Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
From one of the Japanese militaria otaku I follow:

context:
https://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/07/world/maastricht-journal-dutch-want-back-the-fossil-napoleon-took-away.html

quote:

Ms. Rompen said that in 1780 quarry workers found the fossil embedded in a dark recess of St. Peter's mountain near Maastricht and lugged it to the home of the landowner, Theodorus Godding, who was a canon at a local church.

The official French version says the canon did not appreciate the fossil's value, so when Napoleon's troops invaded in 1794, he offered it "as a donation to the French Government," after swapping it for 600 bottles of wine.

But Ms. Rompen, who has examined archives covering the two decades of the French occupation of Maastricht, said she found a 1794 decree from Paris ordering the "famous skull" to be seized and taken to France. She also found copies of letters from the canon's niece to the French Government, repeatedly asking that the skull "so vulgarly stolen" be returned. Paris did not respond.

In the Paris Museum of Natural History, the disputed head lies in a low glass case. It is not easy to spot in the great gallery full of shelves, cabinets and pedestals stuffed with ancient bones.

"Well, no, I'm not aware of any government request for the Mosasaurus," said Philippe Taquet, director of the museum's paleontology department. In any case, he said, it could not travel. "It's very fragile, very precious."

pthighs posted:

I'm no expert but I know Patton designed a cavalry sword for the US Army in the interwar period. Presumably he was selected for to his long experience and social standing. I'm guessing his getting and cavalry experience informed whatever changes he made to the design.

Patton's design was a departure from traditional sabers though. IIRC it was a straight-bladed sword with a pistol-grip that was perfectly balanced for thrusting and would have been more familiar to a fencing student, as Patton had gone and studied under some French cavalry masters at Samur who told him that slashing from horseback is less likely to kill than a stabbing attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Nah a Silkworm AShM carries a shaped charge big enough to cut through a Iowa's citadel. Since the 70s the logic has mostly been "don't get hit."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZXHsNqkDI4

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
IIRC the first two settings on the G3's diopter sights are both zeroed at 200 meters but the first one is a V notch intended for shooting at helicopters or in low-light conditions, and you're supposed to use the other 200 meter one for regular shooting.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
A IFV becomes a tank when the infantry disembark. Especially the BMP-1, because it has a cannon instead of a auto-cannon.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

FrangibleCover posted:

That's pretty good, but instead of removing the AAMG why not put it in a comically large commanders cupola a la M60? I'd also suggest some possible "upgrade" paths:
- Gas Turbine, but without a fuel capacity expansion
- Concrete armour like the Finnish StuGs
- Laser Warning System. Not because it's a bad feature in itself, just because the idea of the tank telling you that you are about to die without you being able to do anything about it is terrifying.
- Explosive Reactive Armour... but only on the sides, like Chonma-Ho III

Well if the laser warning system is set up to automatically arm and/or fire the smoke dischargers you've got more of a chance, especially if the laser is from a ATGM rangefinder instead of a gun system, since you'll have more time to change position behind the smoke. Even better if it can indicate where the laser is coming from and automatically slew the turret, a snap shot at whoever's firing the laser might throw off their aim.

But to all that I'd add:
- The laser warning system has the same alert noise as a more mundane alarm.
- Twin fixed forward machine guns that the driver can fire so they don't feel left out. (the Stuart, M3 Lee and early Shermans had this, I presume in the field they'd likely get used as spares for the coax/bow guns or traded to infantry for stuff)
- A gun-missile system that doesn't have a big enough HE shell for being effective against infantry/buildings, the muzzle velocity is too low to effectively use HEAT rounds against moving targets, and the ATGM doesn't have good armor penetration and has a overly long minimum range.
- The Coax is a slow-firing auto-cannon mounted outside of the turret, there isn't a traditional GPMG at all.
- For a British tank, the water boiler has a open flame.

To cheat, add "it's the Soviet export model" to the end of anything that's been proposed.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

Most Soviet export tanks were actually quite decent. They had a tiered system for exports, and as long as you're not on the bottom of the list like Iraq was, a Soviet export tank is a perfectly fine tank. The export version of the T-72A obr. 1983 was available for export as the T-72M1 at least as early as 1985, and the only major downgrade was the absence of the anti-radiation lining, IIRC.

Uh yeah the T-72M and T-72M1 was what Iraq had in 1990. According to Zagola the T-72M had the original T-72 armor profile and were upgraded with applique to bring it to T-72A standard. The T-72M1 incorporated the armor improvements on the base model. Both had the upgraded laser FCS from the T-72A, and these Czech/Polish tanks were the main type of T-72 used by non-Red Army forces such as East Germany, Poland, etc.

it's odd that the narrative has gone from "monkey models didn't exist" to "they only sent the bad ones to Iraq."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL1DkrYL70s

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
It's worth noting that the Russians attempted to obtain two Mistral class LHDs, which ended up being bought by Egypt at-cost after the French decided hey maybe it's not the best idea to sell amphibs to the country that just went full Anschluss and started a civil war in Ukraine. So at a minimum it appears that at least up until 2014, Russian naval planners considered the lack of amphibious capabilities to be something that needed to be worked on.

Similarly the PLAN's 6 Type 071 LPDs and 3 Type 075 LHDs are, IMO, a far more important development than their carrier program. Yes it's very exciting to have a couple squadrons of real fighters on a boat like America and France, but being able to send in a MEU with armor is something that shows you're a real world power.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I wouldn't really call Red Army "better" since IIRC it's the one where a officer character heroically murders a bunch of POWs and then changes into civilian clothes to escape being captured.

Wouldn't recommend reading anything by Ralph "Actually the Iraq War was Good" Peters anyways on moral grounds.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don’t forget that the wheeled stuff is cheaper and requires less logistical support.

I was just going to say that. Pretty much any industrial country that can make large trucks can make a BTR-60 knockoff, or at least something like the various South African APCs.

A joking theory I've seen is that the number of domestic Warsaw Pact APCs were partially a political resistance to Russian rule via making equipment the Red Army couldn't use the spare parts for. See also stuff like the Vz.58.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

During the 17th century, say, English warships would be "rebuilt" periodically. This meant essentially disassembling the ship, discarding the bad wood, and building a new ship with the remaining good wood and new material as necessary. The new ship would retain the same name and be treated as a continuation of the old ship in official documentation, but could end up quite different in particulars.

That said, I recently read a history of 50-gun ships from the Stuarts to the fall of Napoleon and it seems like half of them were lost to storms or other hardships in the first century of that period.

Baltimore claimed for a long time that their USS Constellation was the actual original Constellation via Ship of Theseus timber reuse, but it turned out it was a different ship entirely.

And IIRC after capturing the USS President in the war of 1812, the British used her for a while as the HMS President, scrapped her after the war, and then rebuilt a exact copy because apparently the design was good enough for the Royal Navy and they wanted to keep the ship around as a "reminder" to the US.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

1. What the heck were A4 missiles made of? Military History visualized makes mention that was using about 5% of the aluminum used by the German aircraft industry. But, aircraft aluminum I thought gives up the ghost above mach 2.5. Is this a "it lasts just fine for one use" thing? Or are ballistic missiles still made of steel and I never realized?

Probably just plain old mild steel, maybe stainless/high carbon steels in areas where more strength was needed. I'd bet the aluminum was used more for internal components or alloys (Aluminum-Magnesium) in such.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Plus the M3 Lee wasn't half bad as a Babby's First Medium Tank.

These tanks are the state of the art when the Lee first rolls of the assembly line:
Panzer IV ausf. E (short 75mm gun, 30mm of front armor)
Panzer III ausf. F (37 or 50mm gun, 30mm of front armor)
T-34 model 1941
KV-1 model 1941
Valentine II

The Lee outguns all of these, outarmors all but the KV-1, outranges all but the T-34, and is faster than all except the T-34. Hell, the Lee's piddly little 37mm gun could reliably defeat any tank belonging to a hostile nation in 1941. The Lee was probably the most technologically advanced and best made tank of 1941, but it's layout was ridiculous because it was made by a nation that had literally zero experience with armoured warfare at that point in time.

It's also worth noting the rapid timeline of US tank development:

1936:
Rock Island Arsenal begins working on the T5 Medium Tank.

1939:
April: Medium Tank T5E2 begins testing at Aberdeen, it's a M2 Medium Tank prototype with a 75mm gun in a sponson.
June: Rock Island finalizes the design of the T5 as the M2 Medium Tank and builds 18 of them.

1940:
June-July: The design of the M3 Lee is finalized.
August: The specifications for what would become the M4 Sherman are issued on the last day of the month. A wooden mock-up of the M3 Lee is delivered. The ordinance board orders the M3 into full-scale production. Despite the design being obsolete, Chrysler is contracted to deliver 100 M2A1 Medium tanks a month between then and August 1942 because the army needs tanks now and they'll just swap the order to M3s or M4s as production comes on line.

1941:
February: M4 Sherman design work starts.
March: First M3 Lee prototype is finished and begins testing at Aberdeen.
May: Factories begin delivering the first pilot prototypes of the M3 Lee.
August: M3 Lee enters production. M2 Medium tank production is halted at 94 units.
September: M4 Sherman prototype T6 is finished. First 20 M3s reach the UK.

1942:
February: The cast hull M4A1 Sherman enters production.
July: The welded hull M4 Sherman enters production.

C.M. Kruger fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 19, 2018

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there a dedicated thread for wargames, especially the PC variety. I don't have search :(

Here's the thread for computer wargames:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543909

Funnily enough over the years I feel like I've lost my taste for tactical-level wargaming as I've gotten older and more aware of what war entails.

Anyways can anybody comment on if the Rikugun/Kangzhan books about the IJA/IJN and Chinese military forces by Leland Ness worth checking out? Asking since the Kindle editions are on sale for a few bucks each on Amazon right now. There seems to be a general sale on WWII stuff by Glantz and other authors too.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well I'm pretty good at wc3 which I'd say is way more tactics than strategy for the most part. I'm also good at Advance Wars which is like an ultra watered down TBS game. Sometimes I would like to play on some huge hex style ACW or Napoleonic sim.

Sorry, I meant "tactical level" in the sense of the scale. Abstracted strategic/operational level Hearts of Iron/TOAW/CMANO stuff is fine, it's just I've somewhat lost my taste for Advanced Squad Leader/Steel Panthers level stuff where your mistakes get individuals killed. Though partially due to this, Burden of Command is one game I'm really looking forwards to.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/887490/Burden_of_Command/

There's also a thread for more generalist strategy games too:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869771

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

FrangibleCover posted:

Before this discussion about the Merkava ambulance goes any further, has anyone ever seen one with protected ICRC markings on it? Otherwise it's a hypothetical war crime in the same way that you could hypothetically paint a protected symbol on any other AFV and not really worth discussing.

I can't even find any photos of a regular one equipped with the loadout, while I can find ones of M113 and M4 Sherman ambulances used by the IDF, so I doubt it's a common thing or even exists beyond something that had testing/standardization done because some Merkava crews dropped their ammo loads to extract wounded soldiers during it's initial usage in 1982 and they figured it'd be a good idea just to standardize a setup for it, or it was possibly used as a stopgap due to the slow introduction of the Namer APC, which has it's own dedicated medical version.

This "Jewish war crime ambulances :byodood:" poo poo is ludicrous anyways because even if the kits were in use, it would clearly be the same situation as using a regular Bradley or BMP or whatever to evac wounded.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can't say I've come across that improvisation so far, and I'm now quite curious considering the Japanese pole charges were suicide weapons. Either he used a longer pole or the method of employment is different.

US pole charges were basically a bundle of TNT on a stick so they could be jammed right up into a gun port or door by infantry assaulting bunkers. The main complex feature appears to be that the piece of wood the TNT was on was attached with a bolt to the pole so it'd be able to swivel and could be pressed flat against a surface. I gather there wasn't a standardized design and they were fabricated as-needed by engineer units. The final two images are from before D-Day according to the French site I found them on, and the charges thus have sections of flotation material attached to them.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hesco bastions have seen a lot of use overseas (and I guess over here for flood control) in Operation BUD but wasn't there a type of one that was plastic and could be filled with water or am I thinking of something else. I'm only asking because I know i've seen them (on tv shows...) and they're big cube shaped containers but they might just be used for holding water. I'm only asking because once upon a time I was reading Wikipedia on something (probably the bastion) and they included stats on how resistant it was to certain things, including RPGs. They might have removed it after an editing dispute or something.

These things maybe? About the only similar thing I could think of would be temporary jersey barriers that are filled with water but those aren't anywhere near the size of a HESCO wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m4rKRZ9kxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJvjqQwMT4U

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

The US is an order of magnitude more vast, and I don't think approaches the British level of a tamed countryside anywhere, not even in New England or the tidewater that have been inhabited the longest.

Just think of all the healthy and uninjured people who manage to get lost and die in the woods/desert in the US or Canada. I can't really imagine that happening in Europe outside of say, Scandinavia or Northern Scotland, or some of the really rugged alpine regions, most other places you could probably just pick a direction and keep walking until you find a farm or road or something.

Hell IIRC that's the common theory about what happened with the Death Valley Germans, they got lost and figured "oh we'll just go to this military base and get found by a perimeter patrol", except bases like China Lake are built in barren wastelands because nobody wants the land and they don't have to do patrols, so they died.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I'm from Northern California (no, not the northern bay area, think more north, think State of Jefferson) and I used to get regular phone alerts about mountain lions being spotted near or on the campus I was going to. A elderly couple got attacked by one a hiking trail around a decade back and one of them almost died from the infections. And a couple years back one of them killed some alpacas at a elementary school while the kids were in their morning classes.

As another sort of comparison here's a map of Nevada overlayed onto Western Europe:

The population density of Nevada is such that north of of Vegas (the bottom tip) and east of Reno and Carson City (slightly above the angled corner) there's one city (Elko) larger than 10,000 people, and there's only enough people to support 4-5 Walmarts and a couple Target/K-Mart/Sears competitors last I checked, and most of them are over near Reno. McDonalds are more common (10 last I counted, Elko has two) but not to the point that Nevada has the McFarthest Spot.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Timeshare castles. :eyepop:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

P-Mack posted:

As practical matter it's considerably harder to get access to Russian archives than it was in the immediate post cold war period.

"what archives?" says FSB clerk throwing boxes of gulag records into incinerator.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

EDIT: In fact, despite their wildly opposed popular reputations, the StG 44 is a lot like the Chauchat. By virtue of being the first widely used and successful versions of their respective concepts, they're worse than everything that came later but better than any reasonable contemporary alternative. Plus they both have pretty crappy magazines.

I recall, from something I read like a decade ago admittedly so I don't know if it's true, that magazine production for the StG44 was very low, only like 3-4 magazines per gun for the entire production run.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not sure how much of it was just technology of the time rather than conscious design decisions.

Open mags was a gimme but hey they make sense for a MG on an airplane

Part of it certainly stems from designers just trying to figure out how to make things work in the first place, which is why you get things like the Luger's toggle-lock mechanism and/or toggle-lock rifles.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

There were StG 44 production lines in Occupied Yugoslavia, and when Yugoslavia was liberated, these remained in Yugoslavian hands. The StG 44 was the service rifle of the Yugoslavian paratroopers until 1983. They'd licensed their own version of the AKM in 1970. It could just be organizational inertia, but Yugoslavia spent thirteen years issuing StG 44s to their most elite troops and AKMs (M-70) to the rank-and-file.

Well before the AKM they were using bolt-action M48 rifles right? IMO that late in the Cold War you'd really be better off getting your regular troops switched over to automatic rifles first, the paras can make due with their gear that's "good enough" before changing over at a later point.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

FastestGunAlive posted:

The scope of the pacific campaign, even if it was seconded by Europe first, was pretty vast. Look at the distances involved, just seeing a map doesn’t do the logistical challenge justice. Some pretty savage battles that certainly don’t merit being described as “putzing”. I feel your thoughts on how the allies should have handled Europe and Africa come off as very... videogamey. Or at the very least a simplistic overview of manpower numbers. War is incredibly complex

Not to mention Lend Lease. The US was feeding and arming something like 60 divisions worth of Red Army troops and sent almost as much supplies to the Soviets as were sent to support US forces in Europe. Explosives (from shell filler to gunpowder) from the US was something like 50% of Soviet production. Something like ~2,000 locomotives and ~12,000 railway cars that accounted for 80% of new rail equipment in the USSR during the war.

Stalin posted:

Without American production the United Nations could never have won the war.

Georgy Zhukov posted:

Now they say that the allies never helped us, but it can't be denied that the Americans gave us so many goods without which we wouldn't have been able to form our reserves and continue the war, we didn’t have explosives, gunpowder. We didn’t have anything to charge our rifle cartridges with. The Americans really saved us with their gunpowder and explosives. And how much sheet steel they gave us! How could we have produced our tanks without American steel? But now they make it seem as if we had an abundance of all that. Without American trucks we wouldn’t have had anything to pull our artillery with.

IMO in general I would say the pop-propaganda narrative has swung away from the old "America won WW2" stereotype towards a new version where "Russia was the ONLY country to fight in WW2! Only Russia suffered!", especially after 2014, when it became necessary to whip up nationalist sentiment and distract from the fact that now you've got Russia playing kingmaker for a lot of the resurgent neo-fascist groups, white supremacists, Trump, etc.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

EvilMerlin posted:

Keep in mind steel rusts fast. Rust + casing + action (especially semi-auto) = trouble. So you have to grease or lacquer the steel. Hot lacquer does not do good things for close tolerance weapons like say the AR family... Its fine for the AK's as they are designed to have a bit of slop in them.

The whole reason the Russians went steel and lacquer was cost. Plain and simple. Copper is expensive, and case brass is 70% copper.

Just want to jump in here to again say it's clearances not tolerances. I have some copies of what appear to be original dimensioned production blueprints for the AK and it's metric tolerances are pretty much at the same levels of precision as the imperial ones for the M16 blueprints I have, and both are more accurate than the Rock Island 1911 blueprints I have, which even throws the machinist a few fractional dimensions/tolerances.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Americans think a 100 year old gun is ancient, europeans think... a 100-gun artillery barrage is large?

Americans think a 100 year old gun is ancient.
Europeans think 100 military vehicles is "a lot."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
WRT castor oil engines this was just posted in the OSHA thread:

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GI9gLFTC-s

It’s spraying out two cubic centimetres of castor oil every second.

Note the strip of oil getting exhausted onto the driveway pavement, also note that this is a rotary engine and not a radial so the entire engine spins with the prop instead of the engine remaining stationary and driving the prop which is mounted on a rotating shaft..

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why wouldn't you just use the coax 7.62

i feel like the gains are kind of marginal

Better performance against cover, .50 BMG is less "a rifle round in a machine gun" and more "fun-size auto-cannon round". Skip to 11:38.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50TXI-NnGzc

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
If you have a chance to visit the Central Air Force Museum in Moscow, you might want to do it now before the aircraft are cut up to make amusement park rides.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/05/historic-aircraft-will-destroyed-move-putins-military-disneyland/

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Morally, I don’t think Patriot Park is good. But drat if I wouldn’t visit if we had one here. Surely it’s something the MAGAs would get behind.

To my great surprise there apparently aren't any Confederacy/White Power theme parks in the US, though Georgia does have the Stone Mountain Confederate-KKK memorial.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

I thought you were talking about the F-16 and went "huh"? So thanks for showing me this.

Congress finding out that the Army spent $250 million on a worse M72 LAW to replace itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4foeo3oY-E

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
This guy managed to spend four months inside while he was working as a contractor on DEW radar sites:

http://www.dewlineadventures.com/stories/

quote:

For some inexplicable reason, probably boredom, I started seeing how long I could sleep each day. I got into a pattern of getting up every morning at 7:30 a.m. and grabbing some breakfast before starting my day shift at 8 a.m. At the end of the shift at 4 p.m., I’d crawl into bed for an hour or two before waking up and having supper. Right after supper, instead of watching a movie or reading a book, I’d go back to bed and sleep until 7:30 the next morning. It was a pattern I was to repeat day after day for a few months.

I nailed a blanket over my window to keep out the 24-hour light. It got to the point where not only was I sleeping up to 15 hours a day, but I needed to sleep that long or I’d be dead on my feet. I’d allowed myself to fall into a bad living (sleeping) pattern.

I finally wised up and realized that this was stupid, so I replaced one stupid thing with another. I started doing anything I could to avoid going outdoors.

As each Main site had Department of Transport weathers observers on staff, the radicians didn’t have to go outside to get the temperatures every hour. Also, because the work area was connected to the accommodation modules by an overhead passageway, you didn’t have to ever go outside unless you wanted to…and I didn’t want to for some obtuse reason.

I think I ended up staying indoors for four months before I put the end to that stupid scientific experiment, as well.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is there a book somewhere that goes into detail across multiple countries that details their naming and numbering scheme? I feel like it was a few hours of googling to figure out the Chinese/PLA system; nothing is on wikipedia.

The Chinese system is generally fairly "Western" from what I recall of it. The acronym in QBZ-95 (their bullpup rifle) literally translates to something like "Small arm, Rifle, Year 1995", the QBB-95 version translates to "Small arm, Squad Automatic Rifle, Year 1995", older stuff like the Type 56 or Type 63 rifles are similarly the QBZ-56, QBZ-63 and so on. Likewise for aircraft it's a similar setup, J is "fighter", "Y" is transport, "CJ" and "JL" are for basic trainers and fighter trainers, etc.

Armored vehicles also get a industrial designation, the Type 03 airborne IFV for example is both the ZBD-03 (Tracked armored vehicle, year 2003) and the WZ506.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNOEYN0h2sk

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Squalid posted:

Also that manual has an extensive section on the use of hypnosis in interrogation with a bunch of references to freud, which I guess would have seemed extremely trendy and hip at the time it was published.

"Hip young CIA agent with liberal arts degree incorporates Jung dissertation into torture manual"

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cessna posted:

I just got an ad for a "Senator John Mccain Half Dollar Coin Colorized Genuine US Tender" coin.

FML

I am a gas station attendant and this is NOT legal tender and I will NOT let you buy "Budlite + Clamato" with it.

Comrade Koba posted:

I've always wondered why no HEMA nerds seem to want to practice the proud European martial tradition of shooting indigenous people with muskets and taking their land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl76rTxIyzI

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Did much change in terms of materials/alloys and machining tolerances? Those seem like candidates where progress might have been made. Plus manufacturing techniques, like the difference between those crazy one-off early modern revolvers Hegel posted and everyone in the US Cav having two by the mid 19th century is being able to crank them out by the bushel rather than having some dude labor over one for a year. I think.

e: I should just get a sig that says "uninformed guesspost above".

Absolutely. Tungsten carbide and high speed steel weren't widely used for cutting tools until after WWI, meaning that lathe/mill cutting speeds were a order of magnitude slower. Machine tools themselves and measuring devices were less accurate, GD&T wasn't invented until after the start of WWII by a guy at the Royal Torpedo Works. (GD&T is somewhat hard to explain but basically it's a way to measure parts that allows for greater accuracy and less waste) Factories were more primitive as Ford and Kahn and so on were just starting to create modern ones. Guns like the Luger and M1911 still had parts getting hand fitted by gunsmiths during assembly, versus the later "a semi-skilled laborer replaces parts and then pulls a lever, preforming step X of Y in the process of making 50,000 identical widgets for a machine gun."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

zoux posted:

And the worst issued service rifle?

INSAS, a Galil style "AK action but not designed like a WWII submachine gun" rifle designed in the 90s to replace the L1A1 (BritFAL) in Indian service, but was so flawed and poorly made it ended up being replaced in combat units by the AK47 in 2017, and the Indians are now looking to replace it with a 7.62x51mm rifle so there's a not-insubstantial chance it might actually get replaced by another FAL.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
As long as it's "good enough" your country's choice of rifle is unlikely to affect the outcome of a war. :can:

This is even more applicable to handguns.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
BAE kramers into the defense acquisition office and just keeps kramering, sliding off airplanes, bouncing against tanks. you get the feeling it's trying to defraud your military, but it's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as it finally nails a contract and fails to deliver you think you hear it exclaim "I never even agreed to make the design capable of being CATOBAR, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way out the door

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I looked up the incident and this was in one of the articles:

at hospital, lost fingat

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Airman forgets Common Access Card, returns to find it mounted on the crossguard of a giant anime sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The YouTube algorithm certainly seems to associate Sabaton with nazi-friendly stuff, because any time I look up one of their songs I get a bunch of "Ben Shapiro DESTROYS SJW athiest at Burger King drive through" style recommendations and have to delete my viewing history.

But from a metal standpoint Sabaton is crap even before you get to their open courting of fascists. It's too upbeat for the content, a bunch of sanitized power metal lyrics about how cool war is and so on, set to a pop metal beat. It just doesn't fit at all.

Compare and contrast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vRFKmSpDP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tGZeo4Or8

And despite doing a concept album about Rommel, I recall seeing a translated interview from some German metal magazine/blog with the lead guy from Hail of Bullets where he said that right-wing metalheads are ruining the scene and that they can "lick my rear end crosswise."