Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Really hoping the general unplayability that came across during the streamer MP match last weekend is resolved by launch. I remember the last stream day being nothing but frustration for a lot of the people involved (at least, the streamers that I were watching). Desyncs every few minutes plagued the first like 2 hours of that stream.

Excited for this though, even though I never played EU:Rome. I can't help but seeing a ton of Victoria's DNA in this game too (something something "Vicky 3 when" meme), so I'm really interested to see if they get the core pop systems down well enough and if it's mechanically interesting to play, because I imagine they've been using Stellaris 2.0 and Imperator as a sort of testing grounds for how to handle certain aspects of V3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Chomp8645 posted:

What the hell. Why???

Don't all of Paradox's other games also rely exclusively on Steamworks for their multiplayer backbone?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ham posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/status-and-future-of-paradox-multiplayer.1168127/

They're exploring having a beta branch for cross platform multiplayer similar to Stellaris but it won't be available on release. No word on how long it'd take either.

I could see them doing a Ubisoft type thing where the game always starts a bespoke Paradox Launcher (tm) in the background regardless of which store you buy their games on.

Which I mean... look, I hate having fifteen different launchers, but at least you can usually buy Uplay poo poo on other stores without there being any weird exclusivity*

*At least, up until The Division 2 went Uplay/Epic exclusive

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Magissima posted:

I'm seeing a lot of my biggest mapgame streamer pet peeve, which is when they "apologize" for pronouncing things wrong but don't bother to try and learn the correct pronunciation, or sometimes even read the whole word. There's one guy playing Maurya who clearly put in some effort to get the Indian names right, which is cool, but there's so many more "Seculids" and "Ingvaeon— I'm not even gonna try to pronounce this one"

Or people who pronounce an English v in "Salve", how dare these people with no knowledge of Latin pronounce it wrong. Also not using "Salvete" when addressing your viewers (plural) tsk tsk.

(In general I 100% agree with you though. It's a history game, and people ostensibly like it because they have an affinity for history, maybe learn to pronounce proper nouns halfway correctly).

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 23, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Minto Took posted:

Arumba [...] is unwatchable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The thing is, you're not going to know how to pronounce everything correctly. That's basically impossible and unreasonable to expect. Yet a large number of idiots in your stream chat will get on your case and yell at you for getting pronunciations wrong, so what's a streamer to do other than say sorry, but I just don't know how to pronounce this poo poo and I can't stop to research every single represented country and language for my dumb video game stream.

I think Randarkman's point summarizes the "problem" much more accurately than "they mispronounced Caesar as See-zer and not Kai-ssar!" That stuff is bearable to me, and I don't mind it. But...

Randarkman posted:

Alot of English/American people seem to be hit with some kind of moron ray the minute they see something that looks a little bit different and immediately go about thinking it's much harder than it actually is

...like people who say "Salusalids" or other extremely weird poo poo where they just insert random and nonexistant consonants as if they are incapable of just reading the word phonetically absolutely grates on me. It's "nukular" instead of "nuclear" turned up to 11.

vvv It's not too much to ask that a person who earns their actual legitimate living from speaking on camera is actually decent at speaking their language, shocker I know.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Communist Walrus posted:

grammar nazis eunt domus

pls this is the imperator thread. "grammar patricians" tyvm

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Now I want to make a day-one comedy mod that replaces all nation names with their IPA spellings.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I know it's a longshot but the game's timeline also takes place smack dab in the middle of China's Warring States period.

So... China DLC is what I'm saying.

Edit: I'm torn on a first playthrough between Carthage and Egypt.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I assume there's an (inevitably bad) tutorial, right?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MegaZeroX posted:

A while back I preordered the game on Paradox's website, but since the multiplayer is separated by platform, does anyone know if that version is the Steam version?

iirc stuff sold on the Paradox website comes in the form of a Steam key. But I'm not 100%.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

1stGear posted:

To be clear, I wasn't criticizing the quality of translation or anything cause I got no loving idea how any of those words can be pronounced. Just the perpetual incredulous amazement that a word can look one way in English and be pronounced so radically different.

Y'all need some of God's chosen tongue: American.

Randarkman posted:

Alot of English/American people seem to be hit with some kind of moron ray the minute they see something that looks a little bit different and immediately go about thinking it's much harder than it actually is

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The most damning review that I heard so far: "It reminds me of Stellaris 1.0"

Oof.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I did the sad attempt at a tutorial. Eh, at least it got me clicking through menus and slowly learning where buttons are for poo poo. The UI isn't great though.

That said I'm quite enjoying myself so far. My initial first game was as Egypt, but Phrygia curbstomped me pretty much right out the gate because I still had no clue what I was doing.

Restarted as Gortyn in pure goon fashion and treated Crete as my tutorial island. About twenty years later I had united Crete under my rule and have established a small foothold in the Peloponnese, and I feel like I have a much better handle on how this poo poo is supposed to work. Now that I feel a bit better about knowing what the hell I'm doing, tomorrow I'm going to give a larger power a try... maybe Egypt again, or Carthage.

Davincie posted:

does the tutorial not unlock achievements? just noticed im not getting any

Nope, the tutorial isn't Ironman. And like literally every other Paradox game, achievements are ironman-only.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I feel like I'm absolutely swimming in Religious power. I'm already at +3 stability and have been pumping out omens left and right. I just don't know what to spend it on.

The game is very much a 1.0 Paradox game, I think even moreso than HOI4 and, dare I say, Stellaris. I don't get the feeling that I really have anything to do besides just take provinces and blob.

I'm sure multiplayer will make things more interesting but, yeah. Look I've bought every single Paradox DLC ever, so I guess I'm The Problem (tm), but it feels like each 1.0 release just gets more and more barebones.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

RabidWeasel posted:

Anyone who thinks this game is worse than EU4 or Stellaris on release is a gigantic dumb butt hth

Convert pops! You're basically intended to keep omens up permanently so the excess religious power is purely for events and conversions

I'm Crete, my pops are already 100% my desired culture/religion.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Switched over to Egypt for a bit. Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of event or something (is it on Ptolemy's death?) that pops up giving you the option to change your ruler to Egyptian culture and Kemetic religion?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I'm doing an Egypt playthrough and am taking a different approach to the game, similar to what I'd do in Stellaris or CK2: trying to immerse myself in emergent story rather than, er, properly playing the game.

Granted, there's not a TON of emergent storytelling happening here compared to CK2 just because of how much less of it there is baked into the game itself, but it's definitely got a lot of potential to promote that feel with future expansion. When I got the Serapis Cult event, I decided to go whole-hog and convert my state culture to Egyptian and my religion to Kemetic, pissing off basically all of my nobles (who are all Greek Hellenists). It's been a fun ~5 years so far of holding my breath and keeping people from revolting. The charismatic leader of my largest army went rogue and started trying to collaborate with two of my potential heirs (son and daughter) to start a civil war against me. When I got the event that the general approached my son, I took the option to bribe the kid into not joining the general; and the event for the daughter "failed" because she and the general just hated each other too much to work together.

So this rogue general is unable to solicit much support for his rebellion, but he still has my largest army in his pocket. He's now at 0% loyalty. Suddenly, I get a message that the head of one of the other noble families -- an Egyptian Kemetic lady nonetheless -- murdered the general because of a rivalry.

Felt kinda neat.

Archaeology Hat posted:

Is this game Stellaris on launch where there's a core here but it's going to take some pretty serious overhauls to make it into something that's actually fun long term or is it CK2 on launch where there's a playable solid core here but there's a ton of room to add to it in a sensible way but also a few notable gaps?

At this point I'd say its much closer to CK2-at-launch than Stellaris-at-launch, at least in terms of "completeness".

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 26, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TjyvTompa posted:

Aaaah can someone explain why I get 4 tyranny when I declare wars? Is there a council somewhere like in CK2? Where can I find it, how can I see what the problem is? Why isn't this mentioned even once in the tutorial?

I'm doing the tutorial and I am at the part where I'm supposed to take over the southern part of Italy but I can't declare any wars without getting tyranny what the gently caress come on. Can anyone explain this poo poo without linking to some video where some troglodyte slowly mumbles for hours about poo poo I don't care about?

You have a Senate that has to approve of your war, otherwise you get tyranny (since you're a republic). In that respect it's just like CK2. Monarchies don't have that problem.

There is apparently a button somewhere that will show you why the Senate isn't agreeing to the war but I'll be hosed if I know where it is. The tutorial is fantastically bad.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

pdxjohan posted:

Click the senate hand and all factions will tell you why they view an issue like they do

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TjyvTompa posted:

Thank you, I will find this "senate hand" and click on it and supposedly I will immediately understand how it works.

I think it's on the declare war screen. Like in EU4, you know when you call your allies to war and there's either the red X, the green checkmark, or the little hand where it shows you if they'd be willing to join your war? I think it's similar to that.

I have no idea though, this UI is Uncommonly Bad for a Paradox game and I'm pretty sure people have said this from the beginning.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MinistryofLard posted:

Also is almost all of Ireland, bits of Scotland, and a massive band of land between the Netherlands to Germany meant to be uninhabited?

Colonizable land a la EU4.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So uh, how do I see how many slaves I get when I siege a province?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I switched over to trying out a Settled Tribe. So is it... normal that all of my Clan Chiefs who have their own retinues on the map will just inevitably become disloyal, because they have a big-rear end negative loyalty modifier due to having loyal cohorts?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TTBF posted:

I loaded up an Egypt game because I wanted to go that route, and discovered I'd need to pay several thousand oratory and rack up tyranny to get my governors to stop trying to convert everyone into Hellenic Macedonians. At current oratory rate it's 8 months per governor policy and there's 11 of these governors trying to convert everything on campaign start. Is there a simpler/quicker way to get them to stop?

Reload the game. Governor policies are randomized at game start. It could be that literally every one of them has the assimilation policy, or it could be that only like half of them do.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The first LP has to be republican Crete. Goons will never forgive you anything else.

I dunno man, it might be worth saving Crete for when this game gets a bit more content.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

14 hours in and I think I'm mostly done until 1.1 hits in June (except for goon multiplayer anyway).

Game's pretty okay and has potential but there are a lot of kinks that need worked out, and someone needs to ... add more fun to it.

Edit: looking at Stellaris and HOI4's DLC release schedules for DLC, it looks like we can probably realistically expect some kind of DLC around the time of PDXCon 6 months from now. HOI4 got a proper expansion after around 6 months, whereas Stellaris only got a Story Pack (with a full-sized expansion taking around a year after release).

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 27, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I think this game has a lot of potential and hopefully gets a better or more enriching DLC cycle than Stellaris or HOI4, which are good games, but I think their development teams got pulled for making Imperator which is why they seem a little less loved.

I think Paradox has like four other "projects" running in the background that haven't been officially announced (all with Roman-sounding codenames still iirc). So in addition to DLC for all four (now five) of the current-gen games, they've got that going on.

Paradox got real big real fast.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gort posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut for pausing/unpausing the game? I was expecting spacebar to work.

Spacebar does work though? :confused:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Phlegmish posted:

Pretty bad review score on Steam, I guess this needs some more time in the oven?

I'm not too worried, a lot of Paradox games have had a rocky start

It's fun to play now, but it does feel quite... empty. I don't regret the purchase though and hour-wise I feel I've gotten good bang for my buck so far.

That being said if you haven't bought it now, I'd wait until 1.1 is released in June (aka: "the proper launch version") which includes features and fixes that didn't make it into 1.0 because of the development freeze they had in February in anticipation of release.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

trapped mouse posted:

Not sure how this event specifically works, but yes, it does matter. Often time that character will be put in a debtor's prison and will be unable to fill any positions until they have paid off their debt in prison. I've had that happen a couple times when I have a governor pay money to a province over some issue.

In my experience it doesn't matter one lick if the character is your ruler though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wait, so the finesse rating currently does nothing? Then what determines how quickly pops are converted/promoted/assimilated by provincial policies?

Apparently?

Funny because there was a dev diary before release that specifically tells you to use governors with a high Finesse score. Did they just... forget to make it do the thing?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TorakFade posted:

This will be cool and I really want to see where they want to go with it. Stability always felt a bit odd against all other systems in their games. Population Growth news are also cool. No news about a ledger, fixing the UI or making interaction with the moving parts of the game easier and friendlier, is not cool :(

I'm still wondering if manpower regen being abysmal is a bug or a feature, because it feels really broken. Pop growth news is tentatively good though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mugsbaloney posted:

Aaaaagh I can't decide

Bare minimum wait until June when 1.1 is out.

But you already purchased didn't you

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sydin posted:

Attrition is really obnoxious. I get they're trying to make a big deal out of the "early antiquity so not much development / logistics yet" thing but I can barely march an army of 20K troops through three provinces without losing 1K guys to attrition. I doubt Paradox is going to patch it any time soon though, since they seem very proud of how much attrition matters. I'll wait for the workshop mods I guess.

You know you can split up your armies into smaller-sized ones that more easily navigate your supply capacity, right? Not everything needs to be a stack.

And more, smaller armies gives you a chance to get more generals out there, which is good for a few reasons -- not having to worry about families getting pissed off that they don't have jobs, less of a worry of a single super-powerful general in charge of a doomstack starting a civil war, etc.

It is more micromanagement though but at this point micromanagement of armies is pretty much the only content there is to be had in this bad-side-of-mediocre game anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

That's a pretty hefty patch. I'll give it a shot once its out, but I'm really skeptical about how much of a difference it's going to make to get me to playing the game regularly again.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lawman 0 posted:

Did anyone try this yet?

I'm installing the beta patch now but I have zero desire to play this game. Might fire it up later after I've had a couple drinks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

RabidWeasel posted:

it's fairly easy to end up in a situation where gold basically doesn't matter

This tends to happen in pretty much any Paradox game though (except HOI4 where there is no money, but yeah), but especially in CK2/EU4/Vic2.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Interpreting that as "we're still hardcore in damage control mode and will do just about anything to show people we're actively working on making this game acceptable, even if it means putting out a 1.2 beta patch like a week after the 1.1 beta patch went out of beta"

I mean, good on them for putting stuff out at least. Not faulting them on improving the game at all, but the timing on it seems a bit... flaily.

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 4, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1154114549219508224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I did maybe 50-60 hours of launch Stellaris and enjoyed it much, much more in the time immediately after launch than I have with I:R. I don't really remember the zeitgeist of the time with Stellaris as well as some of the other titles, but I started considering it a good game around the time of... the machine empire DLC, I think? And it's only gotten better.

I still play it far less than CK/EU/Vic/HOI though. It has maybe half of the playtime of the rest (500ish hours on each of the first four, about 250 on Stellaris).

Still only have twenty hours in Imperator, even with the current patch state. I don't feel as butthurt about it as some people did/do about Stellaris though (it was a bad game at launch therefore I will never enjoy it!!!!1), but I still think it's a bad game that I'm perfectly content not touching for another year until they sort it out.