Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So a friend told me there's a Japanese folklore story about rabbits, monkeys, and frogs called Chōjū-jinbutsu-giga.

Sobble being a chameleon slightly falters this, but otherwise it fits the bill for the starters, pretty neat.

I mean, you can just google this, but they're a set of famous paintings, not anything from folklore. It's more like Dogs Playing Poker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Looks like you go north but then it branches out much like Kanto

Yeah. There's a super high-resolution version of the map floating around out there, and it's clear that most of the gyms are spread out around the central area. It isn't just a line going south the north.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That sort of joke is usually written for parents, actually, not the kids. The kids are unlikely to know who the Minnesota Vikings are anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SMH that people don't just use the first 6 bugs they meet every game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bug Eevee

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zuzie posted:

IVs and EVs are fine as it allows for a crazy amount customization (where even 2 Pokémon of the same species, ability and set of moves can function a bit differently from one another). It's really the base stats and movepools for these Pokémon that need to be tweaked.

EVs are fine, but I think IVs are bad because you generally just want everything maxed out except maybe the stats you want to be low for some gimmick reason. Unlike IVs, you don't have to make any kind of trade-off: some mons are just strictly better than others. I don't think they add enough to the game to be worth the huge pain in the rear end.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, isn't Poke Pelago a way to get perfect EVs with no effort at all?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nanigans posted:

On that note, there are 1200 species of bats.

Gimme more adorable bats and less goddamn stupid fish. :argh:

Pretty sure there are more than 1200 species of fish.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to point out that Warrgle is just as much of a localization as Braviary is. Its name in Japanese is ウォーグル. If you can't read that then... you're screwed I guess. You'll have to read a translation. Them's the breaks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've been completely out of the loop on this but when I noticed it was coming out soon I encountered the abstract idea of controversy without any details. Someone explain: is this game good or bad?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Framboise posted:

You're really going to struggle to get an objective answer anywhere because it's extremely polarizing. Some people are thinking it's the absolute worst most insulting thing ever, and others are very excited.

The game has flaws, some of which may be frustrating. If you can accept that, get the game and have fun! If not, you're probably better off giving the game a miss and either playing something more worth your money or join the dead horse beating riot.

I think it's gonna be ok. Not amazing, not mindblowing. But it'll be ok and I'll grab it.

Sounds good to me. I have not once in my life expected to have my mind blown by a pokemon game.

They're all single type?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Weird, but I was going to do an all Bug team anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

...Does this game have bugs?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ice-Bug sounds cool. That's a new combination iirc.

Edit: Also a terrible combination, now that I think about it?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Because what I want Pokemon to become is Fire Emblem.

I mean, you've already got the petting and the breeding.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Framboise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJHWqdLufYw

national treasure of a human being Tim Rogers of Kotaku says he loves SwSh and the dude is typically hyper-critical of games-- and I trust his opinion and therefore am convinced the game is Good

this is not a full extensive review (seriously the guy puts out hour+ reviews) due to the review embargo limits, so he'll have more to say later, but after hearing what he has to say I am officially Excited

Preordered.

Also Wooloo is great.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ariong posted:

I agree that the outcry surrounding this game is overblown. However, I am also quite irritated by the overdramatic backlash that I see to that outcry, particularly in this thread. All of the "Well it's STUPID to care about graphics and stuff as long as I get to make pokemon friends!" is ridiculous. It's okay to like something and have standards for it. I like pokemon. I'll probably like this one. I'm frustrated by how little improvement or progress is made between installments. Comparing it to Breath of the Wild is absurd, but I did expect it to look better than it does. The designs of the regular pokemon are all quite nice, and I really like the Galar forms, but I find the legendaries to be a bit offputting.

I don't recall liking a single legendary design in the history of the series, but that sheep pokemon looks incredibly cute and that's really what I want out of the graphics.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

TBH the part that most worries me is the level curve. It's been rather annoying how easy it is to overlevel everything in more recent games.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eiba posted:

The TRs don't bother me much because you can grind them out infinitely. They're more like portable move tutors than old TMs.

One TM per playthrough was the garbage we left behind and shall never revisit.

Grinding is still dumb.

I'm excited for this game but I would call it a flaw, at least.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

I haven't noticed any differences with catch rate yet? :confused: I think the max number of pokeballs I've used in a single battle was three.

In my experience it seemed to get way worse as soon as you start finding mid- or final-tier evolution in the wild. To the point where I stopped trying to catch anything at all since catching even one thing was harder than a Gym Leader fights (and the wild pokemon start outleveling trainers too).

In unrelated news, reports that this game was too easy seem to have been exaggerated. As soon as I switched my starter out of my all-Bug team, the difficulty became surprisingly engaging. Harder than SM was at any rate.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Re: leveling curve: basically what they did was shift a lot more or the XP into wild pokemon and a lot less from trainers. Which means it's much easier to control how much XP you earn by avoiding wild encounters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Countblanc posted:

yeah set has made gym leaders a bit more intimidating, ive definitely lost mons. the ice gym actally took me down to 3!

Wait, do the different versions have different gyms? I never saw an ice gym.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Countblanc posted:

theres two version exclusive gyms

fighting : ghost
rock : ice

idk if the ghost/fighting leaders have any story relation but the rock leader is the ice leader's son

That explains why the gym on the snow mountain was suddenly Rock type for no explicable reason.

And totally destroyed my Bug team.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ice/Moth sucks. I had it in my party as long as I could, but it was never useful even once.

The dragon gym even uses Stealth Rock which is lol.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I beat the game in 21 hours because I only care about Bugs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Shield version of Sirfetch'd is the Psychic/Fairy Galarian Rapidash, iirc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endgame spoilers: the legendary skeleton dragon that was going to destroy the country has the personality of "Sassy" for me and that is inherently amusing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Where is Ditto in this game anyway?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I use Quick Balls and if that doesn't work I run.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Avalerion posted:

I didn't like the championship just being people you fought before - recently even with how quick the pacing in this one is. The champion fight itself was cool though, and even managed to be pretty close - got there at a 5 level disadvantage, in the end I was down to one last pokemon and had to cheese it with a max revive.

Another thing I missed was a "hall of fame" slide where it shows what teams you used to beat each gym up to the finals.

I don't think reusing the Gym leaders like that is a bad idea, at least in principle. I think it's better to give them more focus as characters, rather than introduce even more people who you will never see again. And frankly it kind of explains the relationship between gym leaders and the league champion in a much more concrete and logical way than any Pokemon game has done before.

Not that the game necessarily cashed in on these character development opportunities, but I didn't mind it at least.

In general I feel like this game's plot would have been much better if it just scrapped every last bit of the legendary/secret organization plot lines and just decided to be a sports drama, because that's really where it shined. Presentation-wise, at least.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ungulateman posted:

so, wait, the game's thematic message is "climate change is fake and we should keep doing what we're doing"? uhhhhhhhh

Isn't it more like "oil is an evil dragon that wants to kill everyone"?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Without spoiling too much, is there any plot stuff between the second to last fight of the tournament and the champion fight?

Yes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dad Jokes posted:

lmao, the salandit during the fire gym challenge is so rude

I was not expecting my own ai buddy to be sabotaging me

It's a competition, of course they're sabotaging you. They were never on your side.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I also chose 666, because I didn't want to be generic with 69 or 420, but also hail satan

I chose 255 because it was the only 3 digit number I could think of other than 420.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't remember a single thing about gen 2 except all the stuff that came rushing back as soon as I started this sentence.

Wow, that was an experience.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like both Sword and Moon. They are currently my favorite Pokemon games because they don't have HMs and I always hated that poo poo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the tournament spectacle was still at least 5 times as interesting as literally any Pokemon plot involving legendaries has ever been.

I seriously do not care about your stupid looking dog, and I never will.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, I wish they'd just commit to telling an actual tournament arc story instead of having a bland tournament papered over some legend nonsense that they don't even do anything interesting with. I want to see an actual sport story Pokemon game.

That said I do think the music and spectacle of the gym battles was consistently pretty hype in this game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Skyelan posted:

see i sort of dug that, myself. like if everything is Big Competitive Sports Time, then being a gym leader means you're already proven as someone great. so you get a secured spot at each championship, where you actually use a (closer to) real team and try to scramble to the top of the pile and beat the champion yourself.

...that or i'm just projecting and filling in blanks the game flubbed. v:v:v

(rad remix tune at least tho)

The game said exactly that. That the Gym Leaders weren't using their main teams in the original fights, those were only meant as a test for challengers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am willing to catch a Wooloo in a Beast Ball and then not trade it with anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Avalerion posted:

He’s unbeatable because everyone keeps trying to run easily countered monoteams and can’t count to 6.

What kind of coward doesn't run a monoteam?

JBP posted:

There seems to be a lot of reviews stating it's disappointing and just wondered by what metric. She won't care about anything other than collecting Pokemon so if it does that well we are all good. Thanks goons.

It's probably one of the best games ever for just collecting Pokemon because of how the Wild Area works.