Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

mcmagic posted:

Democrats trying to win the presidency without Florida is going to not be easy for the foreseeable future.

Now that felons can vote there, the outcome may be quite different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

MAGA is losing their goddamn minds over this

https://mobile.twitter.com/KhaledBeydoun/status/1060027114618085377

Why? She wraps herself in the flag of Palestine during her celebration...as she is from Palestine. The horror

I guess killing unarmed protestors in Gaza had consequences. Who knew?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole political environment is designed to radicalise already alienated, traumatised and isolated white men into violence. There's no either/or here.

What? Compared to black men we have it easy.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

The fact they did this is just so loving stupid. Jesus Christ. Why? What possible outcome was going to come of this that benefited them against the millions of other captures of this? How loving dumb does the president and his gang of morons have to be?

Given the volume of outsight glee and cheering of the Acosta Press Pass Purge on the social networks, I'd say their dumb strategy worked.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

just an fyi every time i see a cat picture itt, i will pet a cat against the grain ie backwards ie a reverse petting

My wife had next to no experience with cats, fortunately, the large neighbor's cat that hung out with us for years didn't care how she petted or held him.

Sadly the coyotes got to him a few months ago.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Adar posted:

Bloomberg's PAC focused on second tier races that weren't seeing any money and microtargeted super well. Even in a wave year you don't normally get results like this without competency:

https://twitter.com/hellofasandwich/status/1056398039504416768

CA49 is my district (Issa's former). Mike Levin is a good guy who actually understands climate issues.

Thank you Mr. Bloomberg.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Majorian posted:

I, too, believe that Broward County is the part of Florida that's a banana republic.

Will we learn from 2000 and have a bunch of counter-protesters show up?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

pacerhimself posted:

Who is paying these thugs to interfere with the recount?

Memories!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm an early X'er who grew up under that gently caress Ronald Reagan and I can't explain how people who were teenagers at that time could grow up to be conservative assholes. I remember Watergate and Vietnam, and the Cold War and goddamn there wasn't a single bright spot to the "conservative" movement from that time all the way up to right now.

Back in high school I had a pin on my jacket with an unflattering caricature of Reagan and the words "SENILE DRIBBLING FOOL" and only one classmate had a negative reaction to it and I told him he could pound sand.

Reagan benefitted from the end of an inflationary cycle (Ford, Carter), he also probably screwed up Carter's situation with the Iran Hostage situation via some back-channel nonsense. Note the date when the Hostages were released, January 20, 1981, same date as Reagan's inauguration.

Also, as a former marketing person, "Morning In America" is the 2nd best political ad ever created IMHO.

Oh, and Reagan pretty much started the end of the middle class in the USA.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm curious which ad you think was the best one

This is, IMHO, the greatest political ad of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Daisy is hands down the most effective political ad of all time but I think the recent “we’re all [candidate]’s siblings and we’re here to tell you he’s trash” ad was probably the funniest. Did that guy lose, by the way?

Daisy was only (paid) to run once. It is one of my first memories of a presidential race (I was 7 years old at the time).

It not only was effective, but it also changed politics forever.

I know it was corny, but I did love Bernie Sanders "America" ad so so much.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

drat you old as hell. :stare:

I usually find political ads to be dreadfully corny, personally. I’m just not the target audience I guess.

My wife is 3 years older than I. She sent JFK a large comb as a present when she was a little girl and remembers when he was shot. She also remembers when the air in the San Fernando Valley was clean, and was there when it was so awful they wouldn't let her students outside to play when she taught in the '70's.

Back to the subject (sort of). Watched "The Post" last night (fine film). Funny how decades later we're waiting for a SCOTUS ruling on the freedom of the Press, again.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

mistaya posted:

I had not seen that Daisy ad before. Hahahaha, God drat.

A time when Democrats could hit hard.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Yes, that was a drat fine ad. Obama knew how to campaign. And how to debate.

“Go ahead”

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Sensible Republican Cloth Coat

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Yeah, believable.

He's a total CHUD, no question about it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Actually, I can kind of see it. A drunken heckler thinks he's a comedian and just yells it out, completely misreading the room....I wouldn't be surprised if he is a CHUD, but its at least slightly plausible that this is just a dumbass blitzed on cheap wine from before the show.

In vino veritas

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Your Taint posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1063862350489559041

I look forward to absolutely nothing happening.

It's a MYSTERY why Trump doesn't do squat about the Saudis.

Oh wait.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

Middle aged to elderly liberals (usually they strongly self-identify as capital-D Democrats) hating on AOC and saying stuff like "she needs to wait her turn" and "she needs to respect her elder party members who have put in the work" is gold and will also be the death of the party if it's not stamped out. There are lots of these people on Twitter responding to AOC. Thank gently caress Pelosi seems savvy enough to recognize this and is actively working towards getting young progressives prominent committee positions according to some article I saw recently.

Elder party members have "put in the work" of propping up the fat bloated corpse of a fascist-allowing neoliberal pond scum party and they deserve only scorn. No war but generation war :v:

61 here. Related to a famous NYC Conservative Democrat Mayor.

I freaking love AOC and donated to her campaign. In addition to MFA her stance on Climate issues is the sanest one I've seen.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

And of course Ivanka Trump was using her personal email account for government business.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1064663635404951552

Lock Her Up

<sorry, couldn't resist>

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

Cops are Trumplovers, like the ones who went in to arrest Stormy Daniels under a false pretext.

https://twitter.com/TraderOfFutures/status/1064561295968616451
https://twitter.com/TraderOfFutures/status/1064610505837473792

I know this guy.

He's big in the Crypto-Currency crap.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Hell, :same:

It wouldn't be so bad if their data wasn't so obviously skewed by landlines, and the fact that are used as propaganda by the GOP and seem fine with it.

I wonder if Rasmussen is related to the guy (with the same name) who did a study in the 1970's on nuclear power plants that basically said a 3-mile Island was statistically impossible ... a few months before 3-mile Island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASH-1400

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Rasmussen#Early_life

Apparently not.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

WASHINGTON — President Trump declared his unswerving loyalty to Saudi Arabia’s crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, on Tuesday, declaring that the prince’s culpability in the killing of the journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, might never be known.

“It could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event — maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!” Mr. Trump said in a remarkable, eight-paragraph, exclamation-point laden statement that appeared calculated to end debate over the American response to Mr. Khashoggi’s killing.

“We may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Mr. Jamal Khashoggi,” Mr. Trump said in the statement, which read like a verbatim transcript of the president’s off-the-cuff musings. “In any case, our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/20/...pe=sectionfront

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Thank you for making my day a little brighter.

Seriously, the good news story of the day.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The level of historical revisionism present in this utterly delusional take is frankly mind-boggling.

Why? The Holocaust is required curriculum in all German schools and even selling a video game with Nazi symbols are banned.

Meanwhile, in half the USA the Confederency is treated as some kind of noble cause when the Civil War is taught in schools.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

You do know those laws were forced upon the German people, right? They were occupied for decades by the Russians and the Americans, and the two held a gun to every Germans head and said "If any of you raises your hand above your shoulderone more time, we blow your loving brains out."

Sherman had it right about the south.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Facebook just did a 5pm the night before thanksgiving news drop and whoah boy.

https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/11/elliot-schrage-on-definers/

So it's confirmed. Facebook's spread the Soros conspiracy crap that inspired the Pittsburg tragedy.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ironically enough German neo-nazis now use the Confederate flag for their symbol (since the Nazi flag is banned)

Symmetry Achieved!

Seriously, sugarcoating the Confederacy in school curriculum is one reason why we are still fighting the Civil War.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thaddeus Stevens*

Yes. Oh yes.

"...the adoption of the measures I advocated at the outset of the war, the arming of the negroes, the slaves of the rebels, is the only way left on earth in which these rebels can be exterminated. They will find that they must treat those States now outside of the Union as conquered provinces and settle them with new men, and drive the present rebels as exiles from this country....They have such determination, energy, and endurance, that nothing but actual extermination or exile or starvation will ever induce them to surrender to this Government."

—Thaddeus Stevens, U.S. House of Representatives, January 8, 1863

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

why did Hillary win the minority vote during the 2016 primaries?

why didn't this matter?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Star Man posted:

I take it as a mark of pride that I live in a town in Wyoming that other people from Wyoming hate because, "there are too many Indians." Yellowstone and the Tetons are nice. Winter's pretty tame. It's not soul-crushingly expensive so long as you don't live in Jackson, though Cheyenne is turning into a bedroom community for Fort Collins, CO.

Wyoming's problem is that it's run by Republicans and the pendulum of the boom-bust economy means no one tries to do anything else around here but extract as oil and coal as they can until it goes tits up and the people stuck holding the bag with their new house or aircraft-carrier sized trucks can't pay for it anymore and cut their losses and repeat it all by moving to North Dakota. Wyoming would probably resemble Vermont if its politics weren't so right-wing.

Devil's Tower is pretty cool too.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

God the Epstein story is bonkers. It alleges that the Feds may have given a serial rapist a slap on the wrist to protect some of Epstein’s powerful friends, and also so that he would testify in the prosecution of some Wall Street people in the aftermath of the 2008 crash. In addition, the ‘punishment’ he received was 18 months in county jail where he could go for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week to a cushy office as ‘work release’. This doesn’t even get into the fact that the victims were never notified of the plea deal and only learned after the fact.

Google "DuPont Heir Baby Rapist."

The Rich You See, Are Quite Different Than You and Me.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

plogo posted:

Pure speculation and coming from a China bear in the first place, but Jim Chanos (famed short seller) is speculating China could retaliate by messing with Sheldon Adelson's Macau business.

https://twitter.com/WallStCynic/status/1070467598704394241

That would be AWESOME. Not only does Sheldon help white-nationalists get elected, he's blocked anything that would impact his casino business (like online poker).

I'd love to see that happen.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Wow, what the hell did cows do to you? If we're going to get rid of cows to reduce emissions we should euthanize them humanely. :mad:

well ...

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Dejawesp posted:

Maybe he wants pets but he's afraid that Pence will gently caress them.

Plausible. I'll cede this point.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Aramis posted:

There is one animal we know Trump loves: beef. So the only logical conclusion would be:

Donald only pawn in game of life.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

A refreshing beam of light from the r/relationships thread

Link?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

It's complicated, as always. The whole institution's been subject to the same aggressive, corrosive efforts of the Kochs as everywhere else. My understanding is that there's also a fair amount of just incompetence and infighting at senior levels, akin to the stereotype of government bureaucracy. All that said, there's also a lot of good people working there. I've not got any modern contacts there so I don't know how it's shifted over the last decade or so.

edit: Radish beat me to it.

The quote name was a functional link, to
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792330&pagenumber=3848&perpage=40#post490803003

Thanks. Search had failed me. Good stuff.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

As somebody who has driven that stretch of freeway plenty of times, I’m utterly unsurprised by that level of crap driving.

Also that’s just before a really badly designed interchange (the 405 and 101 in the south valley for those wondering).

I had Biked+Train from Studio City to Venice last Wednesday for an evening meeting. Wife asked me to Uber back. Massive accident right past there. Luckily we we’re only tapped. Half a second sooner we would have been hit by the car that flew across the road and bounced off the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

Congress controls the federal wallet. I have no idea what this headline is even implying.

Bake Sale?