Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Year of the Plague has given me some amount of either agoraphobia or office-specific phobia. Kind of sucks as BEFORE I was a very open extrovert and that was both important to me surviving work and just my self identity. I think I'm still pretty extroverted but at work I'm just shrinking and panicking all the time. None of my work needs me to be in person, save that my highest level boss is mad about people eating at home and not near the office. I've got a reasonable accommodation request to allow remote work in but they've blown all their deadlines and now the union is involved. Really just posting because my brain feels like it's melting and I'm frustrated.

All of that is background to my therapist being mostly good but has a frustrating tic that he thinks this is a germphobia. I'm... not really that scared of illness. It's the lack of control over my environment and sensory over load and being in physical proximity to people who I don't trust for so many hours a day (some of my coworkers have repeatedly snitched to management about stuff like union activities, so they've pretty clearly demonstrated which side they're on). At least those are the elements that feel very awful to me. It's a reasonable guess I just am a bit frustrated at explaining multiple times.

Aside, what's the difference between management and mitigation? I only really know those terms (in such proximity to each other) from emergency management, where mitigation is a tactic inside management rather than a separate strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Thanks for that explanation of mitigation vs management. It's a different use than what I'm familiar with but I think I get it.

And yea I'm not a fan of most of my coworkers. We're already union so it's not a matter of like organizing a new union, it's just poo poo heads without any solidarity.

The one coworker that I am not afraid of is planning to quit soon for his mental health lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've lost about 50 lbs this year on purpose. Things that feel like they worked for me:

Get a food scale and log everything. Be realistic about how much hunger you can tolerate. Try to be strategic about what foods provide you with the most satiation per calorie (e.g. cooking with oil doesn't make me much more full but is a ton of calories. Conversely 200cal of popcorn feels very filling to me). Running has made it easier for me to go stretches without eating and provided a substitute structure to my day that isn't a meal. Drink lots of water.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I finally started on that daily stoic journal book. I'm enjoying it. I had concerns about dividing the world up into things under my control and things not under my control, but they were all addressed in the introduction. If nothing else, it'll be useful for getting outside of my own head and being more aware of different perspectives. I get in that depression tunnel-vision where I'm not paying much attention to more than what is right in front of me, and I think this will help pull me out of that.

That sounds pretty useful ngl

Josherino posted:

Awesome work here; I recently quit soda, and I'm about a month in. I don't miss it, but it's crazy to think how my anxiety was tied with my binge soda drinking when I sit down and think about it.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks! It's weird, though not quite done yet. I'm impressed that I was able to do it, I really didn't think I could for the last 20 years. But I think I look basically the same? I.e. like poo poo. Other people comment on change in appearance and clearly clothes are loose, but I look in the mirror and see the same ugly fatass. I knew that losing weight wasn't gonna fix anything in my brain but it's still weird.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I found Tacitus to legitimately help my emotional management, even if it does have some goon-rear end passages. Zhuangzi also really helped but that's more broad than specifically angry over sense of helplessness. Most feel good stories I find are just extra depressing as mentioned, but the 2 part series on It Could Happen Here about antiwork (especially the second one about Lying Flat) were really uplifting.

I'm pretty stressed about this coming week. Christmas is always mega stressful but right now my mom has 10 broken ribs, COVID is shredding my city, and my coworkers are antimask and keep holding in person meetings. I'm at my parents already and thinking about just staying here coz it's like 90% chance I'll bring COVID back next week and I really don't want my mom to have coughing fits with her ribs all hosed.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

StratGoatCom posted:

Whelp, good chance that I can't have the decent ADHD drugs because my ticker is just weird enough to say no.

gently caress this. No real ability to do long term self-directed projects in my life, and reaching the limits of what I can do academically by throwing coffee at the problem?

I really am through. Just completely at the end of my tether, with no real place to go other then where I am.

I feel so crappy I can't even really find it in me to eat.

I'm pretty frustrated that I almost certainly could use some of those concentration meds but I have a history of insomnia so the doc was like "absolutely the gently caress not."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AceOfFlames posted:

And yet even my family thinks I should be "proud" of my work for its own sake. I am very much a child when it comes to making me do things. I don't clean unless people come over. I don't work unless someone literally tells me "do this" or is looking over my shoulder. Apparently people have some sort of "internal motivation" that I don't possess. I wonder if it was how I was raised. my mom would give me money every time I got good grades in lieu of allowance. I think that screwed me up.

Do you mean you don't do anything without external pressure or that you don't do the stuff you get paid for without external pressure? Cuz that latter one is just The Economy Working As Intended, and frankly people who put effort into their jobs when it's not clear how they're going to get compensated are sick freaks. Jobs and cleaning are, for most of us, moderately unpleasant tasks that we don't do basically unless we have to (though most of us have a Filth Limit where cleaning is less stressful than not cleaning, but it's way filthier than our Feeling Presentable limit).

I'm sure as gently caress not here because I'm a paragon of mental health but I do absolutely have things that I enjoy doing. I enjoy cooking, and even more having my cooking praised by others. I like some of the art I do and reading and meditating and so on. I can muster up the energy to deliberately herd cats to have RPG nights n such. So I've got "internal motivation," I just don't direct that into my workplace because I'm not a mark.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

what's the skinny on lexapro. anything I should be aware of vis a vis side effects or weird poo poo like sleepwalking?

I only started recently. It's given me really bad orthostatic hypotension, which is a bit crazy because I had some light hypertension only 6 months ago (BP is generally like 110/70 when I started lexapro). I've switched from taking it first thing in the morning to taking it like 2 hours before bed and so far it seems like an improvement but I'm still noticing it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've preferred telehealth so far, I'm much more honest when I'm in my own environment though I think that may vary from person to person.

I am starting to think I may have exhausted my relationship with my therapist though. He's not bad we're just spinning in circles a lot. He was very helpful earlier just kind of a rut.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I got WFH accommodation and its insane how quickly this has turned things around for me. It's just been two shifts and turns out that not panicking constantly has benefits beyond just "not panicking all the time."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ronwayne posted:

Saw a new doc this time, had to do the exhausting thing of relaying my life's trauma/fuckups in a 25 minute period, with the knowledge this was going to social security so they could look for anything i said that could be used as proof i wasn't as disabled, including "this medication helped me feel better". Including appeals I've been denied 4 times so far, each with "you have some disabilities but there are still jobs you could possible work." Staying at those lovely jobs that traumatized me for so long is now loving hurting me because they're being used as the basis of what work I can do as opposed to the things I flamed out from in under 6 months. gently caress the "don't leave you job until you find a new job! advice when you're too exhausted and hurt to even look for a new job while holding the current traumatizing one.

(I honestly shouldn't have been in the workforce ever, honestly, but here we are).

God, awful.

I work for the gov in medicaid stuff and people who have never been dependent on benefits don't believe me when I say it's morally dubious work. They think that government assistance is this straightforward altruism that's put into often challenging positions instead of an intrusive system of cruelty that inserts itself into - or even creates - miserable positions for others.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've got therapy later today and I don't really know what to say to him. I'm feeling OK. I think I look better than at any other point in my life and that feels weird - it's been an axiom of my life that "I look like poo poo" and now I just...don't feel disgusted when I look in the mirror. At some level this feels like a betrayal. I know that I've got some fairly severe mental problems still ongoing but they all feel kind of managed at this point. I mostly feel like I'm kind of vaguely stuck and possibly even trapped but I'm not sure how to approach this, I'm not sure what would get me out of this rut or what the rut even really is at this point.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I can't do anything to help her. I've tried, and she does not want to hear me. Anything further would just injure the otherwise decent relationship I have with her. But, I can hook up a blu-ray player correctly and gently caress with it until it works right. Just wish I didn't feel like such an idiot for sublimating and fixating on these things. And I feel no relief or pleasure or satisfaction for having gotten things set up correctly, and know that all of this will soon manifest itself again in a misaligned typebar on one of my typewriters or new weather-stripping on the doors to prevent that annoying whistling sound when the wind picks up or something...

Oof, yeah. I mean tbh I think this is very normal. Not sure if I'd say its healthy but it is very normal to react to a situation that is bad and out of your control by doing something "productive" even if it doesn't help with the actual situation at hand. I got a lot physically healthier this year and I can talk about all sorts of more wholesome motivations but the actual real fuel underneath it all was that I was spiralling out because of stuff I didn't have any reasonable control over and either I made myself sick with worry or I poured it into the gym and other bullshit like that. And I just kept burning that anxious energy on stupid distractions until that particular emotional storm passed.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I did literally everything for that organization for over a year. None of that earns me any respect. I'm just left with people expecting more of me.

Efficient workers get more work.

And yes nonprofits are a nightmare. A LOT of my family works nonprofits and I think I despite private nonprofits even more than for-profits, they do the same stuff but are more brazenly emotionally manipulative.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'd been feeling kind of in a rut in therapy for the last couple weeks and then at my most recent session he came at me fuckin hard. I mean that in a good way - it was a devastating insight into a character flaw that needs to be addressed. Definitely not feeling like I'm wasting my sessions now.

You're a good n funny poster and I know stuff is rough right now but I hope that you're able to right the ship and get to a good place mentally.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

That's good! TBH I think that's kind of a great example of what you can get out of simple coping therapy: it's very easy to get stuck into patterns of behavior that are self-triggering just because it's what we've habitually done and we haven't really taken the full set of all options seriously.

The example I recall best from another person's experiences was that they found themselves avoiding showers for days and days at a time because they were so uncomfortable seeing themselves naked. The therapist just said "why don't you shower with the lights off" and bam, simple adaptation to avoid a common trigger.

I mean obviously there's a million and one things this doesn't work for but if you can make your life easier you should. You're not making your ability to confront structural problems any easier by draining your own morale and energy. Or as I put it: no need to do your enemy's job for them.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

thehandtruck posted:

ya a lot of therapy goes like this

client: i feel lovely when i do optional thing x
therapist: well dont do that thing then dumbass
client: you are so wise

cause some people dont feel they have the authority to say no. so it takes that "permission" for lack of a better word

Yeah for sure. And a lot of times its

client: I feel lovely when I do optional thing x
therapist: well don't do that
client: I've tried not doing it and it went bad
therapist: have you tried...as an adult?
client: o gently caress i forgot i'm an adult now lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Raine posted:

i feel like my interview performance is always inversely proportional to how much i want the job

yeah that's fair. pretty common to choke under pressure.

the most significant job interview i had (not my current job but my previous one, that got me out of working minimum wage and into white collar nonsense) i went in with total despair and not giving a gently caress, i was stunned when i got the offer

Segata Sanshiro posted:

So the new thing with me is horribly unpleasant, intrusive, invasive thoughts. Almost constantly especially when I go to bed and wake up. Sounds like extended homelessness/ptsd might be causing this. The human brain is so fun,it's like it gets more broken just from already being broken. snowballing broken-ness.

jesus that's rough. I wish I had more to tell you other than that I've had that too and yeah long term heavy stressors will give you intrusive thoughts you're not wrong about that

do you have any leads or anything for getting a roof?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Segata Sanshiro posted:

thanks for replying and no, as far as the homeless thing goes I seem to be boned

I can try bootstraps where I am now or I can move back in with an insane terrible abusive excuse for a human being, in a town I never ever wanna see again.

the fact that I've taken about a year of homelessness instead, despite how much it blows, should tell you how attractive my other options are :(

Jesus yeah. I've only done a few months of that and it is not something I wish on anybody. I'm sure you already know this but the general sequence for getting this poo poo unfucked is to get a room first, then work on job & mental health at the same time. I'm sorry your poo poo's so hosed, I only know/can assist in NYC area.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

War and Pieces posted:

I've been going to the gym off and on and generally preventing weight gain etc

I can't help shaking the feeling that it's making my mental health worse. I don't want to spend every other day in exhausting physical pain and I can't handle the mental pain that goes with dreading and then regretting going to the gym.

i think you may not be exercising with good form if you're in exhausting physical pain from workouts

usually the best workout for weight maintenance (and to me at least best for mental health) is running, where the usual advice is

Born to Run posted:

Think Easy, Light, Smooth, and Fast. You start with easy, because if that's all you get, that's not so bad. Then work on light. Make it efforthless, like you don't give a poo poo how high the hill is or how far you've got to go. When you've practiced that so long, that you forget you're practicing, you work on making it smooooooth. You won't have to worry about the last one - you get those three, and you'll be fast.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

War and Pieces posted:

lmao I can't run a quarter mile without getting winded

I started running in July 2021 after not having done so since high school. I did the C25k plan and the first week was just 60s of running, 60s of walking, 8 times, and it was a significant struggle for me. By the end of the plan I found doing a full 5k in about 28 minutes pretty easy.

All of that is to say that I am not saying you NEED to become a runner and certainly don't ignore what your body is telling you, but barring some very significant medical problems, building up baseline endurance to "a couple miles" is very achievable. It's much easier than building muscle mass, for example.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

endlessmonotony posted:

Heh, my health's going down the shitter again, and nothing ever gets better.

Refusing to worry or do anything about it has been, in itself, the best thing I've ever done about it.

It doesn't matter to anyone else if I live or die, and nobody ever helps, so... I was just stressing myself out for no good reason.

The surgeons did predict I was going to have abysmal quality of life, and, uh, they are really competent.

I feel like I should worry and rage, but... instead I just feel content. I will suffer and die due to my disease, and I couldn't do anything about it if I wanted to. But I no longer want to.

Gotta be realistic about what you can control.

It ain't worth much but I think your posts and perspective have been valuable and enlightening.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

War and Pieces posted:

I mean it's sound advice for a healthy person too lije everyone should probably have one in case they get hit by a truck tomorrow

yeah i can't speak to Finland but in the US not having any advanced directives can have pretty dire consequences and it's definitely a "better to have it and not need than than need it and not have it"

and no matter how healthy you are now, you're gonna get sick and die at some point

endlessmonotony posted:

It's super frustrating, realizing how much the people around you stop caring about your problems (and you) about some weeks in.

I get it, it's a downer, and I could certainly use a break, but I'm decades in and there are no days I can neglect care.

Everyone else was done accepting my death long before it's going to happen. Well, the one that sticks anyway.

No matter how much help I get new problems are going to keep cropping up, too, and that's something people can't handle either.

grim poo poo

maybe i just hang out with very morose people but i'm used to people being fairly comfortable discussing death, maybe its just growing up with nurses and discussing end of life stuff when i was like 20, pretty disappointing and frustrating that the people in your life aren't able to handle The Most Human Experience with some grace

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Failson posted:

Well done! Hope it goes well!

Anyone experience feeling really irritable and angry in the morning, then it just slides into deep sadness by the end of the day?

It's become a consistent thing for me, and I've had no success breaking the pattern.

Have been on an SSRI for ages, and I'm wondering if it's not enough anymore.

If by consistent you mean like, 365 days a year, I'd take that as a sign that it's time to talk about adjusting your meds. AFAIK SSRIs are not by default a long-term solution, might even just need to be on a different one.

Xaris posted:

Well, my younger brother (33) is more or less determined to commit suicide. He was hospitalized earlier in Feb this year for massive withdrawls resulting in non-stop seizures and convulsions and had a liver with enzyme count and inflamation higher than anything a doctor had ever seen for someone his age, like wasn't going to make it past 45. he was there for a few weeks on ativan and discharged, and started drinking heavily again immediately and lost his job, dui, and just today was hospitalized again with massive damage. He'll probably drink again and that'll be the end. he had a big phenazepam binge blowout over a decade ago with similar issues (duis, arrests, etc) and I thought that was a wakeup call as he seemed to have been doing fairly well and stable afterwards, but I guess not.

i honestly don't have anything to say than than offering support or if he needs anything. we aren't very close (both geographical or online), and i dont think he has many friends (and maybe there was a blowup with his group recently, i don't know) and probably doesn't see much of a future. He had a fairly stable decent job for many years though. I'm not going to scold him and tell him not to because it wouldn't matter -- poo poo sucks out there. Even though he could have moved out he still lives with the parents (which was/is a very alienating mormon-lite nuclear-family white flight suburb household where rule of the household was never to talk about anything being wrong, especially about yourself, ever) which probably contributed a lot and not a healthy environment. also I guess on some level I get it.

What do you even do with someone who's determined to use a bottle-shaped-bullet? i honestly don't know. in hindsight there were probably lots of things I could have done but I don't know now.

I'd appreciate any advice people have on this, since I think my little brother is eerily similar though it's seeming like he's doing OK for the moment.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've heard this line before from people who did, in fact, try being somebody else and eventually found a new "self" that worked pretty good for them

mod edit: removed some personal information

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:39 on Jun 5, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

^^^ fuckin sucks, I've been having some pretty bad ones recently

802.11weed posted:

that’s really cool and i wish i could just, not have ridiculous anxiety and self loathing, and just be confident and chill around people. i also wish i had the courage/willpower to transition but i don’t. a single person being lovely to me irl would prob. cause me to self harm again b/c i can’t cope with even perceived rejection

good brain v. healthy. it’s all fine tho i just gotta stay away from others and not look in mirrors too much

So like, first thing I'm gonna say is I'm cis so like, trans goons please feel free to override me and discount anything I might say.

I don't know your circumstances for poo poo and that can change a lot but I've seen people transition a few times in my life and a lot of them start from this really small, miserable place, of believing that they are not good enough and that there's some reason that they're not good enough or something to change. "Other people did it but they're super cool and have all these advantages." But like. There isn't some rule where you just have to live life just surviving, getting by. You're allowed to live a life where you're thriving and doing what's best for you. I've seen people get shockingly better, brains-wise, when they transed their gender, and if you think things would be better if you were a guy/gal/other, then...why not dig into that a bit more, see if it feels right?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

802.11weed posted:

“things will get better”. i dont believe it. i force myself into positive changes, force myself into and through anxiety-inducing situations and.. i just feel worse. i’m just more aware of more things that make me feel crappy.

Thanks. It’s for the best that i’m never really myself around people, that guy’s a real depressing, annoying, pessimistic downer. my social life would be even worse if i was truthful when answering “how are you?”

I have indeed met my share of assholes. i don’t think the people around me are, though. well, kinda. they’ve made me feel like a freak since i could have my own tastes. the music i like is unlistenable, shows/movies i liked are unwatchable, art i like isn’t art, etc. if i change any habits i get questioned “so X isn’t good enough for you anymore?” “since when do you do Y?” “why would you bother doing A if you don’t do B?” very tiring. half my brain power goes to finding excuses and reasons to everything. they’re not explicitly mean about any of it, but i feel 0 respect.

I do read that thread, along with some other T communities, including a local discord. I don’t participate in any of them. They do give me some hope that this stuff is possible, that there are people doing it and thriving, living their best lives. Good for them. i get very jealous/envious. i wish i had that strength. i’ll stick to lurking, wishing i was them, as i grow my hair out and get my facial hair lasered (because i “hate shaving”). i’ll never leave the house in clothes i like and i’ll never be referred to how I’d like, and that’s ok.

It's real rough.

You sound a lot like a lot of my friends circa 5 years ago. Broke, closeted, dependent on people who hold them back, overwhelmed. The good news is that most of my friends got through that. The bad news is that it was often really tough.

This is fortunately something that your therapist can really help with: you want to live in a certain way, and that means moving out, and that means getting either more money or some alternative support. It's a lot of things all at once and given how capitalist realism grinds us all down, it can be very hard to make a plan that feels achievable.

But like, at least this stranger thinks you can do it. Would using she/her or they/them pronouns for you feel good for you?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I feel like my mood is OK but then I slept for almost 20 hours yesterday and 12+ today and I'm still kind of tired so maybe I'm loving wrong.

Goobish posted:

I think you said this very well and I'm totally stealing the 'transed their gender' line because I love it. Not sure if that's a thing the kids say or just something you made up lol. It's cute.

No idea if its "the kids," I got it from Abigail Thorn (aka PhilosophyTube) who uses that grammar a lot on Kill James Bond.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

802.11weed posted:

Thank you. I’m currently seeing a therapist who has gender stuff as one of her specialties. It’s pretty hard to talk about for me so we’ve been focusing on anxiety for now. It’s helping, and I’m getting more comfortable, I’m hoping to start talking about the heavier things soon.

As for the second thing, yes I have, but I still live with my parents so it’s very infrequent and never for very long. Feels fantastic. I don’t get much privacy, there’s a lot I’d like to do but can’t for now.

I’m planning on moving out in december. I’m both really excited and really scared. Never been on my own for more than a week or two. I hope I can manage without having to change jobs. I really like the people I work with and I’m decently confident that they would treat me well if I transitioned. Huh, I feel weird about saying “if”. I’m actually certain that I’m going to do it. When I think about the possible future where I don’t, I get really loving depressed. I don’t have a choice. I’ve seen and felt how happy it makes me. I’ve been in denial for like 16 years.

Scary times ahead. But not as scary as where my mind goes when I do nothing about it.

Oh gently caress yeah. I'm optimistic. A lot of big important moves are scary, but at least you know what you've gotta do, even if the how has some uncertainty.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

802.11weed posted:

I’ve lived in the same tiny rural town my entire life. Whenever I visit the Real City it blows my little mind. So many people, so many stores, a freakin’ bus that runs ALL day?? A subway?? Holy poo poo!

I’ve been curious about moving there for a long time but literally everyone I know irl is like “living in the city loving sucks and is hell, you’d have to be insane to like it”. Anyway I don’t think I could find non public facing work.

It would certainly be very cool to be around people who aren’t 80 years old and who don’t know me or my family , tho. I can count the number of people my age on one hand

I mean, the people who live in a small town after living in a city are almost all going to be people who prefer living in the country to living in the city. Despite being a person who lived in rural areas and then moved to a big city, I don't actually judge people much for it (a lot of people in the city go "what the gently caress is wrong with a person who'd voluntarily live in the country," but like IDK its loud). I can say that about NYC is that its loud, it smells like piss, and its crowded, so if those are dealbreakers for you thats a problem. It's expensive but like...so is everywhere nowadays, and wages are higher here than anywhere other than like Seattle. And most people only think about midtown Manhattan as NYC, its a lot less claustrophobic and smelly and busy even in like really built up areas (I'm in northern Brooklyn which is VERY dense for NYC, and like...I live on a quiet residential street that's all 3 or 4 story buildings, not like 50 story skyscrapers).

I do live in NYC and have a non-public facing job. Most people I know have one, but I mean public facing work is an option. I've done it a lot, I just happen to be in a non public facing job at the moment.

A lot of my friends are trans people who moved from the country to NYC, its a pretty common story and you'd certainly meet likeminded people, I can say that. But it's not the only city, I know other places that are good places for people fleeing their conservative rural histories.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

802.11weed posted:

I’m mostly talking about Montréal as that’s what’s closest to me. I don’t have poo poo for qualifications, so outside of manual labour idk what I could even do. I didn’t stick with college or the technical school I went to.

I’m sure I’d get used to the noise, but I dunno about the crowds. It can get pretty noisy on my street (loving motorcycles, trucks, cars with loudness mods) but it never gets crowded.

I’m staying in the country for at least another year anyway, I just signed a lease for a place I can afford. It’s going to be hard to find anything cheaper or comparable, especially considering that this town counts as a reservation for tax purposes.

I’m really excited to be on my own. Some stuff is gonna suck cus I never learned but I’ll pull through. Really looking forward to completely loving up some recipes.

Living in NYC would also be cool, but if I ever left canada it would be for an area without any snow. I don’t hate the cold but gently caress snow!! Shovelling is bullshit!!!

lol well I can say that I've never shoveled at all living in NYC, its just not my problem it's the city's.

I know there's some cool goons in Montreal. I can't recommend a Canadian moving to the US, like it's basically the same country but with medical debt. If you haven't lived in a crowded area before then, well, I guess you should give it a shot and see if it bugs you? I'm not too bothered, but I know some people get crazy crazy anxious about it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

802.11weed posted:

Going for a walk in the woods is great, except maybe half the time it’s filled with assholes on motorbikes/quads/stupid little cars that just completely destroy the trails, scare all the birds away, make a shitload of noise, try to run you over

the other half is so nice though! look @ this cutie I saw

hell yeah

on urban living, literally just ran across this quote by Claude Fisher (sociologist of urban life) that I figured I should share:

quote:

Most city dwellers lead sensible, circumscribed lives, rarely go downtown, hardly know areas of the city they neither live nor work in, and see (in any sociologically meaningful way) only a tiny fraction of the city’s population. Certainly, they may on occasion – during rush hours, football games, etc. – be in the presence of thousands of strangers, but that does not necessarily have any direct effect on their personal lives … urbanites live in small social worlds that touch but do not interpenetrate.

Really though the difference is that the city smells like piss and the country smells like poo poo.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Flora Finching posted:

Man I am feeling that poo poo. My career ended due to disability so at least I have a job counselor offering helpful advice like 'walk in to businesses by your house and ask if they're hiring' and 'you should make a LinkedIn account' and 'you should make an Instagram account'.

Any helpful tips or motivation that actually works for anyone? One thing I picked up is making a list of my top three things to accomplish for the following day, usually a list of places to look for openings and send resumes. It helps. Not a lot but it's something. The saddest little endorphin rush from crossing things off a list.

The thing I kept in mind is that, ca 2015, average of 200 job applications per offer made economy-wide. The other thing is that a large percentage (like, at least 50%) of what is on a job requirements is bullshit that's added to get the boss to leave the worker alone. Which all adds up to "quantity over quality."

Which is a little heartbreaking sure but also like, I think it's good to be realistic about the odds going in, right? Cuz most people start getting exhausted and worn down after like 10 job applications, but I think that being emotionally uninvested helps you not feel as crushed when you don't hear back for like 30 applications in a row. Also saves you a lot of effort, since really you shouldn't spend more than a few minutes per job application. Just get it out and done!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

loquacius posted:

Being informed about American politics is seriously the worst mental-health decision you could make

The incompetence and corruption goes so loving deep and so loving high that I can actually kind of understand how people become rah-rah team-blue VBNMW types because it's the only way to loving deal with it

I feel compelled to apologize to international posters who know jack poo poo about our system.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I...think I need to log off for a bit. Absolute minimum from Twitter, possibly from other sources as well. I want to be a good person, and I know that anybody who is even mildly versed in sophistry can make any action sound evil, and I know that people are just bored and playing a game when they talk about how feeding people is actually no morally better than bombing a village, but it still gets under my skin and I feel bad that I am not capable of dedicating 25 hours a day to perfectly selfless actions. As if there is such a thing as perfectly selfless action.

It doesn't even actually motivate me to take more action, I end up taking energy that I could use helping people and putting it into self-flagellation.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

tokin opposition posted:

everything was going fine, new job, apartment hunting, reaching out to new people.

and then my loving sister tries to reach out to me after years of radio silence and it's all I can do to not collapse entirely into a depression cycle

starting to think i might not have a healthy family dynamic

Seems like a safe thing to say.

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I live in a relatively expensive area, and the job opportunities in my immediate area are almost nonexistent. Moving away would require a job with somewhat decent pay, and that might actually be attainable.

Nice. I've moved several times to follow jobs, hell basically the main reason I've moved in the past. I can't imagine the stress of moving somewhere without a job.

802.11weed posted:

I spent some time with friends last night. Had alcohol for the first time in months, which was a mistake. I had a great time, but I really dislike needing booze to relax socially. Stupid crutch. I’m so nervous around people, even when I know them well and trust them. Naturally, I had too much to drink and spent today hungover. Just a constant reminder that I have no self control, that I need that crap to act normal around people. Bleh.

Is this a 'drink too much in general' or a 'get anxious and overmedicate' thing. Both are bad - at the very least you don't like it - but how you treat those is different. Would you feel comfortable saying to some friends as part of setting up a hangout "no booze please"?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've had multiple psychs express disbelief when I told them what meds I found helpful in the past (nortriptyline has had the fewest side effects of any anti depressant I've used) so clearly they're not checking that carefully or they'd have known what I got in the past.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So this week I did something. I spent most of Sunday baking cookies, and on Monday I mailed them to 10 different people in my life who I love but don't feel like I see often enough. The started arriving at people's places on Wednesday and I think the remainder will arrive by the end of today.

Ultimately wound up being a little pricey - the cookies themselves were quite cheap (snickerdoodles and chocolate snickerdoodles) and the packaging wasn't a big deal, but postage wound up being about 10 dollars a person.

But tbh it's really lifted my mood like nothing else. I feel a lot better having had the chance to contribute some smiles to people around me. Frankly some of the best 100 dollars I've ever spent in my life. So I guess there's a little mental health success story.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

youngweeed posted:

Sorry for any confusion. I do feel compelled to explain somewhat. While long winded, I don’t think my posts are that cryptic. But that post is definitely assuming some prior knowledge, in a breadcrumb style associated with mania, but worth noting I’m recently diagnosed ADHD. Mostly keeping it cryptic because I was afraid of being doxed, but probably sabotaged myself into it.

Learning the language has been fun so far. I see no negative effects from that. And is as far as I’ve gotten other than asking around for information and getting some good tips here. Not planning on posting about it any more currently as I am just kinda digging a deeper hole explaining myself in circles

So yes you do absolutely come across as quite paranoid. I'm going to give you two pieces of advice about potentially getting doxxed on the internet.

The first is that very, very few people give a poo poo about you. I understand the concern that people in your profession might not take kindly to your politics. I get that. But frankly from any sort of macro perspective so far you're just some Canadian who is thinking about emigrating. That's nothing. It's not remotely exciting enough for anybody to want to put in the effort to dox you. Even if moving to Cuba seems wild and transgressive, unless you're a billionaire who is planning to take your fortune with you to the island, the only people who care are people who would miss you because you moved away. "Random dude moves to country" is not the sort of thing that really raises a lot of alarms, its just too low stakes.

The second is that you can, and should, lie. It's simple and easy, and you're being cagey about PII in a weird way that makes you look more suspicious. You can just say you have x siblings where you have y, that you go to University A when you got University B, that you're a sophomore when you're a junior. Unless you're trying to e.g. claim to be a doctor while giving bad medical advice, nobody's going to notice or care if you do some lateral shifts on the truth. As long as you don't post a selfie and you just confidently say a few wrong things, it's going to be drat near impossible for all but the most devoted stalkers to figure out who you are. And if you do have a devoted stalker, well, that's a different problem.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Russian Remoulade posted:

My mom was on food stamps when she got out of prison so I was always aware that social assistance programs did exist, but every time I've tried to engage with the bureaucracy of getting any of those benefits I've felt so utterly dehumanized that I gave up. I'm not quite sure whether that's my particular brand of wigglebrains or the system functioning as intended but there you go.

The thing I say about social services is that any means tested service exists to deny benefits as provide them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Man my mood swings have been insane lately. Like on the whole I think I'm doing way better than I have most of my life, my lows aren't especially low and my highs are especially high, but its just incredibly unpredictable and I feel kind of insane. Not helping that my sleep is some of the worst its ever been, like I'd describe my sleep these days as "every hour roll a d12 and if a 1 comes up you pass out for an indeterminate period of time"