Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
And in lew of any real contnt and in a pretty bad attempt to make up a OP that doesnt suck here is 38 minutes of glorious sounds from 2018 to enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pRjcbjQloM

Cant say 2018 sucked, it was actually... okay?

So welcome to the pit lane, pull up a race fuel barrel and poo poo talk all you want on all manner of topics that wont get you a fine from the Steward of this forum, while point anf laugh while others up and down the lane try to fix various broken cars or marvel at whatever amazing thing Mekilljoydamnit comes up with now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

She said yes

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Well that was fast. Didn't you meet her last year?

We nearly were a thing 12 years ago so not really :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Winding the long way back home. This has certainly been one hell of a trip to Canada and GG what a way to start a year.

(She's going to move to Australia. She doesnt like cold weather.... so wedding August and then..... actually I'm not sure how this importation of a Canadian works. Is there a immigration thread in SA somewhere?)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

Probably want to at least talk to a lawyer. You can get some really weird poo poo if you enter on the wrong visa to marry, for example, in the UK and Canada and as a commonwealth country, I'd suspect Aus would be similar.
This probably doesn't mean they need to do the whole process, but you want someone who actually knows what they are talking about rather than some internet expert.
Oh and the processing time is amazing, so get the ball rolling ASAP.

The actual marriage bit actually isnt a problem - I already have the correct visa. Advantage of living in a Commonwealth country.

Its the what comes after is going to be the problem. An expensive and time consuming problem that takes 26 months minimum. Were very well aware of the processing time :/

I was more hoping there was a thread thatll point us to someone who is recommended as an actual expert. And yeah I bet theres things that dont need lawyers but we should take care of or be aware of.

We are both more than just a bit aware this isnt a process you cant get wrong and its not easy.

One bit of advice we have been told is to keep chat via social media / chat services and call logs - Anything to prove an ongoing and serious relationship.THEN theres the four different visa types and fuuuuck what a minefield

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Haven't felt the same thing with the fiancee's Outback. It's a CVT, but it does fake gearing too.

I'll presume a latter year model as the programming is better in latter versions. Subaru has curently three distinct CVT hardware versions and I think now 4 program versions for CVT control. Basically the more powerful the car is, the better Subaru CVT's behave.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh god a NA 4 banger CVT Subaru. gently caress that nope

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

If you care about your animals pet insurance isn't a terrible idea. We were able to proceed with an amputation surgery on our late Doberman a few days after I was laid off in the summer of 2017 that had a $3k+ pricetag.

One of my cats last June got a fairly nasty head injury that cost 2K - and it could have been much bigger as the vet wanted to do MRI's and things like that. I refused because 6K was just unaffordable immediatly. Thankfully he made a good recovery.

It's absurd even having a companion animal is getting unaffordable.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

That reddit sourced Subaru dealer crashed my car story is a case of Pics or it didnt happen. What a load of crap

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So.... basically an rear end in a top hat with a blog that quotes what appears to be a pretty poor study. Yeah nah.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Prong Song posted:

...are you objecting to the source, or are you actually trying to say that more people living in an area doesn't drive up rental prices?

Source. Of course more people in an area drive up prices. California has the jobs so of course more people are going there.

However as pointed out it ain't those that would be blocked by a wall causing the problem. And isn't it the case that there is a net migration from shithouse red states to the big blue ones because of the jobs and in general the big blue states aren't backwater shitholes? Good luck stopping that.

Let alone anything I've read said there's basically fuckall NET migration going on from Mexico to the USA. It's even reversed lately at times.

Let alone cries about "California being sanctuary state!!! It's all dem illegals fault!!!" is in fact a racist dogwhistle. Example - the current racist in chief blowing as loving hard on said dogwhistle as he can.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I think those numbers of % overstayers are low. I've seen 60% as a fairly well researched number. The thing about circular flow was a pretty drat good interesting point tho.....

Australia has a natural border wall (A loving big ocean) and thatt hasnt done a thing to stop illegal stayers. As much as the racist pricks in the conservative side of politcs (wow.. Funny how conservative politcs tend to be racist) makes a godawful huge issue of boat arrivals (and remember, NOONE who arrives and claims asylum is an illegal immigrant, this is a legal border crossing), 98% of all illegals arrive by air. And it is dead easy to do and frankly cheap these days.

So if a country with the most effective natural wall border cant stop people then how the gently caress is Trump's stupid garbage going to?

And note above, as much as the conservative side of politcs says otherwise and they counts them as illegal entrants, NO ONE who crosses a border and claims asylum is an illegal. NO ONE. Any country that is a signature to the refugee convention, this is a legal way to enter the country and stay while being processed. Oh and from the studies I've seen, 96% of all people who claim asylum are genuine refugees.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

That's part of the magic. They don't stick out. They don't increase your heart rate when you see them, or when you first drive them. But then, over time, you notice that they do everything well. Not perfectly, but really, really well. And there are no compromises. And the lack of compromises is what grows on you, as you have a car that does everything you want it to, without wanting anything other than basic maintenance.

I i have been in two Lexus - the first one was a LS430 and it was by far the most competent and well built car I'd been in up till that time, BMW's and Mercs included. I *completely* get wat you say with that car.

The other is a IS200 manual which was a right loving hoot to drive and again, just so well put together. Honestly one of my favorite cars to throw around.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

I want to buy a Mitsubishi Sigma and turn it into a drift/burnouts pig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm9oLzLwwDs

Dont think they would make good drift cars but burnout pig? Absolutly!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JFC literal Big Macs

quote:

Like, what is the point of satire anymore.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 15, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Dude. Obama got poo poo for using Dijon mustard. If he tried anything like that, there'd be non-stop Fox News articles about how he was tarnishing the reputation of the White House.
And its pretty easy if you're tired of the hate. Protip: Pick the side that doesn't support a monster trying to support Nazis and roll back civil rights at every turn.

Let alone the evidence turning up The Orange turd and his poo poo political party is compromised by Russia.

You put the issue quite well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Good luck UK goons. Looks like it's gonna be full train wreck Brexit

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

STR posted:

It was the 1990s.

Doesnt matter. Even then the courts were ruling NDA's of that length were not enforceable. 6 months was about the most they could get away with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

FAO: CAT INTERCEPTOR (and anyone else who's seen the previous 2 of these rad as gently caress films)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsSPMDe_YWY

WITH A BOOK. WITH A MOTHER loving BOOK

If you aint seen John Wick 1 or 2 you are missing out on two of the legit best action movies ever

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Same. 2 was... not great. But it did setup 3 nicely. So we'll see.

Nah the second is indeed nearly as good as the first and if anything the visuals and world building are far better. The second does have two things wrong tho the first doesnt -

1) The emotional hook. Wick himself is a REALLY bad man. This is a guy who the underground fears, who has no problem murdering every mother fucker in sight in any gruesome way he can. In a normal movie he would be the ultimate Boss level for the protagonist to dispose of - but in the orginal, we get a glimpse he genuinely wanted out, that he is redeemable and more over, when that dog gets killed the audience wants this otherwise terrible person to rain unholy hell on the Russians. It's a simple setup but drat effective. JW2 really is leaning somewhat on the motivations of JW1 so we're not as fully emotionally invested in the murder spree. That does make a hell of a difference to how we see JW1 and JW2 - we have a real connection to John in 1, we .... kinda dont in 2. Do we really care if he murders nameless gangsta no 287 in 2? No. I think we only really reconnect with John too late when he blows Santino's brains all over the carpet. I dont think the audience connection issue will be there in JW3, we all want him to murder the High Table.

2) JW2 was no longer a surprise. It's a drat good film but it lacks the "HOLY poo poo WHAT THE gently caress DID I WATCH???" of JW1. JW1 came from absolutly nowhere - there were not a hint this masterpiece of revenge was coming and thence when it hit the circuits everyone is WHOA what the gently caress!!!!! That makes a big difference to how you do appreciate JW1. I personally had simply heard that JW1 was something I needed to watch (I think I might have seen a bit of the Red Circle throwdown online), watched it without knowing a drat thing and was gobsmacked. JW2 just doesnt have that surprise factor and despite how good JW2 is - and I think it's a techinally better movie visually - we're not quite as involved.

I dont think JW3 is going to quite have the audience involvement problem of JW3 - We absolutly want him to headshot every mother fucker that comes after him. That hook was superbly done in the last five minutes of JW2

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that reminds me.... need to change my will to reflect the new SO

And 12 year old kid.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

It's up to the manufacturer to make their cars drive how they want them to.

And there's the problem.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

Mrs and I just watched a double header of BluRays. The Predator and Venom.

Holy poo poo, those were 2 of the worst movies I've seen back to back in some time. At least The Predator was playing along and had some fun but man, what a couple of stinkers.

I thought Venom was watchable at least - Ready Player One I only got halfway before throwing out the USB stick it was on. I'ld have smashed said stick but that would have been a hard thing to explain on an aircraft - that movie is dogshit in every way possible. No, constant references to other poo poo dont make the movie good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh poo poo yeaaaaaah thats some genuine Internet museum piece there

edit gently caress 19 years ago????

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 21, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

freelop posted:

Got myself a deglover today

Congrats / condolances

I get the real one in August

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So whats that word I'm searcing for that describes having fits of laughter at President Pissbaby and all the chuds meting down?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Prong Song posted:

You act like this hasn't happened every year for the past decade whenever one side or the other wanted some pork barrel spending for their pet project.

The present shutdown happened because President Pissbrains got butthurt some old cranky lady got nasty on Twitter at him.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Been out with Invasion Day protests. Way bigger that i expected

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

The AU was misunderstood and was the platform for one of the best Falcons, the BA

The AU was and still is a loving turd and they ripped out most of the guts to make the BA.

Like I know south of the border can be wrong about a lot of things but come on, there's no defending the AU. It is busted rear end in a top hat ughly, it had the quality control of a loving FWD Capri, it didnt turn, it sure as gently caress didnt stop, the auto was so antiquated the original Henry Ford would have recognised it, it's rear end basically never even got CLOSE to agreeig with the front what to do over bumps or corners, head gasket issues (LOL for fucks sake a motor with a linage that old should have ANYTHING like that, even Subaru would be embarrassed), truuly godawful fuel economy, oil leaks by the dozen, noisy... It single handed destroyed the Falcon's then considerable sales lead to the Commodore.

They had to do two re-engineers to make it even half acceptible (at least the AIU III was somewhere vaguely in the ballpark of what had become a decent car in the VY Commdore) and the BA might be fifth gen platform but you sure as gently caress wouldnt know it driving them and how dramatic THAT re-engineer was.

THe AU Falcon was the Tony Abbott of the Ford product range frankly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not bothered in the slightest by degloving potential. I always wear gloves when working on anything even close to being a hazard anyway.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's only one other thread around these parts besides this one where you can get "how much actual piss do you want on your, y'know, everything" chat AND possible hot cuck action chat on the same page, and that's TRUMP!

AI - the one car forum where anyone can be black, white, Asian, dog, cat, Furry, Gay, straight, Bi, lesbian, transgender, poly or whatever and no one blinks an eye. But even THINK about being racist and you get roadhauled and dumped out the back a bloodied mess

Anyone actually step back and think just how unusual that is? You'll a pretty decent bunch even if you do entertain dropping V8's into Mazdas.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

That's...not how it works. That's not how any relationship works.

Thats exactly how most relationships should work actually. Its not about physical or as an object its about living life together. That should and does take a lot of time and energy even if you are having a long distance one like mine is right now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Two of the right people feels like so much less work than one of the wrong people. This relationship thing we've all got going is a literal joy 95% of the time, and the other 5% is a heart to heart we all come out of feeling good.

Please note, I am not being critical of you when I said that. If you can make a poly relationship work, that's actually pretty awesome.

quote:

Two of the right people feels like so much less work than one of the wrong people

Yeah given the wreckage of my last relationship that was completely wrong from the get out that I stuck with because *reasons* that statement I can completely comprehend.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I've used a couple of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, and I found I was missing the feeling and the control of my old Minolta. I guess I learned on that camera and the muscle memory never went away. I bought another one for 1/10th the price of a high quality digital camera, and I never have to worry about my sensor not being good enough. I can just get a different roll of film.

The sensor is always good enough - Digital passed film in ability 15 years ago and lapped it 4 times since. Your phone will rip film a new rear end in a top hat quality and ability-wise.

The only valid reason for film these days is to learn and thats a good reason. Everyone interested in photography needs to be grounded in the basics and film being uncompromising teaches them fast. Developing film also grounds in what Lightroom is to digital. The old Pentax gets used now and then but its only because ... why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

To be fair, I'd quoted the cellphone camera blowing away film part of the post

Have you seen what cell phones are capable of doing these days? It's not just about the sensor anymore. Computational photography is pushing cell phones well beyond what their pissy sensor should be capable of - eg all that HDR computational photography with noise reduction is now allowing cell phones to match or exceed what my Canon 1D can do in low light. And THAT is the kind of camera that no 35mm camera can touch.

That kind of computational photography is beginning to get into MFT cameras with remarkable results and it'll filter into FF soon enough... and THAT is going to be something to see. Computational photography with a full frame is going to be astounding the kind of shots you could pull off with impeccable quality.

No, cell phones cant do action. But my needs aren't what the typical phone camera is asked to do.

So yes - That device in your pocket has the ability to go beyond what film can be used in successfully and most certainly can do better than film even if you use it for huge prints.