Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
All the new starters are really really good but fire rabbit is the best, gonna go on an adventure with that bun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

oddium posted:

im crawling in the Miinnesota Vikings Joke desert about to give up hope of ever being free. the sun beats a down on me like a solrock, or a castform sunny, or a solgaleo i guess. as the mandibuzz begin to circle i finally see my oasis. a janky 3d nostalgia cash in here to release me from this pc box of suffering

do you suppose pokemon in the pc box are uncomfortable if you set the background to "desert"? I feel bad now

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

My favourite Pokemon is Slaking because he's the gooniest

Slaking's animation when he comes out of his poke ball makes me cringe internally because he lands on his elbow in a way that clearly should break it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Mogki posted:

Yes, because neither of those things ever happens today

I don't think that that poster was suggesting that either of those things do or do not happen, only that when they do happen, it is hosed up.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

indigi posted:

I don't have the game on me now to find the exact name/stars, but there are certain lottery stalls that always give the same reward the first time you use it after it opens; one of them always gives a big nugget, one of them always gives a bottle cap or gold bottle cap. once you find a person who offers to introduce you to that stall, you favorite them, give them the coins to bring the stall to your plaza and use the stall, guaranteeing you get the item you're looking for. then you replace that stall with the other one you want, and repeat until you're out of festival coins or you have enough of whatever you want.

e: here's a guide that may explain it a little clearer, it only has the bottle cap stall and not the big nugget/gold bottle cap one though. I forget what those are called

The way to go is to get a VIP guest who offers you a Level 2 Lottery Stall of the kind that gives you a regular bottle cap (forget what it's called). Every time you level up, take the new stall Sophocles offers you and overwrite the lottery stall with it, then go to your VIP and get the lottery stall back. A Bottle Cap for the cost of 100 FC. You don't really need a way of getting gold ones once you have that set up, you can get regular ones at a decent pace.

It has to be level 2 because the level 1 gives you something else on the first try.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

oddium posted:

carnivine is 100x better than the gen v cactus

Yes. And it's also 100x worse :grin:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

RatHat posted:

More final evolution "leaks"

Obviously 99% chance they're fake but the designs are interesting to talk about. Grookey and Sobble final forms look...weird but fit a Sword/Shield theme. Scorbunny's is just kinda more speed rabbit. I guess they'd be Grass/Fighting, mono Fire, and Water/Steel? I'd be fine with that.

The final stage for Grookey is the least believable thing I have ever seen. Yeah let's make it wear stripy pyjama trousers. I quite like the second stages they came up with for Scorbunny and Sobble.

e: I just noticed that the Grookey final evo also has a front butt

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

BattleCattle posted:

Ice cream cones and keyrings are objectively good, fight me.

The keyring was a generation later

bad things about gen 5:
- a bit straight-lineish
- alomomola should clearly be related to luvdisc

good things about gen 5:
- everything else

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I don't really like that there are a lot of pokemon that can't be brought into the game and never will be (apparently) but I guess I can understand why they went down that route.

I would like to understand a bit more about this "Pokemon Home". I guess it's the Switch edition of Pokemon Bank, and you will be able to bring forward all your pokemon from Bank into Home (maybe after a launch delay)? Even the ones that aren't in Sword/Shield (but you won't be able to import them into Sword/Shield, they'll just be stuck in Home)? Is that what it's expected to be?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

King of Solomon posted:

I actually don't think it is. I think they were probably starting work on implementing a national dex, noticed that they were approaching 1000 Pokemon, and realize that the model was unsustainable and something needed to change eventually. Was it possible to reasonably implement a national dex in SwSh? Based on what we've seen, almost certainly yes, but that isn't always going to be true.

But the national dex was already missing from Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. You could import all the pokemon from previous games and play with them, you just couldn't view entries for all of them in the pokedex.

I feel like describing the absence of pokemon from the game in terms that suggest what's being discussed is the removal of the national pokedex, when actually that's a different thing that already happened, isn't very helpful for communication.

It seems to me that there are 2 things that are a concern about the ever increasing number of pokemon and those are (1) the need to keep updating models and animations, which is a tax they have to keep paying with artist and animator time; (2) the fact that they keep adding dumb things like Silvally's Memories and Genesect's Drives and what not, which require them to include dozens of irritating NPCs somewhere in every future game, who show up (unwanted by most players) to say "if you have a robot bug pokemon then I have some cool items I can give you".

edit: (2) isn't even really a problem because they could just have a shop somewhere in the postgame that sells all of the stupid items needed for the gimmick pokemon from previous generations. But they don't do that for some reason, they always go for an NPC per legendary who will talk your ear off about it.

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 10, 2019

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

King of Solomon posted:

I'm definitely talking about the ability to import and play with every old pokemon; that's why I specifically drew attention to the number of pokemon you can theoretically acquire.

Sure, I didn't intend to criticise you personally, just the terminology that everyone (me and you included) is using

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

indigi posted:

swing and a miss

It was missing. That statement of mine was a correct statement.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Generation_VII#Alterations_from_Generation_VI

"The abandonment of the following elements: ... The National Pokédex, with Pokémon from outside the Alola Pokédex having no Pokédex entry at all."

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

indigi posted:

yeah and if people were talking about missing Pokedex entries you might have a point

I'm aware that that's not what they mean to talk about when they refer to the "national dex" being missing. You could not possibly have read even the first paragraph of that post you quoted from if you came away believing that I don't understand the difference between the two things. You literally read the first sentence of my post and didn't read any further, so desperate were you to post a tepid bit of snark.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah you're technically correct but people are complaining about the missing pokemon not the fact that the pokedex itself is incomplete. Worrying about the terminology is stupid because you'd have to be willfully dense to think people were talking about the actual dex descriptions and not the hundreds of cut mons when talking about the national dex in this context.

I disagree, because the removal of the national dex (and here I mean to refer to the pokedex entries) was something that was complained about when Sun/Moon came out, so it isn't unreasonable to suppose when people complain about something different using the same terminology that they are actually complaining about the original thing. To refer to something different using the same language is avoidable ambiguity.

I hadn't been following the news about Sword/Shield until the last few days when I realised that the release is getting near, and I was confused reading people's posts at first because they kept referring to the national dex being removed and I was just thinking "so? That isn't a new thing".

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I'm very happy to admit that I'm wasting time and achieving nothing of value by arguing about terminology in the Pokemon thread on a dying internet forum. But I won't agree that the matter itself isn't important (to the extent that anything to do with Pokemon is important, which of course is to no extent at all) because naming things well is important, and difficult.

Anyway, I think it's a pity that I won't be able to play with all my pokemon friends in the switch game, but I understand why they did it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

The Bee posted:

Problem is, (1) isn't a problem either. They use the same models as X and Y and barely animate. The shaders are different, but that's about it, and I'm not sure if that needs to be programmed for every Pokemon or if its a global lighting effect. The whole point of X and Y (which, tbh? Feels like a way more ambitious generational jump even if its responsible for many of the flaws that've hit Pokemon since the 3DS era) was to make 1 a nonissue, or at least less of one.

I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt but I think you're probably right. And I'm pretty sure I remember it being discussed at the time that the gen 6 models were a lot more detailed than was really justified for the 3DS, so they'd probably look acceptable on the switch.

And they could just move to a mode of working where they don't always update every model whenever they do a new game with a round of updates - they just update the ones that can be found/caught in that game and need an update. Yes players would whine that their favourite pokemon hasn't been updated and why does Game Freak never give it any love etc. but it would just be the background complaining that always happens, not a massive controversy like this one.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
If anything, removing moves makes more sense than removing pokemon, because each move gets its own, more or less unique animation and I suspect even if they chose not to update animations, they'd still have a substantial amount of work to do at every platform change.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Because I didn't see the pastebin link posted in this thread yet here it is

Removed moves

https://pastebin.com/3FTfUgzd

There are 144 items in the list but some of them are duplicates

Some are moves that duplicate other, distinct moves (e.g. Me First is gone but Follow Me isn't)

A lot are either Z-moves or signature moves I think, there are a lot of moves there that I don't recognize

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Any info on Galar's battle facility?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Flopsy posted:

So the moves themselves are completely removed? I'm not clear if this is like removing soft-boiled from Clefable etc. Also if so, holy poo poo why are they removing hidden power it's a serious crutch move for a lot of pokemon!

They are removed from the game. They aren't programmed in.

Someone was saying that there's placeholder text or something, so that the game doesn't crash if you somehow get an old mon into the game that has the moves. But they aren't usable.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I'll be upset if there are TRs that you can only ever get one of, like in the bad old days of one-use TMs. As long as you can get as many as you want (possibly subject to earning BP or whatever) I'm not so bothered.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Nanigans posted:

"This move can’t be used. It’s recommended that this move is forgotten. Once forgotten, this move can’t be remembered."

You will not be able to keep those moves on Pokémon you transfer up. They will be deleted once the creature is transferred over.

Is this known for certain?

The fact that it says it's recommended that the move be forgotten suggests it's optional. The message is pretty clear that even if you keep the move, you won't be able to use it.

It doesn't seem like we can know what Pokemon Home will do if you transfer in mons that know moves that aren't in Sword/Shield. It is generally believed that it will allow you to transfer in mons of species that aren't in Sword/Shield, so it seems feasible that it might let you keep moves that aren't in Sword/Shield too.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Nanigans posted:

I'm assuming recommended is their way of saying "either delete the move or you can't transfer the Pokémon into Sw/Sh."

Which is fine. If they aren't in the game anyway, why bother deleting their moves. But if you want to transfer your Machamp to use in Sw/Sh, make sure it doesn't have Karate Chop.

Where does that wording you quoted come from? I had assumed it is in-game text from Sword/Shield itself, but maybe that was me jumping to conclusions.

If it is in-game text, then it suggests that the mon is already in the game and the game is suggesting that you should delete the move (because you won't be able to use it anyway). If it's text from somewhere outside the game, like a quote from Game Freak or something, then I was mistaken.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

thebardyspoon posted:

So judging by the early impressions of the late/post game it sounds like when I finish Sword/Shield I might have a hankering for more pocket monsters so I was thinking about Moon. If I have gotten up to like, the third gym trial thing before getting distracted and dropping it would it be better to get back into that or potentially buy Ultra Sun/Moon? Was thinking about doing that but was just wondering if the upgrades would be worth the purchase or not? It's been long enough that I barely remember where I was at as well so it'd basically be all new to me. The other option would be black/white 2 potentially.

There's more content generally in Ultra Sun/Moon. The story was altered, and some people were less satisfied with the new story. You'll have to decide whether the story is important enough to you.

There's also a lot of really good content in Black/White 2 (but Join Avenue is probably less good now that they aren't the current games)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Nanigans posted:

It's taken from the data mine. That line of text is the "move description" for the deleted moves.

Well then it sounds to me like they were prepared for mons arriving in the game with the deleted moves still learned, and that text is the game's way of telling you "you should delete this, dummy" (but you don't have to)

Who knows whether Home will automatically delete moves though

Nanigans posted:

See that little bag symbol x0? That means you have zero in your bag. Meaning you can more than one in your bag. Meaning as long as you have Watts (wild area currency,) you can buy more. They're tutors by another name.

Do we know whether they are all buyable, or are there some that you only get one of

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Flopsy posted:

Because they haven't chopped out the entire dex since gen 2 or removed a giant chunk of the moves before? I was preparing at least for the dexit cut now new poo poo is cropping up that made a bunch of effort for loving nothing. Good to see you share the same amount of brain matter and foresight as the anime dude in your avatar. I'm amazed you've managed to type this much without choking to death on Gamefreak's boot.

if u want a screengrab of the future, imagine gamefreak's boot stamping on a gamer's face... 4ever...

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Perfect Potato posted:

Edit: I don't know why this poo poo's so hard to load sometimes and honestly I put about as much effort in my posts as gamefreak so gently caress it

what the hell? It looks like it's running on a Nintendo 64

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

After seeing what the actual game looks and plays in streams, a leaker indicating that the REAL reason the full dex got culled is because GameFreak hosed up the animation/model importing process from DS to Switch and was forced to scramble and redo everything sounds like 100% the truth.

What could possibly be wrong with their model/animation conversion code that would mean it would be more viable to re-do several hundred mons' models and animations than to just fix the conversion? This doesn't sound feasible at all.

I hope they fix the pop-in with a patch. It's not a big enough deal to stop me buying the game but it is awful.

On the other hand, if the GTS is missing entirely that might be a deal breaker. It's not really gone is it?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Hiding the game's volume options behind a key item is hilarious and an extremely Gamefreak thing to do.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

DemoneeHo posted:

Banned from England:
Azumarill
Altaria

As Kurieg says, data exists in the game for Alolan Ninetails, Incineroar, Decidueye and Alolan Raichu

absolute barbarians

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
There is a dump of generic (non-story-related) text from the game on GitHub. Not sure if it's considered :files:

Looked through it to see if the GTS is still in under another name. Searched for "trade" and "looking". Didn't see anything that looked like the sorts of messages that have appeared in GTS.

There are a bunch of trading related messages that look like they are about trades that aren't pre-arranged. e.g. "Link Trades help expand your horizons! I’m looking to trade. How about you?"

I suspect that GTS is removed and that the only ways to trade with randoms are the ones that are for trading with people who are online at the same time as you. Which tends to be a bit tiresome since (based on previous generations) they never give you the tools to communicate what you want to the other person, and a lot of the people you encounter are the sort of people who just show you their hacked shinies and whatever. Of course, wading through the nonsense on the GTS to find the rare trades that were on actually reasonable terms was always a chore, too.

There seems to be some kind of replacement for the EV-training Poke Pelago island. "We’ve started offering a seminar that’ll increase HP base points! We’re looking for students to prove its effectiveness!" (and similar messages for the other 5 stats)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Well, people might have had the same reaction to gen 7 on hearing that gyms were not in the game. But what they were replaced with turned out to be a really good change. It's not about them not being there, it's about what is there instead.

... What is there instead?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

A tournament instead of E4, so you battle 4 trainers regardless. Victory road apparently is a hallway with 6 trainers.

Well if it's like the PWT from BW2 and the trainers have decent teams I could get behind that I guess.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

We know nothing about Home and what I'm about to say is disingenuous, BUT, Tencent is in a partnership with Nintendo to get the Switch in China, and with TPCi to develop an app for them. What if it turns out Tencent('s hiring a company that will) develops Pokemon Home.

You nickname your pokemon the wrong thing and it's gone for whatever reason.

Falun Bong the Bronzong has been taken away for re-training

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Zuzie posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one baffled by Swanna's exclusion.

Well you can't have trainers owning swans in Galah, see, because her maj owns them all.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Best starters of any generation. Shame about how Grookey turned out, but the other 2 are gold.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

qnqnx posted:

There has been online some really loving weird spite

If only there was some aphorism that could summarise the mentality and behaviour of people on the internet

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I really feel like I might need both a Scorbunny and a Sobble, they are both just so good and so are their evolutions

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Squats posted:

Is the wild pokemon calling for help mechanic back? That could help alleviate the scarcity. Otherwise how would we evolve any Sirfetches after beating all the trainers in game?

Someone mentioned being able to rebattle gym leaders I think

great info, please keep us updated on all the furry homestuck forum news

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Flopsy posted:

I'll give credit where it's definitely due, it looks like they finally did something about the gormless look the player character constantly had during sun and moon. It looks amazingly better where your guy/girl isn't looking death in the face and is making the :downs: expression.

does your character still swing their arms like an idiot as part of the walking animation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

I'm having trouble figuring out how many levels of irony this is on