Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Midjack posted:

do you suppose anyone visits?

not more than once anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

all I wanted for Christmas was number below 3k

why don’t you love me Jesus :(

have you ever said bcash? if so then bitcoin jesus will cast you into hell

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

hey it wasn't a "hack" this time

they're "lost" because the "founder" "died"

and now the coins are moving, clearly the work of a ghost

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

so the world economy collapses and all money turns to ash...how do people get bitcoin? this is the thing i don't understand, it isn't like you have the holders then all the other bitcoins are just floating in the aether waiting to get picked up, all bitcoins belong to someone. in this scenario who in their right mind would accept a bucket of money dust for precious precious bitcoins.

idk they way some of them talk it seems like the economy would be the same now but only in bitcoins and they own a large percentage of itmy brain is melting tryig to understand themhlpme

they seem to talk as if the economy will completely collapse and nobody will have a job, since all their fantasies have nocoiners able to do nothing but worship at the feet of hodlers in the hope of getting some scraps

i guess if you're a former bankster with a billion now-worthless fiat dollars, and you find someone in the rubble with a satellite phone to connect to the bitcoin satellites, you can trade your dollars for use as fuel in exchange for a satoshi or two

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

if everyone is dead and the world is on fire what is the use of bitcoin

hodl. cockroaches massively outnumber humans, and once they start adopting bitcoin, it'll go way past the moon

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

all the smartphones melted and the cockroaches hands are too tiny to do smoke signals properly

like all alleged problems with bitcoin, the lightning network will solve it. no, don't ask me how.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Soricidus posted:

it's a very strange scenario they're envisaging, where society and government completely collapse overnight and everyone reacts by adopting the nap so the bitcoiners can safely lord it over starving men with guns who have nothing left to lose

They pulled me out the door, it was up three floors, and basically drug me down the stairs on my back. It hurt really bad and I remember yelling "you're breaking the NAP" and things like that. "Stop initiating force against me." Then they kicked me around on the ground in the hallway, before they took my camera and threw me outside. I was crying and stuff, I just sat there. I was in shock because it was so sudden. Looking back there were warning signs though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

the other problem with lending bitcoin is that since it's a pure speculative asset rather than a proper currency the price isn't remotely stable.

if i want to borrow 10btc for a year and actually spend it rather than hodl, if there's a new bubble i'm screwed because my repayments are now gigantic (in reality i'll just default). on the other hand, if there's a crash the bank is screwed because they basically handed me a bunch of free money. so neither side would actually want to risk doing the loan.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

remember that time there was a few hours in between blocks?

a few hours is not "a single second" so bitcoin has never had a single second of downtime

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

but his company was crushed by the cruel bitlicence

if he threw out his law books when the company was crushed, a new dumpster lawyer can rise again from the trash

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

i'd say "bcash" then slip past while the guards fight each other about the true name of satoshi's holy coin

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Amethyst posted:

I have a coiner harrassing me about BAT.

has anyone commited any thought to this scheme? it seems like they have their heart in the right place but i don't understand why blockchain is neceassary at all. Why couldn't they just use fiat?

the "get paid to watch adverts" scheme was done in the first dotcom bubble (except without the cryptomarbles). turns out that "people willing to run a script to fake clicks on 20 copies of their web browser to collect penny shavings" isn't a hot demographic that advertisers will pay big money for access to

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

"the money isn't lost, the thieves still have it"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

remember exchanges weren't in the white paper, they're just a strange temporary thing that won't exist post hypercoinization

after hypercoinization has turned our bodies into bitcoins, exchanges will be the equivalent of cities

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Erenthal posted:

this is so stupid and roundabout that it makes my head hurt

so it must be good for bitcoin

someone actually got past making the wiki for this, it exists and it's called purse.io

what's missing from that guy's writeup is that sally stole the credit card from alice and wants to cash out

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

and then even though you can tell they just want you to die of a heart attack so they can politely leave, you keep telling them about bitcoin for the second half of the conversation

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Soricidus posted:

what if someone were to say buttcoin in a crowded public place, or indeed at all

If it was possible, someone would already have said buttcoin by now

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Krinkle posted:

is that a jack chick tract

yes, god now runs a swiss bank

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

a new challenger approaches

New Evidence Suggests Satoshi Nakamoto Is Paul Solotshi, The Creator of Encryption Software E4M and TrueCrypt

probably bollocks, and double bollocks because he has links to nakamoto dundee

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/patio11/status/1140857719441612800

i'm not sure exactly what's going on here but when it pops it's probably going to be spectacular

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

much like how plants resist cancer by not having a circulatory system, bitcoin resists the problems of captalism by not being used for useful transactions

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ben carson's theory was that the pyramids were built to store grain. a theory so dumb even donald trump was able to tear it to shreds

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

https://twitter.com/bitstein/status/1151586640307064833

A member of Congress called all the other coins like ethereum, tethers, etc 'shitcoins' in a hearing.

I wonder if they read your blog divabot?

you don't need to read divabot's blog to pick that up, it's a term used to refer to any cryptocurrency other than the real one, bitcoiin ultra dorians vision

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

the primary benefit of accepting bitcoin is that you no longer have to deal with bitcoiners yelling at you to accept bitcoin

:wrong:

someone on reddit ages ago accepted bitcoin on his online store and he still got yelled at to accept bitcoin (obviously none of those people actually bought anything when he pointed out he already did)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

typing is pe, crawling is engineering

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

storing medical data on the public apachechain

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

lmao yeah that's the part that stuck out to me too

i'm not sure if they had to integrate a price tracker because bitcoin price is so nonsensical that you need to constantly watch it, or they had to integrate a price tracker so bitcoiners can jack off to it

it's both, isn't it

i do think a lot of the "your car will mine carcoin to pay pedestrians to get out of your way and your fridge will mine fridgecoin to trick your washing machine into a ponzi scheme" futurism nonsense is driven by people who pretty much jack off to currency exchanges and assume that everyone else does too

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

heat isn't wasted if you can use it to dry out strawberries

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

"i should have bought more" i think as i take the last sheet of toilet paper off the roll

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

iirc when hans reiser was on trial for murder he decided to direct-examine himself since he'd obviously do better than his laywer who was an idiot who couldn't even write a filesystem

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

after hyperbitcoinization i won't have to buy bitcoin because my body will have turned into bitcoins

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

i didn't "shoot" the guy i just triggered an exothermic reaction! what, the _____ want to outlaw basic chemistry now?

yes, basic chemistry is now illegal. men with exothermic reactions will come and put you in a cage

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

why have good and services when you can have bitcoins?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

hurricane dorian nakamoto

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah the idea was around for ages waiting for e-ink and/good batteries to be invented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

...! posted:

diydude2 4 points 2 days ago

Well, "Bitcoin will never go under $10K again" has been true for two weeks. It will remain true forever.

Even when said a month ago, Bitcoin didn't really go much under $10K and didn't stay there for long. 9.6 rounds up to 10.

When Bitcoin never goes under $10K again, will you admit that I know what I'm talking about?

bitcoin will never go under $10k again, starting now