Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Yes, we will lose WWIII.

Any fool would know that.

Good bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

You sure it's not that and the overfunding of poo poo that doesn't work?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I mean the Republican's response to Gaza was pretty much "Heh heh heh yeah...we can totally spin this to justify an invasion of Iran!" so yeah I would call them pretty loving clueless and stuck in 2003.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGn25URIss8

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Votskomit posted:

Too bad he was stabbed in the back by those intergalactic bankers with the strange religion.

loving Terraists...always trying to use papist dogma to to restore the Roman Emp--

er, I mean Earth to it's former glory as the center of human civilization

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Hatebag posted:

there's definitely some japanese stuff going on with the klingons too. and i think the federation typically behaves more like a midpoint between the un and nato. nothing is really a 1:1 analog though. even the cardassians aren't perfect representations of israelis. plus the shows were all written by different people and produced by a series of degenerate abusive cokeheads so the uh racial characterizations aren't 100% consistent either

Yeah, nailing any of the Races down to one culture in Star Trek doesn't really work. Kingons Are Feudal Samurai Viking Russians. Vulcans are Japanese Roman Greek Philosophers. Romulans are Chinese Roman Spartans. Bajorans are Midwestern Jewish Palestinians. Cardassians are Italian Fascist Nazi Japanese Imperialist Israelis. Ferengi are...a number of unfortunate stereotypes mashed together with American capitalists.

That's something I like about them actually. It makes them more well rounded and believable.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 09:14 on Dec 7, 2023

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Remember, Russians were also thought of as Asian drunken aggressive brutes so it is saying more about how American writers thought of them than their own culture. Also, yeah the Bajorans are specifically supposed to be Israelis, not necessarily Jews. Remember also, back in the 1990s, Palestinians were only terrorists and only Israelis were spiritual freedom fighters.

Basically, it is a mess because the stereotypes they are pulling from are non-sensical and often made up.

Yeah, I will admit that this is pretty much just my own interpretation. It is interesting how context and history change how we interpret these shows. Courageous Israeli freedom fighters become courageous Palestinians.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

The ruling class (financier class) has to share the same interest of the nation state, otherwise the state will become more and more disfunctional and illogical things

Ohhh so that’s what’s happening!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I'm really glad to hear America has decided to guard prosperity. It's great they're doing something nice for a change

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Fell Mood posted:

If you have actual industries, that's an opportunity for labor to gain power. Send the factories oversees to use cheap semi slave labor to break the unions. Break up production so that the parts for a plane are sourced from 30 different states instead of a central industrial area. Do away with pensions, lower salaries, and force lower skilled workers to try to do the work. Worship the small business owners so that any remaining capacity is decentralized.

Actually building something that works would require having actual industry. If you have real industry, the skilled workers can bargain to keep more of their value. To keep the owners from just grifting everything, the government would have to exercise some control over factory owners. Since the government nominally answers to the common people, that control could lead to rights and environmental regulation and what not.

Maybe someone else could explain it better, but the real enemy of the United States is it's own labor force. Those people must be kept down so that the elites can continue to suck up excess profits. It's not sustainable because you cannot maintain an industrial society under those conditions.

Its been in the DNA of this country since the very beginning. America was formed on the principle that land owners should have the absolute freedom to do anything they wanted, and paradoxically since you can't have absolute freedom if everyone is free, the land owners began to find ways to ensnare everyone else in chains. Capitalism was ultimately embraced by America because it was the best way to ensure absolute freedom for a select few by denying it to everyone else.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 06:45 on Jan 9, 2024

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

bedpan posted:

absolute freedom doesn't mean poo poo unless you have other people who are absolutely unfree

Yep!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the only thing we learn about the Magna Carta is that it was signed in 1215

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGn25URIss8

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

There’s no better system than the free market baby

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What are the chances that the US nuclear weapons maintenance has already been liberalized to the point that none of those weapons work anymore?

I’m thinking all that talk a year back about Russia’s nuclear weapons not working anymore might have been some serious projection

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7s5pT3Rris

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Mandel Brotset posted:

this sounds badass

That's because it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxxhAS16vB0

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Say what you will, this is appropriate on many, many levels.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/ChowdahHill/status/1769290382938931430?s=20

the genocide enabling fleet has a life boss to give sailors more grit

Oh for god's sake

What the gently caress is this

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Marinetimes/status/1773000785984377205?t=aUrfWi1vMn2k3tIDrmkAIw&s=19

I don't think this is a problem that can be solved by best practices at the level of the individual soldier

Wake up people! Go back to sleep

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/KyleTrainEmoji/status/1775315091753468025

swamp maoists got lost and became mountain maoists

Why the gently caress would Arizona not be part of the “Western forces”?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

im more interested in what caused texas and california to team up

A mutual interest in getting high off their own farts

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Lmao there's a couple folks in a discord server I frequent that are very insistent on the fact that Australia will absolutely be getting their AUKUS subs by the early 2030s, because the US failing to deliver would be a sign that they're an unreliable partner and the United States of America would never even consider taking payment up front for subs that will come late. The idea that the subs will come never is so heretical that it gets moderators called on you.

It's kind of hilarious how much white foreigners trust the United States of America.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

hahaha boy that's a bad bet

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Someone really needs to take that dude's twitter away.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

lol oh come the gently caress on

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Operation Prosperity Withdrawal

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1786272981058220187

No wonder the US is sleepwalking into economic destruction. Their own top people don't know how all the financial systems work!

What the gently caress do you mean "Is that what they do?" Jared?? YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT THEY DO

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the west instantly stopped caring about covid once the 2020 elections were over.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Space Force is fuckin weird man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I feel like you would need a New Deal or at least some sort of a Great Society to pull this off, but I don't think we have either of those things