Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
he got it eaten by a whale instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's literally the "attempted chemistry" thing but they're not trying to make a joke

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Visa moves like twenty billion on a slow day lol (that's billion with a b)

Even bit players like Discover move several orders of magnitude more than bitcoin

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

kw0134 posted:

trying to parse diydude's insane ramblings is like trying to examine the world of a delusional schizophrenic, except he probably doesn't have the excuse of severe mental illness

i wouldn't be so sure about that last part

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Boxturret posted:

its weird but that is an old gangster saying. its really old, i think al capone said it first in english but it has its roots in the old crime families in china

a chinese antique saying?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i wonder if the world's largest importer of soya (more than the rest of the world twice over) not being interested in american crops is going to impact the use of the american dollar to price it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
carolus clusius believed in tulips before most people, and look where that got him

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Endless Mike posted:

ol musky says bitcoin is a better way to transfer value, so get ready for an influx of bazingas

bazingas were the perfect mark for bitcoin scams long before this, lmao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
magic the gathering online exchangen

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
woz seems like a cool dude

lol at putting jack the nazi at the top of your list of "people you should agree with"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
rsi in his shoulder?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
that was before satoshi invented the concept of a soul so it doesn't count

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
dominique laffin at those bitcoins

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
jokes on them i was only pretending dot gif

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AlbieQuirky posted:

Hexadecember third?

that'd be quadradecember

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A lot of it is probably volume related. If you suspect that something's been paid to a mixer, you can look for transactions that look like the expected pay out from the mixer, and keep following from there. This works great for your average "mixer" that'll be used by maybe 8 people before the operator starts running off with everyone's money.

The silk road mixer was allegedly pretty good (while you could tell the money was dirty, apparently they couldn't actually tell which payout was for which particular crime), which is probably because it had enough volume to properly obscure things.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if it's only been used with the dealer plates you can sell it as high-milage new

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

poty posted:

does anyone know how to short bitcoin with 1000x leverage

it's really easy:

- take all the money you want to invest in this short
- light it on fire

(remember that if you're taking a leveraged position, the person running the exchange knows exactly what the price needs to be in order to force a margin call, and also knows exactly how deep the order book is and how much they need to throw around to move it that far. if you try it on an unregulated exchange with an anonymous operator, you deserve exactly what's going to happen to you.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
gdpr even has explicit exemptions to the right-to-be-forgotten that cover "compliance with a legal obligation which requires processing by Union or Member State law" (which covers most health data) and an even more specific one for "reasons of public interest in the area of public health"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The problem with toll payments is that there are too many competing incompatible systems.

We should create our own new standard, that's completely and fundamentally incompatible with all those other ones. And it should use bitcoin, for some reason.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you should place it in the garbis where it belongs, hth

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mr. Nice! posted:

so i noticed that bitfinex says tether is 74% backed by 2.1 bn in "cash and cash equivalents"

i wonder what the actual ration of cash/cryptocurrency is

you give me $100, and I write you an iou. then i spend the $100 on drugs and hookers, and i'm dead broke in general, so that iou isn't backed by anything.

but wait! i write another $100 iou, and just keep it for myself. now my ious are 50% backed by "cash equivalents"! there are no flaws in this brilliant scheme

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The actual filing has a pretty funny twist, if you can slog through it. It's page after page of "bitfinex are idiots, all we need for an injunction is for the judge to think that it's 'proper and expedient' in order to protect customers, here's the mountains of case law supporting that position".

And then once you get to page 19, there's a brief two pages of "btw even if we did have to prove that we would likely prevail at trial in order to get an injunction, we could do that easily since bitfinex have been lying through their teeth the whole time"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the perfect backpack for someone who has never used a backpack before or considered how heavy batteries are

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's like how indigestion means you have too much digestion going on

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
hmm, there are lots that end in "coin", but i can't actually think of any 7-letter ones that have "in" in the middle of the word.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Waddya mean we're not allowed to dip into client funds to make up the difference if our revenue doesn't cover our operating costs?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

...! posted:

Bitcoin’s killer app: real money, real time game ladders. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 6 hours ago by ianandris

So, just showerthinking over here, but imagine ladders with a crypto fee to enter where the winners actually walk away with money at the tourneys end instead of pride or ingame rewards.

The first big publisher to do this could spawn a legitimate industry. If you mom realized your gaming was paying rent, how much more likely would she be to let you play?

How much more would people improve with real money on the line? How many more games would they sell if people realized they could actually make a living off of playing?

Not to mention, if a game company did this, it would encourage its user base to adopt crypto which would set the entire industry on absolute fire.

Honestly, the whole concept could be probably accomplished with a DAO. Hell, I wonder if Bisq has an API functionality that would allow something like this. I’m imagining a GameSpy type service from the 90s that was needed since game companies didn’t realize how much money they could make by matchmaking natively.

imagine a world where you can get paid money for being good at video games.

truly, this guy is an unsurpassed visionary.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

...! posted:

unless i`m misunderstanding what you're getting at, that`s not that much of a problem. bitcoin`s code can be changed to add more decimal points. the only real difference is that real money can already do that whereas bitcoin would need a patch

it'd be easier to remove the 21M coin limit than it would be to allow splitting transactions even smaller.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
buttcoin thread 2019: You must be a very powerful video idea seller.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You just know that at least one of the programmers working on it is convinced that calling it a cryptocurrency will mean they don't need to care about money transmitter laws, and will be very upset when the lawyers tell them that they're totally wrong, and again when their boss tells them to listen to the lawyers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
boxturret is surprised because he thought he was one step closer to winning the bitcoin thread tontine

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

KnifeWrench posted:

that's a tauntaun. tontine is the national park just south of yellowstone

you're thinking of grand teton.

tontine is the british reporter that goes on comic book adventures filled with racist caricatures

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah looks like there's an RTL marker stuck in there somewhere.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly I'd suspect most of those "cash" transactions are just the owner hooking a buddy up with some free money.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

...! posted:

Can Americans control bitcoin's future (self.Bitcoin)
submitted an hour ago by jgarcya

My understanding is 4-8% of Americans invest in crypto.

4% of 300,000,000 Americans is 12 million.

If it is everyone of those 12 million goal to have at least one bitcoin... That's over 66% of all available bitcoin presently mined(17 million plus).

It's my goal to have one, but probably won't make it.

you know this guy's an american because the idea of being able to save a few thousand dollars to spend on something frivolous is just completely out of reach

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Paladinus posted:

Yes, as I said, it's like in America people in jails are 'employed', because there is 'nothing for them to do' in prison, and they participate in 'public work'.

Nah, it's actually more like the people at amazon warehouses are "employed", because there's "no other jobs" in that area and "everybody's gotta eat".

Which is to say, they're literally employed, but wage slavery still sucks

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

vortmax posted:

rhythm trading works about as well as the rhythm method

idiots try it, it appears to be working, and then they get completely blindsided the moment their luck runs out?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
people call me a grifter and a ghoul after i tried to profit from mass murder?

this must be an organized campaign against me and not anything to do with me trying to profit from mass murder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BMan posted:

I would like to try an impossible burger, but they don't exist in canada :shrug:

would you say that they're impossible to find