Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I got Holy Fury on reccomendation and honestly... don’t like it.

The dumb stuff like Hedgehog Emperors is great for exactly one run. But for the base game it’s just Wacky Pagan Vikings: The Overpowerening like it has been for the past million expansions.

No meaningful changes to the base mechanics that feudal and iqta characters use... but EVEN MORE overpowered insanity for my fifteenth “Norse slavic roman emperor descended from Charlemagne” playthrough.

Pagans are powerful and fun, great, now maybe some mechanics for the dudes that murderfucked pagans irl? Maybe a mechanic half as fun as pagan reformation? Maybe a 769 scenario that has even a very unlikely chance to produce something like the real middle ages?

NO, pagans need more map painting options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also can we have councillor commanders who can be assigned to an army without taking them off their assigned councillor action, and then have them automatically go back to their job when they leave the army?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyone tried 1.3 version of Warhammer: Geheimnisnach? Does it work well?

Supposedly Holy Fury compatible and undergoing a series of major overhauls.

I remember this mod being awesome, with the sole exception being that like Games Workshop the mod team is a big fan of Chaos overwhelms everything in the end.

Also, was a bit buggy at times.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/official-happy-holidays-heretics.1141282/

EDIT: Never mind, misread the announcement. 1.3 isn't out yet. Just an unreleased beta at the moment. <_<

Chaos overwhelming everything is a key part of the ham setting. I swear to you, neither the modders nor the original gw writers are Chaos Fans skewing the ~~lore~~ for their faction

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How the gently caress is it that we’re two dozen expansions in and war is still equally as stupid as ever? It’s barely improved compared to fuckin CK1 even except retinues help you ignore it being total poo poo.

Please for gently caress’s sake give me a final expansion that makes it so the HRE (known bastion of stability and united realm) can’t just effortlessly poo poo tens of thousands of men across Spain and the Maghreb.

E: also now that reconquistas and crusades are decent can we also just get rid of holy wars for catholics? Being a spanish muslim is just eternal hellwar vs france and hre. You can outgame the ai but it’s boring and tedious as poo poo and ruins any attempt at a more roleplay style game.

E2: also lol at the shiny new crusade system being broken crap in multiple starts. For example, pick Alexiad and watch 15 crusades for Thrace that succeed, take Rum’s 3 thracian provinces, then lose them as soon as the truce is up, then Thrace again!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 27, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Charlz Guybon posted:

gently caress that bullshit. In Storm of Chaos the forces of Chaos got their asses absolutely stomped and only ludicrous blatant cheating on the part of Games Workshop even made it close. We're talking 1927 rigged Liberian election level cheating.

Lol no. GW barely salvaged a story out of their broken 12 v 2 faction campaign. Everyone knew exactly how it would end before it began. The corporate writers do not have hardons for the badwrong faction

You realize that GW also wrote the grimgor punking... wait no this is dumb.

You know what else is dumb: the fancy new byzantine electoral law where the emperor stands a great chance of losing constantinople and it’s literally impossible for the AI to maintain a byzantine dynasty.

Honestly this game kinda sucks now after all the expansions and poo poo. I’ve been playing on and off for years and it’s gone full into “wacky pagan adventures” at the expense of all the classic kings and sultans and various other assholes. Yeah doing the wacky poo poo is fun once but picking a random character and trying to roleplay is worse than ever. It’s impossible for anything close to history to play out. I don’t want railroading but the truth is the game is railroaded, it’s just instead of historically railroaded, it’s railroaded via start date.

But boy, karling run #22 and enatic hellenic alexandrian viking run #17 are so well served

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 29, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Coolguye posted:

i'm honestly not sure what you would do in CK3 to make it better, really. the main thing i can think of is ripping out and redoing absolutely core systems like the character relationship systems to change how opinion functions, and then basically build from that fundamental difference. beyond the gaminess of a few core systems CK2 has more detail and thought put into its subject matter than pretty much any other game in history.

The game loving sucks and thank god there’s a re-do incoming.

It’s been nearly a decade since anyone had an unmodded CK2 experience that wasn’t just beating the game’s newest Very Realistic Mechanic over their knee. loving lol at it “thought put into the subject matter.”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Classic “I hate this game I’ve sunk 1500 hours into” post

100% true

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like the idea of legacies but I hope they don't allow snowballing too hard. CK is the only paradox line where you can reasonably expect your nation to collapse without being brand new or playing a really hard start and that needs to keep happening, plus flavour-wise great dynasties tend to go out with a pathetic whimper. No one sings about the glorious last stands of Charles "the Fat" Karling or Charles II "oh... oh no..." von Habsburg.

Hell the Capetians and their descendants lasted nearly a thousand years and they didn't go out even impressively sucking. Just two sad old cousins deposed and exiled one after the other. They couldn't even stick with the first, memorable time they got deposed.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 31, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm the Kingdom of Sardinia in 2019, still unable to form Italia because I don't want to mess with the Pope and his one goddam church

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Morgannwg is the name of the place in welsh.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Seduce the pope and have a bastard

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"Paradox Interactive to players: kill muslims and mongols"

Now that would be a fun headline

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tatsuta Age posted:

My God I just started my first Viking run and this is a million times more fun than plain jane Catholic runs

I really hope CK3 addresses this. Almost every new playable in turn ended up being way more fun and having more options than the previous options. Especially Old Gods and onwards versus what came before, as feudal christians at least get some stuff over republics and muslims, while from vikings onwards the new guys are just way more fun. Stuff like customizing non-pagan religions will hopefully help.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ah yes only very normal cool people care about interracial cuckold possibilities in the video game

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Teleporting Cuck Kings III

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a eunuch, I cucked my lord and now my bastard is an emperor, how do i get out of this

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Eimi posted:

That would be interesting, especially if there were bonuses to incentivize it. Since at least under CK2 systems you'd be losing your bloodlines. So if you traded that for a more stable realm or a ruler with better stats, would be interesting. Of course I'd hope it also comes with a better Byzantine system. Where is the Emperor has a direct heir or appoints someone it goes to them, but there are strong claims given out and if the chosen ruler is bad, ie too young/bad stats, etc. it triggers a civil war. Rather than it being directly elective.

Yeah the Byzantine system is cool but the AI is all but incapable of actually maintaining a dynasty on the throne. It’s bizarre looking at the history and seeing dynasties lasting for decades and then as soon as the game starts The Byzantine throne becomes musical chairs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Beans posted:

What about choice of playable character on succession being tied to inheritance law?

If you have gravelkind you can select to continue to play as any of the children inheriting. If the law is set to seniority then you have no choice. Other inheritance laws would be something in between I guess.

Seniority in particular stands out to me as annoying cuz I'd almost always really prefer to be my own kid and not some elderly jackass cousin, even if he gets the primary title.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
See also: Sikhs and orthodox Christian priests post-9/11

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah it'd be pretty loving dumb and easy if stuff like revolts didn't count. Bloodlines are already hilariously dumb and easy to stack, there shouldn't be one for "be an emperor and then don't declare a war"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

No Pants posted:

It does take me a little out of it, though. Like, everyone would have remembered this emperor's commitment to peace and prosperity, but 29 years in, some peasants took up arms after his vassal's vassal's vassal's marshal started beating people up.

That's a bit of it to me though- a monarch so committed to peace and prosperity and good government that their mere name confers confidence in everyone a few hundred years later... wouldn't have had a lovely vassal's vassal appoint someone who's so awful that thousands of people take up arms. That'd be just a solid, good monarch. Bloodlines should be for insanely good poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SirPhoebos posted:

I hope they adjust what vassals are okay with when you deal with criminals.

It's always frustrating seeing vassals not being okay with you executing a noble caught red-handed murdering the previous king.

What if they didn't like the old guy though?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah this would be a great addition. One of the things that bugs me in CK2 is how you can end up with like 8 kids, but ultimately only 1 or 2 of them really matters, to the point where I usually don't even bother arranging marriages for the others (since that's just going to lead to more people who ultimately don't matter), which leads to an incredibly boring dynasty tree that's basically just a straight line of successions and a whole bunch of branches that don't go anywhere. Having the ability to just go "go, live your own life" and have them actually continue the dynasty as a landless character would be way more interesting, and also lead to a much more interconnected game as they marry into other lines with other landless minor nobility.

Yeah this plus traits being supposedly less common but more meaningful is really good imo.

Also maybe it's :thejoke: but that paradox screed was originally posted (and mocked on SA) in 2012 when Sunset Invasion first got announced. If it's showing up on their forums today it's definitely a copy paste from someone who is not crazy. Or maybe they are crazy and agree wholeheartedly with the op, could be that.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 18, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Vicky III except it's called either Bolivar or Marx, and you play as the head of a political movement that may or may not care about family ties, and may be a smaller part of a larger umbrella organization, 1763-1922

Like you could be Croatian Nationalists and in vassalage to Habsburg Reactionaries in 1848 in hopes that they'll entitle you to Croatian Sovereignty that is currently owned by Hungarian Republicans

e: alternatively extend CK3 to the present and let me play as that Habsburg F1 driver

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 18, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Extend it to 1936 and just have more and more lowborn characters with offmap urban mob levies popping up over time joining factions like "Proletarian Dictatorship for Holy Roman Empire"

Also, I can't stand byzantine succession. I haven't played much at all in byz since it happened.

I hate how it leads to AI Byzantiums being in near-constant civil war. Yes yes it's "accurate" but the byzantine's infighting was mostly not on the scale of "half the empire's territory and army in constant war against the other half." It needs more palace coups and intrigue and less of Octavian vs Antony. Also it should be at least possible for an AI dynasty to last for more than one generation, and the succession mechanics wrt to the Imperial heir vs your familial heir and land should be far more transparent for the player.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 22, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hey, would't want the immortality even chain breaking immersion or making things ahistoric

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tippis posted:

Rule I of Latin plurals: if you think it's going to be -ii, it won't.

it's not hard. ii happens after ius. TRIARII-triarius.

if there is not an i before the us then the plural isn't ii

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's pretty bizarre that finno-ugrics in the rear end-end of the arctic can cheerfully marry themselves off to west africans, but christian-muslim marriages between two neighbours is Totally Forbidden.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is it not possible to rename your armies? I can't seem to find a way

Not in CK2. That made more sense back when the game came out and you couldn't mass standing armies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tias posted:

et me? :v:

E: is there anywhere the names of achievements are explained? Stuff like 'I'm Sorry, Desiderata' and 'On English Neck a Norman Yoke' seem like they have a historical source. (like, I know William became king of England, but where's the sentence from?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_yoke

The "norman yoke" is a disproved former theory (that almost always conveniently led into white supremacy) about how England's "unique freedoms" like common law, parliament, and so on descended from the freeborn germanic anglo-saxons and were almost snuffed out by the barbarous continental franco-normans.

Nowadays we are fairly sure that most of those precious things date to after the norman conquest and have gently caress all to do with anglo-saxons, and the whole idea of what the anglo-saxon and norman conquests entailed has changed a fair bit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

If my Feudal vassal has a City vassal, and I have Feudal Obligations set to Max Levies (which I think has 0% taxation?), do I make get income from the city?

build-hide under-nest to make-get gold and clanrats, hmm, yes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ilitarist posted:

I think it's a persistent problem with Paradox devs knowing English (so they develop in English instead of hiring translators) but rarely being native speakers themselves. I'm like that too and I often see how clumsy some of my phrases came out. That's why there are plenty of very vague or clumsy terms in their games. E.g. all those monarch points irritate players cause they're even called like something from a videogame. And a lot of terms are just overlapping, like prestige, legitimacy, piety, fervor, power projection and so on.

The non-english versions often have some really dire translations, or so I've heard. I've watched a few streamers play in french and those seem fine but apparently german and spanish tend to being so awful that everyone just plays in english.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
:goonsayinacharlemagnehat: Actually, it was all three!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also he's fat with a bad mustache

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Right, because I turn that monkey cheese poo poo off.

:hai:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Problem: I wanna do the challenges for the sweet sweet cosmetics, but then I immediately get bored of CK2 and want CK3

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fintilgin posted:

Probably Unpopular Opinion:

In CK3 raiding should be balanced so that it eventually becomes unprofitable and stops around the time it did historically.

Perhaps instead of simulating viking raids as 50,000 man armies roaming around burning down Europe you should just raise ships, set the ships (with no troops) to 'raid' and then they sit off the coast slowly gathering gold. As fort levels increase the profit you make decreases and eventually stops.

Raiding micro sucks on both sides and even if you reform Norse the idea of raiding continuing indefinitely despite increasing fortifications and defenses is just kinda silly.

agreed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Anno posted:

I'm looking for a new LP to have on the other monitor at work. Any suggestions for a good CK2 series? Preferably from someone who plays on the slower side, roleplays a bit and isn't a weird alt-right mapgamer.

shamelessly stolen, these days this is my go-to for second monitor:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_monitor_Parna%C3%ADba_(U17)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
HoI2 had an alien invasion console command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
CK2 was the first (and only) Paradox game that was worth buying on release