Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Condiv posted:

will the dems ever actually stand up for their constituents instead of immediately folding to megacorps?

Buh buh buh Uncle Phil does so much for the communities of Oregon! :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Prester Jane posted:

It's a very subtle (and very Japanese) burn that plays on Trump's delusions by indirectly drawing attention to said delusions without directly contradicting them. Its a very Japanese way of throwing shade.

Yeah, it's the Japanese equivalent of, "Oh bless your heart."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hold on to your butts, everyone. 2019 is in fine form already.

Functional crowd-sourcing? Be still my heart.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

HootTheOwl posted:

Eh, I was surprised by the cartoonish scale of the attack too. Like there was a checklist of "essential black person hatecrime activity" and they needed to check everything off. Don't get me wrong I believe him.

Someone was just trying to fill their entire racist bingo card in one go.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

BattleMaster posted:

I thought it was a little fishy when it turned out the maga chuds yelling racial slurs and using lynch imagery were black Nigerians but I didn't say anything because doubting victims isn't a good look.

I suppose this outcome is better than lynchmobs on the street but it's just a sad affair any way it could have gone :negative:

Same.

My brainbroke ex is claiming he got paid by the Russians for all this. I'm like, honey...the levels of incompetent fuckery are already way off the charts here, let's not over complicate it more than it already is.

I mean, hiring Nigerians to allegedly shout MAGA poo poo are you loving kidding me.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Rigel posted:

Some people will need to be more careful about crossing the road than others soon...

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1103027435354894337

Wait, are we in an episode of Better Off Ted?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
For context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqG1fX3ZaLQ

It's too fuckin real.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

mystes posted:

If you do a google image search for "sean grubbs-robishaw" there's an even better picture.

That is a rabbit hole I was not prepared to trip over this morning :stonklol:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Sanguinia posted:

Its hard to blame Abrahms for not wanting to risk the GA Senate race, her power is in ascension despite her Gov loss, and another major defeat could shatter that. It would be too big a dice roll for me if I were in her shoes.

What pisses me off is the so winnable MT and TX Senate races. The fucks who would rather waste millions of dollars on doomed POTUS campaigns that they will finish 8th or worse in are infuriating. We need 4 and these fuckers are making the odds significantly longer for zero gain.

Nobody ever gives any fucks about winnable races in MT. It used to be easier for a non-conservative candidate to win when our loving campaign finance laws still existed (gently caress YOU WILLIAM CLARK I PISS ON YOUR GRAVE), but now that the Koch Bros can do whatever they want, it's a complete fuckshow.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
The subscription model is good for companies because it's steady income. My company doesn't sell boxes of stuff, but our product is subscription-based, and I had to sit thru a full day class on how it works. (Please don't ask me for more details, I don't care and didn't retain much.)

It's the same with pre-orders, or when magazines start getting shaky and beg for subscribers, because they lose a cut to news stand sales. Plus you can take those subscriber numbers to the bank and get loans based off them.

That said, nerd loot subscriptions are dumb. I bought in early on because I like shirts and tchotchkes, but then I walked into the office after getting my first box and realized every loving employee was wearing the same shirt and had the same poo poo on their desks. I also don't like every property out there, and now I have a pile of like Overwatch Funkos and Stranger Things toys and I can't even give them away. Useless.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Data Graham posted:

All HTML renderers collapse multiple consecutive spaces by default, and have done so since 1994ish. Forums don’t have to do anything special to make that happen.

This.

A proper font spaces appropriately automatically. The real reason why you shouldn't bother double spacing after punctuation anymore is because automatic kearning looks nicer, so just let the machines do the labor for you.

It took a long time to break my double-spacing habit, and I learned how to type before I could read because my dad has taught keyboarding since electric typewriters were a thing...so if I can unlearn deeply ingrained muscle memory, anyone can.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

The Bloop posted:

Welcome to the Republican Party

Geezus, you're right. Let me strike that from my loving vocab immediately. Brb, Silkwood showering away the shame.

That said, srsly, in the name of typography, consider not using 2 spaces.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Oh wow. After reading "Bad Blood," anything to do with David Boies is purestrain schad fuel.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Grouchio posted:

Trump just complimented AOC by nicknaming her Evita (Peron).

Am I high?

I'm high, and it still doesn't make any sense. Like...Eva Peron was of Spanish descent. And a hero to her people. And was abused and possibly lobotomized by her husband before dying in pain and leaving a spectacular corpse, that eventually ended up in a cemetery in Milan for some reason, and finally got interred with her late husband's corpse in Spain in a super secure vault.

Like...none of that has anything to do with AOC? I will admit, I am high, and also maybe not super familiar with AOC's overall record? Did she have a brush with cervical cancer I missed?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Evita peron was formerly a prostitute, or at least someone who had publicly had a very transactional relationship with sex, so he's probably trying to call her a whore

Wait, what? I know she ran away from poverty to work as an actress in Buenos Aires, but who's reporting that she was a prostitute?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Read any of the biographies on her? she came out of industries that were at best prostitution adjacent at that era in Argentina before she established herself as a huge name. It ultimately added to her populist appeal, if anything.

drat, nope, just some basic articles after I saw a YouTube doc about what happened to her corpse after she died. May have to add some to my reading list. Thanks!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Yeah, just like how Thomas Midgley drank tetraethyllead to own the libs.

He had to take a year off work due to lead poisoning, but is responsible for leaded gasoline, so that's fine.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
There was a significant amount of science saying that lead, especially aerosolized, would be horribly toxic to everything on earth.

There were also equally viable, and much less toxic ways to improve octane, but Midgley was a dick and did what he wanted. This is the same dude who created and promoted Freon, too.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

"No homo"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
It's like how my ex says when he records DJ sets he's mixed on vinyl, he leaves some little mistakes in so you can tell it was a person mixing and not just a bunch of tracks thrown into Ableton.

Except that's not, y'know...loving accounting. There's no happy little clouds in loving accounting.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Otteration posted:

The US Naval Academy Will Host Satanic Services, According to The Satanic Temple
patheos.com/October 13, 2019
"It would also be very amusing to see the USNA try to cohere a policy of selective exclusion against religious organizations that are involved with lobbying or religious liberty litigation. Most, if not all, major religious organizations would be barred from performing services. We have sent a letter to the USNA requesting that they correct the erroneous decision reported by their spokesperson. Below is our press release:"

My band played a benefit concert to get coats and blankets for the homeless, and the local Satanic Temple showed up with a huge pile of stuff for us to donate.

Tho after reading this, eeennnh? That's from a year ago, and the concert I played was in 2017, so I can't really speak for what's happened in between.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2018/08/16/22146155/satanic-portland-splits-with-satanic-temple-over-alt-right-affiliation

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Speaking of Turkish thugs and civilians...

DC braces for Erdoğan’s visit 18 months after bodyguards assaulted protesters
"Police in Washington DC, the US state department and the Secret Service are girding themselves for the return of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Wednesday, 18 months after the Turkish president’s bodyguards ran riot in the city, assaulting protesters and American security officers."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Otteration posted:

23 dead as protests grow against India citizenship law
nbcnews.com/Dec. 21, 2019
"Nine people died Saturday during clashes between demonstrators and police in northern India, raising the nationwide death toll in protests against a new citizenship law to 23, police said."
'The “majority of the dead are young people," Singh said. “Some of them died of bullet injuries, but these injuries are not because of police fire. The police have used only tear gas to scare away the agitating mob.”'

My co-workers in Hyderabad are having issues getting to work and getting stuck at home with no internet. poo poo is dark over in India right now.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Otteration posted:

ACLU Sues Montana Over Keystone XL Protest Plans
nytimes.com//aponline/Feb. 6, 2020
"Civil liberties advocates are taking Montana officials to court to force the public release of documents detailing the government’s planned response to anticipated protests against the Keystone XL oil pipeline.

The ACLU of Montana filed a lawsuit Thursday in state District Court in Helena against the Department of Emergency Services and the Division of Criminal Investigation. The American Civil Liberties Union alleges the two agencies are involved in a coordinated effort by federal and state officials to crack down on protesters if the pipeline is built."

My band released a remix album with all sales going to the ACLU of Montana, so this pleases me.

The previous single was on a #NODAPL benefit compilation.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
How a Trillion Trees Triumphed Over Trump’s Climate Denialism
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/12/climate/trump-trees-climate-change.html

Somehow, sucking up to Jared Kushner is something we're supposed to celebrate as a liberal win? While repeatedly acknowledging that none of what's being talked about has any proof of making substantive improvements to climate change?

And people wonder why liberal leaders aren't trusted.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Discendo Vox posted:

It's strategic, to shield their assets from court claims.

Oh, the WR Grace technique! :v:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Almost every time I start a book or a podcast about someone who's done something society thinks is bonkers, like a public assassination or a serial killing spree, or some other thing society thinks is bonkers--pants crazy...if you look at their history, there's some kind of severe head injury.

Like, I'm listening to a podcast doing a deep dive into Sirhan Sirhan and why he assassinated RFK, and two or three episodes in it's like, "Oh, and also, he wanted to be a jockey, until he got tossed off his horse in a race and suffered a severe head injury. Then he went and flailed at life for a while and a bunch of funky poo poo was excused until OMG he killed a presidential candidate and we don't know why!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Otteration posted:

Orlando Airport Chili's asks servers to come in and clean, then fires them
orlandoweekly.com/Mar 20, 2020
"Update, March 21 | Readers and workers at the Chili's location have noted the restaurant is operated by franchisee HMS Host, not the parent company of Chili's Grill & Bar, Brinker International, which owns and franchises the brand. So don't get mad at Chili's corporate, just the people licensed to run this restaurant under their name.

Worse, the workers were called in and asked to disinfect and clean the entire restaurant, before being individually taken aside and terminated, according to News 13, which interviewed the workers."

Ugh. My company hires contractors for various functions, like provisioning laptops. Since we're based in San Francisco, one of those teams has been on notice to be prepped to work from home for a while. Corporate sent out emails right way making sure we knew all personnel, even contractors, would be able to get paid without risking their lives on public transit or being downtown.

Next thing I know, my phone's getting blown up by contractors who have been told by their manager (who is at the contracting agency, not our side) that they have to go in. Like...we turned off their loving badges last week. THEY CAN'T GO IN. THEY RISK GETTING FINED IF THEY TRY. But if they don't go in, they don't get paid, says their manager :v:

I can't go into more detail than that, but this whole thing is an unbelievable fuckshow. I'm not even a manager, I'm just someone the lower level employees trust because I'm not an rear end in a top hat to them :smith: