Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I was working on my Exploraconda back in October and was building and outfitting everything to the specs I had saved, but I lost it all so I had to improvise with what was left. Can someone please take a look and tell me what to fix on this? My power usage is high and I'm pretty sure my modules aren't exactly right, and I'm not sure about the engineering either.

https://s.orbis.zone/ic_h

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Just wanted to post my HOTAS setup now that I've added my newest addition :D

Pardon the messy desk please!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
RED BUTTON GOES FASTA :orks:

(it's the boost button)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

pork never goes bad posted:

That's awesome. DIY?

Sadly I'm not that good, I got it from this Etsy seller who makes them custom and who has a LOT of customization options:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomSimControls

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I came back to this game for another cycle of space madness. The very first thing I did was pancake my exploraconda onto a high g world about 12k lightyears away from the bubble in the formidine rift

:frontear:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Know what i haven’t seen in a while? People’s cockpit setups. I’m debating hooking my PC to my 4K 55” TV, then getting a wireless keyboard to sit in front of my TV with. But at the same time, I already have VR.

Here's mine! I have a HOTAS setup with a custom switchboard (pictured) that has most of the auxiliary functions bound to it. The Xbox controller is for when I'm driving an SRV

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Opioid posted:

This is exactly my block to getting back into it. I want to, but Ive got this great HOSAS setup that cant live attached to my desk so Id have to dig it out, hook it up, figure out bindings again ehh Ill just do 1 QP match of overwatch and go to bed.

There's a great way to avoid this, that I picked up on from this thread after having the same woes. Once I got back into Elite and set everything up again, I saved a copy of my binds file to my desktop and if I want to play in the future, I can drop that binds file back in and as long as every device that was in use for the binds is plugged in, my setup time drops to "as long as it takes to hook up the HOTAS" which is about ~30 seconds.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This post made me lol

r/EliteDangerous posted:

Ha! Just bought this joke of a game for 7 on PlayStation network and guess I wont be seeing any value out of that investment. New starter experience is horrible at best, toxic at worst. Well played developers/designers, Im sure in your heads, on your design boards and in your original sales pitch you envisioned a rich and thriving community of online players. epic fail.

Load game spend a considerable amount of time doing the training missions in what is the most tedious and boring training mission known to humankind. Launch into the actual game, fly a mission to transport medical kit to a location, get some credits. Fly another mission to deliver coffee to a location jumping from galaxy to galaxy in a sleep inducing bore fest only to arrive at the destination attempting to stop close in what is the worst, tedious and most yawn inducing navigation/flight mechanic Ive experienced ever only to then be bullied by some toxic scum demanding I let them scan me or give them 9k cr or 3t of cargo (none of which I know how to do anyway) for them just too destroy the ship Im flying and put me back at square one.

Ive played some bad games and given youre members of this Reddit I suspect you will all vigorously disagree with me but this is down there in the gutter with the worst.

If I had a say in any sort of cross platform global game development I would put forward a motion that all game designers and their subsidiaries have to log in and play this just so they avoid the same horrible approach.

Even at 7 I feel ripped off.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
There's now a Rogue Signal Source around the Stargoid that you can drop into, but it crashes you to desktop. It's apparently something called a Thargoid Titan :D

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm still highly enjoying exploring around the galaxy with my HOTAS setup while streaming Star Trek: TNG on my other monitor

game still owns after like 7 years friends

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Does this stupid update and downtime have anything added or changed for Odyssey players at all

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

quote:

There should be a hunger/thirst mechanic that you satisfy by synthesizing exobiology you find on planets

Think about it, it makes absolutely no sense that CMDRs can be out in the black for weeks, months, years at a time with no additional supplies. Having to synth food would address this and add another reason to do exobiology. Go up to a brain tree or cactoid and scan it for your sample, then punch it and knock bits off that you can pick up, or scoop in your SRV (if you shoot it with SRV lasers it will cook the food and provide +25% hunger satisfaction).

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lol this game is dying rapidly, the thing they're gonna add for players to find is the Raxxla system but when you jump it's just a big cosmic goatse nebula

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

lmao supermassive indeed

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I've found the best way for me to enjoy Elite is to play it when I feel a hyperfocus coming on and I can direct my ADHD superpowers into it for 200 hours of playing within the span of a couple months, then stop playing for about 4 or 5 months until I feel the itch again. Elite is a game best enjoyed over time in bursts when there's new content, imo

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hey all, quick question:

I'm back into an Elite Dangerous hyperfocus after a few months off to play exclusively Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 (I think I may be neurodivergent) and I have a question about new controllers and bindings.

We all know how finicky E:D is when it comes to bindings. I currently use this kind of setup:

- Logitech X-55 Rhino HOTAS
- Xbox Series X (i think) controller
- Mouse + keyboard
- Separate switch box for most ship functions

I just bought an X-56 HOTAS to have as a backup for when my 10 year old X-55 inevitably breaks. When I swap out the HOTAS units, will I have to set my binds up all over again or will the game recognize the new HOTAS and map it to the same buttons? AFAIK there's nothing different about the X-55 and X-56 in terms of buttons and switches

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thank you!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Arae posted:

You might want to consider a different ship unless you're 100% set on Beluga. Large ships are bad because you will need to use SRV more. If you don't care about getting "every" plant, then it might not be a big deal.

You want something fun to fly and easy to land.

I wish this was advice I had seen before I set off on my year-long exploration trip around the edge of the galaxy because while I love my Exploraconda very very much, it is a royal pain in the rear end to essentially have to use it as a dropship that then takes back off a few minutes later while I'm driving around the SRV. I wish they'd just let us deploy on foot from fighters already, it would solve so many issues

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The game is still fun and good

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
1600 hours in and I just got my fleet carrier and now I'm filling out every codex entry from now until they shut the servers down tbh. If they make this playable offline it might well be the only game I want to play

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The grind is brutal for many. I've engineered multiple ships and each one takes about a full week of work to do. I guess I learned how to stop worrying and love the grind over time because I used to hate it and complain nonstop and now it's kind of fun to go around collecting the things

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

smug jeebus posted:

A lot of my favorite games have insane flaws that get harder and harder to overlook the more I play them. Except for F.E.A.R., that game is perfect.

The nail gun in that game remains the most fun weapon I've ever used in an FPS because of how good the physics and slowmo were

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I love Braben and I love Elite but honestly it does get supremely frustrating at seeing what Elite Dangerous could and should have been vs what we got. So much potential just vaporized and it's the only game of its type :( I'm not even bothering with Starfield because Skyrim In Space doesn't really appeal much to me

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
gently caress it would be so cool if we could land on thick atmosphere planets. Or hang out in the upper reaches of a gas giant. It really sucks we will never be able to land on full atmo planets, let alone ELWs.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The most recent one was insane. I made five billion credits in a single day and within two I was able to buy a carrier and park enough funds in it for two years of upkeep lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I found out about it through a combination of Reddit and a few Elite discord servers

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Starfield is quite fun, having gone into it with absolutely no expectations or hype. The first time I'd heard of it was about 3 months before it launched. This is a nice change from the sim style of Elite, which I'm taking a break from

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
New gold rush is here

The new Community Goal has, once again, offered us the opportunity for tremendous profit!

Here's the deal; the community goal is offering over 200k/each for tritium. This is theoretically for mined tritium, but while it doesn't count for the community goal, purchased tritium also pays the same, and can give you profit margins of 120 million credits per trip.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

What does this mean and can it be done on console? It sounds like something I'd like.

https://canonn.science/codex/cartographics/the-landscape-signal/

Have fun :) It's quite fun

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Literally no game like it out there, for real. There are games that have bits and pieces of Elite, but E:D is the only one that's the full package for realistic sci-fi space sims. It occupies a niche of itself.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
FDev could cease all development for the game, take the servers into offline only mode and fire all the staff if only they gave us the ability to land on full atmo planets because at that point I would literally neither need nor want anything else from ED.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

I loved my Asp Explorer in FFE, and honestly it's doing pretty drat well for me in E:D too, although I have enough money now that I am about to buy another couple of ships just to try them out a bit.

Also, it means absolutely nothing from a gameplay perspective, but I am kind of sad that you don't have NPC crew anymore except for fighter pilots, I kind of liked the immersion of having to hire people to crew the larger ships (the Anaconda required a whopping eight to operate). Graduating to my first ship that required me to hire a crew for it was neat, it added to the sense of progression more so than just changing the stats. Hell, maybe keep them optional but let me stick 'em on turrets for an accuracy bonus or tie some other kind of buff to them, so it's a tradeoff you can make.

I want to fill those empty seats on my ships so badly :( It gets lonely out there, even having an NPC would help with that.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I wish I could orbit a different direction. Unless I crank my head back and look up with headlook, or use freecam, I can't see what I'm orbiting :argh:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

I've not played since pre-Odyssey, have I missed much? I've been reinstalling to scratch the space itch.

Thargoids invaded for real and started taking over thousands of systems in the Bubble and the last year has been an anti-xeno war to reclaim them. They sent out a bunch of Thargoid megaships called Maelstroms and each one has been a hub for anti-xeno activities.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

Did this just fizzle into nothing? Seems like I haven't heard anything since the maelstroms showed up

The narrative is progressing. Recently commanders were sent to rescue captured humans from the Maelstroms using a new limpet and the reintegrated people are acting very...weird when back in human populations. There were also new ground structures added called Spires that seem to be important to the Maelstroms and they recently confirmed a Thargoid vulnerability to a bioweapon Palin developed. The war itself has been a grinding slog and it recently reached a turning point where commanders were able to reclaim all of the systems associated with one of the Maelstroms. The Maelstrom itself is still there but the commanders are slowly winning.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Elite's franchise lore continuity has Star Wars level retcons going on. Much like how the original expanded universe was made noncanon once Disney took over, most of the pre-Elite Dangerous lore doesn't seem to matter anymore unless they specifically bring it forward for E:D.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm pretty thrilled with the news that we're getting new stuff and that they aren't just shutting the game down. I am excited for the Powerplay rework, hopefully it will make Powerplay more like I thought it would be the first time. It is in theory very cool to be able to do poo poo for a power to influence things and if the rework lets me do a realistic job of helping some dudes I like functionally take over a system in a way that isn't spreadsheeting out 5,000 missions before a server tick or whatever, I'll be happy. My expectations are appropriately low, but I am excited at least.

I am also quite excited about whatever the totally new feature will be. I hope it's expanded planetary landings :D

Just happy my favorite dumb space game is getting continued love instead of being chucked in a garbage bin at this time. All things must end but I get to putter around the galaxy for a while longer yet and I'm even getting some new toys to do it with. I'll show some support of this news and buy some ARX when I get home, there are some cool skins I want to pick up for a miner I want to build.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Titan Taranis has been defeated, that was insane

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What happened to it

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/1b443do/taranis_death/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The Taranis explosion was rad af. There's now a giant caustic exclusion zone after the Titan went supernova and you could see the explosion from supercruise, even. There's something going on in the remnant of the Titan that we can't get to, nobody can break through the caustic exclusion zone and it forces you out of supercruise just like any other exclusion zone does. Flying in realspace just starts frying your ship faster and faster until you hit a repulsive force (not the same one you use the pulse neutralizer against, this is more like a magnetic force pushing you back than a pulse). Whatever's going on in there is the answer to what comes after all the Titans are destroyed.

Also, that Titan tried to get the gently caress out at 3500ls per minute in realspace when it exploded, it was ZOOMIN