Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Talespin stuff is going to appear in the new Ducktales.

It already has!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI1RJ6QVXrQ

I'm going to assume that Don Karnage is a multiclass Rogue/Bard. Gotta be.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

KingKalamari posted:

It's actually been there since episode 1: Our first introduction to the triplets sees them being caught in a zany scheme to hot-wire Donald's houseboat while he's at a job interview so they sail it to Cape Suzette. It's amazing how many deep cuts this show has to old Disney Afternoon shows: The secret spy formula from "The Secret Case Files of Agent 22" is the Gummiberry Juice from Gummi Bears, and a recent episode saw Dewey and Della sing along to "Stand Out" from A Goofy Movie on the radio

Don't forget them using the moon level theme from the nes ducktales for their... Moon episode.

It even had lyrics! Brentalfloss must be so proud.

The new ducktales is a crazy collection of deep cuts for their older audience.

But I digress.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I'm dming curse of strahd (for 7 fellow goon PC's, loving kill me), any tips or tricks from those that have come before me?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thanks everyone. Awesome advice.

7 PC's is what you get when you are running a campaign on a somewhat populated discord, and everyone wants to hang out.

Hopefully I can treat player count a little more like the justice league (not everyone shows up every week always), but we'll see.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My current group is all adult attorneys

You call it Barristers and Bugbears, right? Attorneys and Aarakocra doesn't have the same ring to it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Solicitors and Saalads

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Got the Ravenloft book and I love it. But why doesn't it list the monsters alignment.

Is there any guidance in the new ravenloft book regarding various divination/detection spells? I understand that any commune with higher power potentially allows the darklord to intervene.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

The original premise of the Forgotten Realms is that they were connected to our own world by portals that we (aside from a Canadian librarian) forgot. Maybe you got the gun here on our dumb Earth.

Which librarian would this be? Ed?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Have you given thought to how you do your planar traveling? Shipwrecked Spelljammer is cooler than portal hopper, if only because you get to explain how you stole your gun from a Giff because the Giff are the coolest dumbest race in all of D&D.

(19th century imperial British(/German depending on which source) hippo men)

Easy - considering that Hippos can run faster than a human, and swim faster than a human, the character beat the Griff in triathlon with an excellent time on the bike section.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Not Tormentors?

I imagine it's actually "those loving dorks in the full plate over there," but I digress.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey guys,

Really quick, what are a couple of good feats that a 4th level Bard of Creation should consider taking? Friend of mine asked me for advice, but I've only splashed a little 5e and am a long way from the mastery that y'all possess.

TIA!

Don't want to be a unfun advice giver, but Unfortunately for level 4 it's usually ability score increase in their attack stat by +2. Because the game doesn't have partial partial successes in combat (either you hit or your don't!), hitting (and thus being accurate) is very important. 5e doesn't really have a warlord-esque "everyone else is my weapon, I never need to attack class," so I think your bard player still rolls d20s.

Unless they rolled super poo poo hot for stats (and who rolls stats these days!?!), there's no way they have a 20 in their attack stat (probably CHA in this case).

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 16, 2021

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Enjoy posted:

Common health pots are 1gp in this setting

But yeah an exception to relics etc would make sense

Or maybe I should rethink it some more

This was 3.5's attempt at a vow of poverty:

https://dndtools.net/feats/book-of-exalted-deeds--52/vow-of-poverty--3081/

But 3.5 was predicated on a lot of magic items. However, it's interesting to see the through-line to 4e's inherent bonuses and then 5e's bounded accuracy and flatter math.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Megazver posted:

If you can't get into CR for one reason or another (like me) there is a thousand more Actual Play shows for D&D alone and bunch more for other systems, and you might enjoy one of the others more. There's even one with Jeff Goldblum as a player, somehow!

Personally, I'd recommend checking out Dimension 20. The DM is a professional improviser who is Whose Line-level good, and the rest of the cast are comedians, and each season is a very tight, hilarious piece of entertainment. Mercer is actually a player in one of the seasons, basically playing a Nazgul in a party of LOTR-inspired baddies.

Other D&D shows I've heard good things about it but haven't had time to check out (there's too gosh darn many of them), include Not Another D&D Podcast, Dungeons & Daddies, Rude Tales of Magic and Late to the Party.

Just to show you how good the dm is at improvising, this epic meltdown was done entirely off the cuff:

(just to provide some background, the gimmick of this game show is that the rules of the game change every episode, and the rules aren't explained to contestants. The game is "yes or no" where the players are asked "yes or no?" and awarded points on their responses. Then this happened.)

https://youtu.be/88et7YlmzTs

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Malpais Legate posted:

What if the enemy is good at catching them in their mouths like when you toss popcorn up and catch it?

This is a bad plan for attack!

They could always choke. Time to consult the d100 table of "when monsters don't chew their food"

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

radlum posted:

How do you roleplay a Warforged character? I was thinking of playing one in the next game my DM is starting but I was wondering how "robotic" should I play the character, so I could use some suggestions.

My warforged had a broken vocoder, so he communicated through beeps and boops (aka a harmonica).

The idea was to just let the other players interpret for me a la Chewbacca, but I had to dip on the campaign before that really started to take off, sadly.

It was fun to play the CHARGE riff (like you would hear from the organ player at a sports event) just before giving the rogue in the party commander's strike.

It seemed like a fun gimmick. HK-47 always seems like a good back up option if you're out of ideas.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thou turnest commences, montebank!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Two questions on Monk, since I'm going to try to go Drunken Master monk in my first game.

First, I see a lot of talk of taking on a weapon, I really thought I'd just be punching things to death, but I guess that's not actually very strong until you're well into levels. So I guess a spear or something will do for a bit? And there'd be little point in taking a shortbow I figure.

2nd, does Diamond Soul render Drunkard's Luck, regarding Saving Throws, null? Drunkard's luck allows you to nullify disadvantage on a couple of other things but after Diamond Soul since you get proficiency on all Saving Throws.

1) you are correct. You're going to be using a spear until 17th level - at that point your unarmed strikes deal more damage than the spear does.

2) incorrect. Disadvantage and proficiency do not over write each other at all. Proficiency adds a bonus to your die roll. Disadvantage makes you roll 2d20 and take the lowest result.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Now I wanna flavor a Fighter as a luchador, but take a dip into Pact of the Blade Warlock just so he can have a pact weapon that is a folding chair (reflavored from a 2H mace). He'll insist on cutting a promo before every major fight, wear tons of neon spandex, and constantly be jumping off of things and landing on his enemies.

My barbarian, "Manly Man" Randall Wildman, uses a "Dwarven" Greataxe, which suspiciously looks like a steel folding chair. He also might have been trained wrong by the dwarves of Ironmaster as a cruel joke.

Oooooh yeah!

Edit: Great Weapon Master is a busted feat. Just handing out chair shots and CTE to all the devils and demons of Avernus.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Wouldn't it be good to get 3 levels of fighter to get champion for extra crits? Especially as a barbarian?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Not if you are delaying barb progression for it

What do you mean? The plan for my character was:

Barb to 8 (maxes strength at this point with the ASI)
Fighter to 3 (for Champion dip)
Back to Barb for the rest (we are playing Descent into Avernus, which means there are 15 levels of progression, give or take), which is another 4 levels.

He misses Brutal Critical (13), and Totemic Attunement (14, Bear, which gives that sweet defender aura, to be fair), and then Persistent Rage (15), which seems like a nice to have, not a need to have. I also lose a few HP in having smaller HD for the 3 Fighter levels, and delay an ASI/Feat for 3 levels

In exchange, I get an extra 10% chance to crit (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/895vil/i_calculated_how_much_of_an_effect_advantage_and/), action surge, and a +1 to AC.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Spellcasting is edging, got it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Real UK Grime posted:

Barb with a fighter dip and vice versa is fine. If you're worried about performance, don't dip either until you have your Extra Attack at level 5.

I think it's a bit sub optimal, but Barb with a 3 level dip in fighter for Champion (and the expanded crit range) is pretty hilarious.

I just hit level 9 barb/3 fighter and rolled a bunch of 19s in row and it felt good.

Progression wise, I went barb to 8, then fighter to 3, and then Barb for the rest of the campaign.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Aren't they supposed to be good with guns, too? I do agree the Jiff seem quite underwhelming. Hopefully they will get something that makes them more unique in the actual release.

Speaking of, how much do things change from playtest to release?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Do they have six fingers on each hand, or do people just see "LEAR READ"?

They tattooed their thumbs. Then realized it wouldn't work when they made a fist, and don't want to talk about it anymore. :v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Turns out that Joseph Smith was just a high level cleric with right splat book.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Rubberduke posted:

But if you were also a monk, you could be trunk-fu fighting.

Surely not everyone was trunk-Fu fighting?!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

James Woods posted:

Doe anyone know of any good sources for Foundry Assets for Decent Into Avernus specifically Infernal War Machines? I'm going to be co-DMing an upcoming session of our Avernus campaign and will for the first time in a session be using Foundry to run the Vehicle combat mostly as a Battle Board on share screen. Any resources for maps or icons for vehicles would be greatly appreciated. I searched from within the Foundry app and didn't find anything.

https://pretzel-lectern.blogspot.com/2020/10/d-better-infernal-war-machine-tokens.html?m=1

You should be able to find maps on google for free as well.

Like this: https://www.patreon.com/posts/56648357

Hope this is useable for foundry.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

change my name posted:

- Troll on a scholarship

From the strixhaven set:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

change my name posted:

I actually used the same idea when my party did a 22 Jump Street adventure at a magic university last year so that's pretty funny that it's canon

(also too bad that this is green, I feel like it would have had way more synergy in white, especially since it has vigilance)

I'm willing to bet the card started out as a white card, but moved to green when they could use the pun Honor Troll.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

the problem with monks is they are suboptimal but also extremely cool and people want to play them. this is also the problem with ranger

Rangers don't seem(?) bad with all the help they have from Tasha's, although I would love to be corrected on that point.

I am currently running a Gloomstalker Ranger (archer style, currently at level 3), and the Gloomstalker seems to be a pretty powerful kit, at least so far. It encourages multiclassing to Fighter for action surge, but what Martial Character doesn't want action surge?

I do need a way to reliably get into a dark zone though, to really take advantage of Umbral Sight.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm not a believer in game music unless I have something insanely on-point. When you have stuff that's not chosen for the scene, I find it's distracting. People are like "ooh do I know this one" or laugh when your ambient tavern track becomes the Skyrim theme or whatever.

I'm a huge believer in game music. Setting the tone with some background ambiance is a really low effort way to help set the scene, and given how much of it exists (and how specific it can be!) it's totally worth 5 minutes of prep time before a session to get something.

Acutal music is a bit trickier for the above reasons mentioned. Still can be a good thing. Especially for battles.

I had an interesting fight in a mechwarrior campaign, where my players were driving to a meeting, and were being stalked by a kill-dozer type vehicle. Cue the Jaws theme. My players reacted very positively to it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any ideas how I can present Professor Onyx in the Strixhaven module? I have one player who wants to do an independent study with a subject-matter that is dead-on for her, but I want to be sure that there's some value to running the character other than just making a goofy face at a nonexistent camera and hoping the two players who know about MtG get what's going on.

Maybe I should ask the Magic thread as well, I dunno.

Clearly you need to have Liliiana and Prof Onyx in the same room together to establish that Prof Onyx is not Liliana.

You players can get into wacky hijinks in their efforts to prove the opposite.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

no solution will be adequate until it can run Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits :getin:

Good God (no pun intended), that's complex for the sake of being complex.

(I would love to see it rendered in a 3d space though.)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

change my name posted:

Well yes, that's how even my smart characters usually end up shaking out anyways so why not cut out the middleman and go there from the start

(She's a Red Sonya knockoff who's great at beating people up but pretty much an oaf otherwise)

If you want to eke out the most optimal set of stats, I think you dump int and cha, not wis.

https://www.dungeonsolvers.com/2019/09/06/common-saving-throw-abilities/

(I don't think it matters if you have a fully realised character in mind)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Before I started the campaign with my terrible spy/snake out of water/snaker in strange land character, I thought of playing a bad that was basically a twitch streamer.

I wonder how I could do that mechanically? Maybe chat is the spirits of the dead trying to help/hurt the character.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pussy Quipped posted:

I DM a long running campaign, the players are level 14 and are now plane hopping around. They have a week of downtime in Bytopia and the tortle Bard/Barbarian gave me this for his downtime activity

I need to fill this thing up, so give me your best extraplanar pit fighter and/or wrestler ideas!

The "Manly Man" Randall Wildman needs to make an appearance!

He just recently got back from Avernus, and he's hankerin' for a spankerin'.

He's level 14 (or thereabouts) as well, actually.

He's a great weapon master bear totem barbarian (or bearbarian, if you wheel), who utilizes the "gnomish folding greataxe" aka a steel chair.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 24, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

I've had long, long conversations with my DM before Conjure Animals showed up at the table the other week. Part of it is that we're just both like that, but part of it is we've both seen both ends of the spell - it can be really worthless if you have no control over what you're summoning, but the inverse where the player reliably spams 8 flyby attacks worth of giant owls every turn is absurd, and more critically, it bogs down combat or requires the DM throw something with AOE into every major combat that might swing balance a lot. We also wanted variety, and figured creating tables of what gets summoned at the drop of a hat in combat seemed fun, so we made tables of the 8/4/2/1 thing that the spell would summon for the area where the campaign takes place, including some stuff out of 3rd party supplements. There's an agreement that '8 is too many', even if the initial role spawned 4 black bears - which have multiattack, and did their job pretty well. We also don't roll initiative, and instead use initiative immediately following the summoner's, for balance and bookkeeping sanity. It felt powerful, but no more than the fireballs the sorcerer has been throwing around, or the hypnotic patterns of a bard landing and taking out half an encounter.

Tl;dr this spell needs to be talked through.

Please tell me that the dire chicken had "Peck Tactics" as a passive ability.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That doesn't sound too bad.

The optional features like Deft Explorer and Favored Foe seem pretty great, if not necessary.

Just looking at it again I think I'd go Horizon Walker. The idea of teleporting and slashing at foes sounds very cool. I think I get how the class is structured where you buff yourself with one of several concentration spells (that you can lose if you get hit, so the class is geared for ranged combat). Preferably I would multi-class into fighter to take up both Dueling and Archery, mainly because a ranged Horizon Walker doesn't read as effective, or again I could be missing something and it's just as effective if not more so.

Are there any feats that buff your Concentration?

I'm running a gloom stalker currently, and that subclass seems very powerful. Dread Ambusher is a hell of an ability to get at level 3.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thats what I did with my conquest paladin. ON YOUR FEET, SOLDIER!

My 4e Warlord did a lot of this with far saltier language.

To be fair, he was a (salt)Water Genasi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Arivia posted:

did he taste like toffee when monsters ate him

He was never eaten, sadly. No purple worm encounters during the campaign.