Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Here’s a Soviet news report a little over a day after the disaster.

It’s incredibly vague and 18 seconds long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuWIIiTLbFM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I wonder if they’re going to visit the Elephant’s Foot?

Numismancer posted:

I've always been fascinated by meltdowns and post-apocalyptic stuff, and I love documentaries like a big nerd. I was all 'cool this will be interesting' and watched this tonight.

In the middle of the episode I became concerned that I'd accidentally taken a double dose of ADHD meds because my heart was pounding so hard I was afraid I might be having a heart attack. Or a panic attack. Or something attack.

I've never seen something as scary on TV in my life. On the face of it, Chernobyl doesn't look like a horror movie, but it will grind you into paste, emotionally. I finished watching it two hours ago and I'm still in fight-or-flight mode. When I looked online and found a bunch of other people going 'holy poo poo what just happened to me' it helped, so here's my contribution to the genre. If this show freaks you the gently caress out, you're not alone.

I think what makes it truly horrifying is that it’s something that happened. And it happened only 33 years ago. And these are actors playing real people who experienced one of the most terrifying things wrought by man.

Those technicians who saw that the RBMK reactor had exploded with their own eyes, despite their training and expertise telling them that such a thing is supposed to be scientifically impossible, must’ve been scared beyond all words, because they knew that they would be dead in a matter of days.

The rest of the world didn’t even know the full extent of the disaster until weeks later. It took a nuclear science lab in Sweden detecting unusually high levels of radiation in the atmosphere before journalists started asking questions.

That downward shot of the reactor meltdown looked like the gates of Hell itself.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 7, 2019

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

can exposure to radiation cause immediate bleeding (ie, the dude who held the door open)? I was under the impression it took a few days for the body to destroy itself #funquestionstoask

The amount of roentgens that guy was exposed to was astronomical. At levels that high, the cell walls of living things begin to hemorrhage in under 30 seconds.

Edit: For example, a dose of 500 Roentgens over the course of an hour is fatal.

Here’s what those numbers were in the immediate aftermath of the disaster:

counterfeitsaint posted:

So was that metal or a chunk of graphite the fire fighter picked up to examine? The one who's hand melted later.

Graphite. Probably part of the exploded control rod channel system.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 7, 2019

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Despera posted:

Great idea of me to watch this last night then have a poo poo ton of x-rays this morning

Everything is fine. You’ll be fine!

*stands behind lead wall*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A good friend of mine was born in Kiev in the early 80's and remembers the whole Chernobyl disaster as a child. Not too long afterwards, she and her family escaped to France (specifically because of Chernobyl) and then found their way to Brooklyn. She's an accomplished human rights lawyer who travels all the time as a result, and the last time she was in Ukraine (three years ago) she actually took the grand tour of Pripyat and posted about 300 photos worth to her Facebook account.

She had no idea that HBO was making a miniseries out of this. I told her about it last night and showed her the trailer. She said she's gonna watch it tonight with her husband. I will report back here what her opinions are regarding it and any stories she might have to tell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

I want Jared Harris to switch to Belter Creole. That's pretty much the other possible accent change I would be in favor of.

“ME CRUSH INTERNAL ORGANS TO DUST!”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

algebra testes posted:

I am surprised the thread title isnt "lmao Nice Meltdown, Comrade"

This.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I remember buying some iodine capsules from the grocery store when Fukushima happened.

You know.

“Just in case.”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A FB copy and paste from my Ukrainian expat friend who was a kid in Kiev when this poo poo went down:

quote:

Saw this last night and it was good! I hope they show some of the aftermath in the country and nearby cities, because I can’t speak for everyone in Pripyat, as I wasn’t there, but in parts of my town, as soon as we found out about the truth of the matter the next week, many of my neighbors just dropped what they were doing and put as much as they could in a briefcase or luggage and either drove or took trains to the south. Some classmates of mine ended up in Odessa near the Black Sea to stay with family. They were told that it was a vacation. Their parents didn’t want to scare them.

Not everybody believed the government when they told us which areas were affected and which weren’t. My mom worked at a pharmacy and my dad was an architect for a construction group in Kyiv Oblast. They had, I suppose, abandoned their jobs because they were so scared of being only 2 hours away from ground zero. When we were there, my mom made us all buy new clothes and shoes because she was concerned the old ones were irradiated, even though they weren’t.

We made sure we all had our papers because there were scattered military checkpoints set up in a large area around the northern country after it happened. We stayed in a town called Kherson at a tiny hotel for 2 months before we went back home. My dad was able to argue for his job back because he had kept in touch with coworkers by phone during the ordeal, but my mom was fired. In late 1991 after the independence referendum happened, we decided to leave to Istanbul via a boat, and managed to get cheap fare to a small banlieue in central France. The next year, some of our extended relatives in the US (as my parents, who were not rich by any means, had basically used years worth of savings to get away from Ukraine) paid our way to New York and let us stay with them.

In the span of 3 years, I was in a Ukrainian school, a French school, and a NYC public school. My english was not good, though passable, but I studied hard to learn it. I had classmates who spread rumors that I was radioactive. It was hard adjusting for a long time, but it all worked out in the end.

In terms of the first episode, they definitely got the look and feel of mid-80’s Ukraine right. It’ll be fascinating to see where else the writers go with the blame game once characters start pointing fingers at one another as to who was responsible for what.

Not tonight, but probably this weekend, i’ll find some good shots she took of the Exclusion Zone and post ‘em in here.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Nyet comrade, meter is fine.

*begins shedding layers of skin*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kpZVTe7bng

“Yesssss. I am fiiiiiiine!”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Communists knew they were missing out on pizza after 7 and a half decades. The USSR was never going to last forever.

Stuff like western music and pizza and blue jeans and a laundry list of other minor amenities we take for granted played a big part in the fall of that empire.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l3g3m8Vrgs

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

400 Rubles wow big spenders.

400 Soviet rubles in 1986....

....equalled 99 US dollars in 1986.

Biiiiiiiiiig spenders

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jared Harris working hard to catch up with Sean Bean.

https://twitter.com/JaredHarris/status/1126806813964427264

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

By the way, if they hadn’t drained those water tanks?

This is the radius of the explosion that would’ve occurred.

Much of Europe owes it’s current existence to those three men.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is it known what caused the helicopter to crash? was it the crew passing out from radiation, the radiation frying all their electronics, the sheer heat melting poo poo, or all of the above?

I think it was a combo of the electronics shorting out and the blades hitting a steel support line of some kind, causing them to be sheared off.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Despera posted:

What so they dont develop superpowers?

Well they might.

Being impervious to small arms fire isn’t one of those superpowers, though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/clmazin/status/1132166679935369216

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

My brother has been working on rendering and texturing Chernobyl’s interior structures in Blender for a handful of months, now. He’s been working with a Polish videogame developer for a Stalker-esque game that has to do with the disaster.

He just sent this over to me, figured this thread would like it. He’s using as many reference photos as he can for the best accuracy. He’s excited because it’s the first game he’s ever worked on.

http://imgur.com/a/bYdfNbg

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The game in question wouldn't happen to be "Chernobylite", would it? Because I've been looking forward to that for quite a bit.

That’s the one!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

WAIT THERE'S A DUNE FILM THIS YEAR!?!? :psyboom:

Well, next year, but yeah.

Duuuuuuuune!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

:kiss:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Chernobyl Otter Pops.

They’re all grey.

They taste like metal.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

Halifax Explosion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz88kJSdT6Y

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The lady just sent me a thing she found at the mall:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I told her not to worry, because 3.6 ain’t good, but it’s not bad, either.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Incredible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

HBO should make a Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact series, and end it with the Katyn Massacre.

Just to gently caress with the Russian government.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I’d watch a Siege of Stalingrad or Battle of Kursk show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CainFortea posted:

But will they post with an English or Russian accent?

Neither.

They will have Dutch accents, as everyone knows the Dutch are the most evil.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Do a Centralia, PA miniseries.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Data Graham posted:

That’s just Nothing But Trouble

Let Dan Aykroyd make a sequel to Nothing But Trouble.

Put CGI Tupac in it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Reactor 4 was sorta like an atomic take on the Bonestripper from Nothing But Trouble.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I live 2 hours from this.

It’s reactors are cooled with pee pee and doo doo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I really hope we see some Reactor #4 or Guys Who Touched Spicy Rocks/Looked Directly Into Hades costumes during the Halloween season this fall.

Some parent will dress their kids as Legasov or Shcherbina or something. Lil’ Shcherbina with a busted rotary phone.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/mattb0401/status/1146063762513776641

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.redbubble.com/people/el...rt&rel=carousel

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Fuckin Dyatlov cosplayers at conventions

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Here’s a fascinating article and visual tour of the Arizona nuclear plant.

https://allthingsnuclear.org/dlochbaum/visit-to-the-palo-verde-nuclear-generating-station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Exiled to Gary, Indiana.

Brutal.