Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is so my poo poo, i'll be back tomorrow motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

what onions do I cuck
what cheese do I melt on the cucked onions
what bread do I sleep with behind its spouse's back, and then serve alongside homemade french slowcucked onion soup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne2hhWeLSS4

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

ayyyy I was thinking about posting this. Matty Matheson is great. I wouldn't pay $13 for his "Ultimate Burger" but still, he's great

if my secret santa doesn't buy me his book since it's on my wishlist imma buy it for myself

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

animist posted:

the petit bourgeois stromboli:

1. go to grubhub.com

2. order a stromboli

uh, call your local strombo place people.

grubhub is bad

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

the secret to doing a $5 challenge is Stealing. cheers

how about you can only buy from that weird discount rack at the back of the store or marked down grey meats

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

A Dollar Store challenge would be cool too.

Anyway I just got my new thermos and I'm gonna fill it up with soup for breakfast from now on. I want soup ideas! Preferably on the thinner side consistency-wise, stews would be a little hard to deal with here. My list so far is:
1.Tom Kha
2.Miso
3.Clear Broth Mushroom
4.Cream of Mushroom w/ Green Onions
5.Just a Bunch Of loving Chicken Broth

you forgot french onion.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

Would French onion keep well overnight? I wouldn't have time to make that in the morning.

idk man, im toaster ovening a taco bell quesodilla right now

but it might, problem is it's go a lot of fat in it

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like how much work do you want to do in the morning?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I want to learn how to make brown bread like the serve in steakhouses, does anyone have a cspam approved recipe?

This looks like it would turn out pretty well

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/honey-wheat-bread-like-outback-64435

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

I just got my first cast iron pan and I'm making burgs with it tonight! Stay tuned for my "loving pan is ruined already" post later

If you can ruin a cast iron pan with things in your house minus power tools I'd be impressed.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

fill w/ water + salt, wait two days

A little electrolysis and you're back in business!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
5 minute dinner.

Grilled hammy and cheese

Throw your ham on your flat top over a burner, you need to dry it out some.

Mayo, not butter

Quickly build it up with the first slice down.

Flip

Eat.

Tavern ham, vermont 30+ day aged cheddar and some kind of 12 grain bread.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

Also I made a very nice buffalo blue cheese burger with the cast iron. And I think I cleaned it correctly too! We'll see what color it is in the morning.

Post a picture now, it's easy to fix quickly with like zero work

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
got this bad boy today

cheezer on the way

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
another 5 minute sandwich

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

I have a camping stove that looks like half of that

I use it to do a Mongolian hotpot sort of thing where you cook at the dinner table sometimes on festive occasions

And for camping

i needed a better heat source for my flat top, since it didnt really span two burners on my range.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

What are traditional new year's food in your region, C-Spam?

Pork and saurkraut, like god intended.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well, you took my idea, except i was going to do it with taco bell

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duscat posted:

bread makers own for making almost zero effort pizzas, i had one that would give you a perfectly kneaded dough in 1 hour 6 minutes exactly, just roll that thing out and top with crap, i wish it hadn't broken

i'd argue that a nice set of knifes and a kitchen aid mixer are more important than anything else in a kitchen, including lights, running water...etc

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duscat posted:

yeah you don't need a rice cooker either but lmao if you don't have one

instant pot is the new rice cooker hotness

*sous vides a pizza in vodka*

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

how you cook a potato to 220 in 212 degree water.

dig a 4000 foot deep hole and boil it down there.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Store bought hollandaise sucks but real hollandaise is one of the most difficult things to make. It’s one of the four mother sauces according to escoffier, and supposedly based upon the sauce that people in Holland would use to eat specifically with asparagus, but as far as I can tell they would actually just mash up a hard boiled egg with a fork and mix that with melted butter, which also work pretty well.

The only time I got hollandaise to work well was the hot butter in a blender method. And it was only stable/edible for like 20 minutes.

Basically this https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/84214/blender-hollandaise-sauce/

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Need dinner in a hurry? Dump a bag of snap peas on the ground and them off the floor like a animal

I usually just wrap pepperoni in roast beef, but this could work too.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SHVPS4DETH posted:

my chili has no less than 8 types of beans in it and it never seems like enough (considering adding lentils next time)

love myself a good ham and bean soup chili

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

Cooking with C-SPAM will never die

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's actually this. I think it was the jalepeno.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:drat:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

I need to try making stromb sometime. What kind of pizza dough should I get? Or should I try making it myself?

do you have a kichenaid mixer?

e: got a strombo and cheezer coming

Plinkey has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Mar 8, 2019

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mormonpartyboat posted:

carb free strombo w/a cauliflower dough

nope

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's also fine just to buy it

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

2DCAT posted:

:hmmyes:

also, 15 of the 16 beans in that soup

what bean dont you like?

I need to make that sometime soon, this week is going to be instant pot corned beef and cabage though.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

How do you corn your beef, plink?

I usually sous vide and do the cabage and carrots separatly it and comes out amazing, going to try the instapot this year though roughtly following this:

https://stripedspatula.com/instant-pot-corned-beef/

previous years sous vide (I'll usually load of on 4-5 of them when they go on sale for 89c a pounder after st patricks day):

e: I think that was home made dutch oven sourdough too. I had a shitload of free time when I lived in the middle of nowhere desert, CA.

Ehh maybe not, i don't think I ever put seeds and poo poo on the top.

Plinkey has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Mar 10, 2019

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

I don't know much about it but I think I made it once many years ago and it involved marinating the beef for a few days in some kind of spiced brine

yeah, this time of year you get a brine packet with the corned beef. I think i vacced it in the bag with the packet and let it sit in the fridge for a day or two before about 16 hours in the tepid puddle bath.

e: Here's entirly too many words on sous vide corned beef.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trying the instapot corned beef and cabage tonight, lets see how this turns out.

I didn't have any beer though so I just had to use more water. I just completely forgot even though there's a liquor store right next to the grocery store.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was sloppy, but turned out ok. My pot didn't get a good seal for the veggies for some reason, so they got a bit too mushy, especially the cabbage.

Corned beef was great.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Looks fantastic, it's got that amazing corned color. What's inside the meat?

You mean in the middle? Little dollop of stone ground mustard.

e: There is also no loving way that whoever wrote that recipe fit a full head of cabage in 8ths 1 lb of potatoes and 1 lb carrots in a instapot.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

These things are all variable in size (including the pot) but it sounds pretty difficult

Yeah, I'm guessing that since it's so close to St. Pattys that the grocery store I got it from are stocking up on huge cabages, it was only 47c a pound so whatever.

Basically a buck and a quater each for some big fuckers.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

that'll be 3.50 sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also making some beef jerky tomorrow night, but didnt really take any pictures since it's basically 'cut meat, marinade in soy sauce then add spice and dehydrate for like a day'