Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

A Problem Like Jamal

Not sure how I feel about this comic yet. Seems like it might be a bit too Calvin crossed with Boondocks and the boys look like old men. I can see how it might grow on me, though.

Thanks for posting it. Hello new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I get more enjoyment out of Holbrook by just strapping in for the (incredibly stupid) ride rather than hate reading and that was a LOLWTF high point, personally

I hate all the dumb Dethany visual puns and avatar poo poo though, so I usually just skip them as they are incredibly obvious

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alterian posted:

Wouldn't she have realized years ago when she "did" the older one's genetic profile that they were related?

Only if she compared it to herself which would be weird, probably

I guess

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

The geneticist/wizard just discovered that her time-travelling friend is actually her daughter from the future.

this and also a hundred years of backstory that make that map of Primer look like a straight line

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

A Problem Like Jamal

These kids are proportioned like Calvin so I think they are <10 but they are in middle school.

Their geriatric faces are even harder to get past

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like the #lemonadelinda comic but look at the one where they are on the swings. Look at the first panel. They look like kids. The artist can draw non-ancient kids.

Lay off the detail, friend

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

I think Jamal's artwork gets a lot better when it switches to color versions permanently, which should be in a few strips.

I'll look forward to it, but even in the color strip with the lemonade stand the kid looks 90. The artist is clearly talented, it's just a very strange and off-putting character design.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

adults in luann are written like children, while actual children are expected to be mini-adults. it's hosed.

also, no one fucks

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kidcoelacanth posted:

How exactly does one trip on something approximately 1.5x their height

i suspect that the reader is not intended to take literally the apparent immensity of the footwear in the final panel

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is actually a decent, intelligible computoon but I'd bet money that Boyce is one of those people that thinks their cell phone signal or wifi comes from a satellite

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

csammis posted:

I remember seeing this strip in the papers when it ran :corsair:

:same:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is supposedly a MIDDLE SCHOOL child

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

Are you sure we're still getting preteen Alley Oop? Because this just looks like regular old Alley Oop to me, and I'm not really sure how middle school drama is supposed to be worked into a comic with a premise as straightforward as just punching dinosaurs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Allow me to raise this concern at this, the least appropriate time possible

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

Can he really, though? How's he going to stop an adult from leaving the house?

Even without a relationship of mutual respect, being a douchey hardass doesn't work if your adult son knows your attempts at grounding him have no teeth.

(Normally the teeth would be the threat of evicting him, but if Ed was going to do that he'd have done it a long time ago, considering how much he hates Dustin.)

I mean I agree that it's stupid but the teeth is "or stop living rent-free in my house, adult failson"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop

That sure is a coconut tree, yessir

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 16, 1997)

This is adorable

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

guestboob by Tedd Rall

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pastry of the Year posted:

Late high school. Gene is still sort-of dating Ruth.

I pegged him as late middle school.

Freshman in high school tops.

There haven't been any strips about him driving or anything like that, have there?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

HAHAHA! Potentially life-threatening medical conditions are funny!!!

I would actually enjoy a strip of Ed dying from narcoleptic apnea after all the poo poo he gives his son

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JethroMcB posted:

Brevity and wit and all that

Sure, true, but an ironic death would be more satisfying than him just being hit by a meteor or whatever

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samovar posted:

Another thumbs up for Jamal, here.

Same. I still don't love the art but it's clearly a choice, and an effortful one, unlike a lot of lazy boring poo poo itt

Thanks for posting it, goon who posts it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

Are the "heroes" of the strip about to fake-lynch someone?

I think they're trying to scare some sort of confession out of her and tape it? Or discredit her by outing her as a trans-rat, or something.

It's probably something even stupider

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I was going to make this if no one else had, so thanks for saving me the effort

Also: lmbo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why all the hiding the face and then just there it is

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
these are all good reasons and I accept them

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"light bill" is extremely common in a wide swath of America despite its inaccuracy!

(I say "electric bill" because I am a better person, though)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zereth posted:

How do you run a rabbit sanctuary in a world where you're not allowed to defend yourself against predators with weapons, just whatever your natural traits are?

Hire mercenary predators maybe?

All the problems solve themselves if you just dgaf though, really

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RandomPauI posted:

I'm willing to give Alley Oop the benefit of the doubt but it's not really doing it for me yet.

This post is exceedingly polite and NuOop is total garbage so far

I mean, keep posting it, but it's just terrible

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What newspaper is this printed in?

Not that I'm complaining

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

I was really sad to overshadow one of my favorite Wallace strips with that Jamal. Maybe I should have posted them separately.

It really is a great strip

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Arlo is mad because his kid disappeared for a few hours and he and his wife have been looking for him. So he's probably angry and frustrated in general and when he saw that Gene had been spending that time talking to a girl he had a crush on who is now pregnant he's worried that his kid is going to get in some sort of trouble. All of those feelings of being worried and frustrated just building up without outlet, he gets mad at Gene hoping that it will impress upon his son about how serious the situation is as he sees it.

In other words, it's very human and real.

And Gene's reaction is fantastic

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

While that is technically true, you do have to consider the risk of escalation.

Oh baby, you're not wrong

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I am disappointed that Jamal just looks sort of bored or jaded here. All those facial lines he's capable of and none of them showing grief.

It isn't a thousand yard stare or anything, it just looks like he is vaguely contemplating a shoe, like wondering how it's laced up or something

Maybe I am holding it to too high a standard because the artist is clearly putting in a lot of effort but Jamal has had like 900 face lines in other panels and somehow Arlo regularly shows more nuanced emotion with two lines and a dot

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fighting Trousers posted:

Can we pause in arguing about Jamal to all agree that Arlo and Janis is A Very Good Comic?
Yes, Arlo is fantastic

Ok, back to it

shortspecialbus posted:

Edit: ^^^^^^ the impact from that strip I think comes more from the first time he sees his brother's shoes, they're HUGE, symbolizing how he views his brother. Now they're just empty shoes because he's gone. At least that's how I read it.

Maybe. The first time it just read as the same TEENAGERS HAVE BIG SHOES joke we've seen in Zits a thousand times already.

I will admit Jamal probably deserves a deeper reading than Zits, but in its short life I also think people may be giving it too much credit for having high-minded symbolic intent in every detail. At least for me, having only read what has been in this thread so far, I'd like to see more consistency before putting it on such a pedestal

Endless Mike posted:

I get what you're saying and I don't necessarily disagree, but also people process grief in different ways, and we're not getting any insight into what Jamal's thinking just yet.

This is fair, and I am giving it the benefit of the doubt and waiting to see how it plays out, I'm just not ready to gush yet unlike some who I think may be in for a letdown if it doesn't live up to the incredibly high expectations they seem to have for it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

computer angel posted:

Aside from the fact that I think the character design and colour palette in this strip is inexcusable,

And they've done the silhouette thing enough times now that they should probably realize all it does is highlight the atrocious character design

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Look at their hands. The idiot customer was trying to scan the box upside-down. The UPC isn't even on that side!!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shortspecialbus posted:

I guess if you've never worked retail, you've potentially never thought about the fact that the UPC needs to face the scanner. Most cashiers are pretty good about running it through with the correct orientation without having to look or take any time, so I can see how people could think it just needs to be passed near it and that's all that's needed.

I can't imagine getting to be an adult and not being curious enough to know what those zebra squares on literally every product you've ever bought are, even if you don't really care how cash registers work.

But I can accept that there are terminally incurious people out there because it is.... evident

Still, a good Retail strip because being left holding a box to reshelf after a customer has made an irrational scene is very retail

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Please no more I read ahead :smug: posts