Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

:toot: new thread. Pour one out for westerngfx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

PBJ posted:

Apparently Silfae mentioned the Saxons would use the Norman portraits as a base in the most recent dev diary.

Yeah, currently they use westerngfx faces and a unique clothing set until 950, and then switch to westerngfx clothes thereafter. As of Holy Fury they replace all the westerngfx stuff with English/Norman assets.

I wonder what the Normans will use now, though? Doesn't make any sense for them to share anything with Saxons if they never conquer England. IMO they should switch them to using the new French portraits, maybe with some Norse faces/hair or something if they want to differentiate them a bit.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

i too am joining the 'Move Reaper's Due to Good DLC' faction

Same, it's one of the few like Way of Life or Conclave that affect literally everybody and not just certain regions/religions.

Also, we should replace that Bulgarian king in the headers with the new Slavic portait version once Holy Furry comes out.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Also make it a text- and screenshot-based LP, because -- shocker -- this text, chart, and map-based game does not lend itself well to video at all.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm surprised by the inclusion of that new Latin culture along the Croatian coast of the Adriatic, since our knowledge of Dalmatians is spotty.

I've never really known the difference between the various Byzantine cultures, it's all Greek to me.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

axeil posted:

My Earth 2150 trilogy LP literally took me 3 years to complete with each update taking around 3-4 hours to play+write. Text/screenshot LPs are a lot more work than video ones imo.

Yeah they're definitely more work, but they're way more fun to read. We appreciate the effort. :)

Can't play until I get home from work, but apparently there's an event that's the exact opposite of Devilspawn called Blessed Child? Apparently it goes to second sons who don't stand to inherit anything, and gives them insane personal combat stats and a invasion CB that they can pass on through bloodlines. Has anyone seen this yet?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Man, these new soundtrack songs are corny as poo poo but absolutely perfect for this expansion. One of them literally uses the phrase "painting the map" and it's glorious. :parrot:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Counterpoint: A bunch of snot-nosed kids seizing Jerusalem from the Islamic world? It’s actually more believable for angels to come down to earth.

Plus it would explain the 80k troops materializing out of thin air. Deus did some Vulting for Christmas.

If the 80k troops are a new "Kid Holding A Plank With Some Nails In It" unit type even weaker than light infantry then i'd say this is working as intended

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Nah, I had the same problem in reverse. My daughters were being picked by elders despite having valid sons as Mali, which is under Ag-Cog

I haven't tried the new eldership rules, but in previous versions under elective succession, there really wasn't a functional difference between agnatic-cognatic and full cognatic except for the small opinion malus for female heirs or rulers under the former. Presumably enatic-cognatic works similarly.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Huh, apparently you can pretty much just win the Crusades now.

https://old.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/9xbsvj/you_can_now_win_the_crusades/

Forming the Empire of Outremer not only destroys both Caliphates, but also makes the entire Arabian peninsula a new de jure empire and gives you an insanely powerful bloodline for being the most badass Crusader King hey, that's the name of the show! who ever lived.

quote:

Damage Against Religious Enemies: +20%

Monthly Prestige: 0.30

Personal Combat Skill: +10

Christian Opinion: +5

Convert Counties to your Religion faster.

Most of the hype from Holy Fury is pagan-focused but I love that there's a ton of kickass Christian stuff too. :black101:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 15, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

That can happen now? That's really cool. I mean, it probably could happen before too, but given the addition of a Merovingian bloodline I wouldn't be surprised if that made it more likely. That's neat.

Theodoric's been around since Reaper's Due, I think, but he's an unlanded monk so you can't start as him. In the Charlemagne start he's one of a handful of people with strong claims on West and Middle Francia, so anyone with a bone to pick with Karl has a pretty good chance of backing Theo for the throne.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

guns for tits posted:

Only problem is that MA is tanking due to the sons of Ragnar going loving hard. All the of the British isles are pagan now

Once you convert to Hellenic paganism that shouldn't be a problem. :hist101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

guns for tits posted:

I’d need to form Rome first though, right? That might be the difficult part considering Catholicism has 0 MA

I could be wrong, but I don't think moral authority matters for that decision? Also I don't think you even need to restore the Empire before you convert, there's an event chain to secretly covert to the Hellenic gods if you control certain provinces.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Man, that "refill an entire holding's personal levies" button you get from Warrior Lodges is insanely powerful. Usually I'm loathe to use my personal levies because they seem to refill a lot slower than my vassals', but now I can throw them around like candy and refill them instantly with a pittance of Renown.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Of course my genius and strong heir decided to go and eat a prisoner for that delicious -50 general opinion, because why not

Edit: "At least it gave him "The Abomination" as a title.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Bideo James, The Funny Way to Say "Video Games" > Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury - Of course my heir decided to go and eat a prisoner

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

You know what we need, a way to forget a combat trait. It's weird that you can be forced into a choice when fighting that saddles you with a mostly useless specialization forever.

Isn't there usually a "No, I desire to focus on something else" option?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

trapped mouse posted:

My main question is, are there any tutorials or recommended let's plays to learn the game with all the DLCs added? I know Holy Fury just came out, I can probably learn that one separately, but there is a ton of DLCs, all with separate mechanics that work together in various ways I'm sure. A lot of tutorials I see work with the base game, and after all the DLC the game changes like crazy. Any advice?

The tutorials linked in the OP still work pretty well for explaining how the bones of the game work, as long as you're playing a Catholic feudal like it is. The only DLC that will really throw that off is Conclave, which I would recommend turning off for a first-time player. Every other DLC either makes a new, different type of ruler playable (the Republic, Old Gods, Sword of Islam, etc.) or just adds a couple more plates to spin on top of the tutorial game (Way of Life, Reaper's Due, Monks & Mystics).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One caveat to the “max gold from cities” thing is that troop requirements affect ships as well and if you have a vassal merchant republic they can supply a shitload of ships which you won’t get on 100% gold.

I've found this usually isn't a huge deal. If you have a lot of coastal feudal vassals they will generally give you more ships than you need, and if you have an overseas province you can hire mercenary ships at a pretty reasonable cost.

Stairmaster posted:

How do you win holy wars if your allies are too stupid to keep their armies together.

If you're the war leader you can actually boss around your allies. In the military tab you can tell them to either focus on sieging enemy counties or hunt down enemy armies, or you can click on one of your armies and tell your allies to follow them around.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-39-as-you-wish.997186/

Huh, apparently you can actually tell them to capture specific counties too. Almost 1,000 hours in and I'm still learning new stuff.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

My current game I've been stalling on becoming king because I want to be able to look back on the history tab and see when I was just a duke and not a full king

Hahaha I am so glad I'm not the only person who does this. It's completely pointless and stupid, but when I screenshot my game over screen and share it with nobody I want to be reminded of my progress, dammit. :colbert:

Doltos posted:

Is the court educator based off of the old formula of having someone with Brilliant Strategist educate all your kids? I'm not sure if I should be going by traits, learning attributes, or profession. Also I've been sending my kids to Brilliant Strategists or Grey Eminances since Holy Fury came out and they constantly are coming out with low stats. I'm not sure how it works now.

I think traits are the #1 priority now-- the education level you get is based entirely on whatever childhood traits the kid has when you pick the focus, with a bonus or penalty if they're Genius/Quick/Imbecile/whatever. The tutor's personal education trait is pretty much irrelevant.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 24, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Can somebody more mod smart than me point me towards what exactly I would need to change to get Nubian culture characters to wear Byzantine or Arab clothing? The feathery crowns and whatnot aren't really meshing well with the game I've got going on. I've looked all over the workshop but it looks like Nubian culture has nothing going on.

That's because Nubians got their own portrait pack a while ago.

That said, if you want to mod it yourself, take a look at the custom ethnicities section here. Make a new african_portraits.gfx (or whatever the African portraits file is), copy over the file, and then go through and replace "african" in each clothing and headgear line with the "byzantine" or "muslim". Keep in mind that there are six PortraitTypes to change (male/female each with young/middle/old age), and each type has front and back clothing and headgear.

Once you get the hang of it it's not hard, but the official portrait pack is so good and only $2.50 so I'd definitely recommend that.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Just had the Pope agree to coronate me on the condition that I give him 400 gold to fund a rager at the Vatican, at which I was the guest of honor. After diving dick-first into a pile of naked bodies -- gaining Lustful and Hedonist in the process -- I knelt in a fountain of wine while the Holy Father, wearing nothing but his mitre, crowned me Latin Emperor.

I'm ten years old.

GOTY.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Piell posted:

You got killed by Death

(Random event)

Yup. Remember to always let her in a pick black, after that your best chances of surviving depend on your stats: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/300708/how-do-i-win-the-chess-with-death-event

Sydin posted:

I'm sure this has been answered, but can somebody tell me what specific counties you need to form the Outremer empire? I have all of Jerusalem, the Sinai Peninsula, and about 60% of Syria.

You need the entire Near East, which I think corresponds basically to the entire Arabian peninsula*. Remember that it needs to be under your *complete* control, so if the decision isn't popping up it's time to scour your counties one by one looking for stray unowned baronies.

EDIT: just looked it up, you need the entire je jure kingdoms of Jerusalem, Syria, al-Jazira, Iraq, Arabia, Yemen, and the duchy of Sinai. Egypt isn't necessary, but it becomes part of de jure Outremer if you have it when you make the decision (you really want it though, it's rich as poo poo and has a bunch of Silk Road tradeposts which make you mad ducats)

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 30, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Sydin posted:

That's going to take awhile without breaking some truces, considering one dickhead owns the whole thing. :sigh:

If you can spare the prestige, gently caress 'em-- Muslims are going to hate the poo poo out of you anyway so make hay while the sun is shining.

Also remember to vassalize the Templars and/or Hospitallers, they consist of thousands of heavy infantry and cavalry that you can call up for a pittance, letting you punch way above your weight.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Question: If you start as a feudal realm and eventually pass the Imperial Administration realm law, do you actually adopt the Imperial government type the Byzantines have -- purple portrait frame and everything -- or are you still Feudal?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

You're still feudal, the Byzantines have their own unique mechanic (shared with the Roman Empire, of course). Imperial Administration merely allows your to use duchy and kingdom level viceroyalties, to revoke duchy level voceroyalties for free and to retract vassals for free. And it increases your vassal limit by a hefty 25.

Ah nuts, I wanted that fancy purple portrait frame that HIP gives you. :(

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main thing about the Charlie start that you don't get in the later starts, even Old Gods, is tribals and pagans everywhere. Old Gods is obviously still pretty pagan-heavy but they've been pushed out of a lot of Europe and many of the ones that still are there are feudal rather than tribal (which you technically can't do normally but Old Gods was made before Charlemagne so there are still some feudal unreformed pagans).

Honestly the best start date is still probably the original start date and the variations around it (William the Conqueror, Alexiad). The earlier start dates are neat but there's not much in the game that actually requires that huge time frame to accomplish.

I think generally the 1066 start is better if you prefer politicking, while 769 and 867 are better if you're looking for a more combat-focused campaign. Anywhere where two different religions share a border is going to have a lot more fighting, and there's a hell of a lot more of that in the earlier start dates.

Obviously you can change this up depending on who or where you choose to play (a count in Lotharingia in 867 probably is going be scheming, while one of the Spanish kings in 1066 is going to be fighting a lot) but in general that's how it seems to shake out.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

My new ruler went to Jerusalem on a pilgrimage but wasn't impressed, so he picked up Cynical. Then, he decided to emulate his legendary Crusading father who forged the Empire - starting by mimicking his Zealousness. So now I presume he's an internet atheist who can't wait to tell you about why god is dead?

Think your game glitched out, I thought Cynical and Zealous were mutually exclusive.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Plot to kill the emperors, one after the other, have your chancellor sowing dissent in the capitol and your spymaster sabotaging it. Few decades of that and things should destabilize somewhat.

The new Holy Fury "antagonize" option is pretty useful too, there's a lot of events to give him general opinion or vassal opinion maluses.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

Welp.

Question: is there any way to force-start the event where my son goes to the Varangians? I'm trying to duplicate a bug, and it's... fickle.

Console: event TOG.3109

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Well this just seems mean

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

While we're on the topic, what makes the Pope decide to call off a crusade? Is it just if his relative strength is too low and he doesn't think he'll win?

I say this because my Hellenic Roman Empire just hit Justinian's borders and the Pope's called off three crusades in a row for Italy. Let's fuckin' throw down, you little dick.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

If the Pope won't come to you, clearly you must come to the Pope.

Already did, I'm kicking my heels up in Rome (after burning down all of his churches, natch) while his candy-rear end is hiding out in the Pope Dimension

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

is there a mod that actually lets you destroy the pope once and for all

Probably not-- a lot of events, like the Mongol invasions, use events that are keyed off the holder of k_papacy with the assumption that he'll always exist. Deleting him tends to break the game in some really weird ways

edit: haha drat, what he said ^^^

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well part of what makes the Ragnarr one a bit weird is the fact that you can actually play him and he gets it no matter how ordinary his life in your game actually is. The intent of the historical bloodlines is that they all happened before the game actually starts so they actually are the historical badasses we know them as, but TOG/Charlemagne make it a bit weird by having a significant number of historical people as playable before they did their big thing.

Yeah I always thought it was weird that the Carolingian bloodline comes from Charles Martel, not Charlemagne, but I guess they were trying to avoid this particular problem. Although Charles Martel was pretty badass in his own right.

Related, that bloodline loving owns if you're a Catholic. The opinion and personal combat bonuses are nice, but the real treat is that every few years some 36-martial Brilliant Strategist Duelist will show up at your court and be like "hey, I hear this is the place to be if you like kicking rear end, where do I sign up"

Incidentally, does anyone know where I should start looking if I want the Parthian bloodline? I'm thinking of doing another Armenia run and that's the only one I know of that gives you Miaphysite great warriors without forging it yourself

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 13, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

You look... into Armenia? The biggest non-Muslim vassal of the Armenian king in the Old Gods start date has Parthian blood iirc. Generally, the people with Parthian or Sassanid blood are either in Armenia, Georgia, or northern Persia.

Makes sense, I just had this idea on the bus this morning and unfortunately my office is one of those annoying "don't play mapgames on the clock" sort of the workplaces :sigh:

This should be in the OP btw

https://twitter.com/armenia/status/1029296342500298754?s=19

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Just got a child of destiny for the first time. Holy loving poo poo, you guys. :stare:

Valeran strangled a snake to death in his crib, chugged a vial of poison without injury at age 3, killed an assassin with a fire poker at age 7, and killed a lion at age 13. At 19 he ascended to the throne of Jerusalem and repelled two jihads, and then spent most of his 20s conquering Egypt, Arabia, Yemen, Iraq, Al-Jazira, and Syria. At 30, he was crowned Emperor of Outremer, single-handedly shattering both Caliphates and grinding the moral authority of Islam into dust. With his meteorite-forged blade he personally slew nearly two dozen men in his conquests -- you'll notice he's by far the best swordsman in the world even with a severe injury, and he's been the Grand Champion of the Round Table since his teens.

Dude is earning that nickname.

"I looked, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer." :black101:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 17, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Which graphics mod is this? I used one recommended by a poster earlier but this one looks a little different.

In Heavens -- It's pretty cool, the map colors get more transparent as you zoom in so you can see the terrain underneath. Kind looks like the Imperator previews.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I wish the chivalric orders in that were more like the pagan fight clubs but with :decorum: -I mean Chivalry instead of poetic rap battles and drinking. I found the way they set things up really unwieldy, and I guess it was made before Holy Fury because you have to trip through the duel engine in it.

Yeah, their duel engine is pretty dogshit (the *skip duel* button is a godsend, but not always available) but the creator has a "well I spent so much time on this I'm not taking it out" sort of attitude, which kind of sucks. Mod's pretty cool otherwise -- I'm a big fan of the warrior pilgrimage to get the superpowered versions of the command traits, even if it could use a few more events for variety.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

Some questions:

My current empire has some legal reforms passed, like Full status for women. Will my new crusader kingdom also inherit these reforms and the general government structure?

I want to give the new guy all the tools I can to succeed. Is it possible to give this new crusader king substantially all of my artifacts after the crusade is concluded and before the tag switch decision is made? What about money?

1) No, AFAIK -- the new crusader kingdom starts with Ag-Cog Primogeniture and Late Feudal Admin but I don't think it carries over your old laws. That said, the crusader king will have the aptly-named Crusader King trait that gives huge bonuses to Catholic opinion, so it shouldn't be hard to get loyalist councilors to pass your desired laws. Cairo and Alexandria (can't imagine wanting your capital anywhere else) are extremely well-developed provinces so the tech levels required to pass those laws shouldn't be an issue either.

2) Yep. I forget the cooldown for gifting artifacts though, so start handing them off early. Save the crown for last -- the new crusader king is guaranteed a really high-quality helmet (that looks loving badass, btw)

As for cash, I think the only way is to manually send gifts. Unfortunately crusade recipients have to be unlanded so your gift amount will be pretty tiny. That said, everyone who participates in the crusade -- especially the recipient -- gets a GIGANTIC lump sum if they win, so that plus your new Silk Road trade posts in Egypt should be more than enough for a Scrooge McDuck-esque money pool. Turn Sinai into a pet republic facing the Red Sea for even more dosh.

Final tip: My advice for your first post-crusade invasion is for Jerusalem. You probably know this already, but they get to vassalize either the Templars or the Hospitallers and raise them essentially for free, giving you an extra 5-10K heavy infantry and knights to kick some Saracen rear end with. Plus, founding the Kingdom of Jerusalem title gives you something like 8K prestige and 5K piety. Egypt and Jerusalem are both super rich, so the combined title should be enough to fend off any jihad, especially if some of the other Catholic powers decide to help out.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

Another thing I’m wondering about is if you have any tips on maximizing crusade contribution? Despite being a little stronger than the HRE and fully committing to the Byzantine crusade, the HRE edged me out on contribution to a fairly significant extent. I think the problem may have been that I focused more on sieging down Constantinople rather than getting into pitches battles with the Greeks...it was tough moving big stacks around Thrace during the Crusade without subjecting them to significant attrition losses, and I always feel like a massive idiot whenever I have troops due to attrition. The HRE has no such compunctions and would regularly have droves of men die to starvation in the mountains and throw them into battle against impossible odds, where they would be slaughtered but I would mop up the remaining weakened Greeks myself.

Get there early and siege down what you can before the Muslims can assemble their doomstacks. If you see the opportunity to pick off a smaller army go for it, but don't fight anything you're not 100% sure you can win. If you get caught, retreat out of the battle instead of fighting to the death and hang out on your ships until the doomstack wanders off. Once the rest of the Crusaders arrive, tag along with the largest stack you can find -- don't literally chain yourself to it, but stay in the province next door and jump in whenever they're about to enter a battle or if they're seiging a county. You'll get partial credit for every victory, which combined with your early blitz can really add up.

I agree that your mistake during the Byzantine crusade was focusing on Constantinople specifically -- thanks to the Theodosian Walls it's the hardest county in the entire game to siege down, and the capitol bonus doesn't outweigh the time or effort. You probably would have been better off seiging a bunch of weaker holdings in Thrace.