Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

tin can made man posted:

Am I the only turbonerd that saw blonde spider Man and immediately gasped "Ben Reilly?"

The only real plot holes I could take from this are the aforementioned high school age gwen infiltrating a prestigious charter middle and Jefferson Davis apparently being the only cop in NY to the point where he's not only police security at the Kingpins Gala but also responding to emergency calls in Queens

I would recommend that absolutely no one reads the comic Spider Verse event(s), but if they're looking to mine characters from that for sequels Spider-Punk is an absolute gimme, not only because he speaks so strongly to modern us politics and matches the film's aesthetics but that he's his universe's version of The Prowler/Uncle Aaron which would introduce some interesting character dynamic with Miles
Most importantly, however, Spider-Punk is at least partially created by a goon.

Also, I'd kind of like to see the Renew Your Vows Spider-Family, since that would allow a version of MJ to be actively participating in the story (and it'd be interesting to see Peter B's reaction to that, as well as to his alternate-dimension daughter (Spider-Girl would be good for a similar reason). They could even have Chris Pine back to play RYV Spidey. Or one of the previous Spidey VAs from one of the many prior adaptations - while Tobey would have probably overshadowed the cast, hence why they left him out in this one (not to mention he's not really all that great at VA work, from what I saw of him in the Spider-Man games) - there's a lot of talented actors who could reprise the role. You could even get the appropriate MJ actress to voice Spinneret and maybe drop hints that it's the future of the 90s cartoon or Spectacular.

The_Doctor posted:

Look, he's the best drat street cop in Brooklyn and CaptainCommissioner Holt believes in him.
I choose to believe Holt's the Commish in this universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mameluke posted:

What fun Spider-Folk who didn't make the cut for this one would y'all like to see in a sequel? Italian Spiderman, obviously, and newspaper Spiderman for sure; Silk would be a great "serious" addition. I'd also love to see Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark show up and belt out a catastrophic number or two; he even comes with his own Spider-God, Arachne!

I figure Spider-Girl is a fairly likely future inclusion. The Renew Your Vows verse Spider-Family might be cool to see (you'd have a version of MJ that could actively participate in the story, too), but I suppose a lot of people would say that Sony was ripping off the Incredibles. I dunno if the rights would allow it, but having PS4 Spidey/versions from the previous cartoons would be cool.

They could also just make up new, original, spider-people directly for the movie (kind of like how Spider-Gwen and Sp//dr got their start spinning out of the Spider-Verse comics). The 'let's do this one more time' storytelling device would work just as well for introing entirely new characters as it does for established ones that the audience most likely doesn't know.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Regalingualius posted:

Is Spider-MJ already an actual character?

Well, there's been a few:
1) A Spider-Woman MJ showed up in Exiles (think Sliders meets Quantum Leap, but with superheroes) basically wearing Peter's costume.
2) I believe in the Marvel Mangaverse, her and Peter and both members of the Spider-Clan (yes really). Again I think she's that world's Spider-Woman.
3) In the Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows universe, MJ uses some tech taken from a supervillain that Peter modified into a costume that basically lets her syphon off his powers. She fights crime with him and their daughter, Annie May Parker.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

evilmiera posted:

MJ loves Spidey ending like it did makes me almost as angry as Marvel Adventures Spidey ending just as it had wrapped up one of its finest storylines with Chat and Emma Frost.

If you're talking about the McKeever run of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane and not the continuation, I actually liked it ending at that point. We all knew exactly how the story would end from there. It wasn't the end, not really - it was the end of the beginning.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm fairly sure she's meant to be middle aged dude. Way older than Peter. Hobo Peter treats her like she's older than he is (Peter is a goon but I kinda doubt he's a big enough one to think "Oh you look 35" is a good thing to say to anyone remotely near 35 or under it) and he's well into his 30s.

To be fair, I think Peter only says that to tell Miles the end of the password.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a bit tricky given Otto Octavius is usually a schlubby middle-aged guy who tends to be short but heavyset, while Liv is in much better shape and more hyperactive and wiry. There's a good chance Liv was Peter's teacher at some point. (it's mentioned that he was a grad student. Which of course Peter Parker is)
I think Otto's been Peter's teacher/mentor in both the Raimi films and the PS4 game, so that seems a reasonable assumption.

And speaking of songs, I kind of wish the song that plays for Spider-Gwen's flashback was available on the soundtrack.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LadyPictureShow posted:

The only minor bummer I have about the movie was that the voice actor from the 90s cartoon (Christopher Barnes) didn't voice anyone in this. Guy's voiced a variety of Spider-Men since, and he's certainly got... uh, range.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMk-HPBF6Mw

They had to save some stuff for the sequels.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ava DuVernay did a Q&A with the directors which was pretty good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Looking forward to this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x2yXKckfuA

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

So I saw this film three times in a week now, and it really is amazing.

Two things though:

Gwen says she was in the other dimension for a week already, how did that work?

The bit with MJ at the Kingpin fundraiser thing, it looks like she gets up to do a speech and instead orders some bread. It felt weird.

Bit of a weird timing. Otherwise the movie is fantastic.

Presumably the supercollider hiccuped or something when it pulled her in. Considering everything else that happened, it doing funky things with spacetime. If you think about it, it might even be a stable time loop. If Gwen's not pulled in a week early, then Miles never gets his hand stuck to her hair, which was probably the catylyst for him finding out about his powers and going to find the spider, which leads to him getting tangled up in Peter's last fight. If Peter hadn't had to take time out to save him, then Gren Goblin might not have recovered in time to stop him from triggering the goober. But since he did, Peter got shoved into the supercollider, which in turn pulled Gwen into Miles' universe.

This deleted scene's pretty cool, although I think they were right to cut it. I think they used some of the dialogue for the trailer.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

They kind of missed a trick not giving them bowties. You already did it in the movie for the gala scene, guys c'mon!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So in the UK, Cineworld's doing something called IMAX Film Festival tomorrow, so I get to watch this movie in IMAX for super cheap! :toot:

Just a heads up for anyone else in the UK who's interested.

I think I've watched this movie...maybe too many times?

Still psyched for it, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

This got posted in the BSS movie thread and it's delightful.

They really pulled out all the stops. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mat Cauthon posted:

Make an entire Spider-man movie but let that lady play every role. Especially J.J.J.

There are so many heartfelt moments, even just in passing that the entire movie tugs on your heartstrings even while it's leaving you astonished.
They should unironically cast her as a live-action Cindy Moon/Silk.

Steve2911 posted:

Instead of a sequel they should do a shot for shot remake the 2003 MTV series with this animation quality and style.

They should bring NPH back as MTV Spider-Man in a cameo, at least.

Hell, they could technically wrap up or follow up on the 1994 cartoon, the MTV series, and Spectacular Spider-Man if they were so inclined.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Open Marriage Night posted:

Spider-Verse is now on Netflix.

I think that's just in the US. In the UK we only just got Homecoming. I think we're gonna have to wait until next Christmas for Spider-Verse if that's any indication.

Edit: Also Lord & Miller co-wrote the latest Spider-Man annual that's Spider-Ham focused. It's real good, check it out. I'm pretty sure one of the characters introduced in it (Spider-Guin - yes, Spider-Gwen as a penguin) is going to show up in a sequel. At least she will if there's any justice in the world.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 29, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Doctor posted:

You’re missing out the best pun.

Meows Morales. :imunfunny:

That's not even the first funny animal take on Miles. There was Miles Morhames as Ultimate Spider-Ham in another comic.

Which is dumb, because Miles Boarales is much funnier.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It happens a fair bit in comics with the various versions of Batman teaming up, etc etc.. In the Marvel universe they had the Council of Kangs (different versions of Kang the Conqueror teaming up) which was homaged by the Council of Reeds (different evil version of Reed Richards) which was homaged/parodied on Rick & Morty by the Council of Ricks. The TMNT have actually done it several times, Deadpool has done it, the Power Rangers have done it and Spider-Man has done it a lot.

One time a whole bunch of alternate versions of Wolverine played baseball against a team of alternate universe Spider-Mans.

I need to know what this story was and where I can find it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Deadpool: Too Soon? issue #6. This is pretty much the entire sequence:
:allears:

It's up there with the time the Avengers played against Galactus & his heralds to save Earth. (Marvel Adventures was so good, you guys).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darko posted:

Now I want Bollywood Spider (wo)Man.

I dunno about Bollywood, but they did an Indian Spider-Man.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really, REALLY want Leopardon in the sequel after the original comic utterly wasted him.

He got a spinoff story in Spider-Geddon (written by a goon, no less) that gives him the respect he deserves.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LadyPictureShow posted:

Was that a Spider-Man era that was universally reviled?

It's up (or is it down?) there with the worst of the Clone Saga and One More Day, yeah. It was at one point intended to be a reboot of Peter's origins for the main universe like Byrne did for Superman, but even as it was coming out Marvel was telling other writers to stick with the classic origin.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh, what have I done?! :ohdear:

It's not your fault, you didn't know. It could have been worse, you could have posted Spider-Verse (the original comic). Which aside from 'a bunch of Spider-Men' team up, basically has nothing in common with the movie. But it did kind of kill off or otherwise mess up a bunch of actually cool characters. Like Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends? They get murked. The Peter Parker who retired and had a daughter who became Spider-Girl and had her own book that lasted for 100+ issues? Also dead. And as was previously mentioned, Japanese Spider-Man, the guy with his own giant robot (and I think kind of innovated the sentai show), basically did jack poo poo. Literally the only good things that came out of it is I think Spider-Gwen - and this movie, obviously. Hell, it didn't even invent the idea of a team of alternate-universe Spider-Men - the 90s cartoon did it first.

Actually, they're doing a new Spider-Verse comic, which seems to be taking its cues from this movie by having Miles be the lead. Also, it's written by the goon who did the great Leopardon story for Spider-Geddon (which was a better sequel - at the very least when it came to the tie-in books).

Yes, that is Aunt May as the Amazing Spider-Ma'am.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

McSpanky posted:

This movie is so good you guys. Just wanted to get that out there, not sure if anyone committed to this objectively correct assessment yet.

:hmmyes:

Another detail about that Spider-Verse comic: apparently they've reached out to a bunch of people posting Spidersonas to put them in the book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much everything about comics diversity after McDuffie died is 100% diversity as written by white nerds.

Kamala Khan. :colbert:

(Your point till stands).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The only thing I know about her is the strip about how voting is great even if you don't like the choices with totally-not-Bernie Sanders as the bad guy

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh god, what?
Um. I'm guessing that might have been a GOTV issue from the before-times of 2016. Which I think got delayed after the actual election (thanks, Civil War II!)

But one tone-deaf issue doesn't change the fact her overall run is absolutely goddamn delightful.

She's absolutely the biggest character Marvel's come up with (maybe tied with Miles) in recent years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Doctor posted:

They didn’t establish there’s other heroes out there, did they? It’s the same sort of hero vacuum from all the Sony movies?
I mean, technically you could use any heroes that appeared first/primarily in Spider-Man books, so that's what, Black Cat, um...Cardiac, Wraith, The Smithville Thunderbolt(s) and Spindrifter?

I'm pretty sure that Spindrifter will never be in a movie, but I like reminding people Spider-Man: Hooky exists.

Also: I found a collection of stills someone got form the original teaser, which I posted overi nBSS and forgot to do so here. Fortunately there's an updated version with extra logos, for people to guess away at.

Consensus is that the one in the middle of the top row is representing the Emissary of Hell himself, Toei Spider-Man!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MrMojok posted:

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I feel this thread is the best place to ask.

Do any of you remember a website called Spideykicksbutt.com? It was a site run by a Spider-Man superfan, was around for years, with a lot of good, detailed analyses of Spidey comic history. It's been offline for a long time. Does anyone know if it's still up on a new domain, or is any of that stuff archived anywhere?

Aside from being on archive, it's being gradually rehosted/updated on another site. It also has a bunch of other articles by other people and a podcast he's a regular on.

If you've any non-Spidey questions, you can also check out Batman's Shameful Secret.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

They finally added the movie to UK Netflix! :toot: Now I don't have to muck about with the Sony movies app when I want to rewatch it!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I've been thinking, and I think you can can count ITSV as an honorary Christmas movie a la Die Hard, since it's expressly set in winter and it of course has Spidey Bells.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

immoral_ posted:

Why's it gotta be almost a year out tho.

This way it comes out in the 60th anniversary year of Spider-Man. I can’t think of a better celebration.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So an international poster's come out:

That's Spectacular Spidey in the lower right there!

Edit: And another one!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ynohtna posted:

What's the deal with Spectacular Spider-Man?

Does he wear glasses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNA6pzYpwH0
He's the protagonist of the cartoon of the same name from the late 2000s that was muchloved but wound up ending on a massive cliffhanger due to rights issues between Marvel & Sony.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Right behind May Parker and Ben Reilly on the left.

That's Spinneret (Mary Jane) from the Renew Your Vows series, not May.

Also I think it's actually the Doppelganger, since Spiders-Man still has a proper mask in the comics.

Also why are there two distinct versions of Spidey wearing a grey business suit?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The MSJ posted:

Spectacular Spider-Man was sacrificed so that Sony can make the Andrew Garfield movies. In exchange Marvel made their Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon on Disney XD that is in the same world as their Avengers Assemble and Agents of SMASH cartoons.

While losing Spectacular hurt and Disney’s own shows were mediocre, in the grand calculus of the multiverse, the sacrifice was worth it. I guess. I mean we’d have never got ITSV if Sony kept the TV rights instead of the film rights.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I AM GRANDO posted:

Do these ads mean that Jessica Drew and Julia Carpenter are the only spider-women other than Gwen and that afro lady?
'That afro lady' is Jessica Drew.

I think they actually took inspiration for her look from the original Spider-Woman:

Edit: beaten like the Vulture's about to be.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/sta...-concept-art%2F

:3:

I’m really looking forward to seeing Peter & Mayday.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CapnAndy posted:

Well, you literally asked for it!

About fifteen years or so back, I'm not looking it up, Marvel retconned Peter and MJ's marriage out of existence when Aunt May got shot and Peter made a deal with the devil -- as in, he actually went down to Hell and made an agreement with the devil -- to save her in exchange for his marriage. This was done because something something actual reason, comics writers at the time were sorta surfing a zeitgeist of "oh GOD are we getting old??? I thought we were immune to this poo poo, gently caress gently caress gently caress revert everything back to the status quo when we were 15, maybe that'll fix it, fuuuuuuuck". Move was not terribly popular and Peter and MJ have sorta danced around each other ever since, depending on the writer.

Last guy writing Spider-Man ended a very well recieved run with Peter and MJ, while not remarried, in a committed relationship. New guy takes over, does a six month timeskip, and makes it so Peter and MJ have broken up, Spider-Man is a pariah in the superhero community, MJ has hooked up with some new rando, and they have two children who look to be 5-8 years old. The intent was that this would hook everyone on the mystery of "oh man what happened in the intervening time???", actual result was massive fan backlash because there is such a thing as taking the "ol' Parker luck"/"editorial mandate that Peter Parker can never be happy" thing too far and this was way over the line, and also the rando and the kids were obvious lame ducks who might as well have had I'M GONNA GET RETCONNED OUT OF EXISTENCE painted on their foreheads from their first appearances.

The eventual explanation was given and it was that MJ got sucked into a Something Portal, Peter needed a thingie from the Fantastic Four to save her, rather than asking for it because he is, y'know, a long-time friend of the family, honorary member of the team, and has in fact been on the Four himself multiple times, he decided to break into the Baxter Building and steal it, and then kick the poo poo out of the entire Avengers, including Captain America, when they tried to stop him. But then it turned out that inside the portal was one of those time dilation dealies and it had been years for MJ, and she'd given up on being rescued and formed a relationship with Random Guy, and maybe those were her actual biological kids with him and maybe they were adopted because they were also trapped in the portal, who knows right??????

In either the most recent or one of the most recent issues of Spider-Man, the kids disappeared from reality (I dunno why, I dropped that run like a hot rock along with everyone else), and the comics fandom reacted by celebrating the deaths of two children.

Don’t forget that they teased ‘the most shocking death in a Spider-Man comic since The Night Gwen Stacy Died’, only for it to be Ms. Marvel, who while being one of the most beloved of Marvel’s recent characters alongside Miles and Spider-Gwen, was barely in the run (having appeared in 12 pages of a 25 issue run before the issue she died) and a lot of people suspect the death is intended solely so she can be resurrected as a mutant with her light powers in time for The Marvels (also co-written by the writer of this run!)

But far more important than the failings of the comics, the movie’s really good.

It was great to see Spider-Ham and Noir back for the Web Warriors, along with Peni in her new comics accurate mecha. Putting them on the back burner makes sense now that we know they’re going to playing a bigger role in Beyond The Spider-Verse. And we also got the new Web Warriors who also are great (with Mayday being the best granted I’m a huge Spider-Girl fan, and Spider-Punk being a close second. And Pavitr and Spider-Byte also amazing. I’m excited to see all of them. I guess technically this film explains how Toomes ended up in the Sonyverse (although not how he got his gear back). Presumably Miguel grabbed him and stuffed him in the go-home machine right after that post credits scene.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I know the "Spider-Man 2099 is more spider-y" explanation, but I'm still gonna call it: this film's Miguel O'Hara isn't a Spider at all. He's Morlun, gathering up all the Spiders in one place so he can have a massive Spider Buffet. If there ever was a Spider-Man 2099, Morlun killed him and impersonated him (with holograms or whatever), and the "disappeared for months into another universe and had a highly traumatic event" story is a convenient cover for why Miguel vanished one day and had a different personality the next time the rest of the Society saw him.

Please god no.

Also Peter B was there when Miguel’s adoptive universe collapsed, so I think that definitely happened. I really don’t think they’re going to pull the loving Inheritors into their blockbuster movie franchise. The comics thoroughly poisoned that particular well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Sorry, me being right about stuff is a canon event.

Proof that opposing the ‘canon’ is a moral imperative.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

massive spider posted:

I enjoy that Ganke in this movie explicitly calls out he is not miles’ “guy in the chair” i.e he’s not Ned from the MCU.

I mean unfortunately they straight up took Ganke from the comics and renamed him Ned Leeds for the MCU. So they really have to work to differentiate them otherwise a lot of viewers would think they’re just recycling Ned.

Speaking of characters getting retooled, I’m rather ashamed it took me until seeing this tweet to recognise Arana in the film:
https://twitter.com/lt_aranya/status/1670132458107305984?s=21

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

koolkal posted:

Frankly I'm surprised they haven't announced a Gwen movie yet. She's one of Sony's most popular characters now and easily their most popular heroine.

Instead we have.. Kraven.

There's been persistent rumours she's getting her own spinoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

IIRC they did something similar with what the security guard says when Spidey Bells plays. I can remember at least 3 different lines.