Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For anyone who still think demographics are destiny for the democrats, I would like them to meet the new rep for CA-39 (Orange County), the first korean american woman in congresss who is 100% trumpist.

She won in a district that's only 34% white, so much for that destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

What? Korean Americans have always leaned conservative, especially wealthy Korean Americans.

the AAPI voter project seems to indicate otherwise.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

I don't know all her policy positions. I do know that representation matters. I trust a disabled candidate not to gently caress over disabled people (as the Republicans keep trying to do with health care, and recently did with the ADA). I trust a female candidate to understand which issues matter to women. I trust someone who gave birth while serving in the Senate to have reasonable opinions on family leave policies.

She also hid her phone in her prosthetic to sneak it into Chris Murphy's gun control sit-in so they could livestream from the floor, which is hilarious.

Duckworth is a warmonger and was one of the senators who tried to interfere with the Koreas' peace process earlier this year.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This was literally her fighting Trump, something espoused by people here all the time as something that needs to be done. Framing this as her interfering in the peace process is crazy

quote:

When Senator Tammy Duckworth returned from a recent trip to South Korea and Japan, she brought back a sobering message: “Americans simply are not in touch with just how close we are to war on the Korean peninsula.” In a speech at Georgetown University, she laid out the U.S. military maneuvers over the past several months—including a nuclear-powered submarine heading to South Korea, the movement of three aircraft carriers to the Western Pacific, and the Army testing out “mobilization centers” for deploying troops and training soldiers to fight in tunnels like those beneath North Korea—that inform this worry. In an interview with me, she said the U.S. military seems to be operating with the attitude that a conflict “‘will probably happen, and we better be ready to go.’”

Illinois Democrat, who accepted almost 100k from the defense industry in 2016, claims that war with North Korea is impossible.

Trump might be an rear end in a top hat but him purging the liberal interventionists from the state department and blustering about removing troops from Korea is a broken clock moment.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Kingfish posted:

70% of Americans support M4A.

Including 62% of Republicans, but it's never going to happen because very Serious Political Observers confuse donor priorities with that of the people at large.

Radish posted:

If you aren't interested in fixing our disgusting and predatory medical system (and access to care is not doing anything), you have no business leading the party. It's really that simple since if the President can't use their position to advocat for it, it will not happen by itself. Saying "it's not the right time" or whatever is the cowardly way of saying you have no intention of ever supporting it until all the work is done by someone else like how the Democrats we're dragged to supporting gay marriage by the log cabin Republicans and courts.

Before MLK Jr, Malcolm X, et. al started seriously embarrassing the country internationally about de jure segregation well meaning liberals all supported "civil rights," but lamentably the country was not ready for it yet.

Hell, liberals eating from from the identity politics dumpster should take note that as recently as 10 years ago many well meaning centrists were saying this country wasn't ready for a black president and Obama was going to lose due to the Bradley effect.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 7, 2018

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Z. Autobahn posted:

A huge swath of Americans are awful racist misogynists who reliably vote for those things, and unfortunately, our garbage constitution disproportionately empowers them. Just because we don't want that to be the case doesn't magically make it so.

Yes, and most of them live in the suburbs and are the exact kind of "panera voter" that the democrat party has been trying to capture since 2016.

The liberal hatred of rurals is hilarious and some pretty epic projection- the most segregated school systems are in big cities full of white liberals.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean, those panera voters by and large just gave the Dems the House?

Right, so a racist is only good as long as they vote for the democrats?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

2) a racist Democratic rep-or-whatever is better than a racist Republican rep-or-whatever

This kind of thinking is the reason why Chicago and virtually every major city full of decorum obsessed white liberals is outrageously segregated.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
edit: wrong Cop

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Random Stranger posted:

And as someone who is getting out of a deep red area in the relatively near future, why would I stay someplace that is engaged in self-destructive behavior, minimal jobs for skilled workers, low pay, no culture (actual conversation I have had: "There isn't a decent restaurant within five hundred miles of here." "What are you talking about? The Chinese buffet is only a ten mile drive."), and effectively no chance of it changing any time soon? Gee, I can make myself miserable for decades on the off chance that a shift occurs, or I can shift myself to someplace decent now.

These are the results of choices perpetrated unchecked capitalism and a government that exists only to shovel tax money to corporations. In virtually every western european country there is a vibrant (if shrinking in population) countryside. Rural portugal isn't swarming with flea ridden children and methheads like northeast Missouri.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kimsemus posted:

I've articulated a TON of problems with the ACA, and unless something is done soon it will be rendered functionally dead in less than 5 years.

In most markets premiums and competitors have stabilized, what’s not cool is that the statutory out of pocket max went up from 6350 in the first year of exchange plans to 8400 this year. It’s only been 4 years!

The democrats love high deductible insurance, Rahm Emanuel’s brother, Jonathan Gruber, and other neoliberal ghouls all promoted it as a way to bend the cost curve by denying poor people care via market mechanisms.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Avenatti4Pres posted:

But you do realize that high deductible health care plans were not a intrinsic part of the design of the ACA right? They were created by health insurance companies to get around profit limitations implemented by the ACA.

The Democrats didn't go and sit down and say "We need to create health care plans with high deductibles so people can't use their insurance blargh blargh blargh"

Bullshit, the people who wrote up the ACA explicitly promoted high deductible health plans. Jonathan Gruber's major body of work at MIT was the promotion of high deductible health plans (neoliberals use the moniker "consumer driven health plan"). The point is that the democrats want healthcare rationed strictly by income, instead of the current system where people's employers pay the bulk of their bills for them. There is nothing more upsetting to an Ivy League liberal (whose university health plans often have no cost sharing) than some union schmuck making 14/hr but has no deductible thanks to their union "Cadillac" plan.

Avenatti4Pres posted:

There are other countries that have ACA like models that work. While I think Medicare expansion is something that should be 100% added to the ACA, the model it is based on is not inherently the worst in the world.

The individual mandate in switzerland forces people to buy highly regulated, nonprofit plans with a "dial-a-deductible" feature where the subscriber can pick how much they want to pay out of pocket before the plan kicks in.

HDHPs offered on ACA exchanges are just social darwinism for anyone above the medicaid/CSR subsidy threshold. American political and economic elites think the middle classes are using too much healthcare and the ACA is their approach in limiting it.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 15, 2018

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GoluboiOgon posted:

frankly, given how much more america spends per capita than any other developed country, any sustainable insurance plan will have to shrink costs, not raise them.

healthcare is the #1 sector of GDP, #1 employer of people, and #1 source of lobbying dollars at local, state, and federal levels. Requiring providers to form confederations where they bargain a single, transparent price for services and products on a regional level would go a long way to fixing the healthcare cost problem, but that would mean everyone involved, doctors, hospitals, nurses etc. taking a haircut.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/GilCisnerosCA/status/1062881919157694464

Looks like the GOP has been swept entirely out of orange county.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Soviet style elections where people voted against candidates they didn't like would probably ensure the landslide victory of democrats into infinity.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bugsy posted:

eric trump, tucker, lou dobbs, rand paul, grassley and gaetz also retweeted this conspiracy bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbsTmcKzBbM

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Dan Lipinski represents IL-3, a D+6 district, there was no chance of it going GOP even without incumbency advantage.

It's all the more egregious because Lipinski is anti-abortion and the prototypical evil "blue dog" democrat

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Skex posted:

Then do the actual activism. Write letters, protest, sit in, call etc etc, hell run for office. Be the change you want. And while I can get the need to blow off steam on the internet, most of the Dems are bad stuff goes well past that and on into nihilism and acceleration-ism.

I don't see how getting rid of Pelosi is nihilism and accelerationism.

And if you're a communist or communist-adjacent the democrats are legitimately a bad political organization.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

I'n what world is $85k the lowest parts of the middle class?

A well of bubble of HENRYs and other loathsome people who make a lot of money,

if you make 80k or more per year, you are making more money than 80% of Americans. That's not the lower end of the middle class. That's the lower end of the upper class.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

eyebeem posted:

I’m in my late 30s and I’m terrified of ever having to go tit for tat with a legit millennial.

AOC benefits greatly from being a real person gifted with incredible amounts of rhetorical agility, unlike most gormless white liberals who are born into wealth and can only fail upwards.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also, it's important to realize that her position is really strong which gives her a natural advantage against all the horrible failpeople who keep trying to argue with her.

"I think people should have health care and an education and a right to happy lives" is, like, really easy to defend because whenever people attack her she can just go "look, you're a horrible murderer who wants people to die, and I'm not."

Benefits of being an actual leftist

This is an excellent point, I have yet to see a single focus tested tweet out of her about being "fair to main street and wall street" or "access to affordable __________________"

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

friendbot2000 posted:

I am so confused by this statement. The Red Scare was a completely different tone and environment and was used as a tool to silence leftists. This is an investigation into an actual hostile action towards the United States by Russia. There is no Red Scare 2.0

Literally a week after the election the washington post started putting independent left media like the black agenda report on the russian sponsored list

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

my bony fealty posted:

The blue wave happened in large part because progressive Dems campaigned on issues like "fix healthcare and climate change and education and stuff" with a bit of "Trump c'mon seriously" and wisely left Russia rhetoric to "let Mueller do his job" so any of these people arguing that policy should come second to Russia investigation can fuuuccckkk ooooffff. It's not like they're mutually exclusive either, we're going to have House investigations out the wazoo paired with hopefully progressive policy bills.

I personally attribute all the gains made by democrats in suburban districts to trump blowing up the SALT deduction. HENRYs and other assorted rich people absolutely hated that and it definitely sealed the deal for the GOP in IL-14 and other wealthy areas outside major cities.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

since we were just discussing Assange Bad, i find this article amusingly topical:

https://www.blackagendareport.com/us-intel-will-bring-assange-us-chains

i was going to just post excerpts but honestly i enjoy the whole darn thing in light of recent discussion

i make no comment and have no strong opinion on BAR as a whole

I remember when D&D liberals liked Assange for collateral murder and all the wikileaks exposes of the Bush administration.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I certainly had a weird feeling of double think canvassing in the subdivisions of IL-14 and talking about how the Democrat is going to fight to lower their taxes.

The good news is that when the deduction is restored by the democrats in a grand, bipartisan manner IL-14 will comfortably go back to voting for diet CHUDs and other rogues.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

Can confirm; "bootstrap" uneducated Midwestern white people are the actual loving worst, especially when you have a whole side of the family of them

How are they any worse than educated midwestern white people who are smarter about hiding their bigotry?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

US foreign policy has always been this ghoulish, only in the past mealy mouthed liberals were able to concern troll regimes they didn't like with buzzwords like "human rights" and "freedom."

Trump and his goons haven't changed anything, they just ripped the mask off for the whole world to see.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I have zero faith in any of my 401k money being there by the time I retire.

You can bet that when the US faces a fiscal crisis sometime in the next half century that illiquid accounts like 401ks will be the first ones that governments raid in order to balance the books.

Consider Cyprus and its austerity measures during the financial crisis:

quote:

NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) — Depositors at bailed-out Cyprus' largest bank will lose 47.5% of their savings exceeding 100,000 euros ($132,000), the government said Monday.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I call complete bullshit. Bush isn't being whitewashed by the masses. He's being embraced by his elite of elite peers. You see the Obamas embracing him? You see President Sanders or Booker or Gillinbrand or Avenatti or whoever you are putting your hopes into in 2020 doing it? You see President Ocasio Cortez or Gillium or whoever doing it if God forbid the monster gets a second term? Really? Ok, "President Avenatti" definitely would.

Liberals have already rehabilitated Bush:

quote:

The CNN poll conducted by SSRS found 61 percent of Americans polled view Bush favorably and just 33 percent view him unfavorably.

The same poll found Bush with a 35-percent approval rating when he left the White House nine years ago.

Most of his boost comes from Democrats and independents. A majority of Democrats — 54 percent — now view Bush favorably, while 11 percent did in early 2009, the poll found.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

But like, that's a quote from July 2016, BEFORE Trump beat Hillary and before the 2018 Blue Wave of progressive candidates and red district upsets without such a compromise on the platform. So why should I put more stock in that quote than I do in what has happened for the 2 and a half years since then? Its possible they'll still try and do it, but the tide is going the other way.

The most prominent red to blue house flips were districts where the democrats ran war criminals or CIA officials.

As soon as they got elected they went and tried to mount a coup against nancy pelosi with that letter of 16.

The guy in Utah who beat Mia Love is absolutely a right winger. These candidates in any other cycle would've run as republicans but went with team D because it offered them a better shot at being elected.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Prester Jane posted:

That's why Pelosi is useless in her current position- she doesn't know how to resist or fight back against Fascism and all she'll wind up doing is enabling it. As she's demonstrated repeatedly over the past couple years.

I regret to inform you that fascism was baked into this country's DNA from day 1.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

I wonder if he apologized for backing Rahm as mayor.

He should apologize too for appropriating public park land for his starfleet academy presidential library and using it as a nucleus for further gentrification of the south side

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wilhelm posted:

I am noticing a lot of outlets continue to use immigration as a catch-all phrase for both legal immigration and refugees/economic migrants - the latter of which seem to drive the public angry (and lovely management inevitably leads to crime and ghettos forming)

It's an intentional right wing framing. The same with people like Angela Nagle claiming America has "open borders" - i.e. letting nonwhites live here.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am not trying to be a dick here but can you tell me one country in the world that has an open borders policy?

All of them had open borders until WWI

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wilhelm posted:

this is also a bad take

like yes sometimes an ethnicity like a pole could cross a border to another polish village or something (before everyone got mostly rearranged into their respective countries by the soviets and others) but formal citizenship etc didn't happen. it's a bit easier when lots of people are subsistence farmers vs depending on a national infrastructure/benefits etc also

oh please, germany had a welfare state in the 1880s well before militarized borders.

not that a shock that a liberal will parrot the white supremacist talking point about immigrants stealing benefits from the welfare state

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
You could open the borders tomorrow and the nonwhites aren't going to flood into your country, good lord.

America had a more or less completely open border with Mexico until 1965 and there wasn't a mass migration of Mexicans coming to steal white people's jobs and benefits

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pmchem posted:

Universal absolutely open borders results in China taking over any small, strategic location it desires by state-sponsored (forced) immigration. Iceland, Monaco, Guam, Cyprus, Panama, Denmark, random countries in Africa, the list goes on. It’s a ridiculous idea if taken at face value.

lmao white people actually believe this

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wilhelm posted:

soviets unironically did this - it isn't a stretch to say an authoritarian dictatorship can force people around pretty easily

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anyone who quotes this post with a picture of what they're cooking/eating for thanksgiving will get a nice happy new avatar.

it's all going to be the same avatar so i'll find a nice dog or something.

Carnitas were made, carnitas were eaten:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
NYT: hire 👏 more 👏 women 👏 war 👏 criminals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fulchrum posted:

What exactly is the average standard of living in China today versus 30 years ago?

For factory workers accustomed to the iron rice bowl, way down.

For capitalists and skilled professionals, way up.

Which is precisely how liberals like it