Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

people are doing the thing and I'm stuck at werk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

yeah the main themes here seem overwhelmingly to concern issues with separation. You've got Kris-Asriel, Toriel-Asgore, Undyne-Alphys, King-Son, potentially Sans-Papyrus, and various others like the cat and gator ladies — not to mention kris's soul and body. Hell, having an odd number of characters all having partners in the classroom feels off, and none of these separations really make sense other than they're just this way. That poo poo being painful is gonna probably be our core motif.

Good on the gay knight bros hanging out in front of the lake not having this problem

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

oh no apparently there are minor differences between the save state slots regardless of the state of your save. Only confirmed that the drawer in Kris' room on Asriel's side has a different item in it, but the item is dependent on which save slot you use and not the actual state of your save. It changes if you copy your save to a different slot.

the items aren't really super relevant; slots 1 2 and 3 are "A torn cross country shirt", "A school photo ID with an embarrassing haircut", and "A coupon book for pizza (all expired)"

if I were toby I'd throw that in just to piss people off, but we've got some time before we could call this a red herring or chekhov's gun

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

toby wrote the basis of the hidden boss fight text script in may 2012 with susie art files from jul-aug 2013. There's probably a good bit of stuff completed or being finalized, with some potentially having being worked on alongside undertale's original release.

The kickstarter for undertale was started jun 2013, with its official release Sep 2015.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

man this whole alternate route thing really puts a spin on all the ICE-E poo poo you see everywhere

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

one thing that's funny with all the dialog choices is the scenes with susie's choices never change anything. The different choices don't even have minor effects on the following dialogue.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Flesnolk posted:

I think you're only an outright villain in Side B

I figure it's like undertale in that it's a different entity that drives different playthroughs

i do prefer this side b greatly to genocide; a lovely person here could say they're not corrupting or manipulating an innocent, they're just helping their friend be more assertive

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Roobanguy posted:

i have a feeling Toby really hated people saying that “chara” was controlling frisk in the genocide ending. There’s a reason why in this one you name the vessel, and then it asks you to input your real name while also telling you to accept all responsibilities for what happens afterwards. There’s no one else to put the blame on for choices you the player make.

"Your hands are clean"

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Two Inch Bee posted:

Presuming that the bead represents Berdly, this sort of echoes the end of the Spamton NEO fight, where Spamton "dies" when all his strings are cut. The course of a character's life is predetermined and not under their control, and death is the only way we see characters "break free" from that. Grim stuff! Of course, we're only two chapters in, so we may see that theme evolve further over time.

we're gonna be visiting death pretty closely; the nature of heaven, the church, and angels —lots of stuff to look forward to on that end.

kaleedity fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 21, 2021

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

that immune to mice message is no joke. Noelle can 1 turn 100% them for free afterwards. I do think you have to dodge all the cheese and backtrack after the immunity puzzle to see that, though.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

I interpreted the prophecy as you're saving Ralsei's dark world and bringing it into balance. The "earth" dies, but we're not saving that; we're saving the "world"

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

comedy option is ralsei seeking to cover the world in darkness as the earth is destroyed re: his prophecy but this is literally what all affected or involved want anyway so it remains unironically good. The only tricks are to ensure the darkness is his so that others don't mess it up

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Larryb posted:

So during the Susie and Noelle scene it seems telling her she’s in the Dark World makes Noelle think the whole thing is a dream for the entire rest of the chapter. How does she react if you tell her she’s in Queen’s castle?

giving susie a direction in a susie scene never changes any outcome iirc

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

i don't think gaster's the angel. he doesn't seem angel-y.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

wellp, I was looking for something unrelated and found something new. The weird thing is this doesn't exist in my current end-game saves. I had to load a save before the last queen fight and to defeat her, at least after this recent patch. Now in the "real" world I have a third item, glass. When you INFO it, you get "There is a small shard of something in your pocket \\ It feels like glass, but..." I'm not sure if this is referencing beating all of the bosses, but I already had a save in the end game after beating them and I don't have it there. You can use the glass and you get a few different messages; when you're alone in the library after waking up :

You looked through the glass.
For some strange reason, for just a brief moment. . .
You thought you saw through your hand.

Afterwards, you get a different message if you're with Susie:

You looked through the glass.
For some strange reason, for just a brief moment. . .
You thought you saw Susie glaring at you, coldly. . .
But when you moved the glass away,
You see her looking at you, smiling and making a rude gesture.

I thought it might have been referencing the stuff you bundled up in the library, but no, it's still there after you drop queen off. It's not in any of my prior saves with the same completion! (full recruit, safe Berdly, 2 defeated secret bosses)

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

dyzzy posted:

It's the shadow crystal from beating spamton, I think it was patched in

that would make sense but it's just weird it's not in the save with the same state, saved later.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did you talk to Seam in that save? He takes them if you talk to him.

yep that's what it is. That's a strange interaction. hmmmmm.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Blaziken386 posted:

interestingly, if you examine it in the dark world (it's the shadow crystal), you instead get a description of the computer lab. either way, seems like you can only see through it once...? i wonder of there's an alternative reward for collecting all of them but NOT giving them to seam?

want to work toward uber optional boss collection but also want to read all these weird descriptions of items in the overworld. dammit toby i need more saves

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

ralsei is the prince of darkness; he is trying his best :unsmith:

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

"But Kris drugs are illegal."

"Proceed"

notably this is how you progress into LV. 3 Dank Prince

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

so if you're the skeletal younger brother of a skeleton, does that mean that your former human (were you human before?) was born first, or that you were raised/created first? very important questions that I don't see being asked

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

I'm just waiting for the game to call Noelle's memory condition a whiteout.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Capfalcon posted:

Amazing.

Honestly, I keep getting werid vibes from Ralsei talking over and over about how the Darkners' purpose is to help and support the Lightners. It's really bad if you consider how Darkners are basically personified hobbies and distractions (i.e. board games and internet poo poo posting), but some Darkner is gonna resent it in a future chapter and not be relegated to a mere supporting character by destroying their Well.

it's neat that the darkner-lightner "purpose" is probably tied to the same reason why monsters are buried with specific items

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

One tiny detail that almost certainly means nothing that's loving with me: When Kris goes heartless there's this repeated clacking noise when he moves. The same sound is made once right when Noelle snaps and stands up to queen to tell her off post final battle.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i really liked asgore in undertale and felt like he gets a raw deal at the end no matter what path you're on

it's gonna be weird watching a bunch of old darkner flowerpeople compete for the attention of the most divorced video game character

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

I'm just excited to get some monster-human relations exposition through the conflicts or interactions between anthropomorphized cookie cutters

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

jevil is the best dadjoke pun on "freecell"

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

the answer is inside me