Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

QuarkMartial posted:

"Does the penguin...enjoy that?" "Well," he responded after getting snapped at by the penguin, "they put up with it." Which to us read as, "Hell loving no they don't enjoy it."

Although your story sounds like abuse, the penguin biting the poo poo out of the dude is sort of what they do. We went to an aquarium in The Hague last year where they had a live penguin feeding. It was also breeding season so the... studs? I don't know what you call a male breeding penguin... the studs were pretty pissed off/horny/territorial and wanted to bring food home to their honeys.

So the keeper is pulling out fish from his satchel and the penguins are loving raking his hands and forearms with their serrated beaks; blood's coming out. One of the little kids next to me starts making worried Dutch sounds because this dude is taking hit after hit.

After about two dozen small-scale penguin attacks, the keeper starts grabbing the beaks before they can get to him, shaking their heads gently and then giving a bad-child lecture with his finger in the air. One of the penguins takes extreme umbrage to this, so he holds that penguin's beak shut the entire rest of the time while handing out the fish.

By the time they were done, he was bleeding pretty heavily from both arms and leaving a trail behind in the sand.

It definitely changed my perception of penguins from being roly-poly sea friends to angry little birds with razor-sharp beaks. At the Biodome and my local zoo, the keepers stay way further away from the birds when they are feeding them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cage posted:

Pickle chat? I could eat an entire jar of pickles. I would eat nothing but pickles if the salt intake wouldn't kill me. Baby dills are my jam oh YEAH.

I tried making salt brine pickles recently but I must not have started with the right kind of cucumber or something because they just became slightly crunchier at best, not pickle-y cucumbers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cage posted:

Like the natural fermentation kind? We tried that once before, they were good but yeah more cucumber than a pickle.

Yeah, basically. I think I might try a different technique. Vinegar?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I was thinking that sort of thing, but I don't think it's standard in windows nor do I know what the receiver has for software.

I just did password protection internally in the .doc file.

Appreciate it though.

There's a password/encryption component to the ZIP standard but it's extremely weak, so there are competing standards from third-party tools. The table of contents (filenames listing) is almost never encrypted.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Bozo the Clown's old Lincoln Continental MkV is up for sale on Bring a Trailer.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-lincoln-mark-v-5/

You know you want to pay homage to his legacy by riding around in this fine Ford.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Black88GTA posted:

lmao, jesus christ :flaccid:

You'll never find a smoother V8, though. It's sort of like when you have an easy drinking beer that's 0.9% ABV.

Hey, those are also American.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

I'm in Naples at the moment and the pizzas I've eaten in the last two days have totally changed my outlook on pizza, it's the best I've had in my life and some of the best food I've tasted in general. I'm going to Pepe In Grani on Sunday and I'm so excited..

I feel like I must have stayed in the wrong parts of Naples since I didn't really enjoy it. Rome had phenomenal everything, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pick 'em up and drop them off at my place. You want USB?

I'm already reverse-engineering and converting two Japanese keyboards (to work with different Japanese machines), that can't be any more difficult.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

He was an amazing man. His parents emigrated from Italy to Quebec in the 1920s, and he was fluent in Italian, French, and English. Was a member of the Sheet Metal Workers International Association for over 75 years (began his apprenticeship at age 14). Moved to Akron and then Mansfield, where he began a whirlwind romance with newly-widowed Grandma, and married her in '78. Was tirelessly devoted to her until her death in 2012. He took me in as his own, but the care he gave her meant more to me than anything (Dad feels the same way, hence the tears). He wasn't my real grandfather, but for over 40 years, he was Grandpa to me.

E: He also served in the RCAF at the tail end of WWII.

RIP. Sounds like a hell of a life. I'm sorry to hear.