Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If every video game rpg in existence can use Dex as a damage stat then D&D can too, grognards gonna grog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Are there any good resources out there for the Shadowfell? I looking to spice up a Curse of Strahd game and towards the end there are some connections to the Shadowfell I hope to follow up on but I realized I have no actual idea what going there actually entails.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tetracube posted:

there's a 4e book about it, although a lot of it is stuff specific to that setting

I really wish we had some sort of "Guide to the (Inner/Outer) Planes" book since I constantly want to DM stuff in extraplanar settings but run into a complete lack of material for them in 5e

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You have a classic case of "lovely GM" and I'm sorry but it is terminal. Probably.

Reminds me of the GM that ran Strahd in my group. I tried to Detect Evil with my Paladin to determine if these two creepy kids asking us to go into the house to rescue someone were evil. "Dude, your evil radar just goes off everywhere because this whole world is evil." Yeah sure thanks, I'll just erase 50% of the abilities I get at level 1.

BattleMaster posted:

Which is stupid because most NPCs in Curse of Strahd are non-evil and the creepy kids are (spoiler?) lawful good in any case

This is not how Detect Evil works at all

quote:

1st-level divination

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

For the duration, you know if there is an aberration, celestial, elemental, fey, fiend, or undead within 30 feet of you, as well as where the creature is located. Similarly, you know if there is a place or object within 30 feet of you that has been magically consecrated or desecrated.

The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

https://www.5esrd.com/spellcasting/all-spells/d/detect-evil-and-good/

The Divine Sense feature for Paladins also has the same wording

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That's what it was, I was trying to determine if they were ghosts or similar, without touching them. That was 3 years ago, I can't remember everything!

In that case he was even dumber for not even pretending to know what the spell description actually says plus he wasn't even hiding anything anyway since they are illusions, not ghosts

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Been a while since I looked at dnd stuff but ive got the itch again and have some questions:

-Is Dungeon of the Mad Mage any good?
-Is Descent into Avernus any good?
-Is it worth it to pick up the Eberron setting guide?
-Did they ever figure out Psionics?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im looking to get back into d&d because I own all the physical books aside from the setting books and the adventure books and its what my friends play or have played in the past. Plus I played through some of the BG3 early access and that renewed my interest in playing some tabletop games.

I have experience with other rpgs but they're both a harder sell for my potential playgroup and I'm more interested in the class based dungeon crawler thing dnd has going on than say World of Darkness or Call of Cthulu political or investigative gameplay.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 18, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I must admit, 90% of my interest in psionics is related the Dark Sun setting

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Whats up with these Acquisitions Inc. and Rick & Morty books? Are they actual supplements with decent extra stuff or are they mostly full of bad memes like im expecting?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The only two things on my d&d 5e wishlist are Dark Sun and Planescape campaign setting books. I literally dont care about anything else.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

KingKalamari posted:

Theatre of the Mind in D&D is one of those things that's always been technically possible, it's just not directly supported by the game. It requires a lot of DM fiat and discarding a bunch of game mechanics.

That's not to say I'm opposed to TotM combat, I'd honestly like to see a future release actually try to tackle even a baseline system for TotM. I mean, they could pretty much just use the one 13th Age has.

WFRP 3e had this thing where rather than occupying spaces you occupied a series concentric of rings around an enemy starting with 'close range' and ending with 'long range', I don't remember how it handled multiple enemies but I imagine something like that could be adapted for TotM D&D stuff

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think if you wanted to have even semi-realistic gun combat that works and is fun you would have to redesign the combat from the ground up with a greater emphasis on cover and suppressing fire or massed fire to make up for the inherent inaccuracy of firearms depending on the specific era of gunpowder combat you are looking to emulate.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SkySteak posted:

Also as vaguely gun related side note, already I have experienced the odd phenomenon wherein upon suggesting what is essentially a more powerful but expensive/slow firing crossbow, people will casually suggest for it to have checks to maintain, checks to create its ammo, or Pathfinder Gunslinger style missfire chance. I don't know what it is about it but the idea of someone having a slightly more powerful crossbow seems to have to be this deep commitment which you invest entire quests into.

I think people just have this scene (and others like it) stuck in their head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKrmDLvijo

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Speaking of the monk, I was a bit surprised that while the fighter, rogue and sorcerer are getting psionic subclasses, the monk isnt despite being perfect for it. Just seems kinda weird.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Syrinxx posted:

New UA, a dragon themed monk and a ranger with a drake pet :3:

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/UA2020_102620_Subclasses05.pdf

I'm down for more dragon themed subclasses, don't know how good these are at a glance but they're already more conceptually interesting than most of the other monk and ranger subclasses

I am crossing my fingers for a Draconic Warlock patron though

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Maybe its for a source book rather than a setting?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is it worth getting Curse of Strahd Revamped if I already own the original? I heard they toned down some of the weird racism in it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Apparently there was a big leak of info for Tasha's

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/jjhlq3/complied_info_from_the_tashas_leak

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
D&D has enough trap options and subclasses/spells/feats that are total stinkers that I read optimization guides mostly to avoid making something that is actively unfun to play

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

theironjef posted:

Optimal is anyone who has appended "lock" to their character's class in some way

Warlock

:smugbert:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Astarion in BG3 is making me hope we get vampire PCs at some point.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I wonder if you can get around the lack of magical gear in adventures by letting the PCs craft some themselves. There are some, admittedly pretty barebones, rules for it in Xanathar's that you could use as a framework for it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Thats why I always ask my DM if I can start with a Silvered weapon if I deduct the cost from my starting gold.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The basis for martial classes should be Greek heroes who were loaded down with magical artifacts or occasionally divine heritage that manifested more in a stabby way than a magicy way

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The thing about psionics is that they are integral to very popular d&d settings that people want to play around in and as long as thats true then psionics needs to be in the game in some form regardless of d&d's track record at implementing them.

Really Psions/Mystics should have been a core class from day one so that they could have been properly integrated and balanced with the existing classes rather than having psionics be something that is half-assedly tacked on afterwards. I also think you could have done a thing where Monks are the martial psionic class and Psions/Mystics are the caster psionics class.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Baku posted:

I disagree with the underlying notion that psionics even need to be a separate "power source" with completely separate mechanics or w/e from spellcasting, but I also wouldn't care if they cut one or both of the two different Charisma-based blaster mage classes in the PHB to make room for a Psion

The only problem I see with that is in Dark Sun where the fact that psionics is a separate power source is integral to the setting in ways that are difficult to untangle without the whole thing collapsing. Capital M Magic killed the world and, in searching for a replacement, capital P Psionics has come to replace it in everyday use for normal people.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I feel like people's wokebrains would be tickled a lot less if D&D gave up labelling what is clearly different species as "races". I know they inherited it from fantasy literature but that doesnt make it any less dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How are people feeling about the new Tasha's subclasses? I'm a bad judge of power level but both the new fighter subclasses are really interesting and thematically evocative. I hope I get a game where I can take either of them out for a spin soon.