Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
a simple post for a simpler time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Party Plane Jones posted:

that was a lot of booze he drank

getting banned from twitch and patreon to deliver a righteous message

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lmao

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

exmarx posted:

karl urban's accent is SO bad

i don't know why they didn't just let him be an aussie

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
and yet the best things about our country came out of prairie populism.

time just gets away from us.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cease to Hope posted:

ardennes and paine are cool

i have no idea who half of the others are though

helsing is CanPol's attempt at sending its best & brightest

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
you think? I was neutral on Sanders in 2016 and even then I could tell the media coverage during the primary was some ridiculous bullshit

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I can't tell if the American media doesn't understand or doesn't care how little trust people have in the entire institution these days. The only person I've seen trying to sound the alarm is Matt Taibbi but I guess for the cable networks it doesn't affect the bottom line so it's not really a concern for them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

taibbi is a russian psy-op haven't you heard

who isn't, at this point

incidentally, i'm looking forward to having yasha levine, another psyop, beam russian agitprop into my brain with his new documentary that looks good

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That schtick hasn't worked the last few times Mike Ceronvich trotted it out, it isn't going to work now.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
greenwald is decent but needs to log the gently caress off twitter, as does everyone in general

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's true though, I was personally insulted by the incredibly shoddy journalism of I Can't Breathe and The Divide. Interviewing and contextualizing the lives of the plebs. Distasteful.

Homura and Sickle posted:

3 people have gone to prison because they leaked stuff to the intercept which they didnt scrub of metadata before publishing

yep, and it looks like they accepted laundered US DoD talking points as a 'leak'. That sucks, they suck for all that, but it's not the sum total of what Greenwald has done.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Bolsonaro wants to kill him and his husband, but you think he's a Trumpist. Alright.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

eh, i don't have twitter so i'm somewhat in the dark on the particulars here, but e.g. saying stuff like the trump impeachment being some pearl-clutching nonsense is entirely justifiable imo - the problem isn't really trump in particular, he's just a particularly vulgar kind of demagogue and hasn't really done anything that was worse than e.g. bush's ludicrous overreaches. the issue is that american politics have been infiltrated by a nihilistic death cult and that their main opposition seems to still imagine that the real problem is that donny trump is just too darn crass

it's not a radical idea that impeachment is entirely political and has nothing to do with criminality -- pretty much everyone involved in impeachments throughout american history admit as much at some point. But I too will remain ignorant and delusional about twitter dot com lore

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Berke Negri posted:

it was more blogging during the alberto gonzalez hearings in the mid aughts

in retrospect those were simpler, happier times.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

or just perma the conspiracy nuts since they're all going to leave for the succzone offsite if it ever gets off the ground

lmao

i've come to enjoy cspam but I don't think I've ever really read the trump/succ threads and so all this outward hostility makes no sense to me

Homeless Friend posted:

im just lollin at the inability to firewall online and offline. how do people not do this by default. it is so goddamn easy

i think it's just a function of being on social media all the time. thank god I jettisoned all that years ago now. Being on Twitter for 3 months was one of the dumbest things I've done.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 14, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

exmarx posted:

the inbuilt destruction of chronology, history, etc. is real bad too

yeah.

also agreed about forums being better than chats. social media sucks rear end and is run by people who have a terrifying vision of the future

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
but isn't dadchat... a chat?

we are undone

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

also lol at the idea that forums aren't also easily able to be run by morons who have horrific views of the future.

I mean the scale is completely different. You got a down on his luck guy who is going to be indebted to the American medical system for years versus a group of insane former anarchists turned libertarian capitalists who want to use their engineered social platforms as the way we interact with everything.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I will grant you reddit, though

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

exmarx posted:

or just the result of unbelievably bad reading comprehension.

I think that's gone downhill too with social media, but at some point when compiling a "things have gone downhill list" i have to consider the real possibility that I'm just getting old

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Berke Negri posted:

at least the twitter facebook people get paid

maybe

not nearly enough from the sounds of it.

I think it's to the credit of some of the subforums and mods that they've gotten to the point where almost no moderation is needed.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cease to Hope posted:

because nobody posts in them

Mission Accomplished.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Being an admin has to be worse than being a mod I imagine

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
this whole 'posting is praxis' thing that seems to a)not be a joke and b)be gaining traction is weirding me out

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Berke Negri posted:

yeah this plus the massive proliferation of offsite discords which are sort of unofficial but not? seems to be a real big problem with this recent drama

not to be confused with the drama that made me actually tune out SA in 2017 which feels 100% opposite of the current poo poo

I can't even remember what that drama was, but I definitely have tuned out SA more since 2015-2016 or so due to real life poo poo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Berke Negri posted:

lowtax posting on the kiwi farms and going haha yeah which people are forgetting for whatever dumb poo poo ppj did for the time being

I'd literally never heard of kiwifarms until it got brought up in the FYAD transphobia stuff. I assume it's just the new SASS?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

exmarx posted:

it started out as a chris chan stalking forum, but has turned into a pan-internet thing now

the gently caress? Okay well that's a hell of an origin story.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Berke Negri posted:

wasnt joking when it said it was nazi

I mean it's 2020, I definitely believe you about the nazi part.

exmarx posted:

there's discords full of people who unironically think getting banned is police brutality. it's wild.

the people claiming being banned is undue financial hardship on vulnerable people is uh...well I don't know what to think anymore.

I've used discord for voice chat for video games but I guess I missed out all the invites to the cool kids clubs

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 14, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

there's a whole thing about how the internet/twitter/whatever is their only social interaction and i am not sure how you deal with that.

Yeah, it's their only connection to a safe community or something. I'm at a loss on that one too.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Berke Negri posted:

i can get that, though safe is ever shifting

Oh I get it but, on SA? just seems like the wrong forum (heh) for it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
people love attention (twitch) or negative attention (twitter)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
that seems a noble enough goal, i'll start posting here regularly again to help

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
twitter's bad

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah the CBC show Unreserved had a show about star wars and first nations stories

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
what did you do rask. what did you do.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
trump is going to eviscerate her if she's the nominee lmao

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"It's unfortunate that Mr. Trump has taken to twitter to make these angry remarks at a time where Americans are more divided than ever," said Warren running mate Rachel Dolezal

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
trust me, as someone with UHC it's worth more than anything that happens online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the brad stevens/buttgieg comparison is uncanny and i will never unsee it