Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Avalerion posted:

Reminds me of how bugs get thrown around as the food of the future when meat runs out or gets too expensive a lot. What I always thought was dumb is how eating bugs is always presented as that - eating bugs, like someone taking a bite of a scorpion or a handful of ants, of course people will be turned off by that. Why not ground them up into flour, or like a hamburger patty first - anything to make it not look like I'm eating bugs.

Or just eat legumes. Seriously, this is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

incredible flesh posted:

i'm going to set my own rear end on fire

Have some chutney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEBLMJeVNVU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

That chart doesn't look good at all, however the one encouragement I can give people is climate change is very much an almost daily news article now. It's an issue that is happening right now, the effects are noticeable, and it is becoming impossible to just deny it. Governments and corporations may not give a poo poo, but people will and it is up to us to hold them accountable.

A sign of encouragement, a major US utility just announced they will aim to be 80% carbon free by 2030

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/12/5/18126920/xcel-energy-100-percent-clean-carbon-free

Like Paris? Hmm....

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This is a piss poor post that took almost no thought or nerve connectivity to make, but I'll respond.

I would like to think there is a difference between a pledge from a national government, and a pledge from a private entity with actual trends to back it up.

As the article points out, renewable are becoming cheaper, cheaper than natural gas in some cases. Also people are becoming more and more comfortable with wanting renewable solutions.

Does this mean the company will make their stated goals? Maybe, maybe not. But we should take any all pledges as positives, however it IS up to us, the voters, the consumers to hold these organizations and utilities accountable.

Let me try to make the argument here.

Climate Change Inaction is a good example of the "Tragedy of the Commons." People will make long-term poor decisions for short-term gains. In the case of the Paris Riots, climate change is a lesser concern to the protesters than paying more for diesel fuel.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

jeeves posted:

America's current waning empire utopia (for the rich) was built on the back of externalizing toxicness to other countries or places no one cares about, either via China manufacturing or making money killing local factories and wages by exporting said manufacturing to China.

I'm incredibly surprised that we haven't just externalized nuclear power to places no one cares about-- oh wait that would mean giving more nuclear power plants to China and asking nicely for them to sell us power nevermind. Also, that's not as cheap as it is for the rich to just dig up coal and burn it, so okay nevermind.

Also also red states can say "COAL JOBS! NUKLER BAD" and gain votes while still giving unlimited funding to putting depleted uranium on every bullet in the military, so :shrug:

Kinda hard to string transmission lines halfway around the planet.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Any thorium-watchers? Iirc, we're not far off. Thorium reactors should make nuclear more palatable.

(Different fuel with different reactor designs. Less waste, safer, cheaper.)

Maybe true, but the lead times make this a non-starter for now.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

No Mr. Bond, I expect you to Drive.

Aston Martin is offering to retrofit classics to electric because cities are talking about banning combustion vehicles (particularly old ones that put out a lot of pollution).

The British automaker announced this week that it’s starting a “Heritage EV” program where owners of classic Aston Martins can have their cars converted to an all-electric powertrain.

Aston Martin’s starting this program for a very specific reason. Cities around the world, but especially in Europe, have begun to shun internal combustion engines in favor of boosting air quality for residents.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/6/18129618/aston-martin-heritage-ev-electric-cars-city-ban

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I know this is small potatoes but I was looking for a charity to donate to. Not just straight up but also to switch my Amazon Smile charity too. Has anyone had experience with Cool Earth? Sounds like they take the money and just buy up rainforests in places like Brazil so that it fucks up the market for them and keeps it out of the hands of loggers. But was curious if there was a better one. Just realized I spend enough through Amazon that it accounts for like $100 a year which isn't bad I guess.

350.org is what I did my FB birthday charity thing to.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

This is so well put:

Climate-change deniers are a danger to our security

Imagine during the Cold War that one political party, in the face of overwhelming evidence that the Soviet Union was engaged in espionage against the United States, had a nuclear arsenal pointed at the United States, kept Eastern Europe under its thumb and imprisoned dissenters, refused to consider the Soviet Union a danger — of any sort — to the United States or other Western democracies. And they would offer no credible evidence to the contrary, but rather assert that it was all a hoax.

That is essentially what is going on, only with the parties flipped, in the climate-change debate. Climate-change denial has become as necessary to one’s right-wing identity as aversion to immigration, opposition to most abortions and a disbelief that sexual harassment and assault are widespread. Just as rejecting geopolitical reality became a requirement of inclusion in far-left circles, climate-change denial is a must for those who want to remain in the Trump fold.

More at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2018/12/18/climate-change-deniers-are-danger-our-security/

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

what the fuuuuuuuuuuck man, this post has like 3 - 5 layers of stupid reactionary horseshit buried in it I can't even figure out where to start.

1.) that party during the cold war would have been right
2.) "both sides"ism of saying the left rejects "reality" is just being conservative/right-wing rear end in a top hat. you may not feel thats who you are, but its who you're being when you do that.
3.) they somehow manage to get" that it's a totally irrational decision based around tribal identity and yet then also somehow conclude that a logical framing hack will defeat that and cause them to ... become rational?

that whole loving take is like is like a triple reverse axel stunt move of stupid ideology

I don't think that was the purpose of the piece. It was saying "Imagine Republican if someone had said this about the Soviets during the cold war." It's not saying that anyone on the left (ok maybe Gus Hall) said that about the Soviets.

Personally, we were better off with the Soviets around. Even with the "duck and cover" stuff.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

funkatron3000 posted:

I asked a few pages back about legit carbon offsets / sequestering / etc but got nada. I'm just curious what other people are voluntarily doing to offset their footprint past reducing? Even if you drive an EV, if your power is from natural gas you're still up the creek. I found companies offering "offsets", but the price seems to good to be true... then there's people working on sequestering carbon, but it's "not economically viable" yet. Viable or not, is there a legit price point to remove X tons of CO2 or is that just really not a thing yet?

EV's being charged by natural gas power plants, while not ideal, will reduce the carbon output compared to most conventional automobiles.

A plug-in recharged by a natural gas-powered plant is like driving a car that gets 58 miles per gallon.

Here's a chart that gives you effective mpg by state:

From: https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/electric-vehicles/life-cycle-ev-emissions#.XCP9mC2ZPrI

Even better reduce one's driving altogether. My work-week is car-free, bike and trains.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Kunabomber posted:

Well guys, I'm back on regular ol' gasoline based on what I read here. MPG is up, and I'm saving money to buy an EV in the near future.

I live in Texas so it's probably equivalent to having a coal-fired car, but hey

Texas isn't that bad because there is a decent amount of wind energy. There are some towns with zero cost electricity at night too.

https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/electric-vehicles/life-cycle-ev-emissions#.XC1P4C2ZOks

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

This Ars Technica article is basically just another take on that NYT article posted on the last page, but:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/01/natural-gas-is-now-getting-in-the-way-us-carbon-emissions-increase-by-3-4/

That specifically is worth pointing out, because it's something that's been discussed in this thread for the past couple of years. Natural gas is the enemy. It's probably more of an enemy than coal, because coal is already dying thanks to market forces (such as cheap natural gas!). It's also worth looking at specifically because it highlights the problem with drawing down capacity in one fossil fuel and replacing it with another, slightly less bad one. There's just no way we can get even close to the targets we need to meet by doing this, and the new capacity that resulted in 2018's increase won't be going away for decades.

There's just so much to unpack here, including a super obvious and visible demonstration of why market solutions are useless.

It's also unclear how much methane is being leaked at fracking sites. It may make natural gas as bad as or worse than coal.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I'm a former video game exec who took a job as the head of research for a company building a health-related product. Lucky to find anything at my age.

I work in LA, live in Carlsbad and spend most of the week in LA with only my folding bike as transportation (train to get to the city). Also, haven't eaten meat or dairy in decades (dropped well over 100lbs in '96).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

dream9!bed!! posted:

You take the Coaster to the Metrolink every day? How long does that take you?

No. I take Amtrak to the Red Line at the start of the week, returning at the end, and use my folding bike (yes, even today in the big rain storm) during the week to get around.

Ventura Blvd. is an "interesting" road to bike on.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

As much as personal vehicle use needs to be curbed I totally understand and support the yellow vest protests in Paris. The gas tax is regressive as gently caress and nobody should have to tolerate the ruling class placing all the burden on the proles, it's complete bullshit.

Imagine being stuck on a plane with its engines out that isn't going to manage to glide to safety and the rich assholes in first class are demanding the people in coach toss their pennies out the windows while clinging to bricks of gold.

gently caress that I'd tell them "you first" and stare em down until either they tossed their poo poo or we augered in.

There was also a reduction in the highest marginal tax rates that went along with the gas tax.

So you're right.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Record Numbers of Americans Say They Care About Global Warming, Poll Finds
“I’ve never seen jumps in some of the key indicators like this,” the lead researcher said.

A record number of Americans understand that climate change is real, according to a new survey, and they are increasingly worried about its effects in their lives today.

Some 73 percent of Americans polled late last year said that global warming was happening, the report found, a jump of 10 percentage points from 2015 and three points since last March.

The rise in the number of Americans who say global warming is personally important to them was even sharper, jumping nine percentage points since March to 72 percent, another record over the past decade.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Personally, I've made major lifestyle changes, beginning in the 1980's. Not all at once, but by the late 1990's.

1. No meat or dairy, and since 2008 no fish.

2. Use a bicycle + subway + Amtrak as my main transportation to/from work (I work part of the week in LA, live in San Diego County) and errands.

3. Donate as much as I can to get people elected who will do something about this issue, notable victory was getting an environmentalist elected to replace Issa in Congress.

4. Work to get better cycling infrastructure. North San Diego County is pretty good. Los Angeles "The Valley" is majorly bad. I rarely see anyone else bike commuting.

5. Have carefully maintained a 40mpg car for almost 20 years, so I don't incur the environmental impact of having a replacement built. When that happens, it will be an EV ... possibly a conversion of an old car for the same reason.

BUT I won't consider hope unless we address the denial industry.

1. Tobacco-Industry like settlements with Exxon and their ilk, who knew about the problem and choose to spend $$$ on climate-denying shills.

2. Criminal penalities for "environmental fraud." For example 'scientists' on the payroll of bullshit think-tanks funded by energy interests.

Doesn't mean we are going to survive, but I'd really like to see the people who made this possible pay for their crimes against the planet.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Insanite posted:

Now do the one that shows Americans' willingness to give up beef.

Or the willingness of US Environmental groups to even broach the subject.

I don't see the mailings from Greenpeace or The Sierra Club talking about this.

Union of Concerned Scientists? Yes. They do.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Helsing posted:

Somebody with a long list of posts in the games forum has now arrived to announce that hedonism is immoral

:allears:

Want some rye?

But seriously when I was a AAA Game Exec I was a ginormous fatbeast. Change is good.

Oh, and I left that position (VP) at one of the largest game companies in the world, to try and work on improving education. Which is why I'm not rich.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Helsing posted:

I was making fun of Oxxidation, who mostly posts in the anime and games forum, trying to argue that pleasure and self care (please shower Oxxidation, for your mom's sake if not your own) are immoral.

You see I thought you were talking about me, the guy who was in the game business for 35 years.

Thanks for the correction.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Zophar posted:

People will absolutely drop beef if the price of its emissions footprint was passed on to them. I cut it pretty much entirely out of my diet due to both health and environment concerns and I balk at the idea of adding what I used to spend on red meat back into my budget. People might love meat but especially in the US people buy groceries based on what their wallets allow, and meat happens to meet a lot of nutritional demands for cheap. People rarely go out for Big Macs because they love it.

I think the talking point that the overwhelming majority of emissions comes from a handful of corporations broke some brains, because while it's true it creates the impression that change is impossible at an individual level because they are too big for us to fight. But what also gets flattened out by the talking point is that those corporations are creating products for consumption and that consumption is still done at an individual level. I'm certain market solutions aren't enough but it's also short-sighted to suggest that they will solve *nothing*.

A pound of cooked black beans, organic no-less, runs about $1. So beef is already pricy in comparison.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

enki42 posted:

I don't think there needs to be a giant re-education campaign to let people know that meats other than beef exist.

*Maybe* you'd have a point if we were talking about all meats, but any tax that tries to price in carbon to meat prices is going to affect beef way more than any other meat. And one thing where individual action *is* effective is that it paves the way for mass adoption of greener practices. It's not hard to find vegetarian recipes if you seek them out.

I guess:

If you had them running around eating bugs.

Not a fan myself.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

davebo posted:

Could someone just make an all-chicken fast food place that doesn't hate gays? It'd be a start.

It's sad because they have a rep for treating their employees better than most fast food places.

I haven't had chicken in over a decade, so no clue as to where to go.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I spent some time this weekend at a facility in Encinitas CA that was demonstrating and promoting agroforestry.

Agroforestry is the interaction of agriculture and trees, including the agricultural use of trees. This includes trees on farms and in agricultural landscapes, farming in forests and along forest margins and tree-crop production, including cocoa, coffee, rubber and oil palm. Interactions between trees and other components of agriculture may be important at a range of scales: in fields (where trees and crops are grown together), on farms (where trees may provide fodder for livestock, fuel, food, shelter or income from products including timber) and landscapes (where agricultural and forest land uses combine in determining the provision of ecosystem services).

http://www.worldagroforestry.org/about/agroforestry

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Hexigrammus posted:

Thanks for that link.

As a zoologist I've been aware of climate change for a long time but haven't paid much attention to the details. Over the last few months I've had time to review literature in climatology, geology, and other fields outside my own and it's left me demoralized and depressed. I figured it was going to get bad over the next few decades, I didn't realize how turbofucked we are now, at this moment. However pointless it is though I'm going to keep fighting, making changes for myself, my family, and whatever part of society I can influence.

I'm fortunate enough through age and opportunity to own a couple of wooded hectares on Vancouver Island. Over the last four years we've had extended summer droughts and intermittent winter monsoon rains that run off instead of thoroughly saturating the forest soil. Around the Salish Sea there's been extensive die-off of shallow-rooted balsam fir and the iconic west coast red cedar, mainstay of traditional indigenous cultures. Removing all the dead trees on our lot before the next fire season has been keeping me busy. It's depressing work; red cedar is one of my favourite trees and turning the forest into something "park-like" just reminds me of all the wildlife I've encountered in and around those cedars.

I've considered re-planting the cedars but our aquifer might not be reliable enough to get them through the summers. I'll probably try planting more food producing trees. Coulter pines look like they might be a good fit for some of the slightly more exposed rocky slopes. Their pine nuts are probably going to end up as part of a squirrel enhancement project rather than feeding us.

It's a bit of a challenge trying to match trees with existing site conditions and whatever comes down the pipe climatically over the tree's expected life span. Interesting times. I'm beginning to wonder if we need to change our attitude towards "alien invasive species", quit fighting them and see what works. (But not poplars. gently caress poplars. Himalayan Giant blackberries otoh rule.)

The garden however is doing well and producing enough to feed the two of us and others over the year. I installed drip irrigation several years ago - plastic pipe bad, decreased water and electricity use good. It's nice not to have to give a crap about the price or availability of broccoli and cauliflower during the winter.

Once I get through this grief I intend to get angy. Very, very angry.

Also: #FreeRime

The Agroforest I visited is in a place that might get 6 inches of rain a year. Part of the reason for this is to create microclimates under the trees and use ground cover to prevent loss by evaporation.

More on this: https://coastalrootsfarm.org/everything-you-need-to-know-about-food-forests/

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 24, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

I’m more and more of the opinion that nuclear aviation is what doomed the US nuclear industry to its current stagnant status.

If you look back at the history of nuclear power you see that right as funding was peaking and right and the academic base was broadest for nuclear engineering we decide to spend a generation’s worth of research on nuclear aviation. We spent billions on it from the 40s-60s and got very little in return. If that money had been spent towards civil power development instead it seems reasonable to assume we might have an industry today that isn’t in a bit of a death spiral.

Do visit the testbed aviation reactors out in Idaho, they’re pretty incredible engineering artifacts.

The sensible approach would be to have nuke reactors on the ground creating hydrogen from water and then combining the hydrogen with extracted carbon and/or nitrogen from the atmosphere to make fuels for jet engines.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Phys.org: State-of-the-art climate model shows how we can solve crisis

... after two years of research and modelling, scientists have come up with a groundbreaking new framework for achieving – and even beating – the target of limiting warming to 1.5°C.
The research by leading scientists at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS), the German Aerospace Center and the University of Melbourne, has been funded by the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation (LDF) as part of its new One Earth initiative.

Welcoming the framework, LDF founder Leonardo DiCaprio says: "With the pace of urgent climate warnings now increasing, it's clear that our planet cannot wait for meaningful action. This ambitious and necessary pathway shows that a transition to 100% renewable energy and strong measures to protect and restore our natural ecosystems, taken together, can deliver a more stable climate within a single generation."

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Special Report warned last October that the planet must be kept below the dangerous temperature rise of 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels if we are to avoid a worsening of the climate-related impacts we are now seeing at 1°C. The 2016 Paris Climate Change Agreement set a target of keeping warming below 1.5°C.

This new research has produced the most detailed energy model to date – and the first to achieve negative emissions through natural climate solutions. Its proposed transition to 100% renewables by mid-century, along with steps such as reforestation, would not only have benefits for the climate but would also create millions of permanent jobs. The researchers say this could be achieved at about a quarter of the cost of current subsidies for fossil fuels.

The research models 72 regional energy grids in hourly increments through 2050 and includes a comprehensive assessment of available renewable resources such as wind and solar, along with configurations for meeting projected energy demand and storage most efficiently for all sectors over the next 30 years.

"Scientists cannot fully predict the future, but advanced modelling allows us to map out the best scenarios for creating a global energy system fit for the 21st century," lead author Dr. Sven Teske, Research Director at UTS's Institute for Sustainable Futures says. "With momentum around the Paris Agreement lagging, it's crucial that decision-makers around the world can see that we can, in fact, meet global energy demand at a lower cost with clean renewables."

-------

Yeah, but will we?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Insanite posted:

I wish these folks the best, but holy hell is it depressing that we still have articles like this running in 2019: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/01/27/climate-change-politics-224295

Convincing people who believe in powerful sky fairies that climate change is real and caused by human activity sounds like an exercise in futility.

They are a minority and we need to focus on obtaining political power.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Strong possibility of climate denying nonsense spewing out of Congress and the White House.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Yep.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

I'm switching to vegetarian just by mostly avoiding meat but not being completely militant about it. I've been doing lots of greens, cheese, nuts, yogurt. For work stuff i'm hella lazy so alot of amy's and trader joes meals. Obviously prepackaged stuff is a bad thing due to garbage produced and i'd like to work away from that but baby steps. I told a friend I was pushing towards vegetarian purely because of climate change and it was cool to watch her work through it and agree that it is a good idea.

Good start. Dairy has its own issues (Casein etc. is a tumor promoter) so consider alternatives.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

That's a tough one. Cheese is really filling and satisfying and its hard to find something else with that density. Eggs really bother my stomach. Cheese is also incredibly convenient. Is all cheese casein heavy or is it just a cow thing? I love goat cheese and buy it whenever i have the choice.

Also broccoli is the bomb but broccoli farts all night are not. But hilarious for chasing your spouse outa bed.

Cheese is the food I miss more than any other.

The cashew-based cheeses are approaching the quality of decent European sourced cheeses but wow, they are expensive.

Daiya's meltable vegan cheese is decent and makes pizza work, but lately I've just been skipping that to reduce calories.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

That's a tough one. Cheese is really filling and satisfying and its hard to find something else with that density. Eggs really bother my stomach. Cheese is also incredibly convenient. Is all cheese casein heavy or is it just a cow thing? I love goat cheese and buy it whenever i have the choice.

Also broccoli is the bomb but broccoli farts all night are not. But hilarious for chasing your spouse outa bed.

Decades of this have adapted my system to eating beans and stuff like broccoli without excess gas. On the other hand, oily food will trigger reflux almost every time.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

80% of Los Angeles is now a short bike ride from a Metro Train.

I work here for 3 days a week and I don't have a car when I do that.

Driving here is so awful, just expanding transit will get people to use it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Btw the London congestion charge again actually contributed little to public transit, I much rather see some type of progressive fee/tax than a flat fee. Also, the London public transportation system while okay(ish), is actually quite expensive for average people, the underground itself is a bit obscene.

You can push more poor drivers onto buses but it doesn't intrinsically fix the issue compared to actually spending some real money.

Los Angeles deserves credit for having a program for lower income people to get reduced fares as well as a generous discount for seniors.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's not even feasible to discourage driving how the us is laid out, rural or urban wise

it's a loving rat maze half-designed to genuinely be unwalkable and need a car

In LA you now have a decent mass transit system for most of the population. NYC too of course.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Ardennes posted:

I would say LA has years if not decades away from really being comparable to other international cities, especially since it is still mostly reliant bus routes on already saturated streets.

NYC could be doing much better than it is but it is obvious the subway is being suffocated by Albany.

80% of LA's population is now close to a Metro train station.

Yes, it's poo poo compared to most European systems, but compared to 1999 (when I last worked there) it's pretty darn good. Much better than San Diego for example.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

you're not wrong, but both those cities were around before the great car-ing in the first place

I can't imagine it's true for LA's outstretched suburbs and the like either, just the main core city.

Metro, Expo lines cover a large area. Add Metrolink and it's even larger.

Here's where it will be at in 2028, most of that is already running.

The planned routes are indicated on this map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

My tactic in LA is to use a folding bike to cover the last few miles to
My destination from the subway stations.