Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Gynovore posted:

Right now, Homecoming consists 95% of people who played on the Live server; some of them spent every day missing CoH, while others are "eh, it's back, I'll play a few sewer runs". However, pretty soon word will leak out to the people who never played the original, that they can play a top-tier MMO for free with all the bells and whistles. Then, the server will be overwhelmed by the hordes of grubby pubbies who infest every F2P game.

When we start seeing accounts named xXxGokuWeedLord420xXx, it will be time to pack it in.

You take that back. The first character I made on Indom is VegetaWeedlord420, and he's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Everslain posted:

I went with Sonic on my Defender for -Resistance.

I wanted to love Mastermind but I took Ninjas, Necro, and Demons to their last pet + last enhancement and wasn't having fun. I had more fun supporting my teams with the support kits than I did managing pets. I was using key binds that made it much easier but I just got frustrated by having to replace them occasionally and manage their movement. Plus it just didn't feel that good to sic pets on things as opposed to beating the snot out of everything or blowing poo poo up.

MMs either click with you or they don't. I like them because in groups you mostly just let them go hog wild while you play babby defender and run the leadership auras, but they're not focused on anything. They are probably the closest to a jack of all trades type class. They don't anything super well, but they put out decent damage while supporting and can still solo.

They are definitely more work for lesser effect on any one thing, especially when Brutes exist, and their numbers don't compare to a full Defender.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Vermain posted:

That's fair. I simply don't value raw damage as highly as utility, especially the utility of Parry and the ability to slot Achilles' Heel. You can get the same defense with Katana (which is functionally the same as Broadsword) and superior defense with Titan Weapons, but if you're looking solely at Sword/Mace/Axe, I'd take Sword every time.

Mace is kind of one note, but it's a pretty good note for a tanker. High damage, PBAOE stun and a pretty decent sized cone knockback, and all their single target has some CC built in.

I ran a Shield/WM tanker on live that was a blast. Shield charge in, wait a tic for Against All Odds to kick in, PBAOE, one shot most of the minions and then drop Shatter and hit a boss like a goddamn truck.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

HPanda posted:

I’m having trouble deciding between playing my SJ/elec or TW/Bio brute. They’re both so satisfying to play. Do I focus on Space Pirate or Ent Knight...

Doesn't matter, you will come up with a great character concept and get distracted within 2 hours.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

Why is it fire that is the farm critter of choice? why not Axe, or ice or psionic?

It's actually fire armor combined with a heavy AOE damage set.

Fire Defense has a damage aura. It also innately has a poo poo ton of fire resist, a self heal and a stamina drain.

Combine that with Spines or Rad melee and you now have two damage auras, dealing fire and toxic.

Now you make an Architect mission full of enemies that deal exclusively fire damage (not fire/smashing or anything) and have really great energy/ice/negative energy/psychic defenses/resists.

Before you get into slotting you're just taking very little damage and passively murdering all the minions.

Now add in sets and you can solo farm +4/8.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

HPanda posted:

There’s only, like, three power sets that people tend to view as being kinda bad and in need of tuning. Even then, I think the only sets that risk being kicked from groups are knockback-heavy sets. Not sure anyone ever says no to a defender in the group.

Only if it's somehow a group of 6 defenders and you'd be the 7th.

If there's already 7, you obviously get accepted for a gimmick group.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nessus posted:

I remember I was playing live when they introduced ED so it wasn't just "5 dam/1 acc for everything forever" and oh man I dimly remember a deep, juicy vein of salt. Such as we may not see again until someone else makes a change in a video game!

Not that they weren't nerds freaking out over positive changes, but it is important to remember that there was a year and a half between Enhancement Diversification and Inventions. You had some neat options with Hamidon stuff but there weren't set bonuses yet.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Willpower's auto-taunt aura gives you +Regen, so the more trouble you're in the more you heal.

The one that's going to steal the show is Shield, as it gets a damage buff and a teleport and you can pick up another teleport attack in Fighting and never walk, just instapunch from group to group.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

also I want to respond to bits I've skimmed out of John Murdoch's post but I'm gonna take a minute to actually read all of it

The craziest thing about the dev stories is how common poo poo like this was before WoW got it's poo poo together. Even vanilla WoW has some cult of personality/anti-fun nerf stories.

The second craziest thing is the parallels you can draw between those games and a current crop of failures. Anthem is falling into some of the same traps of fundamentally misunderstanding their own math.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

It's your free time, value fun over optimum efficiency. My spines/elec is about 80% spines/fire on farming (had a spines/fire on live) but is leagues more survivable in literally any other content besides highly curated AE mobs. Prettier and more fun concept too.

I made a boring old rad/fire farmer, just getting him up and really running. I don't even hate the conceptor design, but he will never be used a lot outside of AE farming.

I don't even like playing brutes most of the time, but I was sick last weekend and wanted something mindless to do while I watched bad tv.

He exists to feed my more fun alts. VegetaWeedlord420 needs sweet orange/purple sets!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

spectralent posted:

The nature of CoH is any primary works, though. The only bad defender primary is poison, because it excels at single-target debuffs in a game that's almost always about fighting large mobs. Storm and Traps take a bit of finesse, but don't suck. I'd also recommend Dark, Radiation, Time and Thermal, which are also relatively easy-to-use and pretty powerful.

Poison does a bunch of aoe debuffing, just not as much as the single target. It's an AV destroying machine.

It mostly suffers because it was never meant to be a defender set. It's got a bunch of control powers without being a controller, and it's T9 is PBAOE. Which is great when you're putting it on a henchman, less so when it's a toggle on your squishy defender self.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

spectralent posted:

Yeah, basically. I'm not sure they do it better, but they certainly do it well enough that you're not going to go "Oh, poo poo, we needed a Poison and all we've got is this Radiation defender!", while being way more useful at other stuff. I mean, I played it on an MM on live and it was fine, but it's also outclassed for most content by every other set.

In a world where some people espouse the values of Trick Arrow, Poison is fine.

It's might not be 100% optimal, but it's a perfectly serviceable set, and excels at end game AV wrecking.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

The content for switching is still there, and it's super convenient to just pop over to join a goon team or do the arc for the villain power pools, and then pop back.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

HPanda posted:

Yeah, I just didn't really know what else to put in that fourth slot, and Beast Mastery involves shooting bees and ravens at people, so...

Beasts are at least consistent in their suicidal running around, unlike zombies.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I can't take it any more.

Poison is king of the god drat hill for AV busting. It's a great loving set. You want to make a team of "gently caress everything"? Poison/Son, Cold/Son, and Kin/Son defender on a team. The other five can be wtfever, it doesn't matter. You already won.

Plz add this to the OP.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Hakarne posted:

For MM chat, there's a guy on the homecoming forums (Dixa) that has been testing a bunch of high-end MM sets on their test server. He found that demons/thermal ended up being one of the best all-arounders especially for killing AVS. This is just one of the threads but he posted some builds here.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,4276.0.html

He posted a video soloing an AV and I decided to roll one. Not so much because he solo'd an AV with it, but because holy poo poo you can actually deal with AoE and not get wiped out. I had a thugs/poison and thugs/traps on live with softcapped defenses, and they were great unless something actually got through the defense in which case all your loving pets died. Thermal with demons apparently caps your pets resistance to drat near everything except Psi (he posted a spreadsheet in another thread but I can't find it). You also get a spammable AoE heal on a short cooldown, a large single target heal for your pets, AoE -res and -Def, and a -500% regen power.

I rolled one myself and it's only level 10, but just having a s/l/e shield with good heals has made my pets way more survivable. It's great. I'm trying a different (and cheaper) build from Dixa's but he has some good info to go by.

I rolled one based just on theme, and she's pretty good.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Remora posted:

I mean, I've been buying some low-level Inventions because they beat Training Enhancements and the extra cash beats the annoyance value of reslotting poo poo every five levels, and I usually get level 10s for 1000-1500 inf, and some of the weird ones like Jump and Run (gently caress you Hurdle is just sitting there open and it bugs me) I usually get for 1.

Seconding that Resist Damage is nuts overpriced right now tho.

Fire brute farming fucks up the market.

Which is why I made a fire brute farmer and can throw around a couple mil like it ain't no thang.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

I love being a tank. seeing the teams brutes think they are the toughest thing in the world, to watch them fold and fall, when they rush ahead to stealth the objectives, and here comes my tank with the rest of the team following at my walking pace and i wipe the enemy group in my own time is an awesome feeling. get 2 tanks working in concert, and you will have the armored core of your team that will be the iron teeth pulling the mobs into the wood-chipper. get a bad tank that thinks they know everything and it slows you down. i love playing tanks. They are aggro management. get ahead of your team, piss off everything, and keep aggroing more and more into the rains and patches that melted that first group. then aggro more. no. more. more than that.

CoH tankers are great. First because you can almost always get a group, which alleviates their biggest problem of low DPS. Second, you can build yourself to be almost goddamn unkillable, which lets your team kill tougher poo poo. And third, you don't have to do poo poo in a group besides keep aggro, and most of them have auras that most of that heavy lifting. Your job is to not die, you have tons of blasters and corruptors and stalkers and brutes to do the killing.

Not that you can't build a high DPS tanker, but even then you'll NEVER compete with a well built DPS. So if you stop worrying about that, and focus on staying alive and keeping your teammates alive, you can just jump in, toss some AOEs, taunt anything shooting towards your defenders and then take a drink of your beer no problem.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

here comes the spunk posted:

So I'm messing around with a Shield/Mace tank and don't really want to do much but taunts groups and not really attack. Would it be worth looking into like tough and weave to add to my shields buffs?

Shield/Mace is probably the closest thing to a DPS Tanker build, lean into it.

That being said, Tough and Weaver are super solid tanker choices until you start getting into high level IO Sets and can do silly poo poo like softcap without them.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

year199X posted:

Are PB/WS still considered bad by most people? I had a ton of fun leveling one on live.

They're fine at 50, if a bit boring because the best end game builds are human form. If you're having fun, live the dream!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dareon posted:

Animal CTRL, Beast/Sonic Mastermind. I don't like that I have only three attacks and two of them are Brawl and my origin power. I get that an MM is meant to stand back and let his pets do the work, but with only one wolf that's a lot of dead air.

Hit the P2W vendor, she will give you 3 bonus attacks that fill in a lot of space on low level mm/defenders.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

here comes the spunk posted:

Maybe inside of miles and miles of dirty industrial buildings, one of them has a nice food court

You know a couple of heroes got teleportation or superspeed and then realized they could make pretty good money on delivery tips.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

mastajake posted:

Man, I’m like the only goon (certainly the only one on WS18) that enjoys sentinels, and man that sounds awful. I mean, it can maybe work regardless (Aeric made a mostly melee only DP/nin blaster that rocks) because this game is incredible, but still.

And here's part of what makes CoX such a beautiful unicorn: he is totally able to do that and with IO sets can be as effective as a baseline SO scrapper and can solo some +1/4 content and live his dumbass dream.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Good to know. I'm an inveterate caster in MMOs, though, I don't tend to like melee. I've been browsing the wiki and looking over power sets, and for good or ill the ones that have caught my imagination haven't been talked about much if at all in this game.

There's no unsalvagable powersets. There's a handful that require some extra attention or are slow at lower levels, but literally everything is viable. Go for theme, figure out math later.

Cythereal posted:

Probably won't look into trying the game until my current MMO subscription expires, but where would I go (PM me if :files: is indeed a concern) for a step by step guide to getting the game up and running?

It's just like any other AAA MMO. There's a launcher (I think it's linked in PGS, or on the Homecoming forums). You run it. It downloads the game. Register an account on the server you want to play on. Login. Play.

Cythereal posted:

Also, how much does origin affect the game, if at all? I have no idea how story-focused or not this game is.

There's an intro arc at the beginning that changes, and it it affects your starting temp power (but you can change that). Also the names of your non-IO enhancements. That's about it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dareon posted:

Spines/Fire Aura, just turn on the farts and hide in a dumpster.

Brute, Spine/Fire or Rad/Fire.

Take every AOE you can and both damage toggles and both build ups. Augment with a powerful single target attack or two for bosses. Recommended that later on you pick up the Mu Mastery for even more AOEs.

Cap your fire resist (easy), fill your sets with anything that has a +fire defense bonus. Fill your inspiration bar with small purples, start off the map with 2 or 3 of them. Eat other inspirations as fast as you get them. By 16-20ish you should be able to do -1/8 or 0/8 fire farms. Ramp up the level as you can handle it.

I like the Rainbow Comicon AE mission personally, it's a nice open level and you're not killing 100 clones of the same model.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Cythereal posted:

For blasters/corruptors: electrical blast, ice blast, psychic blast.

Controllers: gravity control, plant control.

Just from the sounds of things in the wiki, a blaster with electrical blast and energy manipulation (for the buffs, not the melee) sounded good. Or secondary as storm summoning or time manipulation if I went corruptor as people recommended.

Ice Blast is a go-to for single target ranged damage. It's very good at what it does.

I cannot recommend Plant Control enough, either for a Controller or Dominator. The AOE confuse by itself is enough to make it a great set, and then carrion creepers are ALSO great. And the venus fly trap is just fun. The Sleep is a niche move, you will very rarely need it but it can be great to stop a bad pull. The Spirit Tree is pretty garbage, though.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

And in the end it won't matter because within an hour of playing you'll see something that will inspire a new costume or power set and log off to go do that, play them for a few hours, see something else that will inspire a new costume or power set, and log off to do that.

One night a group broke up because I left to make Cyb0rk, the Robotics/Sonic robot with a wolf head mastermind who's robots are named fid0 and sp0t and 0tis, at the same time someone else left to make CyBjork.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

I AM THE MOON posted:

stalker hide, stealth, ghost widow shadowmeld, combat jumping, weave boom 5 gamblers for 37.5% global recharge at the low low cost of 7 power choices (hide is mandatory, weave has 2 prereqs, shadowmeld has 1) and like 40m inf

(stalker elec armor fuckin rules and i did this on my kin/elec except i couldn't fit stealth. i forget what i got instead)

I believe Maneuvers and Vengeance each take LotG as well.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

I AM THE MOON posted:

counterpoint: shove as much in as possible its a gift from the perma-hasten gods

5 LotG + the 20% built in from Elec Armor is a little over half of what you need for Permahasten, if I'm napkin mathing this correctly.

Hasten needs 275% total, but it gives itself 70%, so you're aiming for 205%. Triple slotting it in same level IOs gives you for 95% so realistically you need 110% from other sources. 5x LotG + 20% = 57.5 so you only need 52.5% from other sources.

You can sneak a little more out by upgrading the slots in Hasten, and fit an extra 15-20% from the Agility incarnate slot, but you're primed to hit permahasten without dipping spending half a billion inf on sets.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

hup posted:

What the hell HOW

From a technical standpoint, they're just buttons. You just gotta add them to the Keybind settings and it'll save 'em in the config file.

I had CoH setup with controller support during the original run using a combination of custom keybinds and a controller mapper.

If I recall, I had all 4 face buttons and all 4 D Pad controls set to 1-8, the joypads set to move and camera, L1 and R1 set to target next/target last, and L2 and R2 were set to cycle the Action Bar up or down. So 8 buttons + 9 actions bars = 72 possible actions.

If I recall, I ended up setting 1-3 the same on most/all bars so I would also have my basic attack chain, and could just cycle through the rest. It worked pretty well with Mastermind once I got the macros all setup.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

They better not have touched Vegeta Weedlord 420.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's also entirely possible that they made the announcement and did some quick bans so that if Marvel/DC comes knocking in the future, they can point to it and say "We tried, the users are just too sneaky!", and have no real plans to continue to enforce this stuff.

Copyright law is a lot of shadow theater. It's is less about ACTUALLY keeping anyone from using your stuff ever, and more about being able to say that you tried to protect it so nobody can claim you abandoned it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Crasical posted:

I can personally vouch for Staff primary on a stalker. Pick the secondary based on your own concept.

Staff Stalker is a pro pick.

It normally lacks single target damage. But the stalker version replaces its weak rear end ST damage with Assassin's Strike and keeps all the rad AOE twirly poo poo.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

:D She's got a clutch of macros for power call-outs, too. Obviously she can suspend traffic, freeze baddies, the shields are naturally firewall protocols, etc. Snow Storm is actually inflicting packet loss and Dimension Shift is her shunting an area into a different partition. Only thing I don't think I ever quite figured out is what Sleet would be...

DDOS?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And now I'm envisioning a future where NCSoft successfully brought CoH to consoles.

I had it setup in the original release between a combination of manually editing the config file and some in game macros.

Left stick to move and turn, right stick for camera. Right stick click to jump.

D pad was each set to open a specific bar, each bar would have 1-4 mapped to a face button and then would swap to 1-4 of the 2nd bar with the left trigger. Then I'd macro my rotation for that character to switch bars when needed.

Shoulder buttons were target next/target closest.

Right trigger + right joystick was move the mouse, right trigger + shoulder buttons were mouse click. Once you got it positioned, teleporting wasn't hard. Definitely needed Hover to go with it though.

It took a bit to learn but

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

NachtSieger posted:

This sounds pretty loving rad.

There was some Xbox Controller software floating around that let you map things to whatever the hell you wanted, so playing around with Shift+Whatever, Ctrl+Whatever and Alt+Whatever let you get away with a LOT of nonsense.

Still needed to grab the mouse for crafting and leveling and whatnot, but it was great to just sit back as a tanker or scrapper and do your rotation and chillax.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

hobocrunch posted:

But I'm looking to reroll something supporty whether it's a tank / cc / another defender, what's the need right now? (Assuming always healers). Though I'm Aussie anyhow not sure how much I'll get to play with yall.

Don't heal. Heals are for suckers.

The real support in COH is speed. Anything that makes people recharge faster, hit harder or just plain run faster.

If you don't wanna do that, the next most effective thing is making your team get hit less. There's a couple good defender sets for this... plus there are 2.5 entire archetypes. Controllers and Dominators, and kinda Masterminds using their pets as cannon fodder.

Late game, if people are taking significant damage they can't heal themselves, they're probably taking it fast enough that your heal won't finish casting before they're dead.

There's no tank/dps/healer trinity in this game. Some of the most effective groups are 8x blasters just absolutely MELTING anything that dares look their way. Or 8x defenders all buffed to the gills, spamming their most powerful attacks with reduced cooldown, reduced end, maxed out defenses and resistances. Or 8x stalkers just running to the end of a map and one shotting the boss and his entire squad with crit AOEs.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Soonmot posted:

How is Shield? I just started a WM/Shield scrapper.

I can't speak for scrapper but I had a shield/warmace tanker on live that was a beast. Good defenses and shield charge, plus great aoe and solid single target on the mace.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Do I have to build a blaster to farm if I want to do end game content? I'm interested in the heavy CC builds more and I don't want ot be screwed if I jinvest in that.

Also is there a melee CC archetype?

If you're talking about properly farming a shitload of money to buy the high end sets, you're looking for a Rad/Fire Brute.

Melee CC would be a Tanker with a weapon that can disorient/stun (war mace) and a secondary that pairs well with that (I like shield).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Yeah seriously, the villain ones are amazing. Crab Spiders do huge AoEs, Widows stab people for tons of damage, Forts have tons of AoE mezzes and also good damage. Banes aren't quite as amazing but are still decent. All of them have mez protection and general sturdiness, plus team buffs. That's kinda the key point here; Kheldians get (wimpy) bonuses from teams, while VEATs give bonuses to their team.

A couple of times I've been involved in all Spider teams, and they're HILARIOUS. Even before you hit 20, you can crank the difficulty up because you have so many buffs of all kinds.