Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*sigh* time for another rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dog breeding is incredibly bad too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flight Bisque posted:

I finished my rewatch last night, and I'm still unclear as to what the hell the point of the entire theater troupe storyline was, besides to allow Brian Cox to chew the hell out of the scenery. (I concede this is an acceptable reason, but still!)

it was going to play into the show more but the show stopped.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

as someone who was a fan of game of thrones it sucks that we've got three terrible seasons of that (and one more to go) with each probably more expensive than the entire run of deadwood.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HanabaL03 posted:

While I disagree with you that GOT has been terrible, I feel that if Deadwood had been made when there was HBO GO it wouldn't have gotten cancelled.

is there a state worse than terrible?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

withak posted:

Wasn't there an interview with an HBO exec who said something about Deadwood getting cancelled before they realized how much money there could be in DVD sales (and later streaming)? Or was that another series?

it was rome after they truncated what was going to be the entire rest of the series into the second season. i remember at the time being mad they did that to rome but were gonna make some show about a fantasy book series so them saying that stuck in my mind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/J_Rosenfield/status/1094967804485349376

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they really hosed up not making mcshane euron greyjoy on got.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dazerbeams posted:

It only just dawned on me upon rewatch that McCall and Walcott are the same actor. I feel like an idiot.

goon faceblindness strikes again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

boardwalk killed off nucky despite the actual guy dying of old age.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah my greatest fear is being undone like that.

but lol at ending up owing the irs 5 mil when you've made 100 mil in your career.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

goddammit now i just want more.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*pounding table* me want more deadwood.

(i loved it but was bummed from the beginning when i saw how short it was. i was expecting 2+ hours minimum.)

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 1, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kaworu posted:

I had to pause just now after the first five minutes because it's honestly a little emotionally overwhelming to turn this on and see it all again. Goddamn nostalgia - gets me all weepy and overwrought nearly every time, especially with something like this.

i had a huge smile on my face for the first five minutes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Qmass posted:

This was really more of a cast reunion and show send off in the wrap party sense than an addition to the deadwood story. I guess a lot of people enjoy that kind of thing and that's cool. I had somehow gotten the idea that there would be more impetus so I felt a little disappointed TBH.

it was kind of like a theme park ride of deadwood...

it was definitely too short. i was expecting two-three episodes worth of stuff and it was more of an extended episode. but what we did get was great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if the story continued on they'd be pretty hosed still.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That’s one of my favorite things on first viewing: really, none of the hanging plot points got resolved but it feels so much more satisfying!

it's genius because there really is no way to do a traditional ending so we get as happy an ending as you can manage even if really it's in the middle of things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trevor Hale posted:

The prostitute was a way of showing the world goes on even if your part of it doesn’t. Al may be dying and all the characters we knew may have grown up, but some subset of young ladies are still gonna be making their way out west to be whores. But this time, instead of being chewed up by the camp, an older, wiser Trixie asks if that’s really the life she wants.

I kept waiting for the shoe to drop that she’s someone’s daughter/sister. But it was much better this way. Kept it from being an insular circlejerk.

yeah i figured she was someone's secret daughter or a hearst plant.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they put her in old lady glasses and either dyed her hair gray or had her wear a wig (she keeps her hair colored irl).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Laterite posted:

Anna Gunn might as well have had that bed divider between them at all times.

that made sense to me - she's his brother's widow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I watched it with some people who had never seen it before, and they loved it. Might have hyped the movie too much though, as when it was over they didn't feel it was as good a wrap up as I'd made it out to be. I still think it's a great nightcap on the show, Al's death is perfect, but ah well.

The movie was way too short - I still remember getting home from work and being disappointed right off the bat when I saw the runtime on the video player.