Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
If you think last night wasn’t a win for the Democrats, you have unreasonable expectations. Nothing was going to be fixed over night and you never stop working. Take a break but it’s going to take a long time to make change last.

That being said, why aren’t we talking about increasing the size of the House to mitigate gerrymandering and the obvious issues with the Electoral College?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tibalt posted:

It doesn't actually fix the issue with the electoral college, it just changes the states you need to win.

It does reduce the outsized influence of those Vermont bastards though.

I’m talking about say twice the number of seats in the House, massively diluting the effect of electoral votes based on Senate seats.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Old James posted:

My biggest issue with last night is how the it appears the lesson learned by Beto, Gillum, and Abrams' loss is that the Dems need to run more centrist candidates. But centrists lost in Indiana, Missouri, and North Dakota yet no talking head breathed a word of that.

Pelosi and Schumer need to learn that the battle lines have been drawn. There are not enough true independents (most have taken a side, but want to pretend they haven't) or Eisenhower Republicans left to make a difference. What drives victory is motivating your base and a centrist "Republican-Lite" is demotivating. Republicans learned this with Gingrich and later the Tea Party, why can't our leadership understand.

Do folks honestly believed this? I remember hearing even “serious people” like Chuck Todd talking about how even in defeat going progressive was incredibly effective for Democrats. People take notice when a 16 gap is reduced to a one point gap.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

My Twitter Account posted:

They're not going to happen, Pelosi has already indicated she's not interested.

Pelosi doesn’t control committees.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

"Why is everyone upset, you had expectations WAY too high!" is some goddamn bullshit after we saw the positive polling numbers for Gillum/Nelson get demolished.

Florida going full chud was NOT expected and I have a right to be loving angry about it.

It was well within the margin of error, this is basic statistics.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Trump presser in like 20 minutes.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CuddleCryptid posted:

Take a drink every time he says the word "obstruction"

That’s a pretty big word.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Your Taint posted:

We all know what hes gonna say.

Absolutely. It’s just a way for him to get attention again.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

Can you not tell me how I'm allowed to feel?

Like, not only do I live in Florida, all of my family does, I'm allowed to be sad and gently caress off with everyone who's trying to force me to smile about this bullshit.

You’re not allowed to generalize that doom and gloom to everything else at large.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

I'm not? I'm just telling the "Why is everyone not happy?" people a major reason why I am not happy

Also stop trying to police people's emotions, it's really rude and hosed up.

What’s rude and hosed up is you shouting down all the hard work that was done and the successful results of that hard work. You come in here and take a massive poo poo on all of that and it serves no purpose.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

Please quote me where I did anything of the sort, you are reading poo poo into my posts that simply is not there.

You’re right, all you did was get pissed off when folks like me were shouting those folks down.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ninjahedgehog posted:

Trump's talking right now.

Holy hell one of my least favorite vocal tics of his is the complete lack of ability to admit a mistake when talking. "The midtown.... and midterm... elections"

Sniiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffff

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MojoAZ posted:

This is a hyper-local result, but important for people who care about public lands: it appears that two Navajos will take seats on the 3-person San Juan County commission in Utah. San Juan County is home to the former Bears Ears National Monument, and until this election was populated entirely by RABID public lands opponents. The county's districting was found to be racially gerrymandered. Even after a court drew new districts, the county sheriff attempted to invalidate one candidate's spot on the ballot by alleging he lived in AZ. The court overturned that and the Justice department eventually had to send election monitors to make sure that native americans were not intimidated out of voting. So this is a pretty big victory for anti-gerrymandering, native rights and for public lands.

The two Navajos taking commission seats are members of the Bears Ears Inter-Tribal Coalition, which advocated for the monument. One is taking the seat of Phil Lyman, a Bundy nut who led an illegal ATV ride with Ryan Bundy through the monument. Lyman is taking a seat in the Utah house, but it has to sting a little to watch his commission seat flip to someone so diametrically opposed to everything he stands for.

https://twitter.com/sltrib/status/1060075670770999301

Was this featured on a episode of Last Week Tonight? I vaguely remember hearing about this and I’m absolutely thrilled!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RuanGacho posted:

I'm drawing a line here:
Anti science has no place in the future of the new more left Dem party.

Fight me over it binch.

gently caress yes. gently caress the anti-vaxxers, the anti-fluoride, the anti-GMO and so on.

Furthermore, if we're going to make M4A work, we need to start getting more serious about funding basic medical and public health research.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Majorian posted:

Likely nothing, but that's not the worst outcome. If the investigation does turn up something juicy and the House votes to impeach, forcing the Senate Republicans to outright say "We don't think someone guilty of X, Y, and Z should be held accountable" is A Good Thing.

It's also likely going to take down many members of his family and fuel plenty of state investigations as well.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Petr posted:

This guy on meet the press just said that this election entrenched the political situation and didn't change anything, and that moderate Democrats won out over progressive Democrats.

It was David loving Brooks.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FuturePastNow posted:

Gotta grift both sides

Way to read the thread. He’s an occasional guest who’s role is to poo poo on republicans.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

No, nationalize pharma. The scientists aren't to blame here.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Since we're on the topic, why don't current calls for M4A include a component for a nationalized medical research program? There are tons of people who could be employed in this in labs all over the country, and the treatments that come out could then have their costs controlled significantly. It seems like this would be a good way to control current and future medical costs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm a little hesitant to endorse the government directly running the trials because our government has done some really awful poo poo to people of color while conducting "medical research".

Then have a separate agency as a watch dog. The alternative of having large pharma companies pull their current research funding while the US significantly drops their own isn't working.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tibalt posted:

You all realize that people with curable diseases aren't receiving treatments that don't cost a million dollars right now, right?

Like, it's not a good situation but it feels like you could do more good calling for the nationalization of insulin production and free distribution before focusing on the rare gene therapy drug.

I don't think you'd have continued production of this drug even in a socialized healthcare system.

Hey, wehn I talk about a nationalized medical research program, I'm all for more common poo poo like insulin as well.

gently caress it, I'd even have GMO projects to create food crops that are resistant to salt water/drought/etc that haven't come to market for dumb reasons, but that's getting off track the current discussion. The point is, we don't spend nearly enough on scientific research, we should be spending a whole lot more, there are more than enough folks out there at multiple levels that could be hired to do so and it would be a massive boon to our economy, our lives and our nation as a whole.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

It's a constant source of anger for me thinking about how much we spend on the military and what we could better spend that money on. It's one of America's greatest failings imo

Do you realize how many biology major we graduate every year? That there isn't a science/research version of AmeriCorps is is loving travesty.

VitalSigns posted:

E: It's depressing how even in a forum like this people react to injustice by rationalizing some Ayn Rand fanfic about how the free market must know best to withhold a lifesaving cure, because we can't imagine there could possibly be a problem with how capitalism allocates resources

I think it's more that those of us with experience in those or similar industries understand that things are a lot more complicated than most believe. This is a rare exception.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VanSandman posted:

Pay raises for time on the job are mostly bullshit. You should be paid as much as your union can bargain for, with seniority counting for little if anything. Annual or scheduled cost-of-living increases are perfectly acceptable.
Let's be honest for most jobs the difference in performance between someone who's been there a year and someone who's been there five are basically non-existent.

Isn't an annual raise a pay raise for time on the job?

Also, I'm going to disagree with you on the "experience means nothing" claim. The folks I work with sporting 30 year pins know a hell of a lot more than the folks with only five years. I thin seniroity should be used for little more than a tie-breaker when it comes to promotions or transfers, but I don't think it's very pro-labor to deny the knowledge and experience of someone who's worked in their profession for years.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

They're practically begging to be overtaken by the left.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But watch out, they'll sue you if you sign up and you're a leftie! They also won't allow anyone to post a fake or photoshopped picture! These are totally realistic things they can absolutely moderate!

I wonder if it's possible to have a reverse class action lawsuit - were a single plaintiff sues a class of people instead of the other way around.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

enraged_camel posted:

I loving hope so.

Why do people say poo poo like this? Acceleration isn’t the answer.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nonsense posted:

Because Kevin O'Leary needs to eat poo poo, hope this illuminates things.

So everyone else has to join him at the table and eat even more and this is a good thing?

Jaramin posted:

I generally agree. But I think since a recession/depression is all but inevitable, I would rather it happen on the Republican's watch. Since their policies will be responsible for it, so they can't punt the blame on the next hopefully Democratic administration, and so that administration has a larger majority.

That’s fine, we just shouldn’t be cheering it on.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah we should. Now would actually be the perfect time for the economy to tank. It's long enough into Trump's term that the blame can squarely be laid on his shoulders, and he still has enough time left in office where he'll have to live with the consequences of loving everything up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eYcWpgCb7o

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Paradoxish posted:

While this is a totally fair and reasonable point, the economy is cyclical and every single person in this thread is going to suffer many economic downturns throughout their lives. Whether you're seriously affected by each one is more or less going to be a roll of the dice. That's not an excuse to cheer for it to happen or anything, but maybe be angry at the people who aren't interested in providing proper safety nets to smooth over the rough periods instead of wasting energy being pissed at people who can't do anything anyway.

Why can’t the folks who are dancing just shut the gently caress up and quit punching down? There’s already enough anger at those who are gutting safety nets and they don’t post here.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

Firing the Fed chair would be bad and it could spook markets in ways we can’t even comprehend. Other countries invest in us because they’re reasonably sure we’re not going to do something economically stupid. If they feel otherwise they’ll put all their money in Euros and just hope Greece or Italy doesn’t crash.

But we don’t even know if Trump can fire the Fed chairman. If he tries, Republicans might finally get a clue and start curtailing Presidential power. I’m still reasonably sure that if Trump makes it all four years, the weakened Presidency he leaves behind will have less control over trade and war powers.

Which would be a good thing.

I’m almost certain that I heard on the news that officials confirmed that the chair couldn’t be fired by the president.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Holy poo poo, Meet The Press is actually opening and focusing their entire episode on climate change.

So far no “two sides” bullshit, they’re opening with “the science is sound, no time for climate deniers and the science is sound”.

There’s actually a panel of scientists, this is loving crazy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Skippy McPants posted:

This was very good, and also horrifying. You couldn't pay enough to work inside other people's homes on a regular basis.

My late mother used to clean houses when I was a kid and it was insane the poo poo she’d see and hear from day to day. Anything ranging from being directly told, “buy this stock, my husband is getting a drug through the fda and the announcement is next week” to all the random lovely stuff that happens when lovely people get married too early, have too many kids and then get rich.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

He's actually pretty good and it's loving crazy that folks aren't paying attention to more folks from Washington State. Our AG is a total badass.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Politics RUNS on opinions, not on fact, and your power is directly related to how many folks you have on your side and who likes you.

I'm not saying I disagree with you - I think there's too much kowtowing to decorum as well - but I also understand WHY and think you're coming off as really naive. Diplomacy isn't just about doing what you like right here and now because it feels good to curse a dude out.

I don't see any problem with a few "bad cops" so to speak who speak their mind and call out disingenuous bullshit. Republicans are literally getting pissed off that AOC was in a video dancing while in high school, they're always going to be mad at something dumb.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

This is what happens when you blindly update iOS on your phone without reading the reviews first.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

holy poo poo you are the worst.

In another thread he completely refused to acknowledge Facebook's role in the Rohingya genocide. Repeatedly.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Radish posted:

When you look at the GOP she is clearly head and shoulders above the average conservative congress person but for some reason there aren't daily OPEDs talking about how much they need to learn.

The centrist media is not your friend and it's not up for debate.

Tom loving Cotton still exists, why isn't everyone calling him out for being a complete dullard?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

tom cotton runs every day so he can eat a single piece of white sheet cake.

and here's that smiling moron bill maher has on too often:

https://twitter.com/JackKingston/status/1082277309330132992

Stop watching anti-vaxxers like Bill Maher. He was owned by loving BILL FRIST over the issue years ago.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FizFashizzle posted:

Lmao and now manafort has one of those illnesses that’s real easy to fake because I’m sure he hasn’t been tested

https://twitter.com/chrismegerian/status/1082706904218886145?s=21

I’m guilty as sin your honor but please I’ve got fibromyalgia.

Wait, don't you look for the huge lump on the back of their neck and give them a bunch of iodine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Crow Jane posted:

I think you're thinking of a goiter, gout's in the feet

Ugh, my bad.