Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've been watching this game for awhile and it looks solid, but I'm really reluctant to jump in before 1.0

Also gently caress clicking on and sorting garbage loot, hope that won't be a major "feature", I stopped playing poe because of it (even with insanely strict filtering).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anno posted:

I’ve seen this pop up to the top page or two on Steam global sellers and stay there recently. Did it hit it big in the streaming community or something?

I’m glad though because the few hours I’ve put into the EA seem quite good.

I saw a whole rash of PoE streamers posting YT vids on it in the last week, not sure why - the one I checked said it wasn't sponsored (though he's done sponsored vids in past years).

I can only assume PoE fatigue/GGG outrage for <whatever>

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

how thirsty are arpg fans?

very, they are very thirsty

(I don't blame them, being one, nobody makes good arpgs)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Controller support in this is so frustratingly close to good - it's already better than PoE which is loving embarassing when comparing GGG to this Small Indie Dev (tm)

But it has a ton of issues that are like, immediately and obviously apparent if you play on controller normally (and doubly so if you've played D3/D4/Grim Dawn/PoE/etc on a pad)

Can't complain too much, since it wasn't long ago there were basically no arpgs with good controller support, but man, zoom in/out hardbound on dpad instead of like, inventory/map? :psyduck: Stuff like that all over the place.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anno posted:

Since I started playing this Primalist I've wondered why I occasionally get a wolf that's super mega aggro. Like running across half the map when everyone else is just chillin' with me. Today I got one of those wolves and happened to notice it had a name, not just "Primal Wolf" or whatever - Fenton. Which I have to believe is the most deep cut reference ever to this video which I haven't thought of in like a decade. What a weird thing to exist.

this is peak game development

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

well I've played two builds to Monoliths (not empowered mind), but I'm not really digging either the builds, or the endgame 'mapping' or both, not sure

The maps feel kinda/very empty, and the loading on each map is annoying given how fast you run them

I did some kind of swarm beetle lightning thing on druid, and a shadow blades teleporting bladedancer - both seem to be able to tear through early monoliths with no effort, but I wasn't really digging the feel of either

dunno if I need to try a different class/build and get deeper into endgame or just wait for the next major patch to adjust mapping feel

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

one of the dungeons lets you smoosh an exalted together with a unique to make a legendary

it has to have 4 affixes iirc, and it'll pull the number of lp (1 to 4) in affixes randomly from the exalted into the unique

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've never looked at what I picked up, the whole thing is a ui bug

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Clarste posted:

No one would play a game that was only numbers. Visuals and sound effects are a huge part of what makes hitting monsters satisfying.

I don't disagree with your second point but your first was not sound footing :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The multiplayer stuff is a dealbreaker for me personally, I tried it with some friends a bit and it was just way too clunky and annoying

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

have they said they're doing anything for mp loading (and other) issues for 1.0?

or the static endgame maps

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wait what, the campaign won't be done with 1.0? :psyduck:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The entire games balance is centered around the cash shop and seasonal battle pass. So it completely ruins the flow and pacing of the game. There's no way to fix it unless the cash shop and battle passes are removed. The game has to be played a certain way in order to inflate player engagement and play hours. Its why the damage output of the classes is so low and enemies are such huge health sponges. Can't have players finishing the seasonal content too quickly.

:psyduck:

players are insanely powerful and smashing everything is expected

D4 needs some serious endgame love and the itemization revamp that's supposedly coming next season, but not being able to kill everything in sight with a quickness is not one of its core issues by any stretch

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

After playing a few days this game feels almost exactly like PoE with a slightly better crafting system, which isn't really enough to make me want to play it more.

I got to monoliths with a few characters and dropped it, between the mp issues killing it for my play group and the combat feeling kinda weightless I lost interest

I do like the systems design in general, so I'll check out the 1.0 release to see how it feels (even if the campaign still not being done is pretty lol)

I'm mostly curious to see if they've improved gamepad support and mp. If not, well, grim dawn has an expansion coming this year and D4 is getting an itemization revamp next season and an expansion as well

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I still want to know who is

gently caress YEAH BIRD

and somehow got them to make it a mastery

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

theshim posted:

Guess I'll give this a shot when 1.0 drops. I know nothing. Is there anything I really need to know before diving straight in?

there's a bunch of starting 1.0 vids popping up on yt now, all the d4/poe content creators are getting their bag

that said it's pretty friendly and even has a good in game guide to mechanics

you can do just fine and get to endgame on any class just picking whatever makes sense and picking appropriate gear that matches your skills, worry about optimizing later

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lol posted:

All enemies have 2% more health

All enemies deal 1% more damage

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I hate crafting and I think this crafting is pretty great

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yeah the sound in D4 is straight up world class, I play on a home theater setup and if I have it cranked my neighbors know I am the mightiest barbarian

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Quoting this because big :same:

Something deeper than D4 but not PoE sounds perfect.

It's... ok

UI does not fully reflect controller use (all the tooltips/text still say kbm controls, skills say 'press alt to show more info' which isn't super helpful)

Much more annoying, you apparently can't rebind the majority of controls for no apparent reason. Up and down on the dpad are zoom camera in/out instead of like, I dunno, inventory? skills? character? Anything useful?

Getting to inventory on a dualsense is 'hold Options, press right stick up left, release Options', which is utter trash, touchpad can't be bound to anything.

That said you can like, move around and zap things with your skills so that's fine I guess?

You can probably jigger something up with steam input and a custom control scheme, like ain't no way I'm playing this with a three button chord that requires taking my thumbs off the left stick just to check my loving inventory.

tldr: it's functional but I remember both running into these issues in EA and reporting them on their forum a year+ ago and they didn't change any of them, so yeah. Better than PoE, not even on the same planet as D4.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Barreft posted:

Most of these sound like a dualsense problem. No problems like you say for me with the bolded.

e: using an 8bitdo

I'll give steam input and/or ds4windows and/or an xbox controller a shot later, didn't feel like troubleshooting at the time - the same controller works fine in D4

e: lmao now this thread is the same recruit spam as the general chat

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yeah this controller support is junk, tried dualsense, dualsense + ds4windows emulating dualshock4 or xbox pad, xbox one controller

none of them allow binding of basic functions like inventory, skills, passives :psyduck:

zoom in and out seem to be hard bound to dpad up and down

I'm going to fix this by using steam input or ds4w to bind buttons and paddles to keyboard keys, this is some dumb and bad poo poo

edit: yeah this is rear end, I tried rebinding dpad up/down via steam input, that works, but then you can't use the dpad to navigate menus :shepface: I'll gently caress with this later, not worth the headache rn

victrix fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 22, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I want to play with friends, but if you don't and you're playing online ??????????????

InventorOfTrees posted:

offline isn't real and my characters have no permanence.

*literally never touches a PoE character ever again after they move to standard*

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Clocks posted:

I'm having a great time playing a warlock!

Still not a fan of having to redo the campaign over and over later on though. It's what causes me to skip every other league (if not more) in PoE to not burn out anymore. These things are fun for the first time but end up being a very, very, multiple-hours-long dragged out tutorial every time past the first couple.

you can use dungeons to skip past it on later characters

why isn't it just a button?

:animateddiscordemojishrug:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

you can't make me eat my brussels sprouts

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

they never solved it in EA so whatever the problem is, it's clearly pretty fundamental to their engine architecture and won't be fixed until they get lots more money/engineers/time

similar to early in PoE's lifespan when its netcode was pure garbage and hitching and teleporting were the norm instead of the exception

the fact that its worse in a party though is just... phew, it's bad

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

100% of the time without fail if you suggest that perhaps the old bad grindy ways are old and bad and grindy, Gamers will jump out of the woodwork to explain to you why you won't actually enjoy what you want

It's sort of funny in the context of stuff like campaign skips, it's wildly unfunny in the context of accessibility options

(for the record I loving hate the poe campaign and love that D4 lets me skip it and immediately go do seasonal poo poo with friends)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Imaginary Friend posted:

Pro-tip for controller users: start the game with a mouse click. It seems that it sometimes gets stuck on loading if you use the controller to enter.

what

dooooooooooo they dangle to and fro

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

queeb posted:

Oh yeah well in d4 I can make my spell do more damage or more critical damage

I'm going to laugh when that specific pair of nodes gets updated in a patch before a big skill revamp or expac

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

fancy stats posted:

so poe is set in fantasy australia?

also, am I aiming to hit 75 or 150 on my resistances?

75 or 105, iirc I saw 30 over cap to help against resist shred but I don't know where I read that number so it could well be wrong

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

It's the same thing that works in diablo and other games. First you have to bind an ability to a numpad key. Then with numlock on, you hold down that numpad key and turn numlock off and then let go of the numpad key. The game thinks you are essentially holding that button down forever so every time the ability comes off cooldown it will get used automatically. It works especially well with falconer because the attacks are instant cast so they don't interrupt you while you're running or doing other stuff, their mana is insignificant, and your falcon will just hit whatever poo poo is on screen with the attacks so you don't really have to worry about manually targeting them.

challenge level: prove arpgs aren't vampire survivors clones

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

queeb posted:

im undecided on CoF or trade yet

do you want to find lots of very good loot or buy perfect loot?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Last Epoch: everything autocasting from my spooky gash

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is still a total mess for multiplayer, was having load time issues, failed loads, loading into the wrong instance of the same area, etcetcetc, during off peak hours

These are all exactly the same issues I ran into trying to play with friends during EA :effort:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

putting the mastery choice dude upstairs was definitely a choice

think every one of my friends missed that

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Erulisse posted:

lol this game is so jank i cant even

runemaster's flame rush (primary runemaster blink skill) that transforms character into a fiery ball

just moves character model in t-pose underground for the effect

visions of bunny

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Multiplayer is so loving broken in this game

Spent ten minutes trying to join a friend after a zone transition failed and left me stuck at a loading screen (despite being able to hear poo poo in the bg killing me, cool), couldn't join because I still showed in his party, leave party wouldn't work for him, neither of us could invite the other

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

health, physical resist, resists, whatever stat scales their current main damage skill, movement speed

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Does the combat ever get more interesting in high corruption? I'm getting pretty bored wiping every screen with minimal/no dodging or positioning required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CAW CAW CAW

falconers are no longer invited to my parties