Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hell Bent is toilet water. Not the worst thing, but by only a slim margin.

Not sure which part I like least tbh, though I think it completely bungles the character drama (Clara and the Doctor are dangerously codepenent) on its own terms, so I'll pick that.

Heaven Sent is pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was going to say that Heaven Sent had the misfortune of being sandwiched between the two worst episodes of that season, but then I remembered S9 also has the Zygon two-parter and the Me two-parter.

Capaldi really deserved better (and Clara deserved better than Face the Raven).

I don't often hear negative opinions about Face The Raven, but I'd be keen to. What ground your gears? What got on your nerves? What trashed your trap street?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There are some pretty dumb canon debates in Who as well. They were more prevalent in the 90's though, or back when the show first came on air. Then people either got comfortable with the new show or stopped wanting to make those arguments, or were drowned out by the proportionally greater number of viewers

I figure that Star Trek will go through the same thing -- a few years of canon griping before everything settles down with an influx of new viewers who don't care so much about that kind of thing.

I did get a pretty good laugh out of some reviewer talking about how this year's Rosa doesn't fit with "some of Doctor Who's deepest lore" re: Fires of Pompeii and fixed moments in time. So it does happen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

marktheando posted:

Make me the showrunner and I’ll bring back the Raston Warrior Robot.

No, make me the showrunner and I'll bring back the Raston Warrior Robot.

As played by Katy Manning. :colbert:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fist4jesus posted:

Even the dumb ending sequence with the doctor being held, the plastic killer vial just out of reach, and then rose saying some poo poo about being a gymnast out of nowhere and eventually saving the day. Horrible. But forgivable, its fun.

I love Rose's little monologue. She only got a bronze medal in some lovely little local gymnastics for kids event, a decade or so ago, but it still means enough to her that she'll use it to psych herself up. Most of the episode is contrasting the menial and the phenomenal, and arguing that the phenomenal is just so much better. But here, for once, it's a banal achievement that steps up and saves things.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Catfishenfuego posted:

So what was up with Demon's of the Punjab looking about 10 times better than any other episode of who, like that was some seriously stunning cinematography.

Spain + Fresh DP, probably.

Sam Heasman did that episode and the finale.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

the Ianto shrine (which is weirdly still there)

There's a pretty good behind the scenes thing on one of the Big Finishes where Tom Price and Scott Handcock make their own shrine to PC Andy. Made me laugh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

...but aaa an American who's found 3 guns in my Cracker Jack boxes

I've tried googling this, but I can't work out what this means. Care to explain?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Renaissance Spam posted:

There's honestly arguments for every Doctor being leftist (even 3) on some level; unfortunately at a certain point one has to acknowledge that the character is based on the Victorian Inventor trope with all the colonialist baggage attached to that and take what you can get.

I've always wondered how damaged Eight is by having the closest resemblance to that archetype. His radio stuff with Charlie could often be problematic in its approach to class and colonialism.

e.g. Storm Warning, The Sword Of Orion, The Next Life, The Girl Who Never Was. Chimes plays around with these themes too, but in a more critical way.

Or I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. Any takers?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Devil Seeds Of Arodor posted:

An original drama from the world of BBCtv s DOCTOR WHO, featuring SIL, the ruthless alien entrepreneur from planet Thoros Beta, played by NABIL SHABAN.

SIL is worried, very worried, which doesn t keep his reptilian skin in the best condition! Confined in a cold detention cell on the moon, awaiting a deportation hearing for trial on drugs offences on Earth, he faces a death sentence if the application is successful and he is found guilty. And his employers at the Universal Monetary Fund aren t pleased either. Not at all.

As time runs out and friends desert him, SIL must use all of his devious, vile, underhanded, ruthless, and amoral business acumen to survive. Can he possibly slime his way out of this one?

I think Philip Martin vastly overestimates how much anyone wants to see Sil survive, or let alone see Sil in the first place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

So I just discovered that two Big Finish writers, Matthew J Elliot and Ian Potter, also perform commentary for Rifftrax.

You wouldn't know it from Elliot's scripts.

(They're terrible in exactly the way you'd think a Rifftrax writer would absolutely avoid. Just really really bad.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Android Blues posted:

The bizarre forced romance between her and that Soviet soldier was nothing in comparison to the obvious, natural chemistry between her and Mel in Dragonfire.

Even in The Curse Of Fenric there's that sequence where the two possessed girls almost seduce Ace into the arms of carnal vampirism.

It's bizarre that they'd throw that in and then go, nah, j/ks, she's actually into this murder man.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Although the Torchwood series has been a bright spot for me overall, the latest release has been a real struggle to get through, and I abandoned it in favor of the Gallifrey Time War series. Maybe I'll pop back to it at some point, but does it get any better than the first thirty minutes or so?

It gets stabby-er, and there's a good scene with Gwen towards the end.

Oh, and Eve Myles has a terrifying bit where she reinacts a scene from the original series. That's about it. If it's not doing it for you in the spooksy department, or as a satire of Big Finish productions, then it's probably not doing it for you.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm a big, big fan of Big Finish's Benny line. The James Goss era Benny is pretty good (though I think he's busy with Torchwood right now so that's why we haven't seen anything for a little bit).

Unfortunately, the earliest stuff that's available for download (Epoch and the next four box sets) are easily the series' worst era. But it's good again now, and well worth checking out. Start with the Dalek boxset.

That, or you could dip into the late Gary Russel / Simon Guerrier eras. (Seasons four through nine). It's funny, it's tense, there are some really interesting reinventions of Doctor Who lore. (The definitive Monoid story, I poo poo you not). The books from that era are really great too, anything Phillip Purser-Hallard or Ben Aaronovitch touches are gold. The three Daniel O'Mahoney plays are insanely good too, and the two Grell stories are really fun -- particularly the one that's a parody of The Chase.

Interested what they're going to do with Warner Doctor now he's an ongoing part of the series.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're both fascinating, Snakedance being both a quite unusual sequel and a natural extension of Kinda's themes. They're both very witty, have great world building and have interesting, weird productions.

The only thing The Cradle of The Snake has going for it is that weird subplot with Dan Simmons playing a tv host, and the thirty second sequence where Tegan turn Turlough and Nyssa into sheep.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I wish they could use the Murray Gold music in BF stuff. Jack’s theme in Torchwood is great.

Isn't that Ben Foster's score? I think they can and do use his stuff, because he scores all their Torchwood work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that they had only ever planned for one War Master box set as a one-off (hence the ending of that one leading neatly into the Master being kindly old Doctor Yana in Utopia), and then circled back around to reuse some plot concepts and whatnot from the second set of War Doctor sets they were working on before John Hurt's untimely death.

I dunno. The War Master sets are produced by Scott Handcock, Nick Briggs produced the War Doctor sets.

Plus, something like The Master Of Callous would never have happened under the War Doctor range.

(Also The Master Of Callous is really loving good. It's basically an NA.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve been working may way through the BF New Adventures of Benny audios with David Warner’s Doctor, and they range from instantly forgettable to outstanding. Warner is always good value though.

I think the only one I don't really like from those eight releases is the unicorn or should I say "unicorn" one. But the central joke is pretty good. Curious to see which ones you rate.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like the villains in Dragonfire, which is more than can be said for Paradise Towers. The scripting's there, but my god, Richard Briers is tremendously disappointing. That man was a living legend, an acting powerhouse, and he spends the last part of the story being absolutely loving atrocious.

That said, my favourite thing about Paradise Towers it that McCoy straight up tries to push the villain down an elevator shaft. Beautiful.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Android Blues posted:

I think I love the insane, weird, semi-coherence of it pretty much exclusively when it's not trying to be too serious. Ghost Light and the Curse of Fenric are borderline unwatchable for me, but Time and the Rani at least knows how stupid it is - as opposed to Curse of Fenric, which has the exact tone and cadence of a Garth Merenghi novel, plus a god-awful pedophilic romance plot.

I dunno, say what you will about Fenric, but Ghost Light definitely has a sense of humour. Eleanor's "Everyone's always going Java" riff, the Cream of Scotland Yard joke, the survival of the fittest hunter who wants to murder the Queen... the entire thing is basically satire.

It's not as good as Greatest Show, or The Happiness Patrol, but I quite like it.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Paradise Towers is amazing. The world building is top notch. Bunch of teenaged gangs appropriating weird slogans. BUILD HIGH FOR HAPPINESS.

Yellow Kangs is Best. :colbert:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Get the John Dorney stories, or almost any of the four parters, skip the Nick Briggs ones with extreme prejudice.

I like the Marc Platt ones myself.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Box of Bunnies posted:

Everything* is canon. Including Peter Cushing. Heck, especially Peter Cushing.

*except Lungbarrow. gently caress Lungbarrow

Wait, is the only reason people dislike Lungbarrow because that's where Looms come from? Because that's uh not correct.

(Lungbarrow's pretty good too tbh).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

So weird that the soundtrack is a remix of the Gravity Falls theme and not the Doctor Who theme.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
gently caress Cybermen. gently caress Judoon. Was that a loving Racnoss!?!?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Also my money is on a redemption story for The Deep. He seems to be hitting a rock bottom, and I can see him genuinely start to see what he did was wrong and actually atone, instead of Fake Corporate Atone. By the end of this season I could even see him switching sides to The Boys.

Whereas Torchwood, there was no follow up, no arc. It was just a jokey "lol date rape" one time thing that was never mentioned again. Well I suppose so, because I never watched much Torchwood besides the first couple eps and CoE. :shrug:

I'll say this for Torchwood though: at least it's not Class.

In Torchwood's case, the show'd probably just prefer the scene never have existed, and treats it like it never did.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm pretty sure RTD, a notoriously lazy writer during most of his run in the DW universe

I dunno, wasn't RTD famous for being overworked, hence the David Tennant sketch where he plays RTD as an overwrought chainsmoker?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

unpleasant flashbacks to The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Them's fighting words.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

You may have enjoyed it but the Doctor probably wasn't thrilling to the idea of having to put on a variety show for the BBCGods of Ragnarok again. :colbert:

Nah, it was all a part of her plan. Wheels within wheels.

I mean, that's the real cosmic horror of that story. The audience is never defeated, they're just placated for a while. It'll be the show that fails before the audience does.

Maybe the Doctor never left that tent, and she's still just back there, performing forever...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Fun fact: Gary Russel's adaptation of the movie was based on an earlier draft of the script, and hence features the revelation that it wasn't a hail of bullets that killed the Seventh Doctor, but actually Grace's attempts to save his life. Which makes her, what, the second companion to inadvertently kill the Doctor (after Mel and her exercise bike).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Guess who's not watched that film in ages. This guy!

I love all the ways the BBC novels spun out from the TV Movie, and the way they (and some early Big Finish) would occasionally reference and play with the more unique elements of the show seen there.

The OrmanBlum / Lawrence Miles explanation for the half human thing, for instance, ended up being pretty cool IIRC, (though I guess the thread shouldn't necessarily trust my memory as far as this goes lol). Plus there was at least one novel that reused the time rewinding trick from the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love that Beevers still has the best hard core master voice. I'm shocked that he's not a literal walking corpse IRL.

Interesting that they're doing kid master and the unbound almost reasonable "Kisgart" Master as well as all the classic takes on the character.

Kinda hoping that we get Alexandra Moen as Lucy Saxon, but that'll never happen.