Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Bought Let's Go on a whim after the Sword/Shield announcement and I'm having a grand old time even if it does feel weird and different. I assume there's still version exclusive mons and trade-only evos? Or can I solve those with fancy enough chains or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alxprit posted:

drat I thought people wrote off Kommo-o as a non-competitor.
I'd imagine it's some combination of getting around Substitute, setting Stealth Rock, and the +1 boost to every stat from the Z-move? Plus I guess the best of its three marginal abilities will just randomly screw some Shadow Ball or Gyro Ball users.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So it's 2019 and gamefaqs is totally not a thing anymore, is there like, a "guide" for Let's Go? I want to know how shiny chaining mechanics work, and any mons that I'm likely to miss if I just slackjaw stare at my pokedex and talk to every NPC but nothing else, and stuff like that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh sick, I knew serebii had legendary locations for ORAS (the fuckin' Soar stuff) but then I totally forgot it existed in the last years somehow, thank you!

edit: ugh, I wasn't wrong, Headbutt is really the best STAB option Eevee gets? Since you can't Veevee Volley at will and the other options are Take Down, Double Edge, and Facade. Why didn't they give it Body Slam or something? Not asking for Thrash even, I know the gen 1 movesets are limited even with the random later-gen move additions :(

Game Freak shoulda just shrugged their shoulders and given Eevee Boomburst because gently caress you that's why take a million

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 3, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zuzie posted:

They really want Eevee to use its other signature moves like Buzzy Buzz and Baddy Bad.
I mean, 3/4 of my moveset has been those moves the entire time since they first gave them to me, only stopping briefly to swap one out for another, but sometimes you hit something that isn't weak to any of the ones you're packing.

What I'm actually surprised by is that you can't just get Veevee Volley, since it's literally just Return and that not being in this game would make it stand out even more.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Use the French names so we get rad poo poo like "Ronflex" and "Ohmassacre"
Use the German so we get RELAXO and SMETTBO and whatever else was in the German Pokerap in all caps on screen

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oyster posted:

Buzzy Buzz, Baddy Bad, Glitzy Glow, Bouncy Bubble.
This is way better, I was trying to lean on Freezy Frost against flying (and Dragonite can eat a dick) but sacrificing Buzzy Buzz gave me coverage issues and I hadn't rethought the plan. (and yeah, good thing this is gen 1, so I can cover 100% of ghosts with Psychic and Water and bugs with Electric and Psychic and so on)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, so then why not just teach Eevee Return if you really want a STAB move?
There's not a Return TM or Move Tutor in LGPE, is there? That was literally what prompted my complaints.

(although I'm just gonna live with having a Jolly nature because speed is better than 10% of my spatk anyway and go with 4 of the fancy moves rather than 3+stab)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

less laughter posted:

M R . M I M E
I unironically did not know Mr. Mime was Fairy type now until I ran into the first one in Vermilion City

despite having played through Sun and assembled a living alolan dex and the whole nine yards I still have no idea what is and is not a Fairy out of past mons

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Avalerion posted:

I got moon so that most of my playtime would have day time.
I got Sun so that most of my playtime would have Dusk Balls working.

if we ever meet we will annihilate in a flash of energy or something

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Can you really not chain for the fossil pokes in LGPE, boo

(the real "boo" is the lack of a GTS so I can't get version exclusives/trade evos without talking to other people oh god)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
diggin' Leon's shorts

and also Sonia's floating glasses and stupid hair

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SirBukkake posted:

And the supposed bad guys are Team Yellow

...I hope that means we get an 8bit soundtrack by YMCK.
Team Yell (Dead Cell)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I gotta admit that fake leak's pun name game is on point

Seagulp and Booracuda and Antorch could all be real names

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

To the contrary, I had more fun with Let's Go than USUM and I would have been overjoyed to play Let's Go Johto.
Yeah, I expected to dislike Let's Go, but then when I watched someone streaming it I decided to give it a shot and it was actually super fun. Streamlined gameplay without actually removing anything I disliked. Plus Eevee is cute.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mesadoram posted:

Honestly, I would be so happy if they had a way to change natures. The breeding grind burned me out real hard this generation (even though it is arguable the easiest it has ever been).

Also, the ability to change what ball a Pokemon is in would be pretty cool too. Not needed, but it will make my life easier as all of the Pokemon that I PvP with must be in luxury balls.
I am okay with nature changing but for some reason changing balls is absolutely verboten. That requires effort to get them all pretty dammit, you can't just shortcut that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flopsy posted:

Here's the poo poo I care about : Will we finally be able to nickname pokemon from other trainers? Because that's one of the worst things pokemon has insisted upon over the years and it's never not been insufferable.
Even if they make it "you can rename pokemon from other trainers only if they're from the same language cart" that would be great, I don't mind keeping unreadable Japanese names that probably are penis innuendos

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Don’t modern games let you pick your language though?
At the start, yeah, but isn't it not changeable without a new save? LGPE had a dialogue that was like "pick a language you can't change this ask your parents if you're not sure" or something, didn't it?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Funky Valentine posted:

Now that you don't need Heart Scales for move relearning, what purpose does Luvdisc serve?
well it's okay cause it won't be in the game anyway

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

galagazombie posted:

Thanks, Gen 1 it is then. Weird how there's always these Pokemon I want to use that seem to always have something stopping me, like Skarmory and Houndoom not being available till the games more or less over in Johto or literally every gen 5 pokemon not evolving until the end times.
Fixed that for ya.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oxyclean posted:

I thought that felt wrong. Just remembered that it lost one of ground/rock evolving from Pupitar.
Just remember it's weak to Earthquake :eng101:

(this is unironically how I remember its typing)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

You can also go to the website on your phone or whatever and buy there, it will download automatically if your account is linked to your switch
Yeah, the online shop is fully integrated if you have already linked your account to your Switch - pretty sure you can manage your wishlist and everything, it's got full feature parity that I know of.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oxyclean posted:

It's been 7 generations. Just let Kadabra and Machoke evolve without a trade.
Also raise base stats/expand movesets on the literally unusable trash mons to at least make them mildly interesting, and who cares if it breaks backwards compatibility because they already are with Bank and Home and all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Za Mazenta is my favorite Jojo quote

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That song's great, digging it a lot. Hope everything else in the game is as good quality-level-wise.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mesadoram posted:

Did they officially say that the Pokebank was not going to work? Because if that's the case I am going to remove all my Pokemon from that and just toss them in my Ultra Sun save.
The last I heard the path is USUM <---> Bank ---> Home <---> SS

Since the Bank to Home path is one-way and only one-way, you can't get anything backwards, and anything not in Galar is stuck in Home until they release something new to transfer those friends to.

(I could be wrong about being able to transfer formerly-Banked mons from Home to SS if they are present in Galar, someone sing out if I am)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"But this is where the most apparent ignorance lies. Back in 2016, there was a poll in Japan to see what fan's favourite Pokémon were. Out of the top 100, only 23 Pokémon were included in Sw/Sh. "

:rip: all the good Pokémon :rip:
I wonder if this is because a casual player's fan favorite is more likely to be a legendary? Like, out of the top 100, minus legendaries, what percentage are in? Does it go up significantly?

(link me, link the list, I'll do the math myself, screw it)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

If I remember correctly, they said upfront the winner of the vote would be distributed as a shiny event mon or whatever, and as such it horribly skewed all the votes
Oh, this is lame then. But I might do it with the reddit list because that was guaranteed to be meaningless.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I got the list of what reddit wants to see but I'm lazy, can someone post the full Galar 400 for me so I can check it against reddit's top 100, I tried serebii but I'm not sure it has them all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

here's an returning chart that has a pokemon returning that wasn't listed as returning in the chart already posted in the thread Stantler

This'll do just fine, thanks! I'm not spoiler tagging that Mew and Charmander are back, because the former's public marketing knowledge and the latter's been in this thread without tags on this page.

Reddit's top 100 list: https://pastebin.com/MP2BXBAS

Of the 100, Rayquaza, Mewtwo, Lugia, Darkrai, Giratina, Suicune, and Articuno are legendary, so we're down to 93 (plus Mew, which I am going to count even though it's #401+) possible.

Of those 93, 22 are non-Charmander starters, eliminated right out of the gate for whatever reason Game Freak had. So we're down to 71 possibles total, keeping Mew, Charizard, and Charmander to be as generous as possible here (Nobody loves Charmeleon, evidently. Shoutout to Quilava for making the drat list somehow? Also to Flareon for being the only missing Eeveelution for reasons that make perfect sense.)

Collapsing the evolution lines - multiple Eeveelutions, Pikachu and Raichu, etc, we get this list, ordered by popularity, first species in the line:
Charizard, Charmander
Gengar, Haunter
Arcanine, Growlithe
Umbreon, Eevee, Espeon, Jolteon, Sylveon, Vaporeon, Glaceon
Lucario
Gardevoir, Gallade
Dragonite, Dragonair
Absol
Ampharos
Flygon
Ninetales, Vulpix
Tyranitar
Snorlax
Luxray
Scizor, Scyther
Garchomp
Metagross
Alakazam
Cubone
Aggron
Pikachu, Raichu
Volcarona
Mimikyu
Psyduck
Heracross
Mew
Nidoking
Gyarados
Mawile
Sableye
Lapras
Crobat
Breloom
Milotic
Chandelure
Salamence
Dunsparce
Sandshrew, Sandslash
Weavile
Ditto
Houndoom
Shuckle
Aegislash
Hydreigon
Togekiss
Jigglypuff
Zoroark
Porygon-Z
Ludicolo
Froslass
Staraptor
Whimsicott
Altaria
Skarmory
Furret
Gliscor

...for a total of 55 evolution lines and 71 unique pokemon that people would really like to see in Galar.

Now it's spoiler time, let's use that chart:

Charizard/Charmander - yes
Gengar, Haunter - yes
Arcanine, Growlithe - yes
Umbreon, Eevee, Espeon, Jolteon, Sylveon, Vaporeon, Glaceon - yes
Lucario - yes
Gardevoir / Gallade - yes
Dragonite, Dragonair - no
Absol - no
Ampharos - no
Flygon - yes
Ninetales, Vulpix - yes
Tyranitar - yes
Snorlax - yes
Luxray - no
Scizor, Scyther - no
Garchomp - no
Metagross - no
Alakazam - no
Cubone - no
Aggron - no
Pikachu, Raichu - yes
Volcarona - no
Mimikyu - yes
Psyduck - no
Heracross - no
Mew - yes
Nidoking - no
Gyarados - no
Mawile - yes
Sableye - yes
Lapras - yes
Crobat - no
Breloom - no
Milotic - yes
Chandelure - yes
Salamence - no
Dunsparce - no
Sandshrew, Sandslash - no
Weavile - yes
Ditto - yes
Houndoom - no
Shuckle - yes
Aegislash - yes
Hydreigon - yes
Togekiss - yes
Jigglypuff - no
Zoroark - no
Porygon-Z - no, although I had thought yes?
Ludicolo - yes
Froslass - yes
Staraptor - no
Whimsicott - yes
Altaria - no
Skarmory - no
Furret - no
Gliscor - no

So of a possible 56 unique evolution lines (including Mew and Charmander), 27 are in Galar.

I'm surprised it's so low. I mean, that's low.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vandar posted:

No Smeargle though, so there go a large chunk of breeding moves.
honestly I figured Ditto and Smeargle and Pikachu were like, the three most lock pokemon, for that exact reason

sucks

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Scholtz posted:

Look, I get it, Dunsparce and Cryogonal aren't exactly popular, and that's a small part of why I like them.

But this hurts...
Dunsparce's on the reddit top 100 list, even if everyone forgot about its evolved form Jernflap

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Araxxor posted:

You can now renickname traded Pokemon if they didn't have a nickname in the first place. However the nickname you give it is permanent.
What an arbitrary choice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zuzie posted:

Or, here's a novel idea, expand movepools enough so that Pokemon don't actually need Hidden Power to compete.
The real novel idea is to do this and also nerf HP, because the reason it's "needed" is that it gives literally any coverage you want at a marginal-to-zero cost of relevant stats. Like, it just shouldn't exist as a move that can be literal any type. It's completely different from every other move, etc

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oyster posted:

The 5th gen games, Black, White, Black 2, White 2, can transfer the contents of Box 1 of the PC to Bank via a separate app, PokeTransporter. That app comes with Bank.

4th gen games cannot interface with Bank or Transporter, only 5th gen, and only the first box of the PC.

As we know it now, Bank -> Home is a one-way transfer, as is Let's Go -> Home and Go -> Home. Home and SwSh have two way transfer capability but only for those that are in SwSh. There is no way (that we know of) to transfer directly from 3DS games to Home.
For slightly more info, you can do 3rd gen -> 4th gen by putting the GBA cart and the DS cart in the two slots of a DS (via Pal Park), then 4th -> 5th with two DSes (via uh... that building where you do the stupid slingshot minigame, I don't remember the name), and then 5th directly to Bank (one PC box at a time) via Poke Transporter, and 6th has native Bank integration.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Bee posted:

A Pokemon game where you had to work a match to get the approval of the crowd would be pretty interesting, ngl.
Paper Mario: TTYD style where the crowd can throw rocks at one or both Pokemon or the ceiling can fall if you use a powerful move or whatever

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I made that joke over in the Switch thread and Happy Noodle Boy nailed the response:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

extra row of teeth posted:

Also breaking your rival’s spirit was the only good part about the cheerio and apple juice vomit that was that kiddie trash excuse of a story. Like I would have been insulted and felt infantilized by that story if I played it as a literal infant
Did you miss the part where Mister Totally Not Genodical Maniac invented a device called the Holo Caster

I genuinely don't know if the translators were having fun with that one or they just stone didn't realize what they had done at all

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DemoneeHo posted:

We know absolutely nothing about Home, besides that it's going to be the new Pokemon Bank for storage. They have been very tight lipped about it.
Do we even know that it's mobile-only? I figured it would also be on the Switch, where the games are, but everyone's saying "my phone" and I know zero, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Did I misread that list of removed moves from Reddit, or is Barrier gone while Light Screen stays? That makes no sense.