https://twitter.com/cosmicbooknews/status/1126690202351575040

Pity it ain't real.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

When you are normal and well-adjusted about your comic book movies.

That can't be real. The whole "women should be in the kitchen" seems a little too on the nose.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Millar also thinks child rape and prison rape are the funniest loving things ever.

:wtc:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

God, what a pathetic attempt to be edgy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What could Streisand have done to piss him off that much? Also:

Dawgstar posted:

"Shi" creator Billy Tucci is kind of a centrist dimwit, in case you were wondering.

https://twitter.com/BillyTucci/status/1131042974895362048

That Ro fella is more of a bullhorn that a dogwhistle.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

It was 2004, and she'd been a Famous Celebrity Democrat Supporter for decades at that point. She did anti-racism concerts with Harry Belafonte in the 1960s, supported [insert thing that asks women to be treated as humans/equals] for forty years, made it onto Nixon's Enemies list, etc. She'd been critical of the Bush administration but not more than a hundred other famous people, though she also committed the unique crimes of being successful singing songs that aren't for REAL MEN, she's got a BIG NOSE that definitely isn't symbolic of anything deeper, and also she's a woman over 40 and so she isn't even fuckable by Billy Tucci's standards (the next question in that Q&A is about who he finds the most fuckable).

So in other words, a perfect target for some ha ha fantasies about murdering famous liberals.

Something tells me he's really into Asian women.

Edge & Christian posted:

Even amongst Comicsgaters his online persona is psychotic.

<Insane ramblings>

:eyepop: dude needs help.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Adam and Eve (who are only in it for a minute) are black, Frances Mcdormand narrates it and is explicitly called "God" in the title.

I feel like I don't want to know this but why would Adam and Eve have to be white?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

You already know the answer to this.

Yeah but I just don't want to think it.

Skwirl posted:

Because that's how they were painted by a bunch of Italians 700 years ago.

Man we Europeans really hosed up the world.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

David D. Davidson posted:

Well that depends on if you count the UK as being part of Europe. If not, 40% otherwise 60 America hosed up 27% The remaining is them loving up their own lands. Usually as a response to whitey loving up 97% of the world.

Yeah we are part of Europe no matter how many people wish we weren't.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

TIL Cyberfrog is actually an old creation, I thought EVS created it very recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it's that. Comic companies offered (and continue to offer!) tons of variant covers for "BUY 69 COPIES OF ASSBLASTER #420 AND GET 1 NUDE VARIANT COVER!" which comic shops will charge extra for.

I've been quietly giggling to myself about a hero called 'ASSBLASTER 420' for a couple of minutes, thank you.