Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

if those numbers in the pages are right (>1k VC dead, 140 US dead + 560 US wounded) it was brutal for the vietcong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Why does Russia get to determine who joins a defensive alliance they aren't a part of

because it can
or can't, if they refuse

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

more from "About Face"

I'm reading these excerpts and thinking to myself "thank god they were like this, thank god this guy didn't manage to whip them into shape" lmao

HonorableTB posted:

This doesnt make any sense to me. They can do this only if nato allows it

if nato allows it then they can do it
if nato doesn't allow it then they can't do it
and the only way to know if nato will allow it is to ask

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

y'all

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

conflation with leftism lol, there's no conflation, just people saying that immiserating these countries is bad

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

lol just looked at your post history. pro barrel bombs and barrel bomb accessories.

indigi see we do have the real actually crazy person who loves Assad unquestionably and don’t just think a meme is funny.

you're a neocon in "just a logistics guy" clothing, gently caress off

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

evilpicard posted:

Are you mad that Assad defeated ISIS?

less-than-moderate rebels

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Out of the blue I asked, “Have you ever read Reinhold Niebuhr?”

Obama’s tone changed. “I love him. He’s one of my favorite philosophers.”

So I asked, What do you take away from him?

“I take away,” Obama answered in a rush of words, “the compelling idea that there’s serious evil in the world, and hardship and pain. And we should be humble and modest in our belief we can eliminate those things. But we shouldn’t use that as an excuse for cynicism and inaction. I take away ... the sense we have to make these efforts knowing they are hard, and not swinging from naďve idealism to bitter realism.”

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

why haven't these been dismantled due to some treaty or something? holy poo poo this is terrifying

because you would have to be a moron to dismantle your nuclear weapons

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol what was the french offer to them again

submarines of their own vs another opportunity to kiss american rear end, no contest

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i believe in xi

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I loving love doing daily stand ups and dev sprints to do agile development on the software for a trillion dollar warplane

lmao this is the same development strategy we use for a chat app and every release is bug-ridden, you can't do that for what is essentially a death machine with wings

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

china's answer to suicide drones is improved mental healthcare for drones

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

then why are you pretending as if it is?

that's his posting gimmick

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

didn't the nazi military industry make these complicated tanks and vehicles that broke down quickly and couldn't be repaired while the soviets just churned out boxes with wheels/tank treads which worked in anything for a bit more time than their nazi counterparts
so what I'm saying is that looking at the F-35 I think we can safely presume which course the US would take even if it did somehow by a literal loving miracle manage to instate a war economy

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

tbh selling the army as someplace where you can make friends might genuinely attract lonely souls.

Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came
You want to be where you can see
Our troubles are all the same
You want to be where everybody knows your name

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I am more and more convinced they just needed to assign one state design bureau to blue jeans and another to rock and roll, while buying bananas from Angola.

this
and maybe also buy pineapples from somehwere

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

the opening premise of the Netflix show "The Diplomat" is that the HMS Courageous, which looks very much like the Queen Elizabeth-class carrier, is sailing somewhere in the Persian Gulf, when it gets exploded, killing some 40 British sailors, and it falls upon the titular character to navigate the political fallout of a British warship getting bombed by someone

it was already stretching credulity that a QE carrier could sail and operate that far without developing problems all on its own, but when the Tory Prime Minister promises at one point that he will "rain hellfire on Tehran" in retaliation for the attack, I just rolled my eyes and shut it off

it's insufferable at times but keep watching until the end, it'll pay off lol

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I'm loving this gulf war crack ping, I knew the US gave mixed signals to Iraq but now it looks like they orchestrated the whole thing top to bottom

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

How the gently caress did they talk Japan into paying for 16% of the war?!

if they "talked" them into the plaza accords then they can do anything to them

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

It’s crazy how everyone just went along with this orchestrated conspiracy, including Iraq, Russia, China, and even Kuwait going along with pretending to be invaded by Iraq. The US apparently used to be so good at perfectly orchestrating all world events, but I guess they’ve lost their edge.

russia was a shell of its former self in 1991, and china would probably go along with almost whatever the americans do, this isn't the slam dunk you think it is

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

when the major piece of evidence for your argument is gorbachev's vote in the UN being pro-US as if he wasn't a lickspittle you have to stop and rethink what the gently caress you're talking about

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lmao

the bahrook brothers riot

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

fart simpson posted:

like raised by wolves?

gently caress yes

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

500excf type r posted:

Not putting a dog down for repeatedly biting cops is like the one decent thing Joe Biden has ever done.

withdrawal from afghanistan

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Danann posted:

Sharpest sanctions strategist of Europe advocating for the full mobilization of European excess savings to be burnt on the pyre of America's MIC and NVIDIA.

we are in so much poo poo and i know this moronic loving continent will embrace exactly what we don't need - fascist demagogues who make the trains run on time (except they don't but nobody cares anyway)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

HouseofSuren posted:

If you read the GBS and DND threads about this war you'd swear to god Ukraine was about to summon a Gundam and the fact that they don't even have an airforce or a navy isn't a big deal while on the retreat from large cities.

I'd rather have Russians and Hamas than those people as fellow countrymen.

retreat into fantasy is a common defense mechanism

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

corona familiar posted:

what about world war z? :smuggo:

it even has Israel in it

i stopped reading the book when the writer made it happen that israelis let palestinians in and helped them out
it was so utterly unrealistic when you know these animals would be sitting on sofas in front of their fences hooting and hollering watching kids get eaten by zombies

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

watching the new episode of "The Regime" and one of the signs the fictional central european country is "bad" is that they're working with china who is putting the locals out of business

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 14:48 on Mar 27, 2024

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I forgot to mention that the only time I got into a fight with my grandfather was that when I was maybe 10 or 11 I worked out that he was old enough to serve in Korea as his brothers had done in the World War, and he chose not to. But no, just because they were “killed in Italy” and “traumatized from the Netherlands”, he didn’t follow the colours. His younger brother volunteered for Vietnam though, so there’s that.

am I reading this correctly: you got into a fight with your grandpa because he didn't want to go pulverize some koreans?

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Apr 5, 2024

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

eastern euro communism raised some of the dumbest people in the world, american stupidity can't hold a candle

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Remulak posted:

WTF Poland was (is) run by assholes but the country was invaded by the Nazis and Soviets and partitioned between them under the terms of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact. Is this a bit?

just read the wiki article on M-R, it's surprisingly even-handed if I remember correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

put ff on suicide watch immediately