Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gonz posted:

I wonder if they’re going to visit the Elephant’s Foot?

Wtf is this caption? The dude is there in the shot (you can see him) and it was taken almost a decade later after the radiation had subsided by ~90%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

That sound is gonna haunt me in my sleep tonight.

I’ve never heard a Geiger counter freak out like that before, my heart stopped

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah if I’m disappointed by anything on this show is that I wish they had more scientists than literally only two (pay for more actors you goddamn cowards) and also the show to be in Russian. Subtitles are fine! I’ve been enjoying the show, but the podcast is definitely something you need to listen to just to know what they changed and what they kept.

I want to actually watch this show, not read subtitles. The cast and cinematography are so insanely good and there are so so so many instances of subtle changes in body language and facial cues that people would miss reading the paragraphs at the bottom of the screen.

Also, there is no way this show had a limited background budget. I’m guessing we’ll see a lot more scientists in this next episode.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The dumbest poo poo I’ve ever read lmao. You can watch shows / films with subtitles and still actively enjoy them. You don’t miss the body language like at all. Some of my favorite loving films and series are from South Korea lol. Anyway I’m sorry but I aggressively disagree with this.

You physically can’t read subtitles and watch the main action at the same time

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

That scene w the head of the KGB was so incredibly well scripted (and acted/directed) that it didn’t need to fall back on any trite outbursts or emotional melodramatic speeches about duty or importance and was impressive for it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pretty sick imagery this episode. I guess one guy didn't want to sit through make-up though? Seemed odd how Comrade NotAppearingInThisEpisode delivered all his lines just out of frame

That baby gonna be born with lots of extra digits or also maybe not at all

This show has a decent budget but the full body Spfx makeup has to be at the absolute minimum with a whole team working four hours on, two off; I’m chalking it up to scheduling

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You’re right, that’s a pretty big Ouchi

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

soviet dereliction is the best dereliction in the world

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I'm still a little surprised even for the USSR wouldn't have done some kind of record keeping for just keeping track of things. Even if in secret.

The USSR doesn’t exist six years after this, so I’d imagine the epidemiology gets sketchy

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The very rare literary conflict: society vs itself

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

luxury handset posted:

it's not even necessarily a screwup to write a bad film that makes scads of money. screenwriters have bills to pay too, and you can spend lots of times just doing work to build your career while writing the script you really want to write. think about how many actors are out there in bad roles before they get something that nets them an oscar

Plus, the more experience you have netting studios money, the weightier your arguments get when you have to defend writing decisions to them.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

It's just like how, say, Apollo 13 doesn't come off as political because it was NASA making the calls and not the president/Congress or having literal military guards and secret police ready to enforce the political will at any moment someone started to buck.

I only caught this on a recent rewatch, but there’s an awesome glimmer of Chernobyl-esque themes in Apollo 13 where a lot of the tension towards the end is whether or not NASA would tell the astronauts if they were irrevocably hosed in the government’s interest of preserving the nobility and decorum of the space program

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Apollo 13 for sure because all of their technical radio chatter is 100% accurate and ripped from the flight logs and you can read along.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

etalian posted:

The most Tankie thing would be to say the US caused Chernobyl.

If the US weren’t constantly embargoing and nuclear arms racing the USSR, they wouldn’t have used the RBMK design don’t @ me

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

“Not fat enough for the character being cosplayed” is a hard target to hit at an anime convention, but by golly here we are

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

People who get nuclear medicine procedures done with micrograms of material are latently radioactive for a period of time, (but for isotopes with half lives of minutes, not years) and have to be isolated from contact with techs/people. While the firefighters themselves weren’t radioactive, it’s almost certain they ingested/inhaled/touched enough radioactive debris that their bodies were functionally radioactive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol, a network paid real money for that post