Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Can't read this due to blue sky being stupid, repost?

I have an account and I still couldn't see it. It says "Suggestive Content: Learn more" so you click that and it says "This content contains imagery which is sexually suggestive. Common examples include selfies in underwear or in partial undress." but there's no indication of how to actually see it. :confused:

(Yes, I saw someone posted it above, but I'm still confused by the website and want to know how to actually look at things in future)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You idiots made the elementary mistake of not remaining oblivious forever. You'll never be embarrassed about your past mistakes if you simply don't realise you made them. Ignorance is bliss.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Y'know now that I think about it, we really did innovate harder than was useful with dating apps, I think Trek really did have it right by just inventing a sign that says 'Single And Looking' that people carry around.

They didn't go far enough, imo. We need more signs. How about an "I'm bored and have an hour to kill so I'm up for a chat" sign? Or an "I've recently moved here and am looking for a new friend group" sign? Or an "I am currently obsessed with Baldurs Gate 3 and will discuss it at length with literally anyone who will listen" sign? Normalise holding up handwritten signs with your exact needs written on them in large print, I say.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Have you never laughed at your past self before?
After what that arsehole has done to me, it's no laughing matter.

Not specific enough. Personalised signs are the only solution.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

fellas is it gay to crank your hog with another man's arms?

No. But if they were a woman's arms? Super gay.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inceltown posted:

It took Bono asking Steve Jobs if he named the LISA computer after his daughter Lisa before he would admit it. He lied right to the face of Lisa for years about not naming it after her.

Why even deny that? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

freeedr posted:

People seeing honking as rude and an affront are crazy to me. The horn is a safety device and I’m glad to know where all the huge heavy rolling bombs are. Honk that horn. It’s the opposite of angry or aggressive

The horn means literally one thing: look this way immediately. If you're using or anything other than alerting those around you to an emergency, you're making the road more dangerous by causing a distraction.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

wash bucket posted:

That blows my loving mind. Nothing better than getting home after work and remembering you've got a big pot of something ready to heat and eat. Hell, some stuff tastes better the second day.

Years ago I was sharing a house with a friend who would never eat leftovers but wouldn't admit it. So I'd make a whole lot of pasta or something and we'd have that for dinner, then the next night he'd make dinner, then it came time to eat the leftovers and he'd be all for it right up to the point where we're about to heat them up and then he'd go "actually I don't feel like leftovers, I'll order us something". So he'd pay for takeaway for both of us, and cook the next day because it was his turn, and I'd get to eat the leftover pasta for lunches instead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kestral posted:

when some people say they can “picture something” in their head and it’s not just a metaphor
I think I was in my twenties when I discovered this. I had always thought it was just a colourful way of saying "think about". It always seemed like such babyish histrionics when people said an actor in a book adaptation didn't match their mental image of them, like they were just saying "that's not who I would have cast if they'd asked me". Never occurred to me that you could have any idea what a character in a novel looked like beyond remembering specific facts described in the text.

Dameius posted:

Do you also lack an internal monologue?
I still can't get my head around the idea of not having an internal monologue. I first encountered the concept when I was talking to someone online who'd been deaf their entire life and I suddenly had the thought "Wait, how do you think if you don't know what words sound like?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ommin posted:

I've always been curious about this. Do your memories not play in your head like a movie or is that something different?
Nope. I remember things like they're written stories narrated by me. I don't know how I experience dreams while I'm dreaming, since I'm only conscious of them when I wake up, at which point I remember them the same way as everything else - words.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ommin posted:

Fascinating. So it's your own voice in the void dictating back to you? I can relate to that somewhat. Is it a fairly constant stream of narration then?
No, only when I'm thinking something. Most of the time I'm not (consciously).

freeedr posted:

You can think concepts in a couple of seconds that would take all day to explain in words. How can they be monologued
In my mind, words mean exactly what I intend them to mean. Somewhere beyond my awareness, concepts get assigned to words so I always know what I'm talking about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Guiness_Pig/status/1771237154628194763

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kestral posted:

If I concentrate hard on certain memories, I can get something like an image, but it's at best a pale, hazy, indistinct thing that's frustratingly slippery and inconsistent. I've never found a pattern to what sticks in there. For example, goon face blindness is definitely associated with this: I can't remember the faces of people I've known for decades with any clarity, even a few minutes after I've stopped looking at them.
If I'm looking at someone and then turn my back, unless I made a point of remembering particular details I won't be able to tell you what they're wearing, what colour their hair is, or anything much at all about their appearance, but I have absolutely no problem recognising people or noticing changes in their appearance. The memory is stored there, I just can't call it up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Aha! So if you can imagine words then clearly the solution is to form images with the letters and symbols, like ASCII text!

No, it's just the narration. I can't see the words. No images at all, only my own voice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

This is wild stuff. Are you able to draw? Did you find learning to read especially easy or difficult?

I can't draw at all. Even my stick figures come out all wonky and inconsistent. Then again, my handwriting is also basically illegible, and I know I can make the effort to do that better so it's possible I could learn to draw well too, if I were sufficiently motivated. :shrug:

I don't have any memory of learning to read and I don't know if I was reading at a particularly young age or anything like that. I know I've always been good at spelling, but I attribute that to reading a lot as a child; you see words often enough you get to remember how they go. Did I read a lot because I was particularly good at it? Maybe? Did I read a lot because I was bad at sports (and my parents wouldn't have let me watch TV all day), or was I bad at sports because I spent all my time inside, reading? Who knows?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mistake, or intriguing new concept for restructuring the week? No wednesday but two saturdays. I like it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

I mean, I haven't seen much noir but that legit made me want to start, so if you've got some recommendations then go right ahead

Dunno about films but the Philip Marlowe books by Raymond Chandler are well worth reading.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/americanwombat/status/1777867650615677412

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/TiredActor/status/1555593414149906434
https://twitter.com/TiredActor/status/1583544879656771584
https://twitter.com/FizzySodaIsland/status/1590496820933058560
https://twitter.com/the_binp/status/1587777019588272128

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

2) It's simply not possible to exclude things from results. I tried to search for a thing about Baldur's Gate and there is literally no way to make Google exclude results containing Baldur's Gate 3. (Thankfully I remembered GameFAQs exists.)
It also treats quotation marks as suggestions now. Like you'd prefer the term in quotes to appear, but you're not that fussed. Just if it's convenient. Actually don't even worry, near enough's good enough.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

Based on the time that passed between 1969 and when the song "Summer of '69" was released, if you did the equivalent now you would write a song called

Summer of '07

Bryan Adams was ten years old in 1969. He chose the year because it's the sex number.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You have to use the proper URL to make it embed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If the knight is still saying "ni" in the Japanese dub, does that mean that instead of a nonsense word it's "the knights who say 'two'"? I guess it probably doesn't make any meaningful difference.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

I say we give the brain parasites a chance. They can't be any worse at the job than human politicians, right?

Vote for the Worms Eating People's Brains Party!

It's actually both parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CommonShore posted:

did this person think the words were floating in air for real?

They assumed that it was not actually a thing that Jeremy Renner said and that the Los Angeles Times published, but it (apparently) is.