Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I hate to be a bad news bear, but Think Progress pointed out a possible big concern on the horizon. While we made great inroads on gerrymandering, the Reps are trying to work through the courts a case that outlaws an independent commission drawing districts. This means the indy commissions in AZ, MI, PA (I think?) are dead in the water as well as any other one in the country. The Reps have at least 2 years to gently caress this up and Kennedy was the only reason we avoided it so far.

Make me feel better, pls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this feels nutso but if you could link the article that'd be cool

I'll have to dig it up. To be fair, it was something they mentioned in passing, not the main focus of the article.

Kobayashi posted:

The government only has the power we permit it to have. A sufficiently organized movement could enact any change you can imagine, at any time.

Changing a SC ruling is pretty hard, though..

Stickman posted:

Since SCOTUS let PA's court-drawn map stand, I'm pretty skeptical that they shoot down independent commissions. What grounds are they even claiming?

Yeah, but they'll be trying it again. The rationale is that the constitution clearly states that only state legislatures can draw maps, so independent commissions violate this principle.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Do we have a final count of how many Dems will be in the House?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

farraday posted:

No, because counting/recounting isn't done, but probably just north of 230.

Sanguinia posted:

Based on NYT's current stats for unfinished races, D's are looking at +34 or +35. The blue favored races are all at ~+1% or more except for one that's at +0.6.

However, out of the R-favored races there are FOUR running at +0.6 or less. Which means that +39 is not impossible. However, at this late state I feel like even super close races like these are unlikely to be wrong. The NJ-3 race just called as an upset against an earlier R victory declaration was listed at D +0.9 by the Times.

Cool, thanks.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

FWIW Nate Silver is projecting Sinema to pull it out in AZ.

The same Nate Silver who predicted the odds of a Democratic House at 51% and surrendered West Point to the hated British? :thunk:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think they are seeing if they can get a recount.

Isn't that just for the Gov race?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

This might be old news to y'all but I just found out we flipped the state houses in NH, which were pretty comfortably red.

But interestingly enough, their federal delegation is 100% blue already :O

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh poo poo, just discovered something not good.

We may have kicked out Walker but the Reps have comfortable supermajorities in the state houses (some of these numbers are absolutely hideous). Is this going to lock out the Dem governor from any say in redistricting?

edit: wait, this means the governor won't be able to do anything PERIOD

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 8, 2018

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

The executive branch retains power and responsibility in ways that go beyond signing/vetoing legislation, and the legislature has delegated substantial powers (including what appears to be some insane veto ability) to the Governor. They can, and almost inevitably will, scramble during the lame duck to strip that away like North Carolina did, but :matters: about this isn't accurate.

According to the Milwaukee paper, the GOP lacks a veto-proof majority. And speaking of vetos:

Interesting. Apparently, they need 2/3 (not just 60%) to override a veto, which they're literally one vote in one house short of.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

It's happening:

https://twitter.com/GeoffMiami/status/1060614754614591488

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

waitwaitwait

if dems aren't bad.. then what is the world we live in

I agree. This is the hell that a Trump presidency hath wrought.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wow, according to the Twitters, we have won 37 seats so far. :O

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh god, this would be a helluva week. If this happens, I "may" even forgive Ohio for being lovely all around.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Wait what? How do you figure anything that far out?

Was just about to ask this. And apparently it's a common belief that we will never get the senate again for some weird reason...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

mcmagic posted:

LOL Sinema is gonna win.

mods please ban this guy if she doesn't

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You know, in a way, winning AZ and FL would be kind of lovely in a sense because that means we got even closer to taking over the senate but didn't.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Does anyone know what the numbers are for the FL legislature? The NYT is the only place that seems to have those numbers in handy but I already lost my monthly free article limit (which is stupid cause these pages technically shouldn't count as "articles". loving scum :argh: )

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean... objectively speaking... allowing rural and urban regions to correctly have their ballots counted is the right thing to do, right?

I'm totally cool with fighting dirty at this point. gently caress these people.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Z. Autobahn posted:

Just so I'm understanding right, the position now is pro-voter-disenfranchisement so long as it's THEIR voters?

...yes? :confused:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Democrats got everything they wanted from that ruling and y'all are melting down because they didn't try "don't count their votes just ours, your honor" on a judge jfc

E: how am I the one defending something the Democrats did itt

If this is the case, then cool.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Guys, I think Acosta assaulted the intern. Video proof:

https://twitter.com/jtstorm62/status/1060966400737599489

This is great. Is it from Kimmel?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

When my man, and personal pick for Republican nominee of 2012, Herman "THE MOTHERLUVIN' CAIN TRAIN" Cain says poo poo's in trouble, you better believe it!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Are we all forgetting that both Donnelly and McKaskill got lightning-strikes-twice-in-the-same-place level lucky in that they both ran against pro-rape candidates when it was still considered a bad thing in the GOP?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay, this thread suddenly got a lot quieter. What's happening with AZ?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1061287125180669955

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1061362694194900992

hey bret stephens should we still take your advice lmao

Good, because I've always liked places like Irvine (going to UCI was my first choice back in HS), and it's nice to see Republicans no longer polluting it (at least within congress).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fallom posted:

"love to bathe in fire retardant chemicals while standing inside my on fire neighborhood" -some loving twitter moron

Yeah seriously. I mean, sure cool video and all but that's pretty stupid regardless.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Sinema’s up over 28k!

Jebus. I don't want to celebrate too early...but with a lead like that, McSally's pretty much done for, right?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Education4Libs/status/1061287157573320705

24k likes

just throwing that out there

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Here's a question: why are we arguing whether Hillary or Bernie should have won?

Here's a hot take: it's actually GOOD that they both lost. If either would have won, we would have gotten absolutely nothing done, no SC appointment, AND had been on the receiving end of this recent midterm bloodbath, losing the power of redistricting for another decade.

Trump is the best thing to happen to the Democratic party in years.

Your Taint posted:

As far as I'm concerned, the worst D is better than the best R.

This has been my guiding philosophy since 2010.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Squall posted:

Instead, we've gotten a whole lot of bad poo poo done and 2 SC appointments to conservative hacks? I mean, I agree that Democrats probably get slaughtered in 2018 had Clinton won in 2016, but I still don't think I'd slide it as far as "Trump winning was Good."

You think McConnell (or any Republican) would have allowed Bernie/Hillary to appoint a single SC judge? Especially after Ted Cruz said he'd be fine holding the seat(s) empty for another four years if a Democrat won?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Families being ripped apart and child concentration camps sure are a small price to pay for maybe the ability to claw back government tooth and nail from fascists if it's not already too late.

This, I will admit is a bit more difficult to defend. :smith:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Well that's at least one extra state where voting shenanigans will hopefully be kept to a minimum.

Is it too late to switch the vote for McSally?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

goethe.cx posted:

newly elected senator from a red-leaning state says some lowest-common-denominator bullshit about bipartisanship and john mccain, this makes her worse than manchin and therefore worse than hitler

I would like to state for the record my comments were made in jest.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1062182410421301248

As a history major who was able to shoot my way up to the top of the list for potential baristas at my local Starbucks, this cuts close to home. gently caress Scott Walker. Again.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

eke out posted:

Another one that was called for the Republican in Orange County flipping - also from what I know about Katie Porter she's an actually-very-good progressive.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1062510492588171264

Wait, I thought we already got all the OC seats?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Is it just me, or is Fox getting lazier with the fearmongering. I mean, at least with Obamacare they had the courtesy of invoking death panels....

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Kavros posted:

California's close races just keep hammering the Republicans and stacking a grisly legislative toll on top of the GOP above where it already was

Someone can correct me, but I think with the recent flip, we just passed the 40 seat mark.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hey so just to confirm, we should be getting the final results for FL by tomorrow, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

FL had its recount deadline extended to the 20th

Argh.