Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Pardot posted:

anything remotely related to bitcoin is dumb and anyone who thinks it is good is dumb and bad

hey, some people make their living on bitcoin. or it at least seems to give their life meaning

:gerard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

https://youtu.be/UQvy6lwRkAI

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

BobHoward posted:

same request except i haven't been keeping up with thraed since summer 2017

last laugh futures i remember were idiotic fights between chinese mining concerns and rear end in a top hat westerners over maximum block size, i guess that has developed into actual live forks? lmao

Here's a good laugh for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxbCHlXZ-0U

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

it's often said in jest on the internet, but that may literally be god's work.

what an inspiration

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

quote:

Digital stocks could hold advantages over traditional shares because they can be traded even when exchanges are closed, and traders can choose to buy fractions of a share. They could also give foreign investors the ability to buy and sell U.S. shares they might otherwise struggle to access.

Even though U.S. regulators oversee trading of DX’s initial roster of stocks, Chief Executive Officer Daniel Skowronski said he doesn’t need permission from the Americans to offer this service because DX doesn’t operate there. The company says it’s licensed by the Estonian Financial Intelligence Unit with full authorization to operate in the European Union.

MPS MarketPlace which is licensed by Cyprus’s financial regulator, will hold the stocks on behalf of the token owners and will keep them in a segregated account, Skowronski said. DX’s offering is compliant with Europe’s Mifid II directive, he said.

Yes, this doesn't seem like it's going to do something shady that brings down the wrath of the regulatory gods.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Comparing bitcoin to the internet is like comparing the concept of writing to cash for gold flyers.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Oh so it's a raccoon dick coffee table.

This changes everything!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

wouldn't there have to be something you could buy at a set exchange for bitcoins for it to be a currency? Like even in game currency in eve has digital goods denominated in it. is there anything that you can by in bitcoins exclusively, or at least not at the exchange value of bitcoins for usd, but in a set btc price alone?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

despite recent revelations in the bitcoin space i am going to continue to use dog dick coffee table because you simply can't drop coon cock coffee table into a sentence without also making sure that everyone knows you're using it as the shorthand for a raccoon, the animal, and in no other context, just for the alliteration.

procyonid peen coffee table

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Hammerite posted:

God help me I just went and GISed it and it looks nothing like a raccoon, except that it has a big poofy striped tail like a raccoon.

im sorry i guess im the only person here who knows new world mammals

a cacomistle is a procyonid, the same family as raccoons, native to central america, but not brazil

these are the things you need to know to get ahead in the crypto antiques business. next thing you know you'll tell me you don't know how to distinguish between a civet cock coffee table and a binturong bellend coffee table.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 6, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Hammerite posted:

I guess I missed that episode of Lovejoy

are you british or just really old, because mentioning lovejoy makes me wonder

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Hammerite posted:

British. I would have substituted an American equivalent to Lovejoy but I don't know one.

in america, we watch insufferable assholes grift hoarders out of their valuable poo poo. that is the equivalent

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

AlbieQuirky posted:

people just watch lovejoy on pbs

That was the "really old" part of my question

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

it's like there's some sort of trade off between security and usability that requires trust to overcome

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Weatherman posted:

how was it different? in his view, i mean

they all seem super salty about the fact that it wasn't a real hitman he was talking to, at of it changes the fact that his first instinct was to try and have someone murdered

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 7, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

https://youtu.be/9t2EQ3X_Qm8

fresh laughs ahoy

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

9 hours ago:

Bitcoin [BTC/USD] Technical Analysis: Bulls show no signs of leaving

4 hours ago:

Bitcoin (BTC) drops like a stone amid total cryptocurrency sell-off

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

20% of Bitcoin's daily trading volume generated by a single project

quote:

According to the recent research published by Forbes Crypto, about 20% of all Bitcoin transactions are generated by a project called VeriBlock. It is developed on top of Bitcoin blockchain with the aim to provide a more secure alternative to existing cryptocurrency networks.

VeriBlock is based on proof-of-proof (PoP) concept that functions as a supplemental consensus mechanism for blockchains integrated with VeriBlock.

Basically, it allows minor altcoin projects to avoid security issues related to low hash rate and relatively low reward for mining. Low hash rate may lead double spend issues and 51% attack - something that is happening with Ethereum Classic now.

VeriBlock claims to improve the security of altcoins by embedding their ledgers into Bitcoin blockchain and allowing them to piggyback on the massive hash rate of the Bitcoin network.

While the idea of making altcoins safer might look appealing, one would remember that it is done at the expense of Bitcoin users. VeriBlock operations overload the network and make Bitcoin transfers more expensive. Considering that Bitcoin is a permissionless system where anyone who is willing to pay can get their transactions into the blockchain, no one can stop VeriBlock from doing what they are doing.

The actual consequences of this activity are not clear at this stage, though the viability of the project and its effect on the Bitcoin network is worth tracking in months to come.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

im not actually sure i do now understand the power of crypto tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ozbzlyov7E

Such is the power of crypto. it's a pyramid scheme that tells you it's a pyramid scheme, and you still buy in

long live the new flesh

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

the rhythm method but for crypto

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/DaPholos...ingawful.com%2F

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

...! posted:

Keep dollar cost averaging. Keep HODLing,

Keep rationalizing why I haven't lost anything really if I sold in dollars, even though I don't intend to ever release these bitcoins and value them intrinsically, so why would I care about the price in dollars.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 15, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

:airquote:In the vein of:airquote:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

this show is also in the vein of power rangers since it has the same demographic make-up

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

are you satoshi

is it true you are named after pokimans

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I feel now like he's talking and money on exchanges.. Still false but more plausible, though that's not actually the Bitcoin network handling it

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 21, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

...! posted:

Bitcoin wasn't easy.... (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 1 day ago by Satoshi_addiction

I wrote a letter today to my granchildren explaining that Hodling the Bitcoin that enables a better life for them then wasn't easy to achieve. Their grandfather wasn't just lucky to buy bitcoin for a few thousand dollars, it was hard. Hard to hold and not "cash out" during multiple bear markets. Hard not to abandon during malicious forks claiming to be the real Bitcoin. Hard for their grandfather to watch his initial investment multiply tenfold and then lose eight fold but still hold on because he wasn't a professional trader. What made it manageable was knowing that Bitcoin is revolutionary and although hard sometimes their grandfather saw how it was a game changer from the current (at the time) monetary policy and crooked fiat schemes. Spend it wisely my young ones, do good in the world with it and help others. Remember that In every battle there comes a time when both sides consider themselves beaten, then he who continues the attack wins.

Grandpa

assumes he will breed
assumes humanity will survive to the point where his grandchildren will learn to read

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

i wonder how many of these self-professed tech blockchain experts waxing on how girl brains can't handle code have ever written even a single line of javascript

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I know people are down on the immanent death of all live on Earth, but I'm sorta down for this slapstick comedy/cyberpunk dystopia we're heading into. blade runner was wrong only in the reality was always going to be far less cool and far more stupid.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

fishmech posted:

the hell you smoking

Now try Elizabeth

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

...! posted:

diydude2 [score hidden] 11 minutes ago

There are villages in Mexico (here's one, but there are others) that have kicked out the cartels and the federales and seen their murder rates plummet to zero from astronomical levels in very short periods of time.

These are the zapatistas and they're basically communists. Like they have their own communal state structure in existence now. They definitely aren't individualist entrepreneurs.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

kw0134 posted:

it's almost as if society requires active maintenance and things don't magically happen, absent any authority, because of "the market" or "fundamental rights"

Yeah, it's funny because the zapatistas are definitely anti-state. But they aren't anti-the-concept-of-social-organization, which is really what coiners seem to be.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Much like how eating spinach can be a crash course in microbiology, or eating beef can be a crash course in protein misfolding

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

meanwhile in asia

Singapore - Insurance agent who posed as 'Lord Voldermort' jailed after demanding Bitcoin from clients

quote:

An insurance agent took revenge on former and potential clients who rejected his business by sending them threatening letters signed off as "Lord Voldermort".

For his actions, Myanmar national and Singapore permanent resident Ye Lin Myint, 36, was sentenced to jail for two years and five months on Tuesday (Jan 29).

The court heard that Ye sent such letters to 33 people in total, demanding they each send him one Bitcoin, which was worth between S$6,500 and S$9,900 at the time.

The Prudential insurance agent, who is no longer with the company, began by mailing letters to the residential addresses of people he viewed as potential or former clients who rejected him.

They were either his current clients who failed to turn up for scheduled appointments with him, clients who cancelled insurance policies they previously bought from him, or potential clients who did not get insurance policies from him.

He began his preparations in July 2017, using his wife's laptop to create an email account with a Switzerland-based email service that did not require any personal information.

Ye also created a Bitcoin wallet to receive the cryptocurrency and linked it to the email account he had created under the name "Lord Voldermort", a misspelling of Lord Voldemort, a character in the Harry Potter book and film series. 

After sending several letters and emails to these clients and potential clients in August 2017, the insurance agent read a news article about unlicensed moneylenders pressuring debtors by harassing their neighbours.

He decided he would extend his harassment to the neighbours of his clients, and sent letters to them as well.

These letters threatened harassment of the neighbours' homes if they did not "urge" his clients to pay Ye what he had asked for.

One such email read: "For the past few months, I have been monitoring you and your wife and I know everything about you and your family. I know where you live, where you work. 

"I can make your life total humiliated and miserable [sic] in your Myanmar community. I can make you become jobless. I can even physically harm you and your wife and your parents if I want to."

The Singapore Police Force, along with Nee Soon Member of Parliament Lee Bee Wah, issued online advisories to warn those who received such letters not to respond to them

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Boxturret posted:

Tom Marvolo Rriddle

Tom Marvolo Ripple

Lorp Volpemort

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

appreciate the rigorous fact checking

channelnewsasia.com delivers

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Boxturret posted:

ACTUALLY magic hitler2's name is an anagram for some stupid reason

who's magic hitler1

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Boxturret posted:

johnny depp

jk rowling should learn to write more believable characters

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Lol you people are all so old.

Are you all bitter you won't live to see the glorious bitfuture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

it says so much about then that they think that's a scenario people would identify with

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 1, 2019