Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

less laughter posted:

We had Dodrio Tower then.

I didn't. It took 9 year old me months to get my Venusaur to level 100. But it felt *so rewarding* back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I want that cotton-candy-looking psychic-fairy type Pokemon. I need it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The severely butchered Pokedex is a real, genuine bummer but I'm genuinely excited for the game. I just don't think it's worth the absolute pant-making GBS threads meltdown that people have been having over it. Like, I just ventured a peek into r/Pokemon and it's as if these people were all just told their pet's throat will be slit in front of their eyes when they get home at the end of the day.

On the other hand, my very favorite pokemon are still in the game so the bummer is minimized.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If you could manipulate Hidden Power it wouldn't be very hidden, now would it?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Er, which one? There's two, the hat witch and pastel goth Rapidash.

b o t h

I am so getting Shield version. Psychic/Fairy is easily my favorite type combo since they're my favorite types.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Wait so how do you evolve them then?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Dexit sucks and people have a right to be mad about it, whether they post on Reddit or not.

Grown adults throwing literal baby tantrums over a loving video game and sending literal death threats to Masuda and co. absolutely deserve to be mocked relentlessly.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

d3lness posted:

There's a difference between being disappointed that their pals are AWOL and a bunch of sociopaths having a normal one. It's always important to disown the shitheads when you talk about that stuff. Sure some people overcooked it, but it is a collection game for a bunch of those people. Telling people why they should or shouldn't enjoy a game is kinda silly.

I get it. I'm bummed about the National Pokedex being butchered too. It's disappointing but I'll still buy it and play it all the same.

Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm equating the people "just disappointed" to those who have gone completely psycho over it-- but a lot of those "just disappointed" people are making pretty big fools of themselves throwing big fits about it too. And likewise, them saying the people who are excited for the game shouldn't be because it's just proof that Pokemon is ruined and Game Freak is evil and lazy and you're part of the problem if you buy the game is silly.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I was feeling Sobble and still am I guess, but Intelleon is kind of a boring design. All the starters this time are kinda dull imo. My enthusiasm for them are as low as it was for gen 5's lineup.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Ometeotl posted:

Stonjourner seems to have some alternate forms

:hmmyes:

It'd be such a loss if this game chose to butcher the pokedex but not still include a high number of forms and appearances.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

so are there any good pokemon youtube people? All the ones I used to check out seem to be dead, and a brief look had a ton of dexit whining and 'NEW TRAILER WORST EVER????' dumb stuff, does anyone just do good LPs and/or battle nerd poo poo or just general poke-poo poo?

I like CandyEvie. She doesn't post super frequently but her material is chill and she shows how passionate she is for the series without being obnoxious.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Bulbasaur is still the best and I cannot be convinced otherwise. :colbert:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

lezard_valeth posted:

Regarding the TCG, Charizard being the only Pokemon capable of one shotting the entirety rest of the Pokemon universe, including Mewtwo, for like 3-5 years undisputed also would fall under popularity by favoritism.

Not 100% true. Base Set Chansey had 120 HP and could technically beat a Charizard if both went at each other head-to-head. Chansey would die to recoil damage at itself, but Charizard would not be able to do Fire Spin twice in time as it loses 2 energy per use. The only way it could do it twice in a row is if you attached a Double Colorless Energy and used Charizard's Pokemon Power.

Also, Mr. Mime from the following Jungle set nullified damage over 30.

Just felt like splitting hairs. Charizard wasn't really even that great in the TCG because it took a lot of setup and resources, while the haymaker decks using Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, and Scyther and such just kind of mowed everything else down.

But Charizard was still the cool kid card to have. I had two. :smug:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

Never forget how the initial mascot push was going to be Clefairy and that never got off the ground.

Clefairy/Clefable are actually my longest-term favorite Pokemon!

Khanstant posted:

I don't think hardly any of the kids at my school into the cards even knew really how to play. I had a vague idea, but it wasn't really about the game it felt at the time. Hell, my favourite thing to do was draw my own pokemon cards on computer-paper and glue them to cards I didn't think were important or valuable. The value was also pulled out of our asses, plenty of fights and squabbles over kids ripping one another off. I had gotten a few japanese psychic packs and a pre-made which didn't have rarity symbols. I traded off many of them claiming they were rarer than they actually were, easier if they had a cool picture. I did get my comeuppance, I had several of the infamous slowpoke with the manji/swastika in japanese and english, but traded them off before it became or I learned it's relative rarity.

Most of my existing pokemon collection, wherever it is now, was just given to me. You know how if you're flying alone as a little kid, they have flight attendants take you to a place to chill or whatever for a time. There was another solo flying kid one time and he also happened to have his pokemon card binder with him. We traded some cards and hung out for a bit. He left before I did and he ended up leaving behind his binder of all things. When it was my turn to get on a flight, the person helping me noticed it left behind and gave it to me even though I explained to them it was the other kid. There was a holographic charizard in there! I never felt as bad about that as I probably should have.

I feel like one of the only kids in elementary school who actually took interest in the card game! I learned how to play so I could play with others and... no one else really "got it". Then the Game Boy Color game came out and I felt a little less alone, haha.

Did anyone else have parents who bought into the whole Satanic Panic rush that Pokemon had, by the way? Mine sure did. I wasn't allowed to have any psychic or ghost pokemon. (That they knew of at least, because even kid me knew that was loving stupid.)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I got little use out of the GTS because even for a lot of simple things, people were making pretty ridiculous demands for trades. No, I'm not gonna give you a level 80 rare Pokemon for your breeding chaff. Just gimme the other starters I don't have!

Wonder trade was more fun even if you end up with a lot of low effort lv. 2-5 trash, because getting the occasional good and cool Pokemon is like cracking a chase rare out of a pack of magic cards or a mobage gacha. It's exciting!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
i have always been a fan of coughing and wheezing

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
While the butchering is a net suck overall and my top faves were saved, I'm honestly looking more forward to getting the cotton candy hat Pokemon and fairy unicorn Rapidash than getting Clefable and Gardevoir for the xth time.

Though I still will.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah exactly. People advocating for the 'easy mode' argument often ignore that children are extremely willing to bang their head against a wall for as long as they need to in order to beat a game. I remember being 8 or 9 years old and running through Dark Cave with no flash and attempting to just ride along the walls. Kids do not need their hands held every part of the way.

When I was 9, there was a playground rumor that there was a truck by the S.S. Anne in Red/Blue version, but you typically can't get to it since you needed Cut to proceed far enough into the game to get Surf to be able to reach that area and all the guy will do is say "the ship set sail" and not let you through.

So I was loving *hellbent* on figuring it out and ended up starting a new game on my opposite version of the game, and traded over Pokemon with the HMs needed, so I never had to get Cut or Surf or anything like that, and pushed through the game without needing to complete the S.S. Anne until I beat Koga and was able to use Surf. I found that truck and was crushed to find out that it does... nothing. But I was so proud of myself for figuring that poo poo out on my own (this was before I was able to access the internet to find that kinda info, but even for the longest time, internet "cheat" sites were loaded with rumors and false info anyway).

I was so stubborn with games as a kid, haha.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Japan does have pride parades and their own LGBT culture, just we dont see it often in the media that gets popular overseas.

The things we do get occasionally are pretty great though. Yuri on Ice is easily one of the best anime to come out in the past few years and while I haven't seen the anime for it yet, Wandering Son was really good too when I read the manga.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

I mean let's be honest they were poo poo at most things in the game too. People certainly didn't enjoy Pokemon Red/Blue because they were tightly designed well-functioning games.

I loved red/blue as a kid because it was a revolutionary and fun game that changed my childhood for the better

I love red/blue now because I see now that the game is held together with paper clips, prayers, and sprites so wonky that they're adorable and charming-- and breaking the game is a game in itself

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

qnqnx posted:

Like an anonymous poster well said, "The more you like Pokemon, the more you dislike GameFreak"

This kind of goes for every fanbase tbh

The more passionate you are, the more likely you are to see change in your favorite series as something to be offended by

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

the squares was a meme. it was a Loss joke

Yeah if you see a 2x2 square anywhere on the internet just have "is this Loss" in the back of your head

Very often the answer is Yes

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So wait, are all these other Pokemon confirmed to be present, or are these sprites just a "in the game's data but not confirmed to be able to be found" thing?

Because if Alolan Ninetales and Celebi are in I don't really have much to miss anymore

Framboise fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 11, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
jesus christ when i saw 235 posts since I last checked a couple hours ago i was thinking some new details came out but surprise it's just another slap fight and the bar has fallen to the floor

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

For_Great_Justice posted:

Oh wow this is a ton of posts I wonder wha-
Mother of god.

Welcome to the sea of vitriol and negativity

I am wondering if some competitive tiers are going to keep gen 7 around for the more diverse Pokemon list.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Those are pretty close to the lesbian pride flag colors when the non-shiny looks like the trans flag. It's too accurate to be a coincidence

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile, the ban list

I have no idea what the banlist will be but I wanted to make a don't awoo joke anyway

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The next game in the series is either going to have the entire Pokedex and a disgusting amount of feature bloat (can't wait for dynamaxed mega rotation contests with pokeballs with customizable effects, fed a variety of pokeblocks, poffins, and curry) to appease all the fans that can't handle or tolerate change or they're going to just not make the games anymore period due to growing backlash or dwindling effort because a Switch game shouldn't look this... rudimentary.

I keep forgetting to mention that I'm very excited about galarian Weezing for having my favorite type added, making it a very dapper gentle...thing that purifies the air, and making me interested in a Pokemon I was never enthusiastic about

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
my tongue was so far in my cheek there that it was about to burst out of my face. pokemon games will most likely continue to be mediocre as they have been for generations now and fans will continue to find something to riot over (because they have, every generation, this is not new but it remains exhausting) even if they bring the full Dex back and make the game actually look like a Switch game should

That is, except for my comment about galarian Weezing, who is good and pure in many ways :3:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It is okay we can still be friends

As long as you also approve of the good friend that is Galarian Weezing

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I was all about Sobble but I'm not really impressed with its final form, I was meh on Scorbunny because I was sure it was going to be fire/fighting and I wasn't interested, and I never cared about Grookey at all. In fact this was the least enthused I've been for starters since gen 5 while I thought 6 and 7 were home runs.

But I love bunnies. Imma get me a bunny.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So how exactly do hidden abilities work in this gen? I want that Protean Cinderace.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

mutata posted:

That freeze frame stuff is a deliberate choice. It's harder to do it that way. It's be easier to not freeze them.

I must be broken and I'm obviously not a hardcore Pokemon game fan because I just can't get worked up over a lot of this. I do understand the Dexit bummers that folks have but everything else just makes me shrug. Excited to catch those mons!

This is me. I think the most disappointing thing for me is the graphical issues/draw distance problems but it won't stop me. The earbuds thing is dumb if true but I never mess with sound settings anyway.

I'm just excited to trample everything with extremely cute fairies and a dapper poison fairy. :3:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Ambaire posted:

Could someone please explain the joke here? Looks like a character going partway up a ladder then down a rung (implying that one has control over how far they are up the ladder and it's not a canned climbing animation) then the gif resets.

Look at the guys tossing pokeballs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So how good is the Zelda switch game (breath of the wild i think)? because I am honestly thinking about putting this game on hold till they promise some loving fixes for this, and putting my money at something that looks pretty.

I never bothered with getting a Switch and Breath of the Wild until this year. Now I'm kicking myself for it because it's easily one of my new all time favorites. It does suffer from the same framerate drops the Switch is notorious for, but it doesn't feel as common and the game feels extremely well put together.

Absolutely love it. Masterpiece game.

i feel mario odyssey is pretty overrated though. it's good. maybe even great. but i finished it and never felt inclined to do postgame things, much less touch it anymore past that. meanwhile i was super sad when i finished breath of the wild because i wanted to play more. which i can! the game's super replayable and begs to be played in challenge runs. i haven't touched the dlc yet either. saving that for a rainy day.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 12, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So like, old starters confirmed coming back after all?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I am happy to see Bulbasaur and Primarina make the cut then :3:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Hey guys excited to play the pokemans for the first time since Red, what starter are you guys picking????

gimme the bonny

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

a7m2 posted:

What versions are you guys getting? I'm thinking of getting Shield tonight (I can get it early yay) but the Farfetch'd evolution is in Sword which I really want

Shield has Tyranitar, Cursola, and psychic/fairy Rapidash. The decision was easy for me.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Don't let psychotic reddit mancholdren dictate if you like the friend slavery game

Or anyone, for that matter. There's a monolithic amount of hate for the game and while people are entitled to opinions it doesn't stop you from being entitled to yours and enjoying it, warts and all.

If you wanna play pokemon, buy the game and join us. If you don't, then play other stuff! Breath of the Wild is a drat masterpiece and is essential gaming for any Switch owner tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Part of me is really hoping that they intentionally made this look so bad to pre-emptively spite leakers and will fix this in a day 1 patch or something