Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Is there anything to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/1060196196948566017

https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/1060216027852800000

This is interesting. The last thing I need this morning is hope that will soon be smothered.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

a lot of young females

:chloe:

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Withnail posted:

The rush to figure out if a mass shooting can somehow enforce your sociopolitical ideology is pretty loving disgusting.

Yes assuming that yet another Chud went off the loving deep end seems like a real awful assumption :jerkbag:

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 8, 2018

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

I think it's time to start leaving guillotines on the front lawns of Nazis.

We can just put a "Must be 48" tall to ride" sign on them to make it clear that they're not intended for children.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

The margin is basically the turnout in Marion county and Bloomington. They had 15% higher turnout in the NW section next to Chicago because that's where Obama showed up to stump, but Donnelly never did anything around Indy and just assumed it was his. It was, but he needed it excited and he never tried, instead spending the last week making GBS threads all over progressive policies.

I'm from Indy but living in Chicago now. I was being served ads through election day about Donnelly's bipartisanship and how he was willing to work with both sides to 'secure our borders'

I'm sure ignoring Marion County didn't help much, but deciding that the best way to win an election that's essentially a referendum on Trump is to say you'll work to enact his racist policy seems like a pretty big mistake. He didn't just shoot himself in the foot; he cut the whole goddamn foot off.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/BBuchman_CNS/status/1060646927958765568

Read: brown people are are not welcome in our asylum system because they're not white Christians from the Middle East

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Martian posted:

How about hanging chuds?

this is a joke, don't hang people

No, hang the chuds

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Fucker Snarlson

CuckHer Parseltongue

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

The Leper's Colony is just fuckerface.jpg right now and it's loving great

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 8, 2018

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So

https://twitter.com/MarcACaputo/status/1060654559612289024

What are the odds that this is full of Gore votes?

Literally cackling like a madman imaging that thing being stuffed with 8000 Gore ballots

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Saying this guy looks like a thumb would be an insult to thumbs

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Uh... I think you might be misremembering here.

In the early 80's, the response to the question:

was 35% Yes and 57% No.

Make sure to read that again.

That is not gay marriage. That is "should it be illegal to be in a consenting gay relationship?" and nearly 6 in 10 Americans said it should be a crime.

79% of people said pot should be illegal in 1982.

Your numbers seem reasonable, but you can't just give numbers with no source

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Two years in and I still can't believe this deranged orange sack of poo poo is the president.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

Bio: "Undocumented gynecologist"

:chloe:

Trump won't be able to vote for himself if it's the clock test and he has to identify the camel.

You were right the first time. Sure, GWB isn't a weird freak like Trump, but that's not exculpatory. That's an extremely low bar. Trump hasn't started a war yet.

Except the quiet civil war where chuds shoot up newspapers and mail bombs to the mdeia

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh nooooooooooooooooo

worstpersonyouknow.onion

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The Conservative definition of Marxism is "anything that takes money from the wealthy and distributes some to the good of all, whether through public works or direct wealth transfer"

poo poo, am I a Marxist for getting a paycheck? :ohdear:

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Some of the most galaxy brained poo poo I've ever seen:

CNN Jim Acosta’s name is NOT Jim, his real name is ABILIO ACOSTA... Why is Jim Acosta ashamed of his Hispanic name?? JIM .... errrr.... ABILIO ACOSTA IS A RACIST RACIST RACIST

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

Fire back "why is Donald afraid of his original name Drumpf"

No. I like looking at the poop, but touching it usually makes me nauseous and angry.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Guze posted:

This guy might be some kind of weirdo pedo

https://twitter.com/eScarry/status/944701570066903045

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Never criticize a politician because you will only help worse politicians thereby.

Mmmm this boot leather tastes so gooooood

Literally no one is saying not to criticize Democrats, you blubbering, straw-man-creating baby.

Criticize them every drat day of the week and twice a day during primary season, but then go loving vote for them when the other option is a guy who supports the Trump agenda

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 16, 2018

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Broke: Foreign election interference is something we should investigate and look to prevent

Woke: Hilary bad lul

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

GM stock is up 6% though! This is a good thing guys. :downs:

Think of how well the shareholders are doing

https://twitter.com/behindyourback/status/1067095091255410689

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

VH4Ever posted:

She should dunk on them once on Twitter and move on.

She already did this once

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1027729430137827328

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

Normal country.

Republicans got a smaller percentage of the vote than Walter Mondale.

The senate is hosed and only getting more hosed, but the vote breakdown for 2018 is skewed because there were no Republican senators on the ticket in California.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

It's absolutely not skewed. The Senate is by definition a trash institution full of fuckmen.

It has long since passed its usefulness.

I literally said that the senate is hosed and only getting more hosed. Learn how to read.

The vote totals aren't entirely from contests of R vs D. You shouldn't expect the numbers this year to correlate directly to the number of seats won/lost. This is pretty simple.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1068136393237557254

EDIT: He is a horrible Ayn Rand worshiping piece of poo poo.

"Also, I am very smart and you should take me very seriously"

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

What would happen if Tomi Lahren, Kent State gun girl and Laura Loomer were all in a room together, do you think?

Kent State girl would shoot Loomer after an argument about slashed (or rotted) tires while Tomi shrieks helplessly in the corner about this isn't how white ladies should act

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Dad Jokes posted:

Y'all remember when Paul Ryan grew a beard and the right threw a shitfit and accused him of being ISIS?

No, please share though because it sounds hilarious

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

It must be nice to live a life completely devoid of shame.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

I'm not sure I fully understand how the GOP's modern white nationalism and their unwavering support for Israel can be reconciled.

Is it "we hate Jews, but we hate brown people even more, so we'll support ethnically-white Jews as they partake in ethnic cleansing"?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

eke out posted:

if you don't want to make someone think you're a misogynist, you should stop going out of your way to use the gendered 'waitress' as a diminutive

Waitress is bad now?

Man gently caress, I'm not even that old and I feel like wokeness has passed me by.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

eke out posted:

i didn't mean that categorically, though it's not really preferred anymore (in the same way that many other gendered professional nouns are being ungendered), whether it's bad is more how you say it.

like when you use furiously to declare that a woman doesn't have enough experience

I certainly can see how removing gendered words and instead using gender-neutral terms is useful.

I don't really understand how abandoning a gender-specific term for another gender-specific term achieves anything though.

Essentially, renaming firemen and firewomen to firefighters or even firepersons makes sense to me, but using waiter to refer to both male and female waitstaff does not.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Most places go with "server"

:doh:

Duh. That makes sense.

VitalSigns posted:

Now do comedian/comedienne and aviator/aviatrix

E: No, do waiter/waitroon, "it gives us more information what's the problem?!"

You're telling me aviatrix is a word and we're going to get rid of it before I've even had an opportunity to use it?

I should have expected that vital signs wouldn't be able to pass up an opportunity to condescend and feel smug, even as someone is making a good-faith effort to use language more responsibly.

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 6, 2018

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not intending to condescend, I was just somewhat jocularly pointing out that you already have dropped female endings for a bunch of formerly gendered occupational names in your everyday speech, so isn't it a bit weird that one more is somehow an affront to the language? If you don't go out of your way to pick a noun form to specify whether a stand-up comic has a vagina maybe it's not that important to make sure your waiter's sexual organs are specifically implied?

I wasn't saying that dropping one more was an affront to language though. I was saying that abandoning a female-specific gendered term in favor of its male-specific counterpart doesn't make sense to me.

The right response was Crow Jane's. She correctly pointed out that that's not what has happened with the waiter/waitress pair and that now neither is preferred.

The strangeness of it being okay to call women either actor or actress, (but that the same did not apply to men) has bothered me since childhood, and it's specifically that sort of syntactical swap that I'm questioning the utility of.

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 6, 2018

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Why not, you already do it with "comedian" and "usher" and "author" and "poet" and "singer" probably more, you don't go around saying "comedienne" and "usherette" and "authoress" and "poetess" and "singeress" or insist that we come up with some third word because it would be so confusing to call a woman an usher, right?

Like I don't have a problem with the word "server" but it's weird to insist that it makes no sense to just drop feminine forms when we've done that for a bunch of words already and it hasn't seemed to cause any confusion yet. Like no one goes "oh you said your partner is a poet so I just assumed you were dating a man how awkward"

My understanding is that the intent in phasing out gendered terms is to promote social equality and to end the implicit gender-specification of work.

Codifying the male form as the correct term seems unproductive, even antithetical, to the purpose of changing our use of language to begin with.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

If Democrats make Joe Manchin head of climate change policy they might as well announce that there's no point in participating in the 2020 elections because neither party is the slightest bit interested in doing anything about global warming lol.

Yes, the classic 'I don't like what Democrats are doing, so I'm just going to pout and refuse to vote at all'

Come the gently caress on how can you post incessantly about how crappy the Dems are then when Dems are shown to be crappy, throw your hands in the air and go 'welp there's no point in voting!"

Go vote them out! Your vote may not be particularly important, but it accomplishes infinitely more than posting 'dems bad' on the internet.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Because we have roughly five to ten years to reach the best case scenario for climate change at this point, electoralism isn't going to solve the problem fast enough at this point.

I also do vote and volunteer so honestly gently caress you, I'm going to complain because the Democrats are being poo poo.

You just implied that you're not going to vote in 2020 if Democrats do something that you don't like.

gently caress you for implying that not voting is a legitimate option.

You don't get to complain about the government for four years and then turn around and throw away your opportunity to actually voice those opinions.

Compaining is fine. Arguing that voting is pointless is loving stupid and makes you the worst kind of political commentator. It's imbecilic to say 'both sides are the same, so I'm not going to vote'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Democrats loving blow for acting like the 'clean coal' fan from WV is a legitimate option to head a committee on climate change.

But literally the only way to prevent it, within the current system, is to vote out Democrats who don't take climate change seriously.

Unless you're going to skip voting to go do some ecoterrorism, not voting to oust the democrats who don't take climate change seriously serves only to empower the very people you're pissed at.

I just cannot, cannot, cannot wrap my head around going 'this has made me so mad that I'm gonna refuse to vote!'

Phi230 posted:

Voting is something rich people have the privilege of doing and gently caress you for advocating for an undemocratic and elitist form of governance

:lol:

This is some top-shelf dumbassery, even for you, phi