Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

married but discreet posted:

Is Paprika on the list of good non-Ghibli animes? The list is currently Akira and Jin-Roh.

Now you've :can:.

But yes, it's there. Also add Redline to that list.

Castle of Cagliostro technically isn't Ghibli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

What are some just general great scenes on YouTube from whatever movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrtS2_TfbeY

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

What are some just general great scenes on YouTube from whatever movie?

I thought you wanted great general scenes not general great scenes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Almost Blue posted:

Maybe this belongs in the general questions thread, but what are some movies made in color that have had black & white cuts? There's the recent Mad Max and Logan, as well as The Mist, Nickelodeon, and Bong Joon-Ho's Mother, but are there any others?

Joss Whedon's Midsummer's Night Dream because it's totally obvious he filmed in color and just had his editor add a stock black and white filter over it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was Much Ado About Nothing that Whedon did; he had members of his usual posse and Clark Gregg filling out the cast.

I remember that coming out immediately in the wake of Avengers and it was getting lavished with a ton of over-the-top praise. I remember people saying it was better than the Branagh version and Amy Acker was a better Beatrice than Emma Thompson.

I knew I was probably getting the wrong Shakespeare but I was determined to not let a Google search slow down my dunk on Joss Whedon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Does the Democrats taking over the House mean we finally get to see Trump's tax returns?

Accountability is dead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

gently caress the green party. They got the 2% that would have pulled Synema through over McSally.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

...I don't give a poo poo!!!!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's definitely a podcast premise in uncles showing nephews classic R rated movies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

This sort of bullshit has largely ruined revival screenings for me. Everything old is considered lame and campy.

This is why I'm hesitant to see old movies at places that cater to people my age. I love the $5 classics screenings at Studio Movie Grill because they're full of olds.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AZ GOP is trying to suppress mail in votes because Sinema is winning right now by a percent.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Lol it’s literally gonna come down to how many votes get counted before the Supreme Court shuts it down.

The trial is going on right now in Superior Court. The Republicans are being very bitchy right now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1060900309332123654?s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Homer Simpson
Scorpion
Sonic The Hedgehog
Chester Cheetah
Detective John Kimble

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just do League of Extraordinary with all of Samuel L. Jackson's characters.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All the Resident Evil games had female protagonists up until 4, which I think all came out before the movie did. They had male protagonists too, but I always viewed them as secondary to the females. Jill was the face of RE1 and 3. I wasn't online much at the time of the first RE movie coming out, but I can see how people were annoyed not because a woman was the protagonist, but why not Jill, Claire, or Rebecca? Why make an original character when they had plenty of good ones too choose from? The movie came out forever ago and has a ton of sequels so it's a moot point these days.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sinema won AZ. Eat poo poo, Trump.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just saw Batman Mask of the Phantasm in theaters. It still holds up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shoulda saw Batman. Where else are you going get Abe Vigoda and Efram Zimbalist Jr. in the same movie?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok, how's this for an opening to a paper I'm writing for a class?

quote:

The PBS documentary “A Look At Those Sentenced To Death As Juveniles” took a look at the lives of those sentenced to death as juveniles.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aw drat, the documentary is actually called "When Kids Get Life," and that kills my joke.

I had to do a powerpoint presentation last week and I included a slide about OJ Simpson where I introduced him as "Hertz spokesperson OJ Simpson." I hope that got a laugh from the professor. I got a 100% so I guess it didn't hurt.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I Before E posted:

"When Kids Get Life", a 2007 episode of the PBS series Frontline, examines occurrences where minor offenders, or in layman's terms, kids, have received life sentences in prison¹.

---------

¹As the title of the documentary shows, this is often referred to as "getting life".

I like it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So blessed. Reminds me of the hound and the goose from last week.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Most of the Pokemon fans I know usually play with others. This is a pretty lame meltdown about people liking a thing you don’t like

The social aspect is what makes that series so brilliant.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My favorite gen is Gen 5. (Black and White.) It was the peak of the 2D era, with the fastest battles, and a whole brand new 150 Pokemon. You don't see any old Pokemon until you beat the game. Not even Pikachu. It was pretty bold. It has a robust post-game too.

Sadly, it doesn't get much respect these days.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I blame the crappy Exp. Share system, which makes leveling up a balanced team so much more difficult and time-consuming. I think Let’s Go is getting rid of Exp. Share as an item, and it’ll just always be in play, which could be interesting.

Yeah, that thing was never my favorite. I do miss Gen V's Switch battles. Those were tactical as hell. The meta-game of anticipating who your opponent could switch in was exciting.

CelticPredator posted:

Pokémon owns

Hell yeah it does. I'm looking forward to Let's Go. I'm getting the Pikachu version, and I bought my girlfriend the Switch Eevee bundle for Christmas. I can't wait to see the look on her face when I give it to her when we go on vacation next month.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I prefer Digimon.

The newer Digitmon games are Persona-lite and I wanna give them a shot someday but I'll never have enough time to finish my backlog unless I get fired or laid off or something.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Digimon taught me about 666 being the number of the beast.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

People are making jokes and goons are missing the irony and answering sincerely.

So the same thing that happens in every CineD thread.

Sincerity is severely underrated.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RDR2 comes on two loving Blu-ray discs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

That was the one Tarantino cameo'd in, right?

Yeah. He played an old man who talked about watching Akira when he was a kid. It's nuts.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bean is legit one of my top favorite comedies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm going to be the first person to whine for a PS4 app.

Actually gently caress that. Bring it to Switch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone can be a spy. loving scientologists infiltrated the FBI for years and they didn't discover it until a night cleaner figured it out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Would anyone be able to be point me to some academic feminist critiques on incels/MRAs?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Thanks for the recommendation. Though I was looking for reports in text form. I got a final paper I gotta start and finish this week about a biological theory in sex crimes. I'm going the feminist theory. I figure incels could eat a thousand words alone, but I need to cite some academic sources.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm not even sure if the incel phenomenon has been around long enough for any big peer reviewed research studies to get published yet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ezra Miller would be a good Buster Keaton if they ever did a biopic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

last time I checked he wasn't a car battery

Hitman 2 lets you live the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Timby posted:

"Now?" You've been registered here for twelve days; whose re-reg are you?

He's Guy Goodboy.

I only brought up Ezra Miller because some film Twitter posted of a gif of Buster Keaton and he totally reminded me of of Miller.

I'm behind on Ezra Miller news so I don't know what any recent controversy is. I saw a picture of him in some lovely puffy jacket for the Harry Potter movie premire. Is that it?