Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I fat fingered my vote and never changed it. The chat thread is one of the few I go to and I love all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I've spent all weekend moving into my new place and having to buy a sectional and putting everything together has been exhausting but I've been at least able to watch the games.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I have had to go from never looking at the weather forecast to checking it each morning after moving somewhere that actually has weather and not just hot and not as hot. Especially dealing with snow has been the biggest change

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I left work early so I could make a 600 mile drive back home and work the rest of the week there.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks to everyone talking about the Patreon as I went ahead and signed up for it. I've been going to this site forever it seems and would hate for it to not be around.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Idk if you guys remember awhile back when I talked about a ridiculous kitchen I did for one of the architects that gives us a shitload of business? You guys interested in peeping it?

Of course!

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

swickles posted:

Do I need to know anything about Pokemon to enjoy Detective Pikachu? My pokemon knowledge is entirely superficial, but I don't want to go and be lost.

To be honest they explain the ones that you need to know and the others are more there for fans to go oh look it's that Pokemon. Go have a good time and relax as you need some time to turn the brain off.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Boys time to get some more drinks in thanks to the Pelicans winning the lottery!!!

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Helping my dad move some of his stuff out of his old apartment as he has moved in with me then John Wick 3 and finish up with boxing.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

John Wick 3 is so good, if you are on the fence just go and be entertained.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also John wick 3 ending question

so do you think Winston turned villain or is this just like fifth dimensional chess

I believe fifth dimensional chess. He has been around long enough to know that the only way to properly kill someone is in the head and didn't shoot once there especially as close range as it was. I assume it was done as Winston knows the only true way to win is for John to tear the entire establishment down but will need his help to do it

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The whole shootout scene with the dogs is just so amazing in 3, I was ready for a whole movie of them just running around taking people out.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Not only that but the ultra ambiguous “well played” leaves enough room for the fourth twist

Great movie though. Keanu’s action versus Halle Berry is so night and day - you can tell he actually knows the moves

I think that's why it was smart to have the dogs with her as I know I was focused on them anytime they showed up.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Is it weird how foreign the thought of making 6 figures sounds? Maybe it is just me from where I came from, I am on a track to try and get to that point but it's just wild to sit and think about in that regard.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Don’t let Instagram fool you it’s still a lot of work to get there, consistently. There are some jobs like sales you can kill a few years but the consistent 6 figure is still something to strive for within reach and expect to take a fair amount of effort ya know.

Well I don't look at Instagram but I know what you mean. I put in a lot of time and effort at my previous job and went from $9 an hour to making 50k a year and then moved on to a different company in the same industry for a good raise and a new title. But being from a small town in Northeast Louisiana it has been a lot to get to that point and not working construction or any oil based job.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Neil Armbong posted:

Work your rear end of in the right industry and you can get there. Def feels surreal the first time you hit it.

I actually moved almost 1000 miles for a step up and possible huge money potential down the road so working hard has been what I've had to do since I started 8 years ago in this industry.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

Why wouldn't you

Nothing against it, I just like helping people and dealing with people (most of the time). So I've always gravitated towards customer service oriented jobs but also sometimes jobs that paid better than minimum wage while trying to figure out how being an adult works. It's why I can say I was a zookeeper then a cable technician once upon a time.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

My dad's side of the family is from Shreveport :unsmith:

Also, that's a hell of an accomplishment. I'm glad for you, goon brother

Shreveport is about 2 1/2 hours from where I used to live. If you wanted to go to a "big" city, that was the closest.

I don't normally post too much but follow every day. I am trying to post more since this is my favorite online community. I appreciate the kind words as well, I am just trying to secure myself and my son so that he can grow up better than I did.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Neil Armbong posted:

Nice, man. I work in a field totally unrelated to my degree and my first post-college job was a $10 an hour 1099 gig before moving over to a salaried position with benefits a year later.

Have hustled for the last decade and now make $100k more than my first salary, so it's possible. Keep up the good work, dude.

Thanks for the words of encouragement as it is something I do want to be able to see in the next few years.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

I am driving past Tallulah right now.

First of all my condolences on having to drive that area even though I've seen you make references to I-20 in a few of your posts. If I was still living there I would say let me buy you a drink but I moved back in December to Louisville KY.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

When I moved to Louisville, I decided to check out the Triple A team and even though I'm not a huge fan of baseball, it has been the perfect way to unwind from the stress of work. I actually bought season tickets and it's been great.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Just got out of Godzilla, if giant monsters beating the hell out of each other is your thing, then you won't be disappointed. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first as I felt the first one was much higher quality in terms of set pieces and the way it was shot.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

In my last performance review I basically set an ultimatum, I needed a significant raise this year or I was gonna bail. After almost 15 years at this company, my salary is lagging well behind similarly-experienced people who jump jobs every 5 years because that's the opportunity you generally get to bump up salary.

Anyway we had layoffs and cuts but I just got the news: promotion, and an 18% raise. Woohoo

Very nice! Congrats on that big pay bump

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Spo and anyone else that has any advice:

My dad had an 18 wheeler go into his lane and hit my car last Friday. Thankfully the car isn't too banged up and he only has a muscle strain outside of the psychological damage it has done to him. The 18 wheeler didn't stop and my dad was able to call 911 and give them the trailer license and then they had him pull over and wait for a sheriff to talk to him. We were given the accident report number and waiting for it to be posted on their website so we can view it. I've already called a lawyer and one of the things they asked was if the sheriff's found and pulled the truck over which we have no clue about, they also asked if I had insurance that covered uninsured motorist or underinsured which I do and was like oh well we could go after yours on your dad's behalf. That seemed really shady to me but this firm is highly rated and had great reviews.

I guess my question is, should I call my insurance to go ahead and start getting the car fixed or wait until the police report is viewable and see how a lawyer wants to handle it?

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Your father's insurance will decline coverage as you have collision coverage and the flowchart of "whose coverage do we use" goes car, then driver.

There's nothing an attorney will do on this file that a claims rep wont do for free, unless your father was seriously injured/things seem hinky, then you can drop the lawyer

Your options are have your insurance fix the car or wait until your insurance gets the police report and try to go through his insurance. The UM coverage is an avenue to get the deductible waived and to get his injuries covered by your insurance, fault free.

I don't know about other states but in CA, merely using your insurance without fault does not increase rates.

Thank you for the help, I guess I'll also add that yes he's a little banged up but isn't anything too major more than mentally he doesn't want to drive and I wasn't sure with the hit and run nature of it if a lawyer was needed

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Yeah like I said unless things go sideways you dont inherently need a lawyer for it. You can always lawyer up later and save fees

Thank you so much for the help!

Leper, I know you posted about it as well so thank you as well.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I keep thinking about getting a portable game console for my commute. Anyone have any thoughts on the current generation? I haven’t owned one since the original gameboy.

Do you also want the ability to play on a big screen if you want? If so the Switch will be the way to go. They get a lot of indie games that are on PC and other consoles plus all of the Nintendo titles which are only available for it. You could also go with 3DS if you wanted to have a larger library available to you and cheaper than the Switch.

From there the other choices are either a phone/tablet that you put ROMs and emulators on which is a whole different discussion or the Vita but it is dead and depending on how you feel about niche Japanese games then I would stay away from it.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Today's my birthday

26 years on this stupid planet, yaaaaaay

Happy Birthday!

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The local minor league baseball team is playing right now and it's killing me not to be there on such a beautiful day. Sadly we are super short handed at work so can't sneak away

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

what's your guys' idea of a perfect or near perfect movie

L.A. Confidential

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Has anyone ever professionally taken a step back before and any suggestions on how to mentally handle it? Unfortunately things are not working out at the job I have and have the opportunity to cut back on my work time and responsibilities which will give me a lot more time to spend with my son. I am taking a pay cut but it's still plenty to live the way I have on the pay I have been receiving.

My biggest concern is going from a position of management to punching a clock and it not driving me insane as obviously I am used to having a lot more on my plate

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

So I put in my notice Monday and told my boss yesterday my official last day is the 11th to help tie up some loose ends. Feels nice to get away from a place that has a bad environment and people that will stab people in the back constantly.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

yeah. I might have a monopoly on lovely stuff I used to think was cool.

does anyone want to borrow my signed copy of a Jerry Falwell biography?

how about my P.O.D discography?

I also have the christian dating book, "I kissed dating goodbye" which taught me that I was never allowed to be alone with my girlfriend until my wedding night

Ehud,

I had a similar upbringing, not as crazy as yours but a lot of the things you talk about I recognize and understand. The biggest thing is what you talked about which was growing as a person. I look back at how I was in high school and even 6 years ago and it amazes me how I thought back then. So you aren't alone and you are one of my favorites to keep up with.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Intruder posted:

Does anyone else see these clickbait ads with an attractive woman in them?

Are they calling you M'lord?

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Oh well thank god, an ultimate team I might be able to make.

Also, central time zone is the best zone. I don’t know how people do it in the EST.

I moved from Central Time zone to Eastern and it is easily the worst. It is really my only complaint moving.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Heading to the office for the last time. It is a good feeling and feels like a weight has been lifted off me

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:hfive:

Exit interview at 11:00 for me, then I'm out of this place for good.

Hell yeah man, I don't expect to have an exit interview just because the business I work for isn't that big but I'm trying to decide when I want to leave. Part of me just wants to not come back when I usually take lunch but trying to decide how much I actually want to finish up on today.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Down to the last hour and then I can roll out of here. I've finished moving some calls around and updating notes. Just going to hang loose now and pack up my stuff

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Since my new job will be working at the house I get to grow my hair and beard out for the first time in almost a year. I am pretty excited and just going to go with a mountain man look for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Getting ready to fly back home, I have orientation for my new job this week but also have 2 grandparents that are at the end of their lives so should be a crazy week. Thankfully I know the job and it's more of learning how this company uses their Help desk software so I'm not worried about it. But waking up at 3 am is for the birds.