Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

fate extella sucked though
link is much improved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

like i said in the previous thread, the final Etrian Odyssey comes out next week

the D in DRPG will change meaning to "dire" after EO is retired as a series

e: or 'dearth'. 'deserted'. 'drought'

They've literally said nexus is the last etrian odyssey 'on the 3ds,' always with that language

quote:

the very last brand-new title that will be on the 3DS.

quote:

Being the final instalment on 3DS, Etrian Odyssey Nexus is aiming to go all out

there's going to be more EO games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Why do people hate fire emblem now
because the idea of a military academy is somehow more juvenile and impossible to them than a magical dimension where you send babies to so they can age ten times as fast and never see their parents

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But yeah like, the military academy is a better excuse for a homebase than whatever the hell Fates was trying to do, they seemed to have actual mechanics built around it, and pretty much everything in the latter half of the trailer/a lot of the stuff in the first trailer made it pretty clear that you'd be doing generic teaching stuff for so long and would get caught up in a standard fire emblem war at least by the halfway point, if not sooner. Iunno why people are freaking out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

axelblaze posted:

I think people are kind of annoyed at how much more directly anime FE has become over the years and setting it in high school is just a step too far for some

fe4 had a scene in which a 15 year old insists she cant be a kid because of her huge boobs

Internet Kraken posted:

They can both be terrible!

If this had come out before Fates I'd be more optimistic but based on the designs on the trailer and the pitch its probably gonna be a ton of highschool/college anime bullshit, which I cannot stand. I'm sure the gameplay will still be good but holy poo poo the last thing I want from these games is a bunch of kids and their social life in murder school.
Iunno, everything we've seen of the plot/dialogue seems fairly grounded? Admittedly we haven't seen a lot yet but compared to Fates's intro trailer which had that freaking camilla shot everything's been pretty lowkey.

And like I said, I really doubt you'll be in school the entire game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I'm sad they're still keeping that aspect

But since everyone is high schoolers at least there's probably no kids mechanic

Please let there be no kids mechanic
The kids in fates were almost universally panned and unpopular and the mechanic itself was criticized heavily on both the western and JP sides. I would place money on there being no kids in this game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I dunno, I can't really be optimistic with anything about that game's writing.

I mean on paper, Fates doesn't sound like its story concept is terrible either but we all know how they managed to botch that.
A lot of Fates's issues are tied into things that this game already probably doesn't have. Kids probably won't exist, we already know there won't be three versions, stuff like that was a huge part of the reason Fates was so bad.

This game's plot could still be bad, mind, but there's no reason to expect it to be as bad as Fates was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

the horniness of that line was exaggerated in the original fan translation
the basic gag is the same either way though, its just 'do you think a kid could look this good' or whatever in the original jp

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Is that lil' game the original creator of Fire Emblam made that's being translated into English for sale going to have bad things in it?
well tearring saga had a lot of really bad stuff in it but berwick saga seems like it was okay, so who knows

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Hey, how come you only show up here once in a blue moon? I like your posts.
my posts are more powerful if im only a supporting character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

"Hitoshi Ariga participated in the Mega Man 8 boss character contest. His submissions were Army Man (アーミーマン, two headed robot), Black Man (ブラックマン, robot with sword) and Kraken Man (クラーケンマン, extendable arms)."

ariga buddy think one of these names might need a redo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of LGBT, how were we supposed to feel about Mr Gold and Mr Silver in God Hand? They’re super campy gay in a way I haven’t really seen in video games, and I don’t know what to think of them, maybe a smart person could say whether they’re okay or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pnBXFgOP8Y

Good game tho

They're kind of a dumb camp gay stereotype but at least they're just a dumb camp gay stereotype and Gene's like 'wow, you guys are a camp gay stereotype' and then it moves on. It's not exactly positive LGBT representation or anything but it's just a dumb joke instead of anything that actively sours the game, imo.

Anyway Japan's history with trans rights is complicated because in some ways it's better than America and in some ways its worse, and their understanding of transsexuality is very different, even among actual transpeople, though obviously laws influence how people see themselves but I can't say that the western understanding of transsexuality is necessarily 'better' on its face. Basically the big difference is that Japanese trans people generally view it as an active transition from one state to the other, unlike Western conception of it that mostly perceives it as being the opposite gender from your physical sex, at all times, even without any kind of surgery or changing how you present yourself. And of course getting into nonbinary people is an entirely different thing.

That said, due to specific things about Japan's media, there are generally more LGBT-positive works than there are in the west, or at least ones that might penetrate the nerd sphere. Obviously there are plenty of LGBT-positive books in the west but if you're talking about, say, comic books, the fact that Japan has a comics industry with a ton of niche/progressive magazines and the only people really involved in the creation of the comic being one or two people and an editor (who would mostly be fine with the work exploring Issues if it's a magazine that is already relevant to those Issues or if it's specifically an entire magazine about those issues) means that you get waaaaaay more comics that are just specifically about these things.

Like Nabari no Ou is a moderately prominent manga that got an anime adaptation, ran for nearly a decade, could totally pass as a standard action thing, and its author is just straight up nonbinary and the story deals directly with themes of gender and has an explicitly nonbinary character who talks at length about the pain of being expected to fulfill a gendered role. I don't think you'd ever get something like that in the western comics industry. Obviously there's indie comics that explore those things, and sometimes mainstream publishers will dip their toes in, but Marvel and DC are too giant to really be that bold, especially with their established characters.

And obviously building entire genres out of gay and lesbian relationships has its own issues, in terms of cliche and the fact that the story is viewed as gay or lesbian before anything else, but it still offers a wide array of works about those things. To say nothing of the fact that Japan has an indie comics scene where you can totally just take established characters from an actual popular work and make them just straight up gay and sell it at doujin events and stuff, which obviously leads to some fan cultures dealing directly with gay/lesbian stuff at basically all times. Again, maybe not always in the wokest ways, but with how much of that is going on some of it is going to wind up actually being cool.

And support for gay marriage in Japan is fairly high. The main reasons Japan is politically regressive on these issues are a combination of a culture that favors keeping quiet about your 'private life,' and therefore discourages mass protest, a younger generation that's almost entirely checked out of politics, and also the fact that the younger generation is a lot smaller than it is in most western countries. That's not to make excuses or anything, mind, but it's a very complicated situation beyond 'Japan isn't great on LGBT issues' being used as a handwavey excuse.

What I'm saying here is Katsura Hashino is a shithead even by the standards of his country and should be given no cover of that sort.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Verranicus posted:

I like anime titties.

gently caress yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if the endpoint of this argument is that 13 gay couples should sue atlus for publishing catherine, i agree

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roth posted:

I always liked R&C more than Jak.

About 90% of that being because of how irritating Daxter is.
Daxter is the most early 2000s thing ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It's really weird this is even a thing that's happening, because they seemed to handle Lala Escargot perfectly fine. in Persona 5, outside of like a single line where you have the option to ask "do I have to cross dress?" when getting a job with her, she is otherwise handled great. Like, no one ever refers to her as a man, no one ever gets her pronouns wrong, there's never a scene where a character is like "whoa hold on THAT'S A DUDE! Gross!" or anything. All the regulars at the bar treat her normally, etc. So it's not like they're not capable of handling this kind of thing better. They just choose not to in Catherine's case or gay characters in general. Though I guess Lala-chan is technically not trans and just cross dresses so maybe they don't consider it the same thing.
Lala Escargot is literal scene dressing with seven lines in the whole game. She isn't even an s. link. We do not know enough of her internal life to even know if she's a transwoman, a drag queen who identifies outside the binary, a cis man who enjoys crossdressing, or even just a cis woman. Why do people keep bringing her up.

Literally the only reason Lala stands out is because something vaguely queerish got to exist on screen in a modern Persona game for five consecutive seconds without Hashino making GBS threads himself in sheer terror. That isn't impressive.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 16, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

light novels are specifically called 'light novels' because they're mostly dialogue with prose not really going on that long, so they're very breezy reads. they also, yeah, trend to trend young adult for that reason, though there's plenty that are aimed at older audiences. they usually have some illustrations for key scenes but not a ton, and they're usually released in volumes of 100-200 pages, with most 'active' ones releasing 2-4 volumes a year. They also tend to be more serialized, with distinct arcs, and in some cases are just straight up episodic in nature.

So they differ in some key ways from western YA novels but they're broadly similar.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

theres also not a mario golf on switch yet and thats f*cked up

what is camelot even doing right now
they're still updating mario tennis

they only have like 30 employees or smth so i imagine that game's dlc cycle is taking up most of their resources

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LionArcher posted:

No I get that. I’m saying it’s a good puzzle game and has a sub plot with a few lines that are problematic and transphobic. And again, someone earlier had a very thoughtful post about the differences in cultures about trans perceptions (Japanese vs western). What I’m basically saying is if you don’t want to buy the game, that’s totally cool, but if you do want to play it, that doesn’t mean you are a bad person or transphobic.
please dont use my post to try and downplay this, the differences between japan and the west in terms of trans thought have to do with stuff like a thoughtful autobiography being named 'the bride was a boy,' not some poo poo game where a character gets deadnamed in the credits and the director's previous work includes a game where the protagonists are saved from being molested by a pedophile transwoman because they notice her adam's apple and run away.

My point was not 'catherine is okay because japanese people think differently,' my point was literally the opposite. japan has a transculture that's different from the west's, but it still has a strong trans culture. sometimes people see these differences and think it's worse, or don't understand what's being communicated, but those differences have to do with language and patterns of self-expression, when used by transpeople. They don't have to do with obvious transphobia from a team of 60 year old cis dudes being okay over there.

And if someone wants to buy the game, I don't care. But using the post that literally ends in

quote:

What I'm saying here is Katsura Hashino is a shithead even by the standards of his country and should be given no cover of that sort.

to give him cover of that sort sucks.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 18, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if scalebound is being 'made for the switch' i imagine itd be more a case of them retooling the ideas into somethng for the switch rather than just bring it over straight across. like how dmc1 started life as re4, or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

it's only based on 6 numbered scores and 6 more unscored reviews but yeah practically all of them are "ehhhhhhh not feeling this"

the last few weeks have been a cascade of mediocre poo poo between this/crackdown/far cry 5.5/jump force. all unworthy sacrifices to the alter of Dante
but in only one of these games can you play as the pharoah and kill goku with the dark magician

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Thats why I said on me. I saw what looked like a technically demanding FPS with a time stop mechanic and thought it'd be focused on that rather than just sort of being a middling FPS game with a gimmick.

Like for reference for me the few times the power up that does the same thing in Dusk shows up are better than the entirety of Super Hot since the game its built on is a really fun FPS even without the gimmick.
it is focused on it, though

like its not a puzzle game its a time trial game, the idea is to get clearing the stages down more and more efficiently

(on the other hand agreed that the story sucks)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rip blazblue chrono phantasma

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/AndroidSophia/status/1098299493597040643

If only Nagoshi was addicted to Twitter, wanna see him slamming into every "What about the director's ORIGINAL VISION?" with "My original vision sucked nerd! THE FUTURE IS NOW!" replies to each one.
its not a new observation that these people are hypocrites but its funny that they're all 'you cant change the original creators work! let them do what they want!' until the original creator decides to remove something that they feel makes their game worse, then its 'wtf, how dare they!'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

I think people really overstate how significant the relationship stuff in FE is. Awakening was successful out of the gate and it wasn't exactly marketed as a dating sim, and people actively disliked how they contorted themselves to shoehorn the exact same systems in Fates.
yeah, people enjoy the characters but the relationship building stuff in awakening was well received because it gave you more of the characters, not because of self-insert dating

im sure some people enjoyed that mind, but it wasnt the sum total of the appeal

also tbh people saying 'waifus' a lot about a series with such a huge female fanbase is weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

every persona game is bad at being a persona game, the last two modern persona games billed themselves as stories they were the complete opposite of and vanilla persona 3 has some of the worst social links in the series without playing as femc
persona 5 was also just insanely weird about its time management stuff in general. there were super punishing stat requirements out of nowhere that you had to be super efficient about raising your stats to meet, but the only ways to be super efficient about raising your stats were to exploit a money gaining loop that im pretty? sure isnt intentional? but the game plays so much better if you just do it even once, but the game still doesn't tell you about half the free actions you have to boost your stats, and if they're free actions why do they even exist, why not just lower the stat requirements, and also the game's time management completely breaks if you make the incredible decision of using a basic gameplay feature consistently, with the only 'trick' to it being that the basic gameplay feature is locked behind a random s. link that gives you no indication that she will be your portal into maxing every s. link

god persona 5 sucked

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every single joke in persona 4 is basically the death of comedy, i can think of maybe two good 'comedy' scenes and the game tries for like 20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Question about Anthem:

Probably my absolute least favorite thing in video games is inventory crafting hoarding where you need a CPA license and a zillion years experience with Excel (think Monster Hunter World and ____ Souls)

Is Anthem like those games, mildly similar (like Dead Space and Prey), or completely straightforward shooter like Halo?

Every review I've watched talks about upgrading your gear but doesn't mention if it's the kind of thing you just pick up or it's hours of grinding for rare elements to use in a crafting system.

TIA.
Gear isn't super complicated from what I've seen but there's definitely crafting and grinding, it's not halo-esque at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Well fudge.

I wanted to play flying shooty man, but not if it's like taking on a second job.
they dont make multiplayer shooters for you anymore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Black August posted:

That’s why they did this

Nobody gives a gently caress about them but now 4chan and 8chan and affiliates do and that will net them more support

We have reached the point where appealing to white supremacists is more reward than risk for many companies
People engage with media based on whether or not they want to engage with that media. This cuts both ways. People very rarely actually care enough to buy games based on their own politics, because they know it's a futile effort. If the actual game has content they agree/disagree with, maybe, but woke sites still praise CDPR and link to articles about them even when it's open knowledge that CDPR is awful, and plenty of alt-right types love anime made by devout communists and/or lesbians, or buy indie games that are made by the drat SJWs. There's no grand marketing strategy here that proves society is failing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Black August posted:

And while it IS self-destructive in the longterm, Nordic went for the alt-right market because a majority of social media is pro-white supremacy and does little about their Nazi demographic, which allows them to flourish and be tapped as a market by companies who give absolutely no shits about ethics or genocide or nada if it means there's people to net in for money

You will see this happen a little more and a little more as the next decade crawls on and Nazis continue to be allowed to have discourse and influence

sincerely: please get therapy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8chan gets less visitors than godaddy and 50% of its traffic comes from qanon boards, it seriously isnt a huge influence on the world. some idiot PR guy decided to give a shoutout to his special friends, this isn't a sign of a sinister trend that will grow and grow in video games, and nazis are not running the world. i understand it feels that way sometimes, but they're just loud and desperate, they make up an incredibly small minority. conservatism broadly is growing in the world, but we aren't going to become the 8chan states of america. conservatism and liberalism always swing back and forth in politics.

i'm not being an rear end in a top hat, i'm sincerely telling you that you are in a dark place that doesn't align with reality and you would be happier if you didn't obsess over this stuff so much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I just use an add-on that lets me block specific channels, which is good because you can use it to block anything, even just like, 'I don't like this channel.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

does it have a white list so i can block everything but music, movie trailers, and a handful of let's players/streamers

you have to block channels individually but i guess you could slowly put in every single channel that exists

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Mario 64 is fractal; you could spend a lifetime discovering more and more in tinier and tinier fragments of it

Alternative response:

the middle left one looks more like those platforms that dump you off after a period time than a cannon?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the idea of 8chan is that there's no moderation and you can create a board for any subject. so theres not just A loli hentai board, there's seventy-five. there's also tons of racism/racist boards. theres also leftist politics boards because some people like pissing into the wind i guess, but yeah, if you can think of anything, no matter how indescribably awful it is, 8chan has a board for it and probably a different board that splintered from the first board after they got into an argument over some minutia of the awful thing they're discussing. there are no mods so its just internet soup

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Catching up on THQ Nordics Twitter account, they have since stopped the AMA and apologized for being dumb.
They still have a link up to the AMA and their apology said 'they didn't know' even though they made posts on 8chan specifically responding to 'don't put SJW bullshit into your games' with 'don't worry, we won't!' and replied to posts about big titty loli hentai. Don't buy this. It'd take five seconds on 8chan to figure out 'oh god we shouldn't be here,' not three hours.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

ah, I see, it's reddit
reddit occasionally bans bestiality boards

8chan does not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What’s the horniest Nintendo game. Asking for my buddy’s friend
captain rainbow has a sidequest where you find birdo's vibrator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve always wondered, in a world with typical huge anime eyes, why are Brock’s drawn like that? Is he supposed to be a specific ethnicity?
Yeah it's just a thing animators/character designers do. If anime characters have big eyes to look innocent and cute than obviously if you draw a character with closed eyes they look mature in comparison, you can also use it to imply shiftiness or something. it can also be used if they have some kind of eye-based power naturally. other characters with that going on would be like, hazama in blazblue and xelloss in slayers.

he has a standard japanese name the same as anyone else in the original japanese so i don't think he's meant to be anything. actually the reason they removed him for the orange islands arc is because they thought people would think it was racist against asians, lol. but they put him back when they realized nobody cared.