Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

chitoryu12 posted:

Food

510 pounds of bacon
30 pounds of cheese
36 pounds of coffee beans
12 10-lb. sacks of cornmeal

I just woke up and this sounds incredibly appealing right now.

Ford. It's like two feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
We lost ten pounds of coffee?! THIRTY POUNDS OF CORNMEAL?!

Replace supplies, consider whether this is a bad omen, stay on the lookout for more.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Unfortunately, they have no coffee to replace what we lost.

:negative:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

It was discovered that the survivors at the camp had also resorted to cannibalism and Lewis Keseberg was suspected of murdering others to eat them.

Or, as The Memory Palace put it:

Nate DiMeo posted:

Lewis Keseberg wasn't a good man. He cursed and he stole. He would drink and get into moods, and then get into fights. He beat his wife. He was cruel. Lewis Keseberg wasn't a good man ... but he didn't eat those people.
It's a really good episode, but then, they almost all are.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Why do you think I need anything other than Bacon, Beans, Cornbread, and Coffee? :colbert:

Should we be going by our own knowledge/intuition, or would looking stuff up be fair game?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

As I didn't vote formally before, Throw them all away. We have plenty of food and if we need more we can hunt and kill some meat. Berries and leaves are for animals, not people. (Cornbread's still good though.)

(Reasoning inspired by The Dinner of Cathcart Zen.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

UED Special Ops posted:

Looks a tad deep for fording across, so Caulk and Float. Hopefully with less loss of coffee then before...

Your arguments sway me and my gimmick posting. Caulk and Float.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Question: Just how much laudanum do we have? I'm tempted to use it to solve every problem, but I don't want to run out.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

One 4 oz. bottle.

:mad:

Try peppermint. Cholera's caused by bad odors, right? Maybe we can override them.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Goodguy3 posted:

What else does the game tell us about the hill's conditions ?

Yes, roll for Spot check.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

oldskool posted:

Continue on

No oxen left behind. Unless they die. In which case we eat them, thereby carrying them on with us in nutrient form. :btroll:

:hai:

I agree in full.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

We need coffee and laudanum, obviously. More specifically, what are our supplies like right now? We lost some stuff and it's been six weeks.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Apparently Americans call a kind of raisins currants for some stupid reason,
I've wondered about this. Thank you. I kept thinking "is that all currants are?"

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

steinrokkan kramers into the thread to make more sweeping generalizations about Americans. What do we do?

Alternate coffee and laudanum until we don't care any more. Speaking of

CirclMastr posted:

We need to buy:
All their laudanum
113 pounds of bacon
78 pounds of cheese
2 boxes of 20 bullets
1 grandfather clock

I endorse this + more coffee. :coffeepal:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Take the ferry; don't lose the bacon we just bought.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

What good will money be when we're off the trail? Take the ferry.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Slaan posted:

Avoid the Mormons,

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Look around for another path? Clearing rocks sounds like a ton of work.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Black Robe posted:

Wow, we're utterly useless. How do you even fail at picking up rocks and putting them down somewhere else. We have oxen for the big ones. Sheesh.

Keep going to Fort Hall, we need to resupply.

I like to imagine the entire wagon party shouting and arguing about different ways of dealing with the pile of rocks. By the time the next wagon arrived, our party is sullenly not speaking to each other any more.

Take the Road to Fort Hall. I don't trust us in the desert and don't we completely lack good water vessels?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Well, at least we aren't dying of thirst.

Wait. Rest up. Stare at the river. Grow ever more sullen.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Because it's so cheap relative to our current money, I buy all his water barrels for the journey ahead.

Questions:

What's Saleratus?

Why is whiskey so cheap and why aren't you buying all of it?

Also, wouldn't another spare wagon tongue be a good idea, now that we've used ours?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

What's the current coffee mill count?
This is an important question.

Buy Coffee (and mill?), cornmeal, bacon. Maybe more pemmican? Buy spare wagon parts.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Water kegs, spare parts.

Seriously, guys. I know very little about this game, but I know there's plenty of desert between the Sierra Nevadas and Sacramento. We'll need as much water as we can carry.

This, strongly, but also: COFFEE. You cross deserts at night and need coffee to stay up late, right? :downs:

:coffeepal:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I want to keep the patient very active, and plan to do so no matter the illness.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Wait for someone else to start a ferry service.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Stay. Active. Exercise that joint. Work the sprain out. Get marching, toddler.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Throw them all out. Vegetables are not food. Food eats vegetables, Man eats food. Consume only flesh.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Does that have a significance? Like, if you pick something and then throw it away, does it maybe give you a rash?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

gently caress.

Why do we keep losing coffee gear?!

Continue down the hill normally. Normally, though undercaffeinated.

fake edit: also, I just noticed that we can ask for advice while our wagon is on its side in the middle of the river.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Suzaku posted:

Gotta drink it before it ends up on a hillside or in a river!

:hmmyes:

The key to health is clean drinking. Increase fluid intake, use water/coffee/whiskey to lube up the body's internals.

Is there an option to arbitrary apply whiskey (or laudanum?) at any time?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

You know, every time we get somewhere and I'm not sure what to do, I look at that "Rest here" option and wonder why we can't stop moving westward and just found a city where we're standing.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

That's a serious problem. Why do we not have any salt?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Why do we have no laudanum?!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

In our delirious mourning, eat all of them.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Is it ever a good idea to lock the wheels and just ski down? Because it sounds like a terrible idea and I always want to give it a try on these muddy hills. (This is not a formal vote.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Eat. Everything.

Everything.