Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

eke out posted:

Seems like it would be difficult to me, local courts aren't exactly trying to stop people from paying them their pound of flesh.

I did some more looking and it's actually much more questionable than has been suggested whether court fees that're not part of a sentence are even included: the ACLU says they'll be suing if it's implemented like that, as the Amendment ONLY reads "upon completion of all terms of sentence including parole or probation."

I hope that suit is successful. Charging fees to reinstate voting rights is basically poll tax, but because the 14th still doesn't cover felons it seems plausible that a conservative court would rule that Harper v Virginia doesn't apply and defer to the state. With a sane court, we might have finally gotten a ruling prohibiting disenfranchisement after time served/parole, but I certainly don't trust the current court to do that.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

It is truly alarming how many places elect full Democratic legislatures and executives who proceed to twiddle their thumbs and do precisely nothing. See also Illinois' new governor abandoning his plans to try and fix Illinois' lovely tax system immediately after winning election.

A lot of states (including Illinois) have well and truly hosed themselves by putting austerity into their constitutions. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be pushing more for these things, but I have some sympathy because problems go deeper than just false promises and some of the necessary margins are absolutely ludicrous.

E: Focusing on "balancing the budget" instead is absolute bullshit, though - absolutely agreed. Doubly so when taxes are WHAT IS REQUIRED to balance the budget (I'm looking at you, Alaska).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

illinois does genuinely have a serious budget problem, due to the fact that the state refused to pay into pension funds for sixty years straight. the solution is to get rid of our state constitutional amendment saying "no progressive taxation." JB Pritzger, billionaire, has zero interest in fixing this problem in the only way he can, because that means the solution will come out of him and his friends' pockets.

the alternate, conservative solution to this problem is to tell pensionholders they get to eat poo poo and will get nothing.

unsurprisingly this is quite popular with JB Pritzger, Non-Pension-Haver.

Are there any legal pathways to hold state governments to pension promises? Or is precedent simply "you're hosed if the state decides to change the rules"?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That's huge. If Scott secretly allowed email/fax voting in Republican-margin districts under the auspices of helping hurricane victims but didn't allow email/fax voting statewide, that's an unprecedented level of structural partisan favoritism (well, unprecedented since the VRA).

Chilichimp posted:

It will never be considered by the Senate.

My guess is Mitch McConnell never even acknowledges the house passed a single piece of legislation outside of bills to fund the government, because it would hurt Republicans to appear to be the reason for a shutdown.

Hey, they might pass it...

... after stripping out all the text and replacing it with tax cuts and an ACA repeal. Hey Democrats, why are you voting against your own bill?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

axeil posted:

The big question is how many of these e-mail votes did they count? A few hundred probably won't change much.

It's also astounding that they allowed it considering vote by e-mail is specifically banned by Florida law. That only one county was allowed it makes any lawsuit against it easy to win too.

The Today video is down but going by the WJHG video, it sounds you're right - it was probably just a couple of hundred votes. The SoS is claiming that they forbade the local election official from offering email voting, so it doesn't matter too much for the election in general, but those voters were screwed by the local election official and he should probably face legal consequences and communications with the SoS should be subpoenaed if there are records.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

gently caress this lovely country and its trigger happy cops.

Also guns, and the "good guy with a gun" attitude. Cops shooting civilians or victims with guns is not that uncommon, and assuredly is more likely to happen to minorities.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The judiciary is killing it this cycle!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm not much of an artist and not exactly the tone you were going for, but

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 13, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

quote:

It is a central tenet of politics that you can have money or power, but not the two at the same time.

Since when? I'm guessing they're using different definitions of "money" and "power"...

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

luxury handset posted:

since trump doesn't seem to know how voting works in the us, can we read this as confirmation that trump doesn't vote?

You'd think, but sadly apparently not.

:psyduck: The little poo poo really wants to go to prison, doesn't he?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

A lot of reporters were saying this is not true, and if it was reporters would have noted it in their stories because most of them know Lindsay Walters.

Which part? She lists her title as "White House Deputy Press Secretary" and she's listed in the Annual Report to Congress on White House Personnel as having a salary of $115,000. That's not $130,000, but it's not far enough off that I'd call it "not true" - heck, maybe there's some unlisted bonus to put it at $130K? She also received her BA in 2012, which means she's probably somewhere in the 28-30 range - young, but old enough to make the "young intern" moniker misleading.

E: Oh, the "she's Lindsey Walters", part. That's embarrassing :eng99: And almost certainly not true: Acosta video, Lindsey Walters.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 15, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

MickeyFinn posted:

Not only is the Bart Simpson gag spot on, but when driving a truck over the road it is extra hard to save money because none of the things that assist you in saving money (like having a bunch of space to store food prep equipment and bulk food stuffs) are possible. I'm not sure it is possible for that tweet to be wrong.

You'll also need all those (not) millions to deal with the huge variety of medical problems caused by long-term truck driving.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

eke out posted:

the craziest thing about this is there's not even any indication Trump and co. are administering it in a particularly bad way, it's just a legitimately poo poo, opaque program

this is from one of the linked articles

it loving sucks

I don't necessarily disagree, but the correct way to administer a program like that is extremely leniently until such time as it can be fixed (see also, immigration).

Republicans (and Blue Dogs) constantly put this kind of poo poo into administrative rules, and the only good way around it in the short term is to ignore it as much as possible.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Retro42 posted:

This is the thing. There are really large parts of the state with people scattered in small towns all over the place. Wisconsin is mostly small towns that will always skew Republican. Case in point:
Grothman WI-6.
https://grothman.house.gov/district/interactivemap.htm
He won by 11.

I mean, it's not an impossible fix - mandate some limit for population inequality in state assembly/senate districts and then meet that mandate by either putting suburbs together with rural districts or increasing the size of the assembly/senate until you don't have to. Like you say, it doesn't necessarily fix everything if some types of districts are more politically homogeneous than others, but it goes a long way towards fixing a system where a 10 point popular vote win turns into a 30 loving point loss in the assembly and a 10 point loss in the Senate.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 6, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Or maybe they are, in the sense that they're telling her "don't defect or Putin will have you killed".

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I always take home leftovers from conferences :black101:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Libertarians finally going to win a state?

EDIT: Actually, this is not too surprising. Add up Clinton's vote and McMullin's and it was 49%. Trump only got 45.54%
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1090950324523802625

No, they're going to put a Mormon on the ballot, just like they did in 2016. And the Mormon won't win, because there's still plenty of horrible people who'd rather see the country burn than elect a Democrat (not to say that the Mormon candidate won't be terrible as well).

E: Oh, you saw that!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 31, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

“The nightmare scenario is that somebody decides to be a lone wolf and pulls something like what happened in Charlottesville,” says member of group that is one person deciding to be a lone wolf and pulling something shy of being an armed riot.

:rolleyes:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

The article literally has a picture of a banner reading death to the kkk. It describes the dudes with guns as "left wing militia". They are literally wearing masks and burning effigies. That's a crowd working itself up to go after "the other guy" and it wouldn't have taken much for stuff to get ugly.

The nazis in question had already had their permit declined and canned their rally when people the knew in the police said they'd get arrested if they showed up. So yeah, can't even call it an effective deterrent because the law already was one.

It’s a “left wing militia” because no one else is willing to shut down the growing movement advocating genocide against poc, immigrants, lgbt, Muslims, etc.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, there's the issue of racism and blackface and Northam's unquestionably terrible handling of this and clear inability to get what's wrong. Then there's the bigger issue of why blackface was apparently so accepted so recently in Virginia and what that says about Virginia race relations today. Then there's the real world political consequences of possibly giving the Governorship over to Republicans while important issues are on the table. Its obviously a complicated matter for many.

And then there's like this less partisan question of how "right" it is to allow 3 levels of elected members of one party to be taken down by a pr campaign from the opposition party and then giving a member of that party become the new governor. Especially when the Speakership was decided by a coin toss. I'm not sure what the hell that is but its definitely not a representative government.

Giving the governorship to Republicans isn't an issue (or at least not a direct one). The governor can unilaterally fill elected vacancies, and appointments are good through the next general election. So long as Fairfax resigns first, Northam can appoint a new LG, who'd then become governor when Northam steps down and hold the position until the general election late this year. Since Northam won by 8 points, I'm not too worried about a new election.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I was just going to ask about this, couldn't they just resign in reverse order so they appoint a new AG, when the AG resigns, then Fairfax resigns and they appoint another AG and then Nirtham resigns and they appoint a third AG, assuming that AGs get promoted when a vacancy opens.

The governor fills vacancies for elected offices (including AG) unless the office is elected by the general assembly:

Virginia Constitution, Article V Section 7 posted:

The Governor shall have power to fill vacancies in all offices of the Commonwealth for the filling of which the Constitution and laws make no other provision. If such office be one filled by the election of the people, the appointee shall hold office until the next general election, and thereafter until his successor qualifies, according to law. The General Assembly shall, if it is in session, fill vacancies in all offices which are filled by election by that body.

They'll only hold the seat until the next general election, so until November in this case.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Relentless posted:

Also, from the party of "fiscal responsibility", that 1.7 billion would alternatively provide 25k in screening, assistance, rehoming, education, job training, etc, for 70k migrants a year.

The super scary migrant caravan was between 5 and 7k people.

There would be a huge economic boost from that, but it wouldn't be going to their buddies in the prison industrial complex, so we're not going to do it.

(Yes, I know it's not that simple, but 55 miles of wall isn't going to stop anywhere near 70k immigrants.)

But it might help kill more of them :(

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Your Parents posted:

It's actually sickening watching people beg and plead and wish that Jussie Smollet was actually beaten by white racists instead of making up a story. You'd think people would be happy when a hate crime didn't actually happen instead of braying and screaming for black blood.

Spicy. Given that violent attacks on LBGT people (especially minorities) are real and increasing, maybe people just don't relish any incident that moves the American public further from "believe the victim because they're telling the truth 99.9% of the time", making the problem harder to address.

But no, you found us out, we all just lust for hate crimes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Well now I need to know about this one. Is it recuperative therapy for good girls/boys?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Animal healthcare - compassion or tool of the bourgeoisie?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sinteres posted:

I don't have a great answer to that, but this isn't the first time the broad left side of the spectrum has gone all in on a hoax, and every time it happens that itself does a lot to make it harder for future victims to be believed. I think giving credible victims the benefit of the doubt to some extent is good, but obviously people are going to draw the line on who does and doesn't seem credible differently, and on what the evidence at hand (generally limited at first) suggests that may conflict with that narrative, and a healthy discussion allows for some difference in opinion on that without the assumption of bad faith.

So what? Until fake rapes/attacks/whatever become more common than people dismissing real assaults, that’s just the the price we pay for centuries of loving over victims. There might be some “healthy debate” to be had, but early skepticism (or even aloof "reserving judgement") of victim's claims by bystanders is not healthy.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 22, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

awesmoe posted:

she does very little analysis in the her nyt work, it's generally very well-sourced reporting of white house machinations. People here despise her because it's straight reporting and her work doesnt make a point of specifically saying "oh by the way, all this poo poo is awful and these people are telling me this stuff to stab each other in the back"

In a world where nearly every word out of the president's mouth is a lie, "non-analytical" reporting is biased reporting. And that's not even getting into the selection biases involved in what gets printed where and how it's presented. Most of the major outlets have fallen deep into the "Red said / Blue said" reporting hole, and it's not doing journalism (or the public) any favors.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If big rigs were PoC that’s exactly what we’d have.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You can’t post that without this gem!

https://twitter.com/josephmenn/status/1106578733975007232

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

LordSloth posted:

https://twitter.com/newsminer/status/1116816277937455104?s=21

Here’s one Republican managing to have the correct reaction to an incident.

And no, it’s not THAT North Pole.

Tammie Wilson is a terrible person - when she's more sane than you it's time to fire the whole drat school administration. FNSB schools have gone to complete poo poo over the past 10 years (and Alaska in general).

E: Her suspension is now an expulsion.

https://twitter.com/savannahmoisan/status/1116817585389989890

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 14, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://twitter.com/caillemillner/status/1117138294775529472
There's no way the math can work on this, can it?

If you assume $90 tickets ($100 minus some discount/mileage) and 200 work days per year then it comes out to $1,500 per month for the commute over just commuting in the Bay area. Of course, the more important part is that the flight from Arizona is two hours each way. Add in the commutes to and from the airports + time in the airport and your easily looking at 5-6 hours of commuting in order to save $1,500 per month (plus increasing your cancer risk with daily high-altitude flying).

Going by average rent cost in the bay area ($3,600) vs. Phoenix ($1,100), the math probably saves you ~$10,000 a year for equal-quality housing, but I can't imagine the sort of insane person who would commute 5-6 hours 4 days a week to save $10,000 over just renting a shittier place or working a second part-time job (or moving someplace else, since they obviously don't have a problem not living in the Bay area).

E: Just notice the "family" part... yikes!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 15, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Mekchu posted:

https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/1117906615716331520

This could be good? Not likely to result in anything but hey, at least it's something.

Why would he choose that wardrobe and hair style/color? :psyduck:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

So here's something that happened in one of the more liberal towns in Alaska in April (with similar harassment apparently going back a few years):

Restaurant vandalized with racist threats

quote:

Wasabi’s Bistro just outside of Homer was vandalized with a racist message sometime between Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

Orange spray paint was used to write “Leve (sic) our town,” “God will judg (sic) all nigers (sic),” and “Go back to Affrica (sic)” on the outside wall of the building near the main entrance. On a separate wall, the words “Trump 2020” were written in the same orange spray paint.

Owner Colt Belmonte was there at Wasabi’s late Thursday morning getting ready to paint over the racist messages. Belmonte, who is white, owns the business with his wife Dali Frazier, who is black. They also owned the Alibi Bar and Cafe for five years before it was bought by their son, Nelton Palma.

As Belmonte pried open a can of blue paint, he said incidents like the racist vandalism are hurtful, but not at all surprising anymore. He pointed to a hole in the same wall made by a gunshot a few years ago, saying the bullet is still in there. He described how vandals also slashed the tires on his family vehicle a few years ago.

“It’s saddening,” he said of the ongoing racist attacks against the family. “In this day and age?”

“I hate to make it political, but obviously it is,” he continued, gesturing to the “Trump 2020” spray paint on the other wall.

Asked whether incidents like this make Belmonte and his family question remaining in Homer, he said he and his wife “are done.”

“We don’t want to be here anymore,” he said.

Since this happened, the (decent half of the) community has stepped up support, but this poo poo is loving disgusting. Throw it on the pile for whenever some shithead tries to argue that Trump doesn't incite racism.

E: The comments are all Smollet :thermidor:

E2: This is the same split town that made the news when the conservative half of the city council tried to recall the liberal half for making a non-binding resolution opposing intolerance, and then the loving Lower Kenai Peninsula elected the shitbird leading the initiative to the state house.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 21, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I mean, "the Internet grew up free from government regulation and we're restoring the status quo" is just a straight-up lie, too. It was a lie when that rear end in a top hat Ajit said it, and it's just as wrong today.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The taxi industry is broken and exploitative as hell. The simple fact of competing with taxis isn’t Uber/Lyft drivers’ main problem.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Don’t forget that the male-only draft is currently unconstitutional, though I’m sure those SCOTUS shitheads would take it up real quick if Trump decided to gently caress that particular horse.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Maybe it’s just me, but dragging Warren for refusing to go on Fox just makes the author look like a loving idiot. I’m failing to see how it’ll make Warren supporters suddenly turn Sanders.

In general, dragging your allies is a generally lovely way to turn their supporters, especially in a system that’s based around candidates dropping out to consolidate votes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I went looking for the 25% number and found this article saying it's more like 12% after people had time to cool down a little.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/109957/obama-gains-among-former-clinton-supporters.aspx

I also found this article in the same Google search: https://www.npr.org/2017/08/24/545812242/1-in-10-sanders-primary-voters-ended-up-supporting-trump-survey-finds

Maybe it's time to look at 2020 and stop wallowing in 2016.

Now I’m really curious how many people votes for Clinton in the 2016 primary and Trump in the general. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if it was also close to 10%.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

paternity suitor posted:

It feels possible to beat Mitch in 2020. His unfavorables are always dogshit but they are like 10 points lower than 2014, and this year he’s in a presidential year with a super unpopular POTUS. He’s more visible than ever and super hated, so I don’t know. I crave polls in a heads up matchup

It might be possible, but I don't think Trump is going to hurt him when Kentucky currently has +16 Trump approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

"We have no position" says group tacitly approving of law that promotes the rights of rapists.

Holstein is a piece of poo poo MRA whose "advocacy" group leans on a nonsensical "syndrome" to argue that shared custody should be the default even in cases of domestic or child abuse (mostly arguing that they're "overblown" or "invented" to strip men of parental rights). It's no surprise that his "Parents" organization (renamed from "Fathers and Families") wants to downplay rape.