Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Rian Trilogy will finish up by 2027. At the following year's Celebration, Disney announces they're "Bringing it back home for a new generation"

Trailer plays. Binary Sunset swells, it's a photo of Young Lucas looking determined. End Titles music play to a title screen

"2029. STAR WARS: THE LAST HOPE"

Lights up and Jabba the Hutt George Lucas sits in a director's chair, eager to share his vision of "The Last Star Wars Story and the Death of the Force"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

1500quidpoocati posted:

Like you read up poo poo about what his original vision for Star Wars was and it just sounds like the dumbest poo poo ever and it was only parred back to a decent 70s sci-fi by a bunch of people on the project constantly telling him that this poo poo he was planning was dumb and forcing his hand to change it.
Some of it was his ex wife's editing work. But yeah, the early drafts of THE STAR WARS just read like The Hidden Fortress or whatever with a lame sci-fi veneer.

"the respected JEDI BENDU OF ASHLA were the most powerful warriors
in the Universe. For a hundred thousand years,
generations of Jedi Bendu knights learned the ways of the mysterious
FORCE OF OTHERS, and acted as the guardians of peace and justice
in the REPUBLIC. "

Plus some poo poo about protecting the king and princess

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

skasion posted:

portray a constant, almost meaningless struggle between freedom and tyranny because they have no trajectory left to explore without getting redundant.
7-8:
"Phew. Thank god the Great Evil is gone. Heh, it's not like a bunch of disaffected white dudes would rebuild Nazism. Right guys? Right?"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He'll be a force ghost tied to the Death Star core where he kerploded.

Or just a dumb holocron and Rey learns she's his daughter or something

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blistex posted:

Did they have to resurrect Palpatine because Rian derailed the JJ story?
Jesus. Now it's gonna be EU style "Snoke was a Palpaclone" poo poo to explain his marfans-rear end body

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Something vaguely Jedi Knight-ish wouldn't be a bad way forward. You get Han Solo smartass with the morally grey fun and the pew-pew sword and acrobatics.

Moridin920 posted:

If they did the Rogue Squadron books into movies they'd be having their collective genitals sucked off but instead, this.
I'd laugh very hard if the post-credits teaser scene is a variation on "Fine, I'll do it myself" and instead of a purple buff california raisin it's loving Thrawn finally.

Hairy Busey posted:

I hope they re-hire Lucas
I made a joke about him reappearing for Celebration 2025 to blow everyone's mind, but I don't think Disney is thatdesperate.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Glenn Quebec posted:

3 is really bad. You think it's going to be a badass defense of the earth but, no, you have to gather your allies .... Again...
Not only that, it just kind of tosses away a central threat to the damned cthulhu squids -- just being around them or a piece of them makes you a weird zombieperson serving their will.

The idea that the weapon you're building is, like, an iterative last gasp of countless prior cycles is pretty sweet as well and it just becomes another control method thanks to StarBrat there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I've posted this before but the Luke/Kylo history could have totally worked if it had been framed as Luke being poorly suited to deal with responsibility and authority in particular and it would have dovetailed nicely with his reluctance to train Rey.
Yeah. All they got through was "I thought I could remake the Jedi order because I was Luke Fuckin Skywalker and I hosed that up royally and got a bunch of kids killed".

Which, really, was fine in that overstuffed film.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kazak posted:

Darth... Plague...is
I miss the time when Dart Vader was like the dude's name and not a Sith Title.

"Congrats on murdering children. Now we pick your sickrad new name... Darth ... Chaddus

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh god. With Palpatine being so prominent in the advertising, I realized that Abrams totally was going to have it be that Snoke was Palps somehow until TLJ killed it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's more like the inverse. The earlier prequel flicks are more daring, the later get more fanservicey, to the point that they end with a recreation of Luke's iconic step into his hero quest.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burns posted:

Execute Order... 67.
Emperor, we require more genetic material for your clone bodies.

Yesssssss.... execute order...... 69!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I would legit like hearing more about how Lucas's pursuit of pushing the digital envelope resulted in severely limited films, actually.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gene had his wife AND was banging Majel Barrett and Nichelle Nichols during ToS. He went so far as to tell his loving side-pieces that he wanted an open relationship

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dilkington posted:

But digital in 1999 looked bad. Not to put too fine a point on things, but digital did not create pleasing images

...for some reason he wanted more and more of his movies to be made in a computer instead of in front of a camera.
Yeah, I remember the RED camera being the early standard bearer for being actually useable and not a huge convoluted mess, and that the mid00s Miami Vice reversion was among the first Digital films to actually have good color depth and didn't look like a flat sitcom. Might have been among the first where the resolution was also approaching film levels, too.

It's really remarkable how much the concept of Film has changed within our lives. The movies we watch are so immaculate. You miss out on the small imperfections of film and that's kind of weird that you just forget that there used to be grain or splices or reel change markers or jitter...

As for Lucas, the oft-repeated story is that he was so miserable with the on location shooting in Tunisia that he wanted more control over all the externalities, while also finding ways to get his films closer to the ideas he saw (reducing the limitations of conventional practical effects). So he gravitated towards CGI and digital sets.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Props for him getting a film made about black airmen.

Though maybe he should have just financed it and found a black up and coming director to helm it....

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

garycoleisgod posted:

You should probably look up who actually directed Red Tails. Spoiler They are a gay black man
Yeah that one's all on me, sorry.

There was so much GEORGE LUCAS in the PR for the film that I just assumed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rutibex posted:

lol that they can do that for a TV show but can't be bothered to keep any secrets about their multi billion dollar film franchise

Sweet, they found a way to make the Emperor's Guard and Snoke's NotSith Guard, but lame!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

boar guy posted:

there is one particular aspect of the spoilers that i tell people who dont really want to hear them but want to know if i think they will like the movie or not and its only three words
:aaa:

Oh come the gently caress on. No! It's impossible!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rutibex posted:

well the death star is a super laser and one time riker said the enterprise is immune to laser so it checks out
Yeah well the deflector array withstands micrometeorites and plasma but it ain't letting the Excelsior drive through a Star anytime soon!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm gonna die if it turns out Sheev lied to Anakin and there was no Darth Plagueis and he really knocked up Shimi then Force Mind Erased her and Rey is a Force Clone except a girl for some reason that was a failsafe in case The Emperor was ever murked and she was on Jakuu because the Super Star Destroyer that had Project: ReEmperor crashed and she's really Rey Palpatine but then Anakin is related and she goes No! I am a SKYWALKER :cue music:

Because after the Three Word Spoiler a few pages back I'm trying to figure just how dumb this can go.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Owlbear Camus posted:

Okay there's a lot not to like about TLJ but is Leia having Force abilities so hard to swallow? They literally set it up 36 years ago? :shrug:
Yes but Leia is more of a force-sensitive or force-attuned empath than a Power User / Force Knight. Her points are in charisma, persuasion, empathy and intelligence. At most she should be able to nudge a pencil!
:goonsay:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Fisher also did script doctoring (punching up poo poo like Hook and Sister Act) and was pretty open about her struggles with addiction and mental health.

iirc her burial urn was a novelty Prozac pill?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lol he has a necklace of lightsabers?
Luke uses Force Push on 17 lightsabers, problem solves itself and now he has 17 extra sabers to play with.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sucks that he got the role of Apocalypse and they threw him in a poo poo costume for a poo poo script with poo poo glued to his face so he had no way to actually act.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

appropriatemetaphor posted:

also did they ever explain who the knights of ren are? like kylo's jedi friends? who he just up and kills?
There's a comic that explains it.

Basically there was a darkside user that followed the Ren (name for his lighsaber / maybe a sith word) and his adherents served as his knights. Ben defeats him and takes the group over. Then he chooses Kylo as his name (apparently discarding bits from sKYwalker/soLO) to show how badass he is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Good ol' Swolo Ren, thickest of Forceboi's.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gee I wonder if changing Han's bloodthirsty morally grey into undercuts his return at the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I remember being hyped for TFA, being sleep deprived as I shuffled into a 1am showing, and marking out when Kylo Vader used the force to stop a blaster bolt in mid air.

Why couldn't anything (other than the HOLDO MANEUVER) be as good?