Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

it's really hard to gauge the effect of sanctions at all, but at the same time we need more of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hey fnox, is your last name something like mengele-eichmann?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

guys, i'm a venezuelan living in sweden, and i'm here to tell you there's no blood price too high to free venezuela of maduro

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

maduro: with my empanada ray, I can turn anything into an empanada mr. ryan. cats, cars, even people... I find newborns make the tastiest empanadas...

jack ryan *growly voice*: you sick freak! I’ll stop you. the USA will stop you!

maduro: stop me? I’ve already turned Washington DC into an empanada mr ryan. you’ve lost. your United States have lost

jack ryan *crying*: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

cnn: bernie sanders, why do you want to illegalize medicine with medicare for all?

*bernie sighs as he draws the sword of nader and the victorious saber of bolivar*

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i'm still not certain of how bad maduro is, but posters like fnox who want venezuela bombed while they hang out in sweden are scum

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fast Luck posted:

Maduro offering new presidential elections to the opposition and the US vetoing the offer
https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1158949874227920896

Meanwhile total media and political establishment silence on the protests in Honduras
https://twitter.com/leftiblog/status/1159125996030713856

Timeline here is
2005, Zelaya defeats incumbent and agricultural landowner Pepe Lobo for presidency
2008, Honduras joins the Bolivarian alliance under Zelaya
2009, military ousts Zelaya for considering amending the constitution to allow the reelection of a President
2009, Coup is condemned internationally, even by the OAS, but given stamp of approval by Obama/Clinton
2009, with Zelaya in exile, the National Party's Pepe Lobo wins back presidency
2010, Honduras leaves the Bolivarian alliance
2013, National Party candidate Juan Orlando Hernandez (JOH) wins election as opposition splits its vote
2014, twelve environmental activists are killed
2016, indigenous leader and environmental activist Berta Caceres is assassinated by US-trained School of the Americas troops backed by banking interests
2017, Re-election ban for Presidents is now lifted so JOH can run again
2017, JOH is losing re-election by 5 points when the vote count is "paused" for 36 hours, then unpaused and JOH comes back and wins, even the Economist declares election is stolen
2019, JOH, who the US praised as an ally in the "war on drugs," is indicted for drug trafficking

But the US prefers to focus its efforts on overthrowing legitimately elected Nicolas Maduro

I can't believe you would post this without the full context of the paywalled article

if you read the whole article you would see that bolton is perfectly right to not only torpedo negotiations, but to ratchet up sanctions and embargo/blockade venezuela

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What the EU and Lima Group care about first and foremost is human rights

no you see, the trump administration cares deeply about human rights

that's why they are locking people in stuffed to the brim cages

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i love that the empanada summit thread has gone silent after bolton ratcheted up the punishment on venezuela to ultra starvation

guess the USA didn't want to help venezuelans breathe free after all. at least when fnox returns from sweden his home will be free of all those dirty maduro supporters

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I didn’t realize at first, because m.discordia worded it ultra obtusively so he wouldn’t get in trouble for talking about non-venezuela stuff, but apparently us anti-interventionist leftists have to answer for the USSR famines cause we’re apparently in favor of those?

I love how these coup-mongers always fall back on screaming “tankie!!!” at you when they have no actual argument

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

why don’t you trust us that food shortages have been around forever after we’ve claimed everything short of “maduro makes babies into empanadas!!!” :qq:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

hey fnox, if it isn't clear, I think you're a monstrous human being for supporting the opposition in starving your people instead of demanding trump drop his hosed up sanctions and embargo. you should also want the opposition to negotiate again for new elections with unbiased election monitors present

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

536 posted:

You have one thats very vocal that has posted a dozen times that he doesn't believe the food crisis is real.

There are a few others that are hard skeptics that post poo poo like google reviews of restaurants that somehow proves the poor aren't starving.

i never once posted that the food crisis is faked 536. does it seriously break your brain that I'm not sure about the food crisis? both you and fnox want me to give a hard yes/no when I don't think there's enough evidence to make such assertions, and you just assume i secretly think "no, no food crisis" cause how could someone not immediately agree or disagree?

Condiv has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Aug 13, 2019

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

536 posted:

You can't do the whole "im still on the fence about people being hungry" when you won't even look at the studies that have been done.

Explain to me again how its muddy if people were hungry in 2018.

https://www.hrw.org/report/2019/04/04/venezuelas-humanitarian-emergency/large-scale-un-response-needed-address-health

Or are you telling me the doctors reporting high levels of malnourished children being admitted are western agents?

why can't I stay on the fence 536? I'm staying on the fence with regards to the "opposition reporter was spy" news and the "food headed to venezuela blocked at panama" news, why shouldn't i remain undecided on a murkier issue?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

apparently the takeaway i'm supposed to be getting is that sanctions and embargoes are the way for venezuela to finally get the humanitarian aid it deserves. or something. I've never heard of a country being returned to prosperity from humanitarian aid, and I don't see how crushing the economy into a fine powder after maduro's supposedly crushed it to pieces is supposed to help recovery but apparently there are big studies that show that totally annihilating a country economically is just a great way to recover from previous mismanagement

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

this is not surprising. after the way trump's been dealing with china, and the US supposedly funding and instigating the protests in hong kong, china is probably going to get closer to the other nations the US is being a shitbird to.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Corky Romanovsky posted:

venezuela is pretty stupid for rejecting the counter off from the united states of...*checks notes*...:yikes:

i believe it was "surrender your country to us immediately

or maybe that was the opposition's counter offer? people sure want to make sure you remember they have agency of their own

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

cspam is well known for being the most serious subforum of all subfora

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

an anonymous source has informed me that maduro posts on something awful, and if you empty quote this post for 5 pages he will bestow the sword of bolivar upon c-spam

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

420 Gank Mid posted:

Did Max Blumenthal steal your girlfriend?

worse

blumenthal was allowed to touch the sword of bolivar. 536 would love to, but he doesn't realize that maduro doesn't respond to negging

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it takes a kiddie diddler to know a kiddie diddler obviously

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

no sanctions! no sanctions!!

you're the sanctions!!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

why is this thread infested with maduro apologists? please stop apologizing for maduro by demanding the US stop starving venezuelans

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

hey guys, i know a colonel who's in jail from trying to save venezuela from chavez, and he used his one phone call to tell me this thread sucks

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

in the US, military dissent is not just allowed, it's cherished. just look at the treatment of chelsea manning

cuba and venezuela have a lot to learn

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I'm very surprised the bad venezuela thread regulars managed to get their own thread closed despite PPJ having swallowed their rhetoric completely uncritically

edit: oh they started whining about it in qqcs

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Majorian posted:

I just want to laugh in their faces. Is that too much to ask?:qq:

yes, you'd get probed for a month

the d&d thread was literally one-sided in moderation. the thread regulars could post the wildest, most made up poo poo, accuse people against intervention of being authoritarians, and never get any punishment on it. any pushback on that toxicity, or not accepting the thread narrative on a subject was a probatable offense though

it was a lovely thread and it's better dead and buried

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i cannot believe maduro has taken over chile and is brutalizing even more people

the US needs to intervene and save this country!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

time to change the thread title back to “please coup” lk

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i peeked at the d&d equiv of this thread and... yikes

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the people supporting the opposition and trying to square that with “we love democracy, but it had to be stopped by the military” and “I’m not a nazi just cause I support a party with tons of nazis in it” is a sight to behold

:discourse:

also someone brought up one of the Venezuela thread regulars not having scrubbed his account and turning out to be a white as gently caress perfect English speaking guy in another country. was it the original creator of the Venezuela thread or the guy with the eagle avatar (can’t remember their names sorry)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

it was fnox, i think his excuse was that he was a venezuelan "expat" living in sweden which means he's the child of some gusano at best. his family probably stood to make out well if the coup went off without a hitch.

and yeah that guy claiming to be a bolivian not knowing that one of the top opposition leaders is an out-and-out nazi was pretty funny

I got a month probation for doubting fnox and refusing to commit to “maduro is clearly evil” messaging. it kinda sucks that ppj decided that the gusanos in the venezuela thread of yore were trustworthy and decided to punish me for being a skeptic

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

this proves nothing

why do you want to deny bolivians the freedom only the military can provide?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the great thing about militaries bringing democracy is militaries some of the most democratic institutions on earth. grunts get to elect their commanders, generals, etc all the time

what better institution to deliver free and pure democracies to nations?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mila kunis posted:

apparently nothing, because he keeps glibly ignoring and talking past everyone showing that morales won the loving elections fairly. i think he's trying to be clever but it's incredibly transparent

Greyjoy bastard is such an idiot, he still defends Kirsten gillibrand in the dem primary thread

don’t waste your breath on him

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I hope you guys aren’t posting anything from blumenthal here. he’s a gigantic monster worse than anyone, and he’s calling camancho a nazi without any evidence :qq:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Squalid posted:

Talking about how hard empathy is, sometimes when I talk to or read things written by American military people and they start on about honor and duty etc, I feel like I'm looking at some kind of amazon tribes person who just stepped out of the jungle and is wearing a penis sheath with a bone in through their nose shaking a rattle and saying "ooga booga." Like its completely foreign to me, they might as well be trying to explain Buddhist scripture. It's something I know they take seriously but I think I'll always have a hard time getting in their head.

It's the same problem I have with sincerely religious people. On an intellectual level I know they many of them must actually believe in faith and god and all that. . . but it's so divorced from my own experience I tend to assume its just a mask for something I can grasp like greed or humanism or w/e. Again intellectually I know this is wrong and many people actually do believe in religions. . . it's just very hard for me to relate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wow these opposition supporters are very woke people

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

brugroffil posted:

idk I think there's a difference between say US Democrat-style neoliberalism and the rampant christo-fascism we're seeing take over Bolivia

yes, there's a difference. neoliberals are polite fascists.

how stringently have the neoliberals in america opposed trumps death camps for immigrants? they can't even commit to getting rid of them in an election season and they've been funding them.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i thought warren was the first native american congress woman :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

it was gassed because none of us enjoyed dealing with it anymore and it was generating a disproportionate number of reports. it also was very old and had a baseline bias towards people who support intervention due to how the OP and thread were structured. we basically gave up on it.

the Latin America thread has become the de facto catch all and is generally better mostly because it doesn’t have the same baggage.

it doesn't help that PPJ was clearly unwilling to do what needed to be done to fix the thread. a disproportionate amount of reports came from the pro-intervention side, and PPJ would even baby them by doing stuff like giving me a month probe for not taking a strong stance on what exactly is happening in venezuela thanks to it literally being the subject of american regime change and propaganda efforts

reversal of fortune probations would work very well when you have a pissy old-guard that tries to keep debate out of their spaces via report spamming, but that would involve not coddling a stagnant community in D&D and so PPJ shrugged and gave in to the worst parts of D&D

Condiv has issued a correction as of 14:35 on Jan 24, 2020