Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

StandardVC10 posted:

Just started Legends Arceus - playing as the girl entirely because she has the cuter hat. Anyway, do I ever get a compass in this game? Feel like it'd be useful.

Abuse the 'Flag' marker-setter on your map until you get more familiar with a zone, and even after that it remains incredibly useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
The pride and joy of my PLA pokemon collection is a MINIMUM-HEIGHT, TIMID female shiny Gardevoir that I caught on my first visit to a Gardevoir outbreak at the peak of the icelands.

The first thing she did when she spawned (and sparkled) during the outbreak was turn to face my trainer (who was hidden in the bushes nearby) and sit down/kneel under her skirt. I caught her with a regular pokeball on the first throw.

I named her 'Go Ask Alice', after the Jefferson Airplane song White Rabbit's lyrics. She now has moves like Moonblast and Recover which Gardevoirs couldn't get before now, putting her in a higher tier than before, once Home connects to PLA's pastures.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I definitely would prefer being able to perma-slap DLC onto a game copy over any sort of peripheral management for a similar cost, that's for sure. Then again, I'm not a little kid.

Beyond that, encouraging kids to bring their pokewalkers/pokeGoPhones on their memorable vacations to disneyland or w/e is ingenious marketing.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
love the town music in PLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ee4QjCEHHc

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I would legit collect a billiard set of voltorbs - so silly! Rock/Electric maybe?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Unlimited Move Tutor at every Pokecenter should be the minimum expected on that front going forward, I'd imagine.

Legends Arceus lets you change your party's moves in the field, which is amazing (paired with PP-restoring items) for clearing move-specific pokedex checkmarks.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
BTW!:

When Home first came out, I heard there was a glitch where it didn't register Pokemon's Hyper Training (erasing it?) when they were boxed in Home (INITIALLY) so wait a little bit for people to report back on HOME 2.0, if you can.

All of this makes me wonder if it might be "optimally efficient" to mass-release HOME-based pokemon from a copy of Pokemon Legends Arceus because there's actually a reward system in place for mass releases.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
While transferring 'mons I found a Spinda I got in a Wonder Trade in my BDSP copy that couldn't be transferred to any games I have (including back to my BDSP copy) once I'd brought it to Home.

I must assume that means it has hacked stats or something. I think I'm going to try breeding it to see what happens, as I don't think I have a normal Spinda in my boxes otherwise.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Rudoku posted:

Does it have Copycat or another removed move? My old Kalos one that I have in a living dex does, and it's blanked out.

I just checked and the Japanese Spinda doesn't have Copycat or hacked-looking stats - how odd! I'll see how its ditto-bred clones work out.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

EorayMel posted:

Never, ever forget:

Imagining a skuntank fed nothing but curry its entire life

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Well after hatching some Spinda babies in BDSP I check Home and find that the babies can't be loaded into Home either.

I look it up and find that there are indeed some rollout bugs still in place with Home 2.0:

https://pokemonblog.com/2022/05/18/...antamax-pikach/

quote:

Spinda can’t be moved into Pokémon HOME, Nincada can’t be moved into Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, Gigantamax Pikachu and Eevee can’t be moved into Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Gigantamax Pikachu, Meowth and Eevee can’t be moved into BDSP

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Steals the hot mic to say:

"Game Freak does not care about bug people."

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Forsythia posted:

I think there's actually a reason for why Leech Life got an unexpected buff in generation 7. The move's original name is "Suck Blood", so it looks like when generation 7 introduced a prominent blood-filled mosquito Pokémon, they altered the move's functionality to be useful in endgame, shuffled Absorb around to its old place on level-up movelists, and kept that perfect name for it.

And then in generation 8 Leech Life was removed from Buzzwole's level-up movelist for no real reason. :shrug:

Honestly this is probably why we should all support mythicals and legendaries getting signature moves - it puts a pin on the moves for future-gen developers not to gently caress with it too much.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also if they wanted to actually loving stick to this bit, why the gently caress are there pokemon that have been in every release since the restricted list happened? I haven't been able to use Minior in a game for half a decade at this point but I have to look at loving Flareon wasting space in my Dex every single game?

Aren't pikachu, eevee, and clefairy practically guaranteed to be in every pokemon game and spinoff, which would naturally include their evo-lines in a mainline pokemon game? Expect flareons, at least.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
On this topic of upgrading a series' experience while keeping the same "feel" over time:
when you're updating a big RPG / monster collectathon there are a million things you can update without even scratching the surface of the out-of-combat, out-of-menus gameplay experience.

Sw/Sh got blasted for terrible plot hooks AND not enough pokemon in the dex AND not enough pokemon attack animations, among other things... but the combat and menus worked fine and people still bought both copies and DLC so :shrug: they still have control of the niche for now.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Zuzie posted:

As someone who hates stealth sections in games, Legend's iteration of "stealth" (Pokemon are normally too stupid to see you in grass) works great for me.

I could see in future Legends iterations that some pokemon's player-detection methods might get more complex for deeper immersion (Zubats can hear you moving in grass since they are blind, Nosepass can smell you approaching if you're upwind, Luxrays can literally see you through walls, etc) but right now in PLArceus, once you learn the limitations of the wild pokemons' awareness and then learn how long pokemon take to eat food (10 chomps) you are golden for hunting Alphas with the basic heavy balls and basic oran berries you get access to near game start.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Spanish Manlove posted:

idk why people even put that much effort into things when you can instantly catch most alphas by just throwing one of your pokemon at them then just throwing an ultra ball to catch them first try if you're levelled higher than them.

I find it infinitely more satisfying to catch a pokemon in PLA without starting a fight and without throwing mudballs since they're "expensive". I don't want any nice pokemon to get hurt or angry!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

Character 1: I’m going to perform an action!
*fade to black*
*fade back in on the previously animated frame*
Character 2: Wow, thanks!
:yum::japan:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Could any kind soul currently playing Sw/Sh do a quick trade-back-and-forth with me (Lux) at link code 0000 7111 ? I just need to evolve a swirlix into a slurpuff to finish my sw/sh dex, and no one ATM is biting on the reddit community code for swapping swirlixes holding whipped dreams.

Additionally lemme know if there's an established channel for goons to arrange these kinds of poketrades, as I dont want to clutter the thread in the future.

E: Got it sorted. Thanks!!

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 28, 2022

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm sincerely going to be sad if there's no mechanics from pla

I know you in particular called it "inefficient" but I would particularly enjoy battle-less catching of overworld 'mons to be possible, which is something Nintendo has been trying to integrate in Pokemon games since at least the Let's Go games came to the Switch. It obviously changes the challenge curve to be a bit more casual-friendly (the "PKMN=GO" crowd) than the standard "do you know what False Swipe does" expectations that come with most main-line pokemon entries.

The biggest problem I see with overworld catching is that the PL:A system requires a dodge and monsters to have attacks in the overworld, and I'm not absolutely not going to be expecting those to feature in Scar/Violet unless they say so.

Super No Vacancy posted:

theyre introducing 100 new baby forms

Baby-only tournaments that max out the happiness scores of the winners :sickos:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Oxyclean posted:

Find it funny that Legend's most "memorable" character to me is the dude that I went "oh gently caress this dude" every time he showed up lol.

It's true Ingo's presence fills me with despair

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

These box legendaries are the most Yugioh rear end monsters I've ever seen. They're even motorcycles.

GOIN FAST MAKES ME FEEL ALIVE

Honestly the wheel-shapes in the necks instantly made me think of beyblades

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Games > Pokemon Megathread: Who are you kidding, you're still gonna buy both copies.

:sigh: Alexa, play Sprigatito Despacito remix

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not gonna lie I was excited to see some kind of outdoor pokecenter-like station, so maybe we can do pokecenter stuff while in the open world without requiring a loading screen from entering a building's door. It's so small but it stood out to me as a plus.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Bleck posted:

A variant of Hydreigon that doesn't look so doofy.

No. More blimp-like, with tinier flappers.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Zuzie posted:

The ride Pokemon in Legends were amazing to control, especially Sneasler and her ability to just climb almost any surface.

So something like that coming back for Scarlet and Violet would be great to see.

Back when I was bingeing PL:A I was doing some sick Sneasler-Braviary switches off of mountains and jumping off cliffs willy-nilly. I'd personally want a rideable Gliscor that does both: scaling walls and flap-gliding.

Going back to a playthru of SwSh after PL:A, I was mortified to remember that you can't bike up certain "walls" in the Wild Area in that game that are just mild inclines, and you have to go the long way around. Feels bad.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I kinda got the vibe that there are literal and figurative Scarlet and Violet schools of "pokemon thought" and unlike in other pokemon games the two game versions coexist and their players are in competition with each other.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't play pokemon Go but the two profs here feels a lot more like having to pick out one from three team colors in Go, with each color having a respective leader with a different personality flair.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

hopeandjoy posted:

Also that is the least surprising twist known to man. Teenagers on forums, especially roleplay forums, are the absolute leaders in faking tragedies for clout, especially deaths.

it's the teenage drama equivalent of a Monty Python sketch where the writers decided they needed to end a sketch so they'd have someone draw a gun and shoot somebody

E: snipe tax:

Pikachu hates guns

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 6, 2022

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

Who can forget Nascour and Evice though

See this is why I stopped watching the anime

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Hrist posted:

I'm pretty sure that guy is the back is actually just from Kingdom Hearts. Just a lower res model of Riku during the ending or something.

Oops all Rikus

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
the phrase 'Shadow Lugia Arc' has some very early livejournal vibes, it's true :haibrow:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Super No Vacancy posted:

this site doesnt seem to have dynamically filled in what i already have?

can't you sort your pokedex in PL:A by amount of dex filled and by regional numerical order? gotta cross-ref thru that way to find any gaps, I think would be fastest

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Hammerite posted:

does the grit you get depend on the pokemon you release, or something?

I tried googling but all I can find is content-farm bullshit telling me stuff I already know.

Yeah it does - higher level pokemon and alphas yield higher grit items when released.

I learned this when I was sorting through my alpha-dex and released a bunch of Alphas all at once and got almost all grit rocks

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Since time manipulation is going to be a thing in ScarViolet my biggest desire currently would be a hyperbaric time chamber but for mass-producing pokemon eggs. :pervert:

The EternaCare Center!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

teen phone cutie posted:

is there a way to reset the guy on route 221 in BDSP that asks for a certain level pokemon and gives you a focus sash?

every day it's a new level. the prize rotates between three martial-arts-themed held items, changing every time you show him a pokemon of the level he wants. Hope that helps!

e: I think it's focus sash, expert belt, and black belt

e2: to clarify, if you got a focus sash from the guy and then used it up in a non-battle-tower match, you would have to get an expert belt and a black belt from the guy over two more days before he'll give you another focus sash on the third day.

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 15, 2022

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Hammerite posted:

do you know what the exact logic the game uses is?

Someone somewhere, even nerdier than me, has worked this out in painstaking detail. If I could only find it

I dunno, go by level or area? Try something like this:

Grit Dust: Fieldlands non-alphas, Mirelands non-alphas
Grit Gravel: Mirelands non-alphas, Coastlands non-alphas, Mount Coronet non-alphas
Grit Pebbles: Mount Coronet non-alphas, Tundra non-alphas, low-lvl Alphas
Grit Rocks: Lvl 60+, most Alphas

Releasing pokemon with Shininess status I'm sure factors too but I'm not about to run tests on that.

e: forgot a place

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 15, 2022

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

Disable autosave, save, release, reset?

oh, no, you're right in that it's possible, but you have me mistaken for someone willing to actually perform tests and make extensive notes on releasing shiny pokemon in PL:A :effort:

Personally I'm at the point where I have 999x of each grit item in my stash box if I don't sell them off already, so it's not particularly a poke-priority of mine

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Furnaceface posted:

Peewee? Peevee?

Cant think of anything clever.

*Thinking really hard with all the naming powers taught to him by gen1...*

"Ev"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you think Rotom should get new forms or does it have enough?

I want a blacklight Rotom: Dark/Electric